Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
In the Journal that ends Song of Susannah he talks about writing the book and having his publisher sell it in parts to MF&SF. Since he spoke of his problems with alcohol and everything else very literally, I assumed he did not make up the fact that he wrote it as a book first instead of short stories.

I tried to find an interview backing this up but I can not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

trandorian posted:

Eyes of the dragon was too, for that matter.

It should've stayed that way. :colbert:

Really don't like that book, even though it wasn't his worst. Cell i s pretty infurating- it was awesome at the beginning, but then when they started flocking together and becoming psychic poo poo got real dumb quick.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wasn't Eyes of the Dragon meant for kids? I read it in middle school when it was published and really enjoyed it. I saw a first edition hardcover for sale over the past week but decided against it because it probably wouldn't hold up like the Choose Your Own Adventure books don't hold up.

Cell pissed me off because of the same reason. It started good, then got mind blowingly stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Wasn't Eyes of the Dragon meant for kids? I read it in middle school when it was published and really enjoyed it. I saw a first edition hardcover for sale over the past week but decided against it because it probably wouldn't hold up like the Choose Your Own Adventure books don't hold up.

While not really for "kids" I would say that Eyes of the Dragon is definitely his most "young adult" book.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

While not really for "kids" I would say that Eyes of the Dragon is definitely his most "young adult" book.

It was written specifically for his then 13-14 year old daughter since she didn't like his horror books and was initially only published in a run of under 400 copies, mostly for family and friends.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

trandorian posted:

It was written specifically for his then 13-14 year old daughter since she didn't like his horror books

I hope he didn't make his kids read IT

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I hope he didn't make his kids read IT

I read It when I was 8 or 9 and I'm not severely broken. I read The Stand when I was 10, then unabridged later on, like 11 or 12. Tommyknockers, Eyes of the Dragon, some of the other stuff in-between like Misery, Christine, Firestarter, etc.

At that age I was totally willing to follow him down every rabbit hole and enjoyed each funhouse ride.

(A lot of that was from repeated trips to the local public library, then picking up yard sale copies at 25 or 50c)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I read the loving Library Policemen when I was like 11. Thankfully the fact that the main character was being raped by a pedophile escaped me and I wasn't traumatised.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Wasn't there a dedication to his kids in IT?

Anyway, the whole thesis of IT is that a childs mind is stronger than an adults and they can handle things adults would have trouble with which was why they had to resume their childhood persona when they returned in 1985 to finish IT off.

Poor Stan had an organised adults mind even as a teen and he had the hardest time dealing with what was going on.

I think Christine was my first King book followed by The Shining. The latter scared the hell out of me as a young teen. The Overlook is really A Very Bad Parent and old hotels still scare me a little because of that book.

Christine was great fun though. I was friends with an "Arnie," and the relationship between him and Dennis as well as the arguments that went on at the Cunninghams house rang so true to me. Christine is nostalgia in book form; even the red cover with the chrome title and horribly horrificTERRORIFING!! synopsis reminds me of what it was like to read that book and think, "holy poo poo, this guy gets teens!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Dude gets into his characters' heads (and by extension, getting us in there) like no other author I've ever read. I credit my empathetic growth almost entirely to reading his books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 23, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've decided that when I finish my thesis I'm going to read through the Dark Tower series properly. Last time I tried was late 2004, right before I started uni, and I got about halfway through Wizard And Glass before stopping.

Thinking about it, I remember my paperback copy of book 3 was retarded, because at the end of each book there was a preview chapter for the next one. At the end of book 3 they had the first chapter of book 4, which happened to be the reprinted final chapter of book 3. So my copy went:

(Final scene where Blaine challenges them to the riddle game)
(Cliffhanger where they will surely die!)
AND NOW A SNEAK PREVIEW OF "WIZARD AND GLASS"...
(Scene where Blaine challenges them to the riddle game)
(Cliffhanger where they will surely die!)

It was a bit of a waste of paper.

I'm looking forward to reading them again. I remember loving book 3 in particular. Hopefully I'll finish all 7 books in time for The Wind In The Keyhole to be published, next year. And I think I'll skip the comics and "related novels".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also, this is pretty loving awful:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Hedrigall posted:

Hahaha, he needs to go back to the big blocky letters on a black background with 1 vaguely-related object covers. Those weren't great but this one looks like an early 90s video game box.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What's the consensus on The Dark Half? I rarely see it mentioned. I read it last year and thought it was OK, but thought he gave away too much too soon. Stark shouldn't have been revealed as the real killer so early (which really isn't a spoiler but I'm staying on the safe side).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

No part of this isn't awful. The chrome effect on his name. The title being in a digital style font. With lensflare behind it.

The trite photo of JFK with wacky perspective warping

The terrible tagline

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What's the consensus on The Dark Half? I rarely see it mentioned. I read it last year and thought it was OK, but thought he gave away too much too soon. Stark shouldn't have been revealed as the real killer so early (which really isn't a spoiler but I'm staying on the safe side).

That one was weird. I remember it alternated between being really goddamn great and pretty boring with no real rhyme or reason. It wasn't like "oh, chapter about Thad, all aboard the train to dullsville!" or anything like that, it'd just hit some sort of snag in the momentum or something.
I would totally read one of the George Stark books if King ever wrote one, though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rented The Dead Zone tonight, should be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tr6tJfsSDk

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Dark Half is strange because Secret Window Secret Garden in one of his collections is practically the same story.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Hedrigall posted:

There's a lot wrong with this cover. But the lovely Photoshop emboss style on the text? That's going way to far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is that the cover for the ebook or something?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's the UK cover I believe.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

When I was in middle school The Dark Half was my favorite King book. I haven't read it since and I don't trust my pre-teen tastes so I might have to revisit that one again soon.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
The first time I read The Stand (think when the "uncut" version came out in paperback) I was maybe 13 or 14 and super sick for like 2 weeks straight one summer. I was so freaked out reading about a super flu while having a loving super flu. I remember I kept spraying my room with Lysol while reading it, so now that nasty smell always brings back memories of the Stand.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Does anyone remember a short story King did about a child molester who kidnaps a kid and drives away with him, only to have the kids vampire grandpa show up?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

KillRoy posted:

Does anyone remember a short story King did about a child molester who kidnaps a kid and drives away with him, only to have the kids vampire grandpa show up?

I remember this movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

KillRoy posted:

"Popsy" and "The Night Flier", both in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody read Mile 81 yet?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I find it hard to get excited about individually-released short stories, even by my favourite authors. Maybe it's just because the OCD in me can't tick it off as a book read, so it seems like wasted effort. I'll wait 'til it's collected in his next short story compilation, then I'll read it.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Sporadic posted:

Anybody read Mile 81 yet?

I did. It was very short -- 115 pages or so -- and not very good.

A car from outer space eats five adults, scares the poo poo out of two small children and is ultimately chased off the planet by a 10-year-old who burns it with a magnifying glass.

The preview for his newest isn't that compelling, either.

I kind of wish I could get my $2.99 back.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You know you're talking about Stephen King when a 115-page short story is referred to as "very short."

Unless that was supposed to be 15, of course.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Mile 81 is really weak. King uses the annoying "omniscient narrator tells us a character is going to die several paragraphs before they actually do" about 3 times, which really undercuts whatever tension he could have built in those scenes. The story isn't even consistent in its internal logic: the evil alien car drives itself to the rest stop, but then remains immobile for the rest of the story, even when it's being set on fire. There's also a scene that revolves around an iPad and Words With Friends, which is really distracting.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Kentucky Shark posted:

King uses the annoying "omniscient narrator tells us a character is going to die several paragraphs before they actually do" about 3 times, which really undercuts whatever tension he could have built in those scenes.

I wish he'd knock this off. I HATE when King does this above all other quirks. He telegraphs or outright states when someone is about to die with phrases like "and that's the last time she saw Character alive" and it wrecks all suspense.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I don't mind the "And that was the last time they where together" but not the directly "this guy will be dead in 5 pages"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I wish he'd knock this off. I HATE when King does this above all other quirks. He telegraphs or outright states when someone is about to die with phrases like "and that's the last time she saw Character alive" and it wrecks all suspense.

I hate that as well; I forgot what book I was reading where it drove me absolutely crazy as maybe a larger percentage of deaths were spelled out immediately.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ridonkulous posted:

I don't mind the "And that was the last time they where together" but not the directly "this guy will be dead in 5 pages"

I do like that occasionally he does the "And that was the last time they where together" but it turns out it's just because one of the people involved moves to a different town or something.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Re-reading The Stand recently, he did that at the end a lot, although by then you just kind of let him do it, because goddamn.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

I hate that as well; I forgot what book I was reading where it drove me absolutely crazy as maybe a larger percentage of deaths were spelled out immediately.

It's been a few years since I read it but I'm pretty sure he does this to a totally obnoxious degree in Duma Key, with maybe one death not spoiled 20 pages in advance.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
And the main death he spoils then turns into a chapter that is supposed to be suspenseful. It's like he forgot about the announcement because that later chapter reads like a red herring and the answering machine message that Freemantle receives would have been a huge kick in the guts if that earlier announcement had been left out.

Mile 81 is probably one of his worst short stories I think. I'm trying to think of any others that are as bad as this but can't come up with any. It's like Buick8 but without the really well done mystery angle.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Darko posted:

Pet Sematary did it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Octy posted:

Pet Sematary did it all the time.

Gage's death in Pet Sematary really was written awesomely, even with the foreshadowing. I remember feeling really bad for the father when I read that in high school or whenever. The flashforward into what he COULD have been was really well done, I think.

And yes, Mile 81 was absolutely terrible. Even the ending was ridiculous; what was spoiled above was correct in that it made little to no sense whatsoever.