Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jarate posted:

Ddraig mentioned it above:
This is really good to hear because pretty much every game that has the option of fight or not fight, not fighting always give no XP or less XP than fighting. Finally getting a reward for playing without balls-to-the-walls aggression is aweseom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Alright, thanks, I guess the rumor about the non-interaction bonus was just people getting confused over the system. In any case, I'm very familiar with the ghost and smooth operator bonuses because the only times I didn't get them when I played the leak is when I did my "kill everything and find all the magnum ammo to plan the optimum magnum ammo path" run.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, the game definitely rewards you more if you go the stealth, non-lethal route. As it should, because it's considerably more of a challenge than just shooting everything.

e: Fans of Deus Ex will be happy to know it's definitely possible to gently caress with the AI in hilarious ways.

My favourite: Picking up a fridge, switching the cloaking aug on and walking up to a patrolling guard. He was slightly perplexed by the floating fridge, until it hit him square in the head, alerting several other guards to its presence. They're now on the lookout for rogue household appliances

Or the ever classic "throwing bodies off roofs and seeing if I can hit civilians". A suicide gone terribly wrong.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 21, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Jarate posted:

I was entertained enough by the series for what it was, but I also did read it in one sitting.
I'm kind of curious. What did you think of that scene where David Sarif and Malik go from CEO & company pilot to Doctor Phil / relationship counciler & personality troll, calling Adam something like mr. Grumpy? I think that was honestly the funniest part of the series.

The most :wtc: part, for me, was probably the whole bathroom scene with the nano-detonators (applicable nanotech, in 2027? Erm...) and all the extremely cheesy lines they both used. Well, either that, or the entire "Sorry Adam, the plot demanded I act like a total wuss and allow myself to be captured so that Durant could be an even bigger cliche bad guy, even though I was built up to be a strong and snappy chick. No, don't kill yourself over me!" *explodes*

But yeah, the comic was just way too generic. If it had more conspiracy stuff and tighter writing and art which felt more connected with the game's style and feel, it would have been decent.

I cannot deny the series isn't entertaining, though, just not for reasons the authors would want. :3:

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

:stare:

Well, I guess I'm going to have to place that pre-order now then.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, you can randomly punch out civilians and the others, despite seeing everything, still run around screaming "What the gently caress was that?"

It wouldn't be Deus Ex if that didn't happen.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Hahaha Jesus what the gently caress?

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

WMain00 posted:

Hahaha Jesus what the gently caress?

It's Deus Ex. You have the freedom to not play the game like a sane person. :>

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet

Tuesday cannot come fast enough :f5:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly I was worried that a great number of the completely insane things you can do in 1 would be eliminated in the name of "streamlining" but that one gif blew those worries away.

I still probably won't do that kind of stuff though, I'll be saving it for Saint's Row 3. It's still good to know it's there.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I made a prison out of dumpsters around one guy, and threw a frag grenade in. You can definitely be an insane person.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

There's insane, and there's Malkavian. Seems ridiculous, but awesome.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Wonder if there's an achievement for punching out 100 civvies.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

WMain00 posted:

Wonder if there's an achievement for punching out 100 civvies.
No, but there's an achievement for punching out 1 (one) non-civilian

Also achievements for 50 and 100 takedowns. The achievements in DXHR are really boring as hell.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Tecman posted:

I'm kind of curious. What did you think of that scene where David Sarif and Malik go from CEO & company pilot to Doctor Phil / relationship counciler & personality troll, calling Adam something like mr. Grumpy? I think that was honestly the funniest part of the series.
I had no idea what to think! I thought it was completely out of the blue. I like how it (and the whole series, really) made Sarif seem like more of a friend to Jensen as opposed to how most things would present the CEO of a major corporation. Or your boss. (I haven't played the game, though, so I wouldn't have known anyway.)

quote:

Well, either that, or the entire "Sorry Adam, the plot demanded I act like a total wuss and allow myself to be captured so that Durant could be an even bigger cliche bad guy, even though I was built up to be a strong and snappy chick. No, don't kill yourself over me!" *explodes*
Yeah, that annoyed me. Between Durant's Batman villain-esque "Deus Ex!" being shouted whenever he'd kill somebody and what you just said, a lot of it was just ridiculous. And seriously, why did Jensen need a love interest at all? I mean, they obviously couldn't think of anything better to cram into the story, but that was a bit of a step too far out of Deus Ex territory.

All that said, haven't you read the novel? Does that fare any better?

ydmovski
Aug 21, 2011

Moo. We are a cow. Take us to China.
My expectations are now set sky high based on this thread and my recent trip through youtube's best & most creative Deus Ex moments! I also think the Sarif Industries / Purity First promos are some of the most excellent ads I've ever seen for a game.

Just a couple of days to go...

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Not a buy unless you can punch kids in the head too, Eidos!!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Jarate posted:

All that said, haven't you read the novel? Does that fare any better?
Hell yes. The novel features some characters from the original game as well, and especially one in particular is written so well, you can read the lines in this person's voice flawlessly. When I first read it, I thought it was a bit too fan-wanky with all the references and hinthint-winkwink stuff, like it's trying too hard to fit in, but after playing the leak I've realized it's actually not just made up for the novel. The game has some of the same exact nods, some are fleshed out more in the game, while others are fleshed out more in the novel.

Overall it's an okay read, nothing particularely special, but no big downers as well. Plus, it's much more careful about spoilers, it genuinely gives you additional backstory into some of the antagonists and the only downside I can remember right now is that it could be felt as too generic at times, without the backup "so silly it makes it entertaining and good material to laugh at" value of the comic book series. You can really tell that the comic guys were just some dudes, whereas the novelist (James Swallow) actually worked on the game as well in the narrative department.

There's one thing that still makes me groan, but now that I know it's also in-game, I'd rather not mention it. Plus the game's context about it is much better.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Welp. Oh well...

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the sound test still "I speel my dreenk!"?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Zoolooman posted:

My morality is augmented.
What, you normal non-augs can't (DX spoiler) merge with an infallible AI construct? :smuggo:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still probably won't do that kind of stuff though, I'll be saving it for Saint's Row 3. It's still good to know it's there.
What with the Deckers as a gang I fully intend to try to play as some psychotic Deus Ex lead or wannabe.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know if When you get the mission to go to China, do you lose the sidequests you haven't done in the current city or you come back?

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Looks like the animation for getting chokeslammed is physics-based and not the same fall every time. I hope this is true. If possible, anybody and everybody standing near a ledge is getting chokeslammed off of it.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Anyone here know if the augmented edition motion comic is the whole thing or what?

Also how spoilery is the book? I've already seen the sarif website so I know the thing about purity first not being what they seem but not much more than that. I have till friday till I can play so I can probably read the book between now and then.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Seymour Buttz posted:

Looks like the animation for getting chokeslammed is physics-based and not the same fall every time. I hope this is true. If possible, anybody and everybody standing near a ledge is getting chokeslammed off of it.

You don't control what takedown animation you get.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

You don't control what takedown animation you get.

I had a feeling that would be the case. They need to stop doing that with games. Saints Row 2 was the same way, press button for random move.

edit: Before I get someone jumping down my throat, I know that it's not "random" in DX:HR and it's based on the situation, where you are, and how many people there are blah blah blah you should still be in control of how you kick someone's rear end.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Seymour Buttz posted:

I had a feeling that would be the case. They need to stop doing that with games. Saints Row 2 was the same way, press button for random move.

There are like three dozen different animations altogether, separated by combinations of single, double, lethal and non-lethal, and direction. So it is either make it random, have just four animations, or make intrusive button presses to choose which animation you want every time you perform a takedown, which will be very often.

Edit: There are so many, it is random for many of them. You aren't going to shoryuken someone if you start a takedown from their back, but one will be randomly selected from the possible ones from that angle.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 21, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Doom Goon posted:

My morality is augmented.
This reminds me, we should tell the folks in the GBS Malatora thread to get to work on a cyber-dragon-dong augmentation mod.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Anyone here know if the augmented edition motion comic is the whole thing or what?

Just the first issue.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ulio posted:

Does anyone know if When you get the mission to go to China, do you lose the sidequests you haven't done in the current city or you come back?

You always lose the ability to do your current round of sidequests when you get locked out of that area. The game always warns you about this in the 'are you sure you want to leave the area Y/N' confirmation message, though.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I just realized that it isn't released in Australia until the 25th.

You guys aren't allowed to talk about the game until I get it :colbert:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Woozy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE
What a thrill.

Not enough naked girls. Catchy tune though.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pretentious Turtle posted:

About the Praxis point limit, do you think you just stop gaining XP once you've gotten all the Praxis points you can get for XP, or do you continue to gain it, but won't get any more PP? I guess it won't matter if I feel satisfied with what I've gotten by the time I get the last one.

I don't think that you'll stop getting XP once you get the max Praxis points, as that might sort of not-encourage side questing. What's more likely is that you can keep getting XP and points, but there's only so many things you can do for the points in the game, rather than a hard cap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm pretty sure they've said you'll only get enough Praxis points to get about 70% of the abilities.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

No Mods No Masters posted:

You always lose the ability to do your current round of sidequests when you get locked out of that area. The game always warns you about this in the 'are you sure you want to leave the area Y/N' confirmation message, though.

Will it give you that warning even if you've done all the side quests in the area?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Those hookers could be with child, role play a bit man, come on.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Let us English posted:

Will it give you that warning even if you've done all the side quests in the area?

Yes.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Tapatio posted:

FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I just realized that it isn't released in Australia until the 25th.

You guys aren't allowed to talk about the game until I get it :colbert:

VPN to a US address and keep Steam in offline mode until it 'launches' here.

Also, I ordered the GMG Augmented Edition, preloaded on Steam and blah blah blah...where do I find all my cool stuff like the soundtrack, comic etc etc? Hasn't appeared in Steam Tools yet.

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

VPN to a US address and keep Steam in offline mode until it 'launches' here.

I suspect you don't get achievements that way?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

acidreflux posted:

I suspect you don't get achievements that way?

I think you do, unless Steam achievements aren't local anymore and/or they have a special rule for offline mode.

Does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010
I don't know. Kind of. I really like me some achievements, for no reason at all. Guess I'll find out.

• Locked thread