Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

1stGear posted:

I've been catching up on some of the DX video watching that I haven't been doing and I gotta say, the universe is kinda depressing. It's bad enough watching this and seeing what an already lovely state the world is going to and its worse knowing that it doesn't get better. No matter what Adam achieves in Human Revolution, the writers still have to leave the world in the crappy state it's in Deus Ex 1. The entire series is just a slow spiral into the effective end of humanity.

And its even more depressing knowing that's basically the direction reality is going in as well.

Direction? You are making a fundamental mistake that things necessarily progress towards "being worse", or rather, that things used to be better. Do you think the past was really that great? The world was really as wholesome as people pretended it to be, everything as idealistic and honest and yada yada yada? If you really do, you must be one sheltered soul. Our world is one of constant revolution and strife. Control and violence. Sometimes small, sometimes big.

The world has lots of depressing poo poo in it. It always has, and it always will. It's a constant fight. The only thing that "improves" is, well, technology. Remember that with Deus Ex: Human Revolution a victory may not be an eternal one, and sometimes a little difference can make a BIG difference in the long run. Who knows what Adam will accomplish and what he does in the story at this point until we play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Either way, it's just going to get lovely again no matter what improves! It's the nature of humans in general, even in Deus Ex Land. In fact, the things that get lovely vary from region to region. Even from person to person. It's like a rollercoaster with six billion people on it.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Everything is poo poo and we're all gonna die. I can't wait until I'm dead and some scientist is cutting up my dead dick. The future is gonna be awesome. You could say I'm an optimist.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zorak posted:

Direction? You are making a fundamental mistake that things necessarily progress towards "being worse", or rather, that things used to be better. Do you think the past was really that great? The world was really as wholesome as people pretended it to be, everything as idealistic and honest and yada yada yada? If you really do, you must be one sheltered soul. Our world is one of constant revolution and strife. Control and violence. Sometimes small, sometimes big.

Misery has been a pretty constant theme in human history, but the difference is scale. A wealthy nobleman in 12th century England didn't have a whole lot of influence on a global scale, not without an immense amount of effort. A wealthy corporation today can change the entire world nearly on a whim.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Zorak posted:

The world has lots of depressing poo poo in it. It always has, and it always will. It's a constant fight. The only thing that "improves" is, well, technology. Remember that with Deus Ex: Human Revolution a victory may not be an eternal one, and sometimes a little difference can make a BIG difference in the long run. Who knows what Adam will accomplish and what he does in the story at this point until we play it.

Also, the "best" ending to Invisible War essentially sees humanity evolve as one into a shared consciousness that is instantly aware of the needs, thoughts, and desires of the whole group.

It takes a plague-ridden dystopia, a half dozen government conspiracies, and a collapse to get there, but hey, prequel.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Always merge you consciousness with a sentient A.I. imho

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Twist: the ending of DXHR has you merge your consciousness with Gunther Hermann's robot brain

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

1stGear posted:

A wealthy corporation today can change the entire world nearly on a whim.
...well, maybe for exceedingly minor values of 'change the entire world.'

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

the_Vandal posted:

Always merge you consciousness with a sentient A.I. imho

That was always the most bewildering thing to me about the Deus Ex endings. "So JC, you can send the entire planet back to the Stone Age, just switch the players around on this vast conspiracy you've uncovered, or create a benevolent omnipotent dictatorship because people are stupid and AIs aren't."

It's not even good/bad, its huge dick/slightly smaller dick/p. cool guy.

quote:

...well, maybe for exceedingly minor values of 'change the entire world.'

"You know what's a great idea guys, taking sub-prime mortgages." -Every bank, pre-2008.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

bloodysabbath posted:

Also, the "best" ending to Invisible War...

Though the Omar was slightly scary motherfuckers, I found the best ending of Invisible War to be the Omar endning. While humanity had finally blasted themselves into bits with nuclear weapons and stuff like that, the Omar would prosper and spread out from Earth.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Linguica posted:

Twist: the ending of DXHR has you merge your consciousness with Gunther Hermann's robot brain

I thought he turned in to a real boy at the end. Maybe you didn't get the good ending.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Prediction on an optional bad ending if you are a complete fuckup throughout the game: When everything is said and done, Jensen goes back to HQ, eats some vending machine food, sits down at his desk, and broods about how terrible the universe is and dwells on the past for eight hours. The devs lied, everyone, the game is only two hours long if you play stealth. Or, at least, if you play stealth and fail miserably.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
To get the real ending you have to talk to every NPC 100 times and only use the first pistol. It turns out Sarrif industries stole Jensen's DNA and experimented with it in order to create the next generation's ultimate weapon, the GEP gun.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Pretentious Turtle posted:

It's better than Infinite War, and is definite GOTY material, and quite possibly (to me at least) will be better than the original.

If the leak is any indication, the gameplay is more fun than the original (mainly because of the stealth-based cover and regenerating health as much as people will hate to admit it), but it's not as revolutionary as a whole. There is no argument that it is better than Infinite War.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Linguica posted:

The real twist is that before you merged, he actually did want lemon-lime. :twisted:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Don't know if this has been posted but Green Man Gaming has this on sale and there's an additional promo code. I was on the fence for $45 and thought I'd wait for a sale. However I just bought it for $34, got my CD-key and am now pre-loading the game on Steam.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rpgs/deus-ex-human-revolution/
Promo: 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
You know, I have a gut feeling that Jensen is JC and Paul's father. I have read/played/watched a metric ton of books/games/movies and my Spidey-sense is tingling. I have no actual evidence to support this, and I didn't play the leak.

EDIT: Reading though that manual posted earlier, it's full of strange nonsense words like F1 and PEGI. Those aren't Xbox buttons! On the other hand, it does confirm that the people you take out by nonlethal means need to be concealed or their buddies can wake them up. That's nice to know.

Jenova Project fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 21, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am going into this game completely fresh. I have not watched any trailer other than the e3 one and know nothing about the game. I can't wait for it to unlock.

Pc goons should come hang out at #pcgaming @ irc.synirc.net , type !de3 for realtime update on how much time left for unlock :v:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, it was $28.80 on GMG for the regular version during the Magicka sale; I wonder how they can "undersell" it? It was a pain for me to pre-order it because of their verification system, though, had to borrow a card. I think they still have the $5 credit referral thing (to both parties) if you sign up under a referral. Also, they mentioned no more DX:HR sales after this weekend. Now I just hope the DLC doesn't stay exclusive!

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Jenova Project posted:

You know, I have a gut feeling that Jensen is JC and Paul's father. I have read/played/watched a metric ton of books/games/movies and my Spidey-sense is tingling. I have no actual evidence to support this, and I didn't play the leak.

EDIT: Reading though that manual posted earlier, it's full of strange nonsense words like F1 and PEGI. Those aren't Xbox buttons! On the other hand, it does confirm that the people you take out by nonlethal means need to be concealed or their buddies can wake them up. That's nice to know.

F1 is a race car and PEGI is Hank Hill's wife. I think it's very cool that this game has a tie-in with King of the Hill. Propane powered augmentations? Hell yes. My grill is augmented.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jenova Project posted:

From what I remember of Deus Ex 1, both Paul and JC are clones. JC is a clone of Paul. You see their tanks at the very end of the game. You also see Alex Denton's clone tank at Area 51 as well.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
/\/\/\/\/\ Pretty sure Paul was the original deal. He came first at any rate, but if he was a clone or some sort of vatspawn, he wouldn't remember anyway. Too bad about the parents dying so young...

the_Vandal posted:

F1 is a race car and PEGI is Hank Hill's wife. I think it's very cool that this game has a tie-in with King of the Hill. Propane powered augmentations? Hell yes. My grill is augmented.

Now I'm just super exited. King of the Hill and race cars! :swoon:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I remember of Deus Ex 1, both Paul and JC are clones. JC is a clone of Paul. You see their tanks at the very end of the game. You also see Alex Denton's clone tank at Area 51 as well.

Paul is alive in Deus Ex Human Revolution. He was born in 2018.

J.C. is Paul's clone, and is born in 2029.

Edit: I hope in a sequel they reveal the name in J.C.'s initials.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 21, 2011

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Jenova Project posted:

Now I'm just super exited. King of the Hill and race cars! :swoon:

I hope you're serious and not trolling the most troll free forums on the 'net. If you're serious then I agree. I love wasting non-renewable resources and a show that should still be made. Dale Gribble is going to be a perfect fit for this conspiracy!

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the_Vandal posted:

I hope you're serious and not trolling the most troll free forums on the 'net. If you're serious then I agree. I love wasting non-renewable resources and a show that should still be made. Dale Gribble is going to be a perfect fit for this conspiracy!

Dale's got it all figured out. It's why he stole Rusty Shackleford's identity, to hide deeper in the shadows. Fa-sha-sha-sha!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

doctor 7 posted:

Don't know if this has been posted but Green Man Gaming has this on sale and there's an additional promo code. I was on the fence for $45 and thought I'd wait for a sale. However I just bought it for $34, got my CD-key and am now pre-loading the game on Steam.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rpgs/deus-ex-human-revolution/
Promo: 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS

Thanks! I hadn't even considered buying this game but that price is too good to pass up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Paul is alive in Deus Ex Human Revolution. He was born in 2018.

J.C. is Paul's clone, and is born in 2029.

The bible says Paul was born in 2018, then was cloned a decade later and JC was born in 2029.

edit: I'm an idiot and didn't notice the edit

Momomo fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 21, 2011

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Jenova Project posted:

Dale's got it all figured out. It's why he stole Rusty Shackleford's identity, to hide deeper in the shadows. Fa-sha-sha-sha!

Imagine having to get information from a guy and something explodes off-screen, and you look away but for a moment. When you look back the person you were getting info from is halfway over a fence/assuming a squirrel-style stance. This is totally going to happen! I can't wait.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Jesus Christ, Denton.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^Paul: Jesus Christ, JC!

:siren:Deus Ex spoilers. I guess, seems kind of late to point it out though I think the other thread would've been better to take it to. Skip if you don't want Deus Ex background and speculation:
Yeah, you're all right, at least according to the Deus Ex Bible (search "JC and Paul Denton -- A Detailed Biography" and down). Not sure that Paul is really a clone even though he has a vat at the end, though, the bible doesn't mention it (doesn't mean it wasn't changed, but the vat could've just been for nano-augmentation or testing). Then again, in-game, after Lebedev, Paul mentions: "Remember, I knew them longer than you did, and after what Tong showed me, I'm pretty certain we don't have a stitch of DNA in common with either of our supposed parents." That kinda goes against the bible how Paul and even his parents were screened, not to mention it makes any reason for the cover-up killing of the parents dubious and Paul's "revenge", so who really knows? Just another inconsistency between the game and the bible. Another part of the bible mentions:
"A few [of Paul's clones] were allowed to live, so the scientists could perform further physiological and nano-technological studies on them as they grew older... In one or two cases, though, the experiments were successful." Still, the dates make it seem less likely that Paul is a clone (why have Paul, have a clone, remove the original Paul, make a modified clone on top of that, and then try to kill Paul again?).
DX:HR takes place in 2027, so Paul (born 2018) is around 9.

Paul gets a lot of hate for some reason (probably the pacifist, anti-UNATCO stuff), I always liked him and even more after checking out the bible. Plus the lovely role he self-undertakes in DX:IW, even though he's pretty much screwed over and a lame duck until the end. Also, his weapon is pretty funny even if the AI can't handle..

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"Jesus Christ, Denton!"

e:f;b.
But at least I had a video too:smuggo:

Iacen fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 21, 2011

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Alright time to partition my Macbook Pro for this poo poo

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'm reading elsewhere that you can totally screw yourself with the bosses if you don't add some combat augmentations:( no killswitch equiv or alt kills. just gun gun gun

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my country I can get the game digitally for a little under $25 (they email you the steam key at release) or I can get it from an online retailer for about $29 including shipment but, even though they promised to send the game by courier on release day, that store has a reputation of sometimes being late with preorders.
Thing is, the retail version comes with this extra stuff:

So is that bonus pack worth $4 and the risk of getting the game a couple days late?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jut posted:

I'm reading elsewhere that you can totally screw yourself with the bosses if you don't add some combat augmentations:( no killswitch equiv or alt kills. just gun gun gun

Yeah, but as a minor plus the first boss isnt immune to stealth and doesent know where you are at all times. So if you're doing a stealthy build hit and run tactics can work.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Jut posted:

I killed the first boss with no combat augmentations. Stealth, throw an EMP grenade, then run up and empty a shotgun into his face while he's twitching.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

To my great shame I've never played through the original Deus Ex. I have it installed on my computer, but haven't gotten around to playing it. I played a bit of the Liberty Island intro, but felt like I kept screwing up, and didn't get around to passing it and getting to the real game. I did play Invisible War before ever trying Deus Ex, and I really liked it at the time. How screwed will I be plot-wise without playing the original?

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked a lot, but I didn't find anything in the (amazing) OP

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Euphoriaphone posted:

How screwed will I be plot-wise without playing the original?

Considering Human Revolution is a prequel to the first two DX games, probably not screwed at all.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Probably even better off since you wont be clued in at all about the main conspiracies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Considering Human Revolution is a prequel to the first two DX games, probably not screwed at all.

Yeah, in the leak there's a few nods to the later games, but you're not missing anything by not being aware of them. It's kinda like watching the new BBC "Sherlock" without having read any of the original stories - nothing will spoil your enjoyment, but you'll probably get a kick out of going through it again if you play the original games later.

• Locked thread