Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Paino posted:

Has anyone ever discussed Martin's amputation fetish?

-Tyrion has his nose cut in half
-Jaime loses a hand
-Brienne loses a cheek
-Myrcella loses an ear
-GreatJon has two fingers bit off by Grey Wind.
-Bran loses his legs. I suppose we could make it count.
-Donal Noye has lost an arm
-Theon Greyjoy loses most of his teeth, three fingers, a number of toes. Wow.
-Ilyn Payne doesn't have a tongue anymore
-Davos lost his fingers to Stannis
-Arys Oakheart loses an arm just before dying. Does that count?
-Varys has no balls and dick, as Martin tells us in one of his most morbid descriptions.

It seems to me that in Westeros, even when you don't die, someone will take the liberty of cutting you the gently caress up.

It's less of a fetish and more of a way of making you feel sympathetic towards characters without killing them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Rootbeer Baron posted:

It's less of a fetish and more of a way of making you feel sympathetic towards characters without killing them off.

yeah but almost everyone seems to lose a limb sooner or later

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, I think it's fitting for the time period this is supposedly set in.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paino posted:

It seems to me that in Westeros, even when you don't die, someone will take the liberty of cutting you the gently caress up.

Kind of like Midieval times in general?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Paino posted:

Has anyone ever discussed Martin's amputation fetish?

-Tyrion has his nose cut in half
-Jaime loses a hand
-Brienne loses a cheek
-Myrcella loses an ear
-GreatJon has two fingers bit off by Grey Wind.
-Bran loses his legs. I suppose we could make it count.
-Donal Noye has lost an arm
-Theon Greyjoy loses most of his teeth, three fingers, a number of toes. Wow.
-Ilyn Payne doesn't have a tongue anymore
-Davos lost his fingers to Stannis
-Arys Oakheart loses an arm just before dying. Does that count?
-Varys has no balls and dick, as Martin tells us in one of his most morbid descriptions.

In an era when medical technology isn't at its finest and minor infections can gently caress you up real good, not to mention the fact that there's a war going on, that eunuches are an acceptable thing, cutting out tongues/body parts is appropriate punishment, etc... - this seems a fairly paltry list.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Habibi posted:

In an era when medical technology isn't at its finest and minor infections can gently caress you up real good, not to mention the fact that there's a war going on, that eunuches are an acceptable thing, cutting out tongues/body parts is appropriate punishment, etc... - this seems a fairly paltry list.

Agreed. Infant mortality should also be much higher, we don't hear about Catelyn's other nine children who died before their first nameday.

People also live too long. I had actually assumed until late in the series that one of the Fantasy aspects of the series would be that disease was nearly nonexistent, because the average life expectancy seems quite high.

But I guess "Maesters." Who cares, we like this series for the insanity, not the rigorous historical accuracy.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

A red priest did it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Calef posted:

Agreed. Infant mortality should also be much higher, we don't hear about Catelyn's other nine children who died before their first nameday.

Probably because no one wants to hear that poo poo after listening to Lysa cry about it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Calef posted:

Westeros actually has fairly advanced medical knowledge. There's no full germ theory of medicine, but even Sandor Clegane knows to treat wounds with boiling wine to prevent infection. And the Maesters puzzled out antibiotics, at least in the form of extracting penicillin from bread mold. So it makes sense that fewer people die of infection and disease than in our medieval era. On the other hand, leeching is still practiced (although people like Roose Bolton who leech themselves regularly are considered weirdos). And this whole war was (probably) kicked off by Lyanna Stark dying in her birthing bed, so childbirth isn't quite 100% safe as houses.

Also, most of the people we meet are high-born, who have access to adequate amounts of high-quality food and shelter and medical attention. I'll bet people from Flea Bottom have infant mortality rates more in line with our medieval era. Plus, we're coming out of a decade or two of gentle weather and generous harvests, so the sort of things that kill infants haven't been particularly prevalent in anyone's memory. North of The Wall, infant mortality is a big enough issue that Wildings don't bother naming their kids until their second birthday.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

FMguru posted:

Also, most of the people we meet are high-born, who have access to adequate amounts of high-quality food and shelter and medical attention. I'll bet people from Flea Bottom have infant mortality rates more in line with our medieval era. Plus, we're coming out of a decade or two of gentle weather and generous harvests, so the sort of things that kill infants haven't been particularly prevalent in anyone's memory. North of The Wall, infant mortality is a big enough issue that Wildings don't bother naming their kids until their second birthday.

Yeah, it's one of the things Varis points out/lampshades in the first novel that the vast majority of viewpoint characters are highborn and have access to things the lower classes simply do not (plenty of food, maesters, medicine, proper sanitation, roofs over their heads, etc.) and things are a lot worse for the peasants, who just get caught up in the big War of Five Kings and don't see the protagonists as much better than the antagonists when they both have renegade soldiers raping and pillaging to their hearts content.

There was also one of Old Nan's morbid stories about babies freezing to death in their mothers arms in the dead of long winters having never known a day of summer. That line always stuck with me throughout the series and constantly had me thinking ahead "as bad as poo poo's been it's about to get MUCH worse when Winter eventually rolls around."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Also, I'm rereading Feast for Crows right now and in the first (only? IIRC, Feast's POV chapters weren't as consistently distributed as the others') Aeron chapter he talks about how his father had sired nine children, but two died in infancy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mad Hamish posted:

Until he ends up killing himself. After all, Renly wouldn't want to see him like this. "You found me beautiful once!"

Its also occurred to me: I wonder how ruined a corpse has to be before an Other can turn it into a wight? We know fire 'kills' them permanently, but would an Other be able to re-animate, say, a skeleton? Because if so, I feel that the people inhabiting Winterfell when the Wall gets breached for reals will be in for an incredibly nasty surprise.

Thorne took the moving hand to King's Landing, but by the time he got there, the flesh had all rotted away and it was just a skeleton and wasn't moving. I guess it's possible that it had gone far enough south to get out of the "magical influence" of the Others, but it could also be that while life can be restored to something dead, it still requires the muscles to actually make it move.

Haraksha's Varys Theory

Varys doesn't care about Targaryans. If they really were all dead, he wouldn't give a poo poo. He would just alter his plans accordingly, and given that we can't prove Aegon really is a Targ, he may have already.

He never intended Viserys to take the throne. He never intended for Dany to live this long. The whole point of Viserys and Dany was to distract Robert and the realm. He always kept them around as shadows as a constant reminder to Robert that his power could be threatened, but he was never going to let them conquer Westeros and Dany was never meant to see it. In fact, Varys himself sent the order to kill Dany.

So what was the point?

As has been mentioned, it was a well thought out subterfuge. Dany and Viserys were distractions only. As long as Robert was focused on them, he would never even begin to wonder if there was another far more dangerous threat. Let Robert think that he's killed off the only rivals to the throne, and then drop Aegon on his coast when he's least expecting it.

I know Robert talked about how meeting the Dothraki in battle would have been foolish, but the book never gives us reason to think this is true. Every time an armored knight has fought someone unarmored who wasn't used to fighting someone armored, they died hilariously. Bronn is the only one who ever won that kind of fight, but that was because he knew the weaknesses of men in full armor.

It doesn't matter to Varys if Aegon really is a Targ or not. The point is to put a stable ruler on the throne. He can't just have some random dude show up and say, "I'm king now." The noble houses would unite against them. But so long as it's a "Targ", it gives legitimacy to the cause. People will accept that and it creates a chance to actually get his man on the throne. This was the whole point of betrothing a Dornish princess to Viserys. Viserys, dead, still ties their houses together. The Martells are still trying to work with them.

But Dany living has hosed everything up.

When Ilyrio and Varys talked beneath the Red Keep about not being ready yet, they're weren't discussing Viserys or Dany and their horde of Dothraki. They were talking about Aegon and the Golden Company. They probably wanted to wait a few more years for Aegon to reach maturity, but events moved passed them (and this can largely be blamed on Littlefinger), so now they're being as reactionary as everyone else. Instead of a calm, patient conqueror, they have a boy demanding to lead the vanguard into battle personally.

"Uh, I guess marry Aegon to Dany to get the dragons?" But we saw this didn't work. They've partially lost control of Aegon, Quentyn died trying to honor the agreement, and now things might get totally hosed because of it. Varys killing Kevan was probably a last ditch effort to help Aegon actually succeed because he would never have stood a chance against a stable Lannister dynasty.

The original plan was probably to have poisoned Dany to get the Dothraki enraged enough to cross the sea. While they would have been devastating to the land, Robert would have been forced to meet them in battle, and I have no reason to think that they would have stood up to heavy cavalry and armored soldiers. With Viserys and Dany dead, Robert would have gone back to lick his wounds while thinking that the threat was finally at rest.

Or maybe Varys would have seen to it that Robert would have died in this war. Remember, the Lannister-Stark conflict was entirely manufactured by Littlefinger through the letter to Cat from Lysa. But if Robert had died then rather than when he did, it could have started the succession wars right as Aegon was getting ready to ambush the whole continent.

So to summarize, Varys doesn't care about a particular dynasty. He cares about stability. Aegon being a Targ gives him credibility and a chance to actually hold the throne. Assuming that Aegon is a good king, he could raise his children, who would also be legitimate heirs, to be good kings as well. This would provide at least a couple of generations of stability to the realm, or long enough to defeat the threat of the Others and then it wouldn't really matter again for another 3000 years.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 21, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Nice post, really well said. And I agree that he only cares about stability - hence his profession that he serves the realm; the realm is best served by stability and peace.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Also, I'm rereading Feast for Crows right now and in the first (only? IIRC, Feast's POV chapters weren't as consistently distributed as the others') Aeron chapter he talks about how his father had sired nine children, but two died in infancy.
I think a lot of times when someone says "they had four children" there's an unspoken "that lived" at the end of the sentence. There were probably a bunch of stillbirths and miscarriages and infant deaths, but they're so common no one bothers to mention them.

I also think it's a GRRM style issue. It's hard enough keeping track of all these extended families (even with the lists in the back), giving every couple a handful of dead babies would just make a confusing narrative even more so, without adding much in return.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Nice post, really well said. And I agree that he only cares about stability - hence his profession that he serves the realm; the realm is best served by stability and peace.

Then he should probably stop killing people who are stabilizing the realm.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

TWoW stuff, so I'm going err on the side of caution and use spoilers. I read a synopsis of the Arianne chapter and the vibe I and others on westeros.org was that Arianne's gonna try and seduce Aegon into marrying her instead. At the end of the chapter she hears that Storm's End has fallen, and goes off to "Meet with this dragon." I don't imagine she'll end up like her (poor bastard) brother, but I'm curious to see how this would play out. Like every other ray of hope for the "good" guys, I'm sure Aegon's power play is going to end in disaster for all involved. That or GRRM's going to subvert the expected subversion, and Aegon will end up on the throne with Arianne and Dany won't mean poo poo. In fact, I think I'd prefer the latter.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Haraksha posted:

He never intended Viserys to take the throne. He never intended for Dany to live this long. The whole point of Viserys and Dany was to distract Robert and the realm. He always kept them around as shadows as a constant reminder to Robert that his power could be threatened, but he was never going to let them conquer Westeros and Dany was never meant to see it. In fact, Varys himself sent the order to kill Dany.

So what was the point?

As has been mentioned, it was a well thought out subterfuge. Dany and Viserys were distractions only. As long as Robert was focused on them, he would never even begin to wonder if there was another far more dangerous threat. Let Robert think that he's killed off the only rivals to the throne, and then drop Aegon on his coast when he's least expecting it.

But Robert was never concentrating on anything except whores and wine so I don't see how it was necessary to "distract" him. I mean really you think Illyrio had the leader of the most powerful Khalasar pay him a vist, married him a Targaryen, and gave Dany 3 priceless dragon eggs to "distract" a drunken nitwit like Robert? I fail to see how this subterfuge accomplished anything, Robert thought Aegon died 16 years earlier so he wasn't looking for him.

Also the theoretical threat of the Dothraki was not from their Arrakhs but from their bows. Dothraki learn to shoot from horseback at age 4. There's plenty of historical examples of western armies being massacred by mounted archers. For instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Legnica

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 21, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Aurubin posted:

That or GRRM's going to subvert the expected subversion, and Aegon will end up on the throne with Arianne and Dany won't mean poo poo. In fact, I think I'd prefer the latter.

If Dany never winds up on the throne and only turns up to help repel the Others, this would be fine by me, and would make more sense than her taking the Throne for anyone who has been paying attention to Dany's motivations.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 21, 2011

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always thought he had more of an incest fetish:

Cersei and Jaime
Cersei and Lancel
The Targaryens
Craster and his daughters
Shae and her father
Asha and Theon

GRRM must have had one poo poo-hot sister.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Haraksha posted:

In fact, Varys himself sent the order to kill Dany.
And then countermands it

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I had a theory about Craster, that in fact he was the one responsible for creating the latest wave of Others.

His scenes in the earlier books all mention how he kills boy babies by exposing them to the winter. There's a throwaway line about what this entails, and in a universe where blood magic and all that stuff happens, it stands to reason that years of baby-killing could be a terrible kind of blood magic that resurrects the greatest evil Westeros has ever known.

And it would be kinda ironic that the Night's Watch, set up to protect the realms of men, were friends with the guy bringing about their downfall. And maybe Gilly's baby, the only boy baby to survive where all his brothers-cum-Others were sacrificed, turns out to be important to the plot somehow.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

Saul Goode posted:

I had a theory about Craster, that in fact he was the one responsible for creating the latest wave of Others.

His scenes in the earlier books all mention how he kills boy babies by exposing them to the winter. There's a throwaway line about what this entails, and in a universe where blood magic and all that stuff happens, it stands to reason that years of baby-killing could be a terrible kind of blood magic that resurrects the greatest evil Westeros has ever known.

And it would be kinda ironic that the Night's Watch, set up to protect the realms of men, were friends with the guy bringing about their downfall. And maybe Gilly's baby, the only boy baby to survive where all his brothers-cum-Others were sacrificed, turns out to be important to the plot somehow.

I really like this theory, and would be really into it if it ends up being true.

I also enjoy the idea of a totally useless Dany, particularly with how she seems to have been set up as the eventual victor (having dragons and all'. I'm definitely in the 'Dany is batshit' camp and think it would be awesome if by the time she shows up with the dragons she's become as bad as Aerys. After all, if we think of incest as the cause of the Targ insanity, then Aegon, whose mother was Dornish would be less/ unaffected.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Rosscifer posted:

But Robert was never concentrating on anything except whores and wine so I don't see how it was necessary to "distract" him. I mean really you think Illyrio had the leader of the most powerful Khalasar pay him a vist, married him a Targaryen, and gave Dany 3 priceless dragon eggs to "distract" a drunken nitwit like Robert? I fail to see how this subterfuge accomplished anything, Robert thought Aegon died 16 years earlier so he wasn't looking for him.

Pretty much everyone in the world we've seen knows about the Targaryens and the Baratheons. If a boy was being raised and told he was the heir to the throne, there's a good chance that sooner or later word will get out. Rumors of a boy Targaryen being raised to retake the throne will float over the ocean sooner or later.

So Varys made Viserys that rumored boy, and made it really obvious he was still alive- everyone knew who he was as he tramped around demanding an army to take him home. And as others have said Dany was meant to die so the Dothraki would cause more chaos in Westeros. Finally the dragon eggs were only priceless as relics (nobody believed they would hatch), and certainly not that priceless to Varys who has all the money of Westeros at his disposal.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Saul Goode posted:

I'm pretty sure he just gives the babies TO the Others, and didn't do some mumbo jumbo magic to actually bring them around.

The implication was that he doesn't have to worry about the Others because he gives them living sacrifice. There's a pretty telling line somewhere in the books about how he's just not worried about them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its obvious Varys is working with the Devil of the Cold or whoever the gently caress Melisandre is always going on about. The ritual which cost him his junk also put an Other in him. His plan is to soften up Westeros for the coming wight invasion. Really, there is no other justification for his actions.

kiph posted:

GRRM must have had one poo poo-hot sister.

Yup.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Unoriginal Name posted:

Then he should probably stop killing people who are stabilizing the realm.

Stabilizing the realm so the spoiled little Tomen could rule as a pawn for either the Tyrells or the Lannisters? Not going to happen.

Iggles posted:

And then countermands it

He couldn't have known that Jorah wouldn't have followed through. The point was that she didn't need to be alive.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Irish Joe posted:

Its obvious Varys is working with the Devil of the Cold or whoever the gently caress Melisandre is always going on about. The ritual which cost him his junk also put an Other in him. His plan is to soften up Westeros for the coming wight invasion. Really, there is no other justification for his actions.

Yup.

He said sister not brother

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Saul Goode posted:

My theory was that Craster was allowed to survive by whoever or whatever controls the Others because he would give them boys to add to their ranks. Just a thought really as we don't know if they have any kind of structure.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm hoping Dany realizes the eastern continent is her home and actually supports Aegon as king of the seven kingdoms. After he's in place and the others are burned to a crisp she can take her dragons and liberate the gently caress out of the slave cities. She can go be Dany the conqueror and establish a Targ world dynasty.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gangringo posted:

I'm hoping Dany realizes the eastern continent is her home and actually supports Aegon as king of the seven kingdoms. After he's in place and the others are burned to a crisp she can take her dragons and liberate the gently caress out of the slave cities. She can go be Dany the conqueror and establish a Targ world dynasty.

Hard to establish a dynasty when you're barren.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Neurosis posted:

Dragons are genderless, she'll just grow a dick.

Come on dude think.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Neurosis posted:

She's not barren anymore, the prophecy about the seas going dry and the sun setting in the east and poo poo came true and she had her period in between her bout of the shits in her dothraki sea escapades.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mr Crustacean posted:

She's not barren anymore, the prophecy about the seas going dry and the sun setting in the east and poo poo came true and she had her period in between her bout of the shits in her dothraki sea escapades.
Explain how the prophecy came true!

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
The Dothraki sea is dry and Quentyn Martell (whose House sigil is a sun) rose in the West and set in the East.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
You know, it's got to be a pretty big blow to your sense of self worth to know that your balls are only worth a long distance phone call. No wonder Varys is kind of peeved.

Who knows what would've been if that guy had only had a few dimes to drop in the slot to make the call instead of having to settle for boynuts.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Quantify! posted:

Explain how the prophecy came true!
The actual prophecy is about Drogo actually.

quote:

“When will he {Drogo} be as he was?” Dany demanded.

“When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east,” said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.”
The Sun (Dorne) rises in West (against the Lannisters) and sets in the east (when Prince Frog got burned). The Dothraki seas is going dry (black). The Valerian volcanoes are erupting and "mountains" are blowing in the wind like leaves. Dany womb quickened again.

My guess is she will get pregnant sooner or later and she will just name her child Drogo.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Toplowtech posted:

The actual prophecy is about Drogo actually.

The Sun (Dorne) rises in West (against the Lannisters) and sets in the east (when Prince Frog got burned). The Dothraki seas is going dry (black). The Valerian volcanoes are erupting and "mountains" are blowing in the wind like leaves. Dany womb quickened again.

My guess is she will get pregnant sooner or later and she will just name her child Drogo.

Ah, poo poo I didn't even see that. Of course, I didn't realize Abel was Mance.

Also, what is the evidence that Connington is gay? That also flew right past me.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Also, what is the evidence that Connington is gay? That also flew right past me.

Don't remember the actual quote, but it's something to the effect of him trying to earn Rhaegar's love. To me the quote didn't seem to mean gay butt love, more like trying to earn his respect and esteem, but hey, that's just, my opinion man.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Ah, poo poo I didn't even see that. Of course, I didn't realize Abel was Mance.

Did you miss that scene with him shaving Rhaegar's chest?

Edit: \/\/\/ But Renly and Rhaeger kinda are. :)

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Habibi posted:

Did you miss that scene with him shaving Renly's chest?

Aww cmon now, "Tyrell" and "Connington" aren't even close.