Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cyanogenmod released a statement about the State of Cyanogen mod. Short version: they've all got other responsibilities that may slow things some, but it's not going anywhere.

quote:

]I’ve been reading rumors that CyanogenMod’s core philosophy is changing, that we’ve been sold, or that we’ve given up and I want to go on record saying none of this is true at all. As you may know, there are only a handful of people that can approve changes for CM but a lot of developers for it. You may have noticed that we are operating at a slightly slower pace than normal, but that’s simply because we’ve been busy and real life responsibilities come before this project. No one is getting paid to work on the product.

You have most likely become aware that Cyanogen has been hired by Samsung, as that news is traveling through the Android community like wildfire. He is not leaving the project. Samsung is aware of his involvement in CM and there are no qualms from that end. He hasn’t been active recently because he is in the process of relocating to a new city for his new job, that’s all. ChrisSoyars has been hired by GrooveShark and is currently working on projects with them. Koush is working on his DeskSMS application as well as ClockworkMod recovery. And finally, my semester is starting as are my medical school interviews.

As they have before, our insane schedules will calm eventually and we can devote more time to the project. But just because we aren’t around to approve changes doesn’t mean development has stopped or even slowed for CM. There are 40+ talented developers programming behind the scenes night and day to give you the Android distribution that you have come to know and love. On top of all of the above, we are currently in a soft feature-freeze for another 7.1 RC. (You can call it a feature slushie if you like) Because of this, we are reluctant to approve new features that may prove problematic for certain devices for the sake of the stability of the entire tree.

All I ask is that you bear with us during this hectic time.
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/the-state-of-cyanogenmod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Isaac Asimov posted:

I'm pretty interested in getting a cheap refurb nook color for school use, is it awesome with CM? How is the keyboard for two hands?

It's been pretty awesome until now. I use thumb keyboard and I like it a lot. I just really wish it would recognize my sd card...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

One, they don't make a T-Mobile version of the Xperia Play, it's Verizon only in the US and AT&T if you want to import an unlocked international one.

Secondly, after owning an N1 since launch and dealing with a G2x, I'd have to be pretty drat sure before I went with a non-Nexus from here on out. I'm certain my next phone will be a Nexus Prime.

There's also the fact that the Xperia Play is old hardware and already far surpassed by the current latest and greatest, which looks to be outdated by the time the Nexus Prime comes out.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Any progress on a the 2.16 HBOOT unlock for Unrevoked?

I just realized after being unrooted for 4ish months that you can't root Gingerbread except with that revolution stuff... But you can't unroot with that yet.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Munkaboo posted:

Any progress on a the 2.16 HBOOT unlock for Unrevoked?

I just realized after being unrooted for 4ish months that you can't root Gingerbread except with that revolution stuff... But you can't unroot with that yet.
Can you clarify what you're trying to do? Are you trying to unroot and you have the 2.16 HBOOT? If that's the case you need to search for the PC36IMG that corresponds to that version of HBOOT.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Isaac Asimov posted:

Can you clarify what you're trying to do? Are you trying to unroot and you have the 2.16 HBOOT? If that's the case you need to search for the PC36IMG that corresponds to that version of HBOOT.

Nah I'm just trying to root my Evo.

I think I'm too lazy to go back to 2.2 and flash it then upgrade to a 2.3 rooted gingerbread build.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Trying to get S-OFF on my Evo 3d and having some trouble. Anyone know how to fix the problem of the latest version of revolutionary.io tool hanging at the "zerging root..." stage? I have firewall/av off, have the Android SDK installed, debug mode, fastboot off. No HTC sync installed or running.

Thoughts?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Stunt Rock posted:

Trying to get S-OFF on my Evo 3d and having some trouble. Anyone know how to fix the problem of the latest version of revolutionary.io tool hanging at the "zerging root..." stage? I have firewall/av off, have the Android SDK installed, debug mode, fastboot off. No HTC sync installed or running.

Thoughts?

Try all 3 modes [charging, disk drive and HTC sync]. Also a different USB port might help. Compatibility mode for administrative access and Windows XP SP3 couldn't hurt either.

I had to use HTC Sync mode with debug on and only one of my four USB ports made it work. Bizarre, but it did eventually work.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Godinster posted:

Try all 3 modes [charging, disk drive and HTC sync]. Also a different USB port might help. Compatibility mode for administrative access and Windows XP SP3 couldn't hurt either.

I had to use HTC Sync mode with debug on and only one of my four USB ports made it work. Bizarre, but it did eventually work.

What little I've been able to find suggests that sometimes a wipe is necessary. Of course, they all say not to use/install HTC sync at all so who loving knows.

Edit: Also, none of that worked.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 22, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Fixed it. How? I... used a different computer. :confused:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Replacing the app drawer (to get one that smooth scrolls instead of scrolling by page). Easy? Hard? For a custom ROM on an EVO4G.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ilkhan posted:

Replacing the app drawer (to get one that smooth scrolls instead of scrolling by page). Easy? Hard? For a custom ROM on an EVO4G.

What launcher are you using? I think most of the big launchers have that option to change in them, and if not you'll just want to install a launcher that does smooth scrolling (so it's probably really easy).

e. For ADW, as an example, you go into the adw settings, then drawer settings, then click app drawer style and pick Verticle Plain. Should be something similar for whatever launcher you have.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 22, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
GoLauncher EX also has that in its Preferences menu. I used to use LauncherPro but now I prefer GoLauncher, seems a little bit prettier with more options.

Hey what is everyone's favorite way to root a Galaxy S II 9100? My sister lives in Europe and when she visits the states she'd like to at least have it carrier unlocked so we can just put a USA sim card in it and she'll have service. The phone is so new that its XDA forums page is kind of a mess, I can't tell what the 'best practices' are yet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Takes No Damage posted:

GoLauncher EX also has that in its Preferences menu. I used to use LauncherPro but now I prefer GoLauncher, seems a little bit prettier with more options.

Hey what is everyone's favorite way to root a Galaxy S II 9100? My sister lives in Europe and when she visits the states she'd like to at least have it carrier unlocked so we can just put a USA sim card in it and she'll have service. The phone is so new that its XDA forums page is kind of a mess, I can't tell what the 'best practices' are yet.

Rooting is not carrier unlocking, and it's incredibly rare to be able to unlock it yourself from home. Expect to have to take it to a skeezy store and pay $20 to do so.

Or, you know, take advantage of the EU laws that require carriers to unlock GSM phones upon request. Your choice.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Stunt Rock posted:

Fixed it. How? I... used a different computer. :confused:

This happened to me on my Incredible 2 as well. I would have warned you had I gotten to the thread on time.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

The same way you flash a SGS - download Odin and flash a custom rom. Leomars rom is fairly popular atm and isn't offensive looking.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 22, 2011

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Regarding the XPERIA PLAY, I have no idea why they went with old poo poo hardware for a gaming phone :( I really just want a loving hard controller on my phone, but I guess Sony is too far up its own rear end to consider that maybe an enthusiast device should come with enthusiast hardware :mad:

Nexus Prime looks cool but I don't trust Samsung much, as rooting their phones tends to be a nightmare of incompatible hardware. Should I worry about one in the "Nexus" line though?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Boten Anna posted:

Nexus Prime looks cool but I don't trust Samsung much, as rooting their phones tends to be a nightmare of incompatible hardware. Should I worry about one in the "Nexus" line though?

I didn't pay attention much to the Nexus S but it was Samsung also. Are most people happy with it? The Prime sounds awesome (I am saving my upgrade for it), but I hope the rumor about it being 4.5 is untrue.
You should know if Samsung is any better with CDMA with the SGS2 being released next month.

Also didn't the main guy from CM7 take a job with Samsung?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

The Nexus S had its issues, but ease of rooting was absolutely not among them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Boten Anna posted:

Nexus Prime looks cool but I don't trust Samsung much, as rooting their phones tends to be a nightmare of incompatible hardware.

Actually, the rooting was never the hard part...in fact, Samsung phones are probably the easiest to root...but custom ROMs are where the hardware and driver issues rear their ugly heads.

But the Nexus S was fairly free from that, not having nearly as much Samsung POS software/driver poo poo piled on it, since it was vanilla Android.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mr. Despair posted:

What launcher are you using? I think most of the big launchers have that option to change in them, and if not you'll just want to install a launcher that does smooth scrolling (so it's probably really easy).

e. For ADW, as an example, you go into the adw settings, then drawer settings, then click app drawer style and pick Verticle Plain. Should be something similar for whatever launcher you have.

Takes No Damage posted:

Its a sense 3.0 ROM, so isn't that the launcher? I think so.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah I was more concerned with the hardware drivers after rooting with custom ROMs. Rooting vanilla is kind of boring to me :)

I don't know if Samsung hiring Cyanogen is a good thing or not yet but hopefully it means they are acknowledging and enabling custom ROMs more. I think.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Its a sense 3.0 ROM, so isn't that the launcher? I think so.

I'm using a Sense3 rom on my Inspire right now and I didn't see an option to change how apps are listed, but in the GoLauncher settings I have this:

Could just be Virtuous Unity though...

Casao posted:

Rooting is not carrier unlocking, and it's incredibly rare to be able to unlock it yourself from home. Expect to have to take it to a skeezy store and pay $20 to do so.

Huh, the process I went through with rooting my Inspire included carrier unlocking. I assumed it was the same for all phones.

\/\/\/ Had no idea it was such a big deal, just got lucky with my choice of phone it seems.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 22, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh, the process I went through with rooting my Inspire included carrier unlocking. I assumed it was the same for all phones.

Definitely not.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Casao posted:

Actually with the SGS2 thats avoidable. I can't remember if you need to be rooted first but Chainfire released an app based on Odias work that has a pretty good chance of unlocking the sim if the phone is actually locked. I would have posted this earlier but it took me some time to remember about this.

Thread on Chainfires app:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092451

Market link:
market://details?id=eu.chainfire.sgs2simunlockcode

Odias thread just for more info:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1064978

Reading Odias/Chainfires thread is something ya need to do though, because about a month back samsung updated their simlock protection for at least some of their phones.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Did anyone grab that Swype beta on XDA when it was up? I know you can;t post it but can you email?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

b0nes posted:

Did anyone grab that Swype beta on XDA when it was up? I know you can;t post it but can you email?

Just sign up for the beta, it's free.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just got an EVO 3D and i am trying to root it. Ran through the revolutionary io process and it says s off is achieved. But clockwork says root not found. Am I missing a step?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

Just got an EVO 3D and i am trying to root it. Ran through the revolutionary io process and it says s off is achieved. But clockwork says root not found. Am I missing a step?

Did you install superuser?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You need to grab a recovery PG86IMG.zip file and flash it from the bootloader. Just put it on the sdcard, pull battery, power on while holding vol down. It will find the file and ask if you want to flash a recovery, press vol up or whatever to flash it. Once that's done, you can flash a superuser.zip or a rooted ROM from recovery.

You can follow this starting after the S-off part:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

I'm using TWRP instead of Clockwork. No particular reason, just not a fan of Clockwork.

TWRP recovery available here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192077

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

You need to grab a recovery PG86IMG.zip file and flash it from the bootloader. Just put it on the sdcard, pull battery, power on while holding vol down. It will find the file and ask if you want to flash a recovery, press vol up or whatever to flash it. Once that's done, you can flash a superuser.zip or a rooted ROM from recovery.

You can follow this starting after the S-off part:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

I'm using TWRP instead of Clockwork. No particular reason, just not a fan of Clockwork.

TWRP recovery available here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192077

This worked great, I didn't realize it didn't install Superuser and such. Thanks so much!

Now that I have a very nicely running Evo 3D rooted, any ROMS that are recommended? My Evo I approached where I basically just used Cyanogen, then Savage Zen and stuck with Stock Android ROMs. This time around I'm going to give Sense 3.0 a swing, so I am quite ok with it being very close to standard Sense.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
As far as Sense roms go, I'm partial to Clean ROM.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I've just been running stock rooted with a few tweaks.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

This worked great, I didn't realize it didn't install Superuser and such. Thanks so much!

Now that I have a very nicely running Evo 3D rooted, any ROMS that are recommended? My Evo I approached where I basically just used Cyanogen, then Savage Zen and stuck with Stock Android ROMs. This time around I'm going to give Sense 3.0 a swing, so I am quite ok with it being very close to standard Sense.
I like Synergy, although it can't yet be overclocked until the source is released for the latest kernel.

(edit: You can go back to version 318 or something around there if you want to overclock, but you'll be back on 2.3.3 as well)

I just pull down the differences using SVN and zip it up myself, which gives you immediate access to the newest stuff.

The notification pulldown has some nice updates:
- Tap and hold the banner to hide/show the recent apps list
- Tap the banner to get to a shitload of toggles and sliders. Basically everything, including a volume slider that can be tapped to change between Media/Ringer/etc

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 24, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
EVO 3D running the latest rooted stock 2.xx whatever ROM. I added GPU acceleration and removed the debug icon in my build.prop and flashed the stock kernel that has CIQ removed.

Anyone know how to remove the GPS crosshairs and add the extra Quick Settings stuff? This is all I really want in a ROM and not all the other extras, icons, and theme stuff people add.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

900ftjesus posted:

I added GPU acceleration

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

Edit: What exactly is CIQ anyway? Is it worth removing?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 24, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

Seconded.

And a link to the latest update is appreciated, the drat phone is already bugging me about it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

And a link to the latest update is appreciated, the drat phone is already bugging me about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16766716

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

900ftjesus posted:

EVO 3D running the latest rooted stock 2.xx whatever ROM. I added GPU acceleration

Is this also possible with the Sensation? Does it make a difference?