Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I've never had a problem getting into Berghain (jinxing myself now I know), just leave the fedora at home, don't be incredibly drunk and at the very least be there to have a good time. It does help if you speak german and are generally chatty/friendly to other people in the line. There are also plenty of other great clubs in Berlin so don't get too hung up on it.

There's a dance festive on this month which will have stuff on this w/end http://www.tanzimaugust.de/index3.html

In other news I'm glad to see some sunshine, the last 4 weeks have sucked weather wise.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbatory Manatee
Oct 18, 2005
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
HURRRRRR
Leaving for Munich tomorrow, thanks for all the help dudes. Anyone with more munich, berlin, prague advice can email me reggieray2k gmail

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

eine dose socken posted:

There has actually been a long-going debate about whether the city-state of Berlin and the state of Brandenburg should be reunited into a state of Prussia
Bullshit. Nobody was calling it that, at least not in 1995 when I voted against it. I'd be interested in knowing who's calling it that now. The resulting new state was supposed to be called Berlin-Brandenburg.

eine dose socken posted:

, but there's not much support for the measure.
Already economically weak Brandenburg doesn't want to get saddled with non-too-shiny Berlin finances, and the very cosmopolitical Berliners don't want a bunch of province hicks to dictate their policies. It will never happen.
From my perspective back then as a Berliner (and hypothetically if I'd still be one): The union of the two states was sold as being more efficient and prosperous than the sum of the individual ones. My problem with that was that German states, like states in most countries that have them, exist for people to identify with them and not just for efficiency. I can also think of several important and successful world cities that are either their own country (Singapore), are special administrative regions within their country (Hongkong) or are near the border of their state with several others (New York City). Therefore that campaign didn't have a leg to stand on.

eine dose socken posted:

I have both German and Italian passports, but this is only possible because of a special legal agreement between the two nations.
That special agreement between the two is called "The EU". Germany accepts dual citizenship when the other one is an EU citizenship.

eine dose socken posted:

There was a very heated and partisan debate about double citizenship in the late 1990ies, the CDU/CSU tried to stir up the anti-foreign vote by outlawing it (they succeeded), so now the laws are very strict.
Mostly wrong. You're right about who's against it, but the law used to be that there was no dual citizenship at all. So they didn't succeed in outlawing it, but in largely keeping it that way. The rules about the EU citizens and the Beibehaltungsgenehmigung (possibility to keep German citizenship when getting another one under certain conditions) are more recent and are more open.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Masturbatory Manatee posted:

Leaving for Munich tomorrow, thanks for all the help dudes. Anyone with more munich, berlin, prague advice can email me reggieray2k gmail

I live in Munich. What ya need?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%E1nh_m%EC

Can I buy these sandwiches in Berlin? Or Cologne even. One thing I miss about the states is good Vietnamese food :(.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
Yes you can.
http://www.co-co.net/banh-mi/
http://www.vietbowl.de/

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009
I go here almost every weekend, it's legit delicious. And reliably open on Sundays!

Vietnamese food is actually good in Berlin. Thai is also passable. Unlike Chinese (generally awful), Japanese (ditto) and sushi (bad to middling).

Brecht fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 18, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Brecht posted:

I go here almost every weekend, it's legit delicious. And reliably open on Sundays!

Vietnamese food is actually good in Berlin. Thai is also passable. Unlike Chinese (generally awful), Japanese (ditto) and sushi (bad to middling).

Forget about Döner and Currywurst, I'm heading here for lunch this weekend then. Much thanks.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Can someone give me some tips for Friedrichshain? We're here waiting for people to get ready so it'll be a while before we head out…

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Like what? Anything in the Simon-Dach vicinity is ok to good - go right from the exit of S Warschauer Strasse, take the first right, and if you're looking to dance, keep walking and go into whatever club catches your fancy. If you go so far that you reach Ostkreuz, take the semi makeshift bridge across the station and there's another club.

If you're looking for bars, take the second or third left, the street you are looking for is called Simon Dach and there's lots of bars and tourists.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
Other than that you sent him in the completely wrong direction for clubs I support your statement.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wait, what? Turn right, turn right and there's the RAW Tempel, cassiopeia, Rosi's etc. etc. - or are you saying that those clubs are crap? Well yeah, they might be but it's the first what springs to mind when I think of Friedrichshain. v:shobon:v

The Watergate and everything else is already in Kreuzberg, so if you meant that - I followed the letter of the law at least :v:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
We went to Magnet, which sucked cause the music was terrible and then waited in line for Watergate and holy poo poo why was that line so long at 5am and just decided to get some food and go somewhere else. I'm more into house and but the people I'm with are more into party/dance/hip hop music like LMFAO's Party Rock. Any suggestions? Doesn't matter if it's in Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg :v:.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

So you did the exact opposite of what I said and had a lovely evening?

I rest my case. :colbert:

(I guess either try my directions this evening or wait for hankor to write something, you can probably combine most of those tips.)

Oh and something about the Banh Mi deli near Rosenthaler Platz: I thought the subs there are too tiny and too expensive to be even called proper subs. But then again I'm more used to the footlong croques that you get in Hamburg at La Familia and at that Portuguese shop near the uni there... anyone know similar shops that sell french style subs? There's one near my flat but it has lovely opening hours.

Oh, and for Chinese, I liked that one Chinese Restaurant near U 9 Spichernstraße, Tian Fu - Uhlandstr. 142, to be precise. They have VERY good Ma Po and the other food is good, Szechuan style stuff, too. Nothing of that 50% ground meat and red/yellow bell peppers bullshit some restaurants serve. It's almost as good as the Chinese restaurant near Hamburg's central station, forgot its name.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I think we already left when you responded :colbert:

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

Zwille posted:

Oh and something about the Banh Mi deli near Rosenthaler Platz: I thought the subs there are too tiny and too expensive to be even called proper subs.
They're not subs, they're banh mis. :confused: They're properly sized and rather cheap actually (4€).

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Ziir posted:

Forget about Döner and Currywurst, I'm heading here for lunch this weekend then. Much thanks.
Ah, this reminds me. It seems almost every street in Germany (ok a bit of an exaggeration but not by much) has a kebap place. Now in my opinion these are the best drat things especially at 3am stumbling along the streets. My question is why are there so many? Does Germany have an agreement with Turkey or wherever for immigration? In Mainz my favorite Imbiss is now a Donner Kebap stand. Sometimes an american just needs a couple pils, brotchen and a bratwurst...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Square Pair posted:

Ah, this reminds me. It seems almost every street in Germany (ok a bit of an exaggeration but not by much) has a kebap place. Now in my opinion these are the best drat things especially at 3am stumbling along the streets. My question is why are there so many? Does Germany have an agreement with Turkey or wherever for immigration? In Mainz my favorite Imbiss is now a Donner Kebap stand. Sometimes an american just needs a couple pils, brotchen and a bratwurst...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiter

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks - that was an interesting read.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Square Pair posted:

In Mainz my favorite Imbiss is now a Donner Kebap stand. Sometimes an american just needs a couple pils, brotchen and a bratwurst...

Does it happen to be the one near the Hauptbahnhof, and, if my memory serves me correctly, in one of those side streets opposite of the main entrance? Just asking, 'cause that poo poo's delicious.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Square Pair posted:

Thanks - that was an interesting read.

It's a rather loaded topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thilo_Sarrazin#Immigration.2C_Islam_and_social_welfare_controversy

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've only been to Mainz once and I don't really remember much except that hilariously awful dive bar Bavaria or whatever it's called.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Brecht posted:

They're not subs, they're banh mis. :confused: They're properly sized and rather cheap actually (4€).

Banh mis are derived from croques aka subs, though, or so I'm told. And the French subs/croques I've eaten differ vastly from banh mis so I guess I was just confused that basically all you get is an overblown schrippe with leberwurst and coriander. (Yeah I like them, I just think they could be better or whatever)

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

Does it happen to be the one near the Hauptbahnhof, and, if my memory serves me correctly, in one of those side streets opposite of the main entrance? Just asking, 'cause that poo poo's delicious.

Yeah. In fact now that I think of it - I can remember a single imbiss in Mainz where you can get a brat and some pommes. It is all kebaps which are good, but sometimes I just want to stay cultural.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Currently there's more and more modernized old school Imbisses popping up though, that focus on Pommes and Brat/Currywurst, although I can only speak of Berlin and to some extent Hamburg... also there's a lot of walking grills near Alexanderplatz and most other tourist/passant hotspots. While I don't care as much about Bratwurst, I think it's not a problem to get any - except maybe at night, yeah.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's where Weimar shines, I guess. No problem at all to get bratwurst here, for obvious reasons. In fact it's the döner places you have to look for.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
I'm going to go to Leipzig in September and will be staying there for a while. I've got a choice of living in student housing and renting a one-room flat of my own.

When renting, are there any German specifics I should look out for? For instance, there's a separate fixed amount you pay, Nebenkosten - what might be included in it, apart from electricity, water, heating? What about getting my trash picked up, is that somehow arranged differently, or is it on a flat by flat basis?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Tricolor posted:

I'm going to go to Leipzig in September and will be staying there for a while. I've got a choice of living in student housing and renting a one-room flat of my own.

When renting, are there any German specifics I should look out for? For instance, there's a separate fixed amount you pay, Nebenkosten - what might be included in it, apart from electricity, water, heating? What about getting my trash picked up, is that somehow arranged differently, or is it on a flat by flat basis?
Trash etc. is usually part of that. If you're willing to put up with some paperwork, it also often pays off to get the electricity bill off the contract/out of the Nebenkosten and get your own provider.
Either way, your landlord should be able to provide you with a copy of the "Betriebskostenabrechnung" (or something along the same lines) of previous tenants, so you know what is covered and get a general idea of how much you'll be spending on the Nebenkosten

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Tricolor posted:

Define for a while. Does that one room apartment come furnished? Renting in germany usually means unfurnished plus you have to buy your own kitchen, so if you don't feel like buying one make sure the apartment has one.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009

elwood posted:

Define for a while.
For atleast a year.
I'm actually debating whether to go furnished or not, but that's a story for another thread.

As far as noise levels go,I've heard all sorts of anecdotes about getting the police called on some noise-maker or a party. How would you handle things like noise, an evening party with friends? Is it really all that...strict?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Tricolor posted:

As far as noise levels go,I've heard all sorts of anecdotes about getting the police called on some noise-maker or a party. How would you handle things like noise, an evening party with friends? Is it really all that...strict?

It all depends on location/neighbours. If you're in a building with a few other young people or on your own you have a lot more leeway with it, but as soon as you have older/middle aged tenants along with you there will probably be calls to the police if you're loud before/past the allowed times.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Tricolor posted:

For atleast a year.
I'm actually debating whether to go furnished or not, but that's a story for another thread.

If it's a non student kind of location it can't hurt to post a flyer or talk to your neighbours before a party, or you know just invite them.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^ This actually goes a surprisingly long way with everyone from socially awkward shut-ins to pissed of grannies.

Landsknecht posted:

It all depends on location/neighbours. If you're in a building with a few other young people or on your own you have a lot more leeway with it, but as soon as you have older/middle aged tenants along with you there will probably be calls to the police if you're loud before/past the allowed times.

To elaborate: This doesn't mean that heavily armed officers will break through you windows and smash your stereo if it's a tad to loud. The police will simply tell you what noise level is acceptable and only if you don't follow their advice will they take further action (meaning the harshest thing you have to fear is that they'll take your stereo with them which you'll get back the next day).

If you don't party like a selfish rear end in a top hat you really have nothing to worry about, you might run into some oh-poo poo-moments when what you expected to be a stripper turns out to be a real police officer but safe for unusually thin walls you can take the problem of complains when it arrises instead of worrying beforehand.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah if you're gonna throw a party, just inform your neighbors your having one and if any problems occur for them to talk to you and not the police.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

How do you guys feel about the whole car torching thing in Berlin/Hamburg?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
At this point I don't even think it's just anarchists anymore. This has GOT to be a new thing that bored teenagers want in on.
From what I've heard in reports, they've even stopped torching expensive cars exclusively and just burn random ones. And the way they're doing it indicates some form of organized conduct as well.
Once the cops started putting choppers in the air, they switched to fire accelerants as opposed to molotov cocktails and started the fires under the engine so overhead surveillance wouldn't pick up the fire till they're long gone.

e: Oh, and how I feel about them? gently caress 'em.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 22, 2011

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

unixbeard posted:

How do you guys feel about the whole car torching thing in Berlin/Hamburg?

Yeah, it was happening in Hamburg for months, before it made national news now in Berlin (there's also an election coming up there, and the car burnings are invitation for all kind "though on crime" rethoric). In Hamburg the police was suspecting the anarchist scene for a long time, but it turned out, that the most of them just were small gangs of bored teenagers (much to the disappointment of the police and the Verfassungsschutz I'm sure).

If something blows up in Germany the first reaction is always to lay blame on Islamists or left wing terror groups, then conservative politicians cry for more anti terror laws, even when it turns out to be just ordinary crime and vandalism.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I don't much care about the cars, as long as nobody gets hurt or no houses burn down. I'm interested though if it's actually leftist militants or just bored kids. In any case it's better than rioting.

Also I don't ever remember anyone blaming islamists. Huh? When did that happen? It's always either possible blackmail (see Dagobert) or leftist groups that get blamed. Or neo-nazis if there's swastikas or Jews involved.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yeah, I haven't really been getting the impression that islamists are blamed as a first reaction. (Except, of course, in any incident involving explosions of sorts, where news outlets always feel compelled to comment on the possibility of islamist-involvement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

DeusEx posted:

In Hamburg the police was suspecting the anarchist scene for a long time, but it turned out, that the most of them just were small gangs of bored teenagers (much to the disappointment of the police and the Verfassungsschutz I'm sure).
You make it sound like people running around lighting (fancy) cars on fire might be anarchists is a completely unreasonable assumption to make on behalf of the police, especially in Hamburg.

DeusEx posted:

If something blows up in Germany the first reaction is always to lay blame on Islamists or left wing terror groups, then conservative politicians cry for more anti terror laws, even when it turns out to be just ordinary crime and vandalism.

It's not like poo poo gets blown up every other day. I agree with Zwille in that I don't quite see how it's always Islamists that are blamed first.

I do agree that most politicians jump at any chance to grab votes whenever something like this happens, though.