Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

ASSTASTIC posted:

Probably, but one major thing that was missing was the amount of fake food the Seattle exhibit had vs the NYC one. This was like year 1 props that weren't in NYC.
Dragon's blood is pretty expensive now days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Has anyone received their Pottermore emails yet? Friends of mine have already received theirs but I have yet to get mine.

The girl who plays Luna Lovegood in the movies managed to get sorted into Gryffindor. So I guess it's really up to what you answer.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

courtney_beth posted:

Has anyone received their Pottermore emails yet? Friends of mine have already received theirs but I have yet to get mine.

The girl who plays Luna Lovegood in the movies managed to get sorted into Gryffindor. So I guess it's really up to what you answer.

Oh good, then getting sorted into Gryffindor should be pretty easy (I'm too dumb for Ravenclaw :smithicide: ).

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I just want to be sorted into Hufflepuff. Actually any of the houses other than Gryffindor would be amazing because you get a "unique" experience from Harry.

Once you guys get sorted, please post what house you were sorted into. I'm curious as to where we all end up.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Obligatory Toast posted:

Oh good, then getting sorted into Gryffindor should be pretty easy (I'm too dumb for Ravenclaw :smithicide: ).

Well, you're at least smart enough to recognize that Ravenclaw is the best house. In any event, you don't actually need to be smart to be in Ravenclaw - you just need to value knowledge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, you're at least smart enough to recognize that Ravenclaw is the best house. In any event, you don't actually need to be smart to be in Ravenclaw - you just need to value knowledge.

If you're not smart then your rear end gets locked out of the dorm every time you leave though.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
The Ravenclaw common room door is the best and my favourite thing in the entire series. The best.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

courtney_beth posted:

And apparently she's having a bit of an identity crisis.

http://twitter.com/!/evy_lynch

EDIT: Holy poo poo look at that picture. :psyduck:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Evanna Lynch seems so down to earth. I think she's just like the rest of us as we find out our houses. Also - it's really cool that she's best friends with the girl who played Pansy Parkinson in the Potter films :)

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

courtney_beth posted:

I just want to be sorted into Hufflepuff. Actually any of the houses other than Gryffindor would be amazing because you get a "unique" experience from Harry.

Once you guys get sorted, please post what house you were sorted into. I'm curious as to where we all end up.

I got in on the first day. I'm in Gryffindor.

The house with the most members (by a long shot) is Ravenclaw. There are almost 7,000 people in Ravenclaw. The other 3 houses each have about 5,500.

There are about 23,500 people total in Hogwarts...which means only about 2% of the 1 million beta testers have access right now.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And apparently she's having a bit of an identity crisis.

http://twitter.com/!/evy_lynch

EDIT: Holy poo poo look at that picture. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo that picture is awesome and creepy

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I wonder how they're going to get 1 million people in before the October deadline - only 2% in a week? Ouch.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I doubt it'll stay at 2% a week. It'll probably scale up rapidly once there are no site breaking incidents.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Yay, boyfriend got his e-mail today!

Currently at 25,950 students at Hogwarts, so almost 2.6% of the 1 million.

In other news, people found a loophole in potions brewing and took advantage of it to gain house points. There's a ridiculous amount of scheming going on off-site.

When something like this occurs during beta testing, is it basically just a learning experience for the developers, or are the members likely to get in trouble?

I only tried it once (and couldn't get it to work), and I haven't tried it since because it feels wrong. One week in and already it's nutty.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
What house did your boyfriend get sorted into?

Still waiting (patiently?) for my email.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
2.6%, wow that's ridiculously slow gating. No way in hell I would even have contemplated trying to stay up to like 5am if I knew there was a good chance I wouldn't even get in until maybe a couple weeks out from general admittance.

(I eventually got in at like one of the 4pm ones or something)

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

courtney_beth posted:

What house did your boyfriend get sorted into?

Still waiting (patiently?) for my email.

Hufflepuff! He desperately wanted to get into Hufflepuff, so I'm really happy for him. I knew as soon as I met him that he was a Hufflepuff :3:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Am I the only one who doesn't have a house preference? I want to see where her little diagnostic test thing places me based on what I say.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
You're going to Ravenclaw

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Speaking of Ravenclaw, there's still a ridiculous number of them. 8,000 Ravenclaws, and about 6,400 in each of the other houses.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Pig Boots, what day did you and your boyfriend register with the magic quill challenge? 1st day? 2nd day?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The only reason there are so many Ravenclaws right now is because Ravenclaw is the NERD house and everyone who got into this beta test is obviously a NERD. If everyone answered honestly (not trying to get into a specific house), then all of Hogwarts right now would be Ravenclaw.

I am going to answer honestly but since I am a power hungry teacher, I am hoping to get into Slytherin (SNAPE REPRESENTIN')

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The only reason there are so many Ravenclaws right now is because Ravenclaw is the NERD house and everyone who got into this beta test is obviously a NERD. If everyone answered honestly (not trying to get into a specific house), then all of Hogwarts right now would be Ravenclaw.

I am going to answer honestly but since I am a power hungry teacher, I am hoping to get into Slytherin (SNAPE REPRESENTIN')

My wife says I would be in Slytherin and would love it. I agree, now show me some of that sweet dark magic! :)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Scissors posted:

Pig Boots, what day did you and your boyfriend register with the magic quill challenge? 1st day? 2nd day?

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. I got in of the first day, and I haven't gotten my email yet, where as I've seen people who got in on the fourth or fifth day who are now in and have been sorted.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Scissors posted:

We registered on the first day, but it's random. A friend of mine also registered on the first day, and he still hasn't gotten his e-mail. Also, when I look at people's profiles on Pottermore, I can see that they registered on different days. You just have to get lucky. I got in on the first day of beta, boyfriend got in 1 week later.

Update: Now up to nearly 2.8% of the 1 million

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. I got in of the first day, and I haven't gotten my email yet, where as I've seen people who got in on the fourth or fifth day who are now in and have been sorted.

I got in the second day and haven't gotten my e-mail yet.

Still waiting patiently but I sure wouldn't have stayed up til 3 AM had I known I wouldn't get first dibs on being let in.

That's what I get for being a huge nerd I suppose.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a house preference? I want to see where her little diagnostic test thing places me based on what I say.

You're not the only one. I kind of hope I don't get Gryffindor only so I can experience a different part of the books that I have before, but honestly I'm just really curious to see where the test places me. I guess that puts me in Ravenclaw as well.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Can you influence the sorting at all? Like how Harry said "not Slytherin" to the sorting hat could you do something to prevent being sorted into, say, Hufflepuff if you didn't want to?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

thrawn527 posted:

You're not the only one. I kind of hope I don't get Gryffindor only so I can experience a different part of the books that I have before, but honestly I'm just really curious to see where the test places me. I guess that puts me in Ravenclaw as well.

NERD! :argh:

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

HelixFox posted:

Can you influence the sorting at all? Like how Harry said "not Slytherin" to the sorting hat could you do something to prevent being sorted into, say, Hufflepuff if you didn't want to?

Nope. Just answer honestly and you'll end up where you're meant to go...you just have to kind of accept that wherever you're placed is where you're meant to be.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
How "meant to be" is it, like does it actually kind of justifiably work or is it just "here you go, you're in house X, deal with it".

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

arioch posted:

How "meant to be" is it, like does it actually kind of justifiably work or is it just "here you go, you're in house X, deal with it".

Regarding how it works:

You answer a series of questions (no series is the same, and the answers don't always point obviously to a certain house) and after your final question (which you are not told is your final question, I think), a page suddenly comes up with a banner in your house colors announcing "The Sorting Hat has placed you in _________." It definitely appears to be based on how you answered the questions, it's not just a random assignment.

Regarding whether or not it works:

Personally, I think it works. I always felt I belonged in Gryffindor (for personal reasons...people who didn't know me well enough would always say I should be in Ravenclaw), and I answered all the questions honestly and got placed in Gryffindor. I always felt my boyfriend was a Hufflepuff, he identified with Hufflepuff, and after giving the hat honest answers, he was placed in Hufflepuff.

I know someone who tried to sway the hat into putting her into Gryffindor by answering how she thought she should answer to get that result and she ended up in Hufflepuff. I suspect she may have gotten the house she wanted if she had just answered honestly.

The potions loophole incident and the way the house points currently stand also seem to indicate that overall, the hat is right. A Gryffindor, in his/her desire to gain more house points and general laziness found a loophole which allows potions to brew faster (in the books, Gryffindors are pretty competitive and several (primarily Harry and Ron) are a bit lazy and just want to get through their assignments with minimal effort). Slytherins and Ravenclaws then seemed to catch on. The Ravenclaws simply took advantage of the loophole and started doing it to maintain their second place position above Gryffindor. The Slytherins took advantage of the loophole, brewed like crazy, and tried to come up with schemes that would cause the loophole to be fixed only after they had pulled far ahead of everyone (however, these schemes either never went into effect, or they didn't go as planned, since Gryffindor is now in the lead). As for the Hufflepuffs...well, they've always been in last place and don't seem too concerned about the whole House Cup thing.

I'm probably over-thinking all of this, but I really think the hat is accurate.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Pig Boots posted:

Regarding how it works:

You answer a series of questions (no series is the same, and the answers don't always point obviously to a certain house) and after your final question (which you are not told is your final question, I think), a page suddenly comes up with a banner in your house colors announcing "The Sorting Hat has placed you in _________." It definitely appears to be based on how you answered the questions, it's not just a random assignment.

Regarding whether or not it works:

Personally, I think it works. I always felt I belonged in Gryffindor (for personal reasons...people who didn't know me well enough would always say I should be in Ravenclaw), and I answered all the questions honestly and got placed in Gryffindor. I always felt my boyfriend was a Hufflepuff, he identified with Hufflepuff, and after giving the hat honest answers, he was placed in Hufflepuff.

I know someone who tried to sway the hat into putting her into Gryffindor by answering how she thought she should answer to get that result and she ended up in Hufflepuff. I suspect she may have gotten the house she wanted if she had just answered honestly.

The potions loophole incident and the way the house points currently stand also seem to indicate that overall, the hat is right. A Gryffindor, in his/her desire to gain more house points and general laziness found a loophole which allows potions to brew faster (in the books, Gryffindors are pretty competitive and several (primarily Harry and Ron) are a bit lazy and just want to get through their assignments with minimal effort). Slytherins and Ravenclaws then seemed to catch on. The Ravenclaws simply took advantage of the loophole and started doing it to maintain their second place position above Gryffindor. The Slytherins took advantage of the loophole, brewed like crazy, and tried to come up with schemes that would cause the loophole to be fixed only after they had pulled far ahead of everyone (however, these schemes either never went into effect, or they didn't go as planned, since Gryffindor is now in the lead). As for the Hufflepuffs...well, they've always been in last place and don't seem too concerned about the whole House Cup thing.

I'm probably over-thinking all of this, but I really think the hat is accurate.

That paragraph about the points makes me want my Welcome e-mail SO BADLY.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Crow_Robot posted:

That paragraph about the points makes me want my Welcome e-mail SO BADLY.

Haha, I only know all that stuff because of a group I'm in on Facebook (I feel kind of old for it, but it's pretty amusing). Of course, even if you had no inside info, you'd likely be amused simply by watching the house points change in a manner consistent with what you'd expect from each house. Slytherins want to win at all costs, Gryffindor is just plain competitive and wants to stop Slytherin, the Ravenclaws just don't want to look incompetent, and the Hufflepuffs...exist lol.

Edit: And now the Slytherins are reporting Gryffindors' comments just to annoy them. Oh, Slytherins :allears:

General Update:

About 31,000 people have access to Pottermore
There are about 9,500 Ravenclaws, and about 7,200 people in each of the other houses.
Points in House Cup competition are as follows: Gryffindor=4,191, Slytherin=4,141, Ravenclaw=3,931, Hufflepuff=3,771
Yet another Potions loophole has been discovered.
Dueling is down for maintenance
Potions is glitchy
There are logout/login glitches from time to time

Pig Boots fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 25, 2011

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Gonna give this bit its own post because it's interesting:

Apparently, if the Sorting Hat is really stuck between two houses when it's sorting you, it lets you choose which of those two houses you'd rather be in.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pig Boots posted:

Gonna give this bit its own post because it's interesting:

Apparently, if the Sorting Hat is really stuck between two houses when it's sorting you, it lets you choose which of those two houses you'd rather be in.

That's really cool. I wonder how often that happens? I just hope it doesn't happen to me, I could never choose.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I hate you all, every day I missed the beta thing. :(
I have to wait until it opens up to the public to start this!

Once it starts though, I'm going to start my re-read of the whole series. I'm so excited!!!

I'll be devastated if I don't get sorted into Ravenclaw though. I honestly can't see myself fitting into any other house.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I got in yesterday and finished the beta invite dealy on the first day. I was sorted into Gryffindor. I never really knew which house I'd fit into best, so I wasn't worried about it. Thanks Sorting Hat!

Potion brewing is kind of annoying since you have to check back in or it gets ruined. :(

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

DaisyDanger posted:

I got in yesterday and finished the beta invite dealy on the first day. I was sorted into Gryffindor. I never really knew which house I'd fit into best, so I wasn't worried about it. Thanks Sorting Hat!

Potion brewing is kind of annoying since you have to check back in or it gets ruined. :(

There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Pottermore is up to about 50,000 students...so 5% of the beta testers. Two of my friends got in today.

Over 14,000 Ravenclaws, about 12,000 people in each of the other houses.

As for the House Cup, Ravenclaw is winning, followed by Slytherin, Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff. No idea how that happened.

njbeachbum posted:

There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class...

The funny thing is, there *is* wand-waving in potions in Pottermore haha.

• Locked thread