Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ari.gato posted:

Just finished a seven month resto-mod on my '96 Yamaha XJ600.

EDIT - teaser pic:

Wow, that bike looks absolutely stunning. I want it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ari.gato posted:

EDIT - teaser pic:

I'm loving the gold accents. The bike as a whole looks great!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was a beautiful night in Milwaukee last night. I took the Bandit out and brought my camera equipment along.

I paid $3 to get into this parking garage for the express purpose of taking pictures, so I'll be damned if I'm not getting my moneys worth.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

It was a beautiful night in Milwaukee last night. I took the Bandit out and brought my camera equipment along.

I paid $3 to get into this parking garage for the express purpose of taking pictures, so I'll be damned if I'm not getting my moneys worth.

SHEXSHI.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!

ari.gato posted:

EDIT - teaser pic:

Nicely Done.

Here's my Seca2:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
And here's my bike. I finally was able to ride it today. I don't have my license for 9 days, though. I like it, it felt comfortable and I remember how to ride a motorcycle after not riding since i was 12 (19 years.) Riding bicycles the last four or five years helped too.

79 CX500C w/17k. The brake reservoir leaks because the previous owner put it down a couple times. Other than that. I got it up to 40.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I will also occasionally ride the dog like a small horse.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

thylacine posted:

79 CX500C w/17k. The brake reservoir leaks because the previous owner put it down a couple times. Other than that. I got it up to 40.

I'm looking at an '80 CX500 tomorrow for a buddy, how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
$800. He was selling it for $900. There are a lot of them on my local craigslist. The first one I looked at was terrible and the guy wouldn't go down to $700. Thankfully. Now I have this one.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Sir.Tucker posted:

Nicely Done.

Here's my Seca2:

Very cool. I like it. Looks pretty aggressive too. No speedo?

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Not currently. I've been looking for a suitable replacement but it's going to be a pain in the rear end to mount anything in a minimalistic fashion.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sir.Tucker posted:

Not currently. I've been looking for a suitable replacement but it's going to be a pain in the rear end to mount anything in a minimalistic fashion.

For super minimal there's always these
http://motogadget.com/digitalinstrumente/digitaltacho-serie-mini/motoscope-mini.html
mounted in one of these
http://motogadget.com/digitalinstrumente/digitaltacho-serie-mini/montage.html
Just fitted one to a buddys streetfighter project. its drat sexy but really loving expensive.

it was this model,

i'll be out in his house tomorrow, i'll take a few pics and a video of it running.

I have an acewell on my bike

they make nice small round ones aswell

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

echomadman posted:

it was this model,

i'll be out in his house tomorrow, i'll take a few pics and a video of it running.

Oh man, that is amazing. Want it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

echomadman posted:

Really glad I didn't know about that when I was putting the CRF back together. Sadly now I know about it for the YSR.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

echomadman posted:

they make nice small round ones aswell

What kind of mount is that for the round acewell?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

thylacine posted:

$800. He was selling it for $900. There are a lot of them on my local craigslist. The first one I looked at was terrible and the guy wouldn't go down to $700. Thankfully. Now I have this one.

you all are making me jealous. I want a cx for my next bike.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Bike = a runner and a stunner.

Case guards = incredibly smart for your first bike. Don't take them off, as tempted as you might eventually be to shed 15 pounds and reclaim .00634 horsepower.

KZRider.com = go there.

My eagles = weeping tears of nostalgia for my 750 LTD.

Thanks man. Thanks to all the guys who gave their nod of approval. The more people I talk to about this bike, the more people have a great story about how they had one of their own. I feel guilty that I didn't know how great they were before I laid down the cash for it...

I don't know what case guards are... I'm guessing you're talking about the engine casing, thus the 'highway bars/crash guards' or whatever? I have no intention of taking them off - they will protect me from tears when this thing eventually hits the dust at a sideways angle.

I took it out on the highway yesterday. Wow. Wind is a force to be reckoned with and I won't be passing many cars. Then again, I don't think I'll be doing 10 over the limit like I'm used to in my car.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

House Party 4 posted:

I don't know what case guards are... I'm guessing you're talking about the engine casing, thus the 'highway bars/crash guards' or whatever? I have no intention of taking them off - they will protect me from tears when this thing eventually hits the dust at a sideways angle.

Actually they will guard the engine from damage. They won't do poo poo for your safety.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

House Party 4 posted:

I took it out on the highway yesterday. Wow. Wind is a force to be reckoned with and I won't be passing many cars. Then again, I don't think I'll be doing 10 over the limit like I'm used to in my car.

Wind is a problem if you're tense and stiff-armed when riding, you should never be gripping your bars too tight, you should be able to flap your elbows and move your torso around without it affecting your steering input. Once you loosen up the bike will be much less affected by crosswinds.
When i first started riding I used to do an Arrested Development-esque chicken impression every few minutes to consciously keep myself loose on the bike. Now its second nature (the looseness, not the chicken dance).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

House Party 4 posted:

Definitely an adjustment period/learning curve when dealing with wind. I rode the R1 at full tuck about 80% of the time because it feels good on my back. (I have swayback and it just felt like a good long stretch) Moving to the CM200T, having no windshield and sitting upright was a huge learning curve. I was comfortable at 100+ on the R1 and at first the Honda at 60 felt like I was going to get yanked off. I'm used to it now though and it's not so bad.

Just like echo said, lose the death-grip and get loose. If you find you're cramping up, you're to tense.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

House Party 4 posted:

As others have said, just takes a little getting used to. You probably can't sit back in quite as relaxed a position as you might normally, so you just have to figure out how much you have to lean forward to compensate for the extra wind. This is an instance where the naked sportsbike has a leg up on a cruiser, as the natural riding position on a sportsbike is leaning forward slightly, whereas your bike might tend to have you more upright. So, if you're sitting on the highway upright, you're probably having to hold onto the bars to keep you from being blown off. Try leaning forward a bit and see if that helps. The force of the wind definitely takes some getting used to, but once you're set, you'll be comfortable.

I will say that the wind force at 80mph or so can be quite strong, and it's actually making me consider selling my Speed Triple for a faired bike (BMW K1200S, preferably) for more comfortable highway riding.

That being said, passing (or being passed by) an 18-wheeler can still be a bit of an eye-opener. The amount of air those things displace is pretty amazing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Fantastipotamus posted:

That being said, passing (or being passed by) an 18-wheeler can still be a bit of an eye-opener. The amount of air those things displace is pretty amazing.

Eye opener? They make my pants brown sometimes. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I will say that the wind force at 80mph or so can be quite strong, and it's actually making me consider selling my Speed Triple for a faired bike (BMW K1200S, preferably) for more comfortable highway riding.

My biggest issue is that faired bikes, unless they have tall fairings big enough to route the air over your head entirely, have a tendency to just make the airflow turbulent as it hits your head. I'll take a solid wall of 75mph wind over crazy gusts hitting just my head.

High quality helmets really help here too.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
When the deliverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. (been waiting a while to say that)

'08 Kawi ZX-10R. I traded in my ER6n and rolled away on this baby. Brand-new, been sitting in their showroom waiting for me all these years. It is stupid fast and I am doing my best to treat it with respect.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Your words are too concise. "stupid fast" does not describe it enough. Detail the sensation more? :D

A bit too obvious that I'm hankering for a literbike...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

deliverator posted:

When the deliverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. (been waiting a while to say that)

'08 Kawi ZX-10R. I traded in my ER6n and rolled away on this baby. Brand-new, been sitting in their showroom waiting for me all these years. It is stupid fast and I am doing my best to treat it with respect.

If only smartwheels were available :(

Congrats on the new bike!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

If only smartwheels were available :(

Definitely went "why the gently caress can't I have that now?!" the first time I read that book.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

deliverator posted:

I've always had a softspot for the ZX10s, the first 04-05 ones were apparently pretty wild. 06-07 they got a little porkier and tamer, then the 08-2010 models were more like the 04-05.

Have you redlined it in first gear yet? My GSX-R read 102mph on the speedo before I shifted up to 2nd.... stupid fast indeed.

Riding a literbike definitely makes 600 supersports feel like beginner bikes.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

infraboy posted:

Riding a literbike definitely makes 600 supersports feel like beginner bikes.

Definitely, I literally laugh out loud at those WSS guys and their noob bikes.

I rode a 2005 to work every day before shifting to a more family friendly driving appliance, and after a while you get used to it, just like a 250, 600 or anything else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

deliverator posted:

Well, just be careful not to land in a pool.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Actually they will guard the engine from damage. They won't do poo poo for your safety.

Yeah, sorry, I meant protecting me from damaging all of the engine's dangley bits.

Thanks for the wind advice, guys. Things are getting better.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Finally got around to putting some real KMs on it. Guess I can call it mine now!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Sneak peek. I'll do a project thread on Sunday. Barn Fresh and $350.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Looks to be in drat fine condition for a barn find and 350 bucks. How long did it sit?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Picking up tomorrow morning, Wrath of Spouse allowing.

Apologies for lovely dealer cellphone.

This should be ... interesting. Have already ordered my battery tender and am going to check what's already in it before ordering a YTX14 and some extra R&Gs. Watching an ex-RSV1000 Ohlins as well. Going to pull the standard pillion pegs/hangers and pop a carbon hanger on to match the Akra. Tempted by more carbon crap already, but aside from being worthless in weight terms, it probably doesn't go with the bronze-framed bikes.

Saga fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 26, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

drat, RD and a Tuono. CA's got taste ;)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

AncientTV posted:

Looks to be in drat fine condition for a barn find and 350 bucks. How long did it sit?

It was parked 6 months before I was born, so 1984.

Oh, it also came with a title, and a Chlymer's from the era. I bought it seized yesterday, it's not anymore.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
(Badly executed) wheelie report will be provided just for Z3n. Suspect the results will be positive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

(Badly executed) wheelie report will be provided just for Z3n. Suspect the results will be positive.

The RSV engined bikes I've ridden have all wheelied like the front end was rolling up a ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Saga posted:

Picking up tomorrow morning, Wrath of Spouse allowing.

Apologies for lovely dealer cellphone.

This should be ... interesting. Have already ordered my battery tender and am going to check what's already in it before ordering a YTX14 and some extra R&Gs. Watching an ex-RSV1000 Ohlins as well. Going to pull the standard pillion pegs/hangers and pop a carbon hanger on to match the Akra. Tempted by more carbon crap already, but aside from being worthless in weight terms, it probably doesn't go with the bronze-framed bikes.

Holy crap, that's the first one I've seen. I've seen them discussed here but haven't actually spent the time to look... I'm in love!!:love::love::love: