Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I really hope the devs include a reference to Tenton. I know how unlikely it is but come on, they like him, we like him, everyone likes the fat, hungry bastard.

I'm hoping they'll put in a reference to the Malkavian Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hum, I've noticed an annoying bug in my game - my shotgun ammo count keeps resetting every time I pick up a new stack of shells ie if I start with 20 shells and pick up 10 I end up with 10. Is there an easy way to fix this?
I'm running with biomod.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Spankydoodle posted:

A fitting thing to say about this awful mod (it doesn't).

I'm starting to agree with this more and more as I play. Holy poo poo, nobody who worked on this should ever be allowed to touch any aspect of game design again. The characters make me want to skip every piece of dialogue, essential or not, there are multiple places to just flat-out get stuck with no way out short of reloading, and the guard behavior is retarded in every way. I loving executed 4 guards in a row with a pistol, while within 5 feet of the others. Not one of them did a drat thing other than die.

This is an awful excuse for a mod and the rest of you should be ashamed for encoraging this dreck. Just because someone smears poo poo on a canvas for 7 years doesn't make it more than poo poo on a canvas.

EDIT: The music is good, those people can keep on truckin. :thumbsup:

RichieWolk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 21, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The AI is standard DX, I never ever got stuck so I don't know what the hell, and I did skip all dialogue, but I still enjoyed the hell out of exploring every nook and cranny and playing around with new weapons, skills and environments.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
That's not standard DX AI by a long shot. I pulled out a pistol in a group of worldcorp "guards", and shot one in the head. The others didn't even change their alertness state to say "hey! stop right there!" like DX normally does. They stood there until I turned and shot them too.

If you go in the very first vent in the very first area in the game, there is an "adventurer's trap", a small pit that is just barely taller than the player can jump. It has a grate overlooking the basement, so it absolutely looks like you should be able to open it, or destroy it, or SOMETHING, but no. You get stuck and can't get back out without something to make you jump higher.

It's all small stuff, but the whole game is just comprised of lovely small things which makes up a big lovely thing. The only good part is the music, which is really pretty good.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

RichieWolk posted:

If you go in the very first vent in the very first area in the game, there is an "adventurer's trap", a small pit that is just barely taller than the player can jump. It has a grate overlooking the basement, so it absolutely looks like you should be able to open it, or destroy it, or SOMETHING, but no. You get stuck and can't get back out without something to make you jump higher.

Got caught in that too. I played this mod all the way to the last level and then just...stopped. I literally could not get the motivation to keep playing. I cared about no one and nothing. Nothing mattered as far as I was concerned. I really liked playing with all the new augs, weapons, and other goodies but once the "new item" appeal wears off I was left with odd internet humor. Also the whole "llamas and goats" conflict thing was just confusing and kinda sad.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Man I am trying to replay this but I am having so many loving problems. During conversations the screen will randomly go black and stay that way until I restart the game. Also, in Battery Park, as soon as I walk down the steps behind the soda machine the game freezes (but audio keeps playing). What the gently caress man I just want my Deus Ex :(.

Also I can't find gently caress all on Google about either of these.

EDIT: gently caress me, fresh reinstall in safe mode it doesn't work. Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh.
(I used to be really patient with this sort of thing but I just can't tolerate this kind of stuff anymore.)

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 21, 2011

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I put the DX10 thing in my deusex folder, but it still isn't showing up under the renderers. What am I missing?

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Man I am trying to replay this but I am having so many loving problems. During conversations the screen will randomly go black and stay that way until I restart the game. Also, in Battery Park, as soon as I walk down the steps behind the soda machine the game freezes (but audio keeps playing). What the gently caress man I just want my Deus Ex :(.

Also I can't find gently caress all on Google about either of these.

EDIT: gently caress me, fresh reinstall in safe mode it doesn't work. Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh.
(I used to be really patient with this sort of thing but I just can't tolerate this kind of stuff anymore.)

I don't have the freezing, but every so often my screen will go black. I just quicksave and restart the game, it only takes a few seconds so it's not really that big of a deal for me. Unless it's happening really often for you or something. Mine also aren't during conversations, just when i walk into a room or something.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What are you guys running? Which version/retail and what mods? Try to work backwards in figuring out; if vanilla is fine, if vanilla w/ fixer is fine, etc.

Demostrs posted:

So, I put the DX10 thing in my deusex folder, but it still isn't showing up under the renderers. What am I missing?
Hmm, are you using the fixer exe and running the config (not in-game)? Did you extract the dlls (if you got it from the Kentie DX10 page) to the \system folder?

RichieWolk posted:

That's not standard DX AI by a long shot. I pulled out a pistol in a group of worldcorp "guards", and shot one in the head. The others didn't even change their alertness state to say "hey! stop right there!" like DX normally does. They stood there until I turned and shot them too.

It's all small stuff, but the whole game is just comprised of lovely small things which makes up a big lovely thing. The only good part is the music, which is really pretty good.
Nah, I don't think the AI is that different, though especially the beginning there is too much space and laxness to be overcome by enemies or anything (that will come later). I don't think you're talking about the grate behind the hotel attendant because there are two ways out. There will be "inescapable" places later (if you use energy/items poorly), but Deus Ex wasn't immune to that either. But sounds like you just don't like it, that's fine it is just a mod, released for free, considered the best within reason in definitely a short list. :shobon: I only thought some of the level and weapon design worked from late in the game on, and, yes, do not like the story. Do think the music fits well, though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

RichieWolk posted:

I'm starting to agree with this more and more as I play. Holy poo poo, nobody who worked on this should ever be allowed to touch any aspect of game design again.

Stuff like this makes me wanna try the mod out. I have it downloaded and everything. The thing is, I know one of the designers (the lead designer, in fact). I've worked with him on a couple of projects and I seem to recall him saying, that he kinda regretted the forum set-up.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Stump Truck posted:

I don't have the freezing, but every so often my screen will go black. I just quicksave and restart the game, it only takes a few seconds so it's not really that big of a deal for me. Unless it's happening really often for you or something. Mine also aren't during conversations, just when i walk into a room or something.

Does it go all black expect for the HUD and stuff? If so, I remember reading that it is a bug with the DX10 renderer. Someone claimed somewhere that reverting back to an earlier version might fix the issue. I cannot find the page though, so I have no idea which version might work better.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doom Goon posted:

Did you extract the dlls (if you got it from the Kentie DX10 page) to the \system folder?

Welp, that would explain it :downs:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Iacen posted:

Stuff like this makes me wanna try the mod out. I have it downloaded and everything. The thing is, I know one of the designers (the lead designer, in fact). I've worked with him on a couple of projects and I seem to recall him saying, that he kinda regretted the forum set-up.

Because it's stupid. Probably the worst part of the mod. And the first hub gives an awful first impression, such that everyone who recommends The Nameless Mod has to say "ignore the Internet humour it dies down later, and it doesn't get properly good until like an hour in," which is a pretty big problem.

It's totally worth giving it a shot, though.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Yeah, even the devs themselves talk about realizing way too late about putting all the meta-crap into the beginning was a bad, bad idea in their postmortem ( http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/749/postmortem_the_nameless_.php ):

quote:

Our project is a PR nightmare

The final and perhaps the hardest problem we faced was making people understand that our game wasn't poo poo. We'd spent a lot of time making sure that people wouldn't be alienated by our game and that we had plenty of depth and internal consistency to keep everybody interested, but we'd completely underestimated what a huge turn-off the basic idea of the mod was to so many people. Every site where we published our trailer, and every forum thread where people began to discuss the mod, one sentiment would immediately surface like a knee-jerk reflex: What an idiotic concept. Why would anybody spend seven years working on this fan-boy circle-jerk of a game?

We were pretty crestfallen. We'd gone to such lengths to make sure TNM was a game, not just a joke, and many people wouldn't even give it a chance because they immediately assumed the worst. But to make matters worse, we came to realize that we'd frontloaded all the internet references, the fan culture and the memes and the in-jokes right in the first mission of the game.

Part of this was unavoidable. The first mission served by necessity to introduce the player to our setting, so all the opaque references and internet semiotics were presented to you immediately. Once out of the first introductory hub area, the setting would quickly slip into the back seat to leave room for the plot itself, but too many people seemed to never reach it, having lost all interest long before then. Since The Nameless Mod is free to download, we have no demo, but in terms of convincing people to invest their time in playing through TNM, that introduction area is all we have, and it seems to be doing a rather poor job.

Perhaps our greatest mistake was to tell people that The Nameless Mod was inspired by a real community that existed on the internet at one point in time. I suspect people in general would be a lot more susceptible to our quirky cyberspace setting if they thought we'd just invented it as a Snow Crash-esque sci-fi take on the internet, because then they wouldn't associate us with the reviled genre of "forum fan fiction" to begin with, and once playing the game, they wouldn't be expecting in-jokes everywhere. Much of the feedback we've received has implied that people constantly see in-jokes and obscure references when by far most of the game's fiction was either invented specifically to suit the plot or the setting or twisted so far out of its original shape that it no longer bears any resemblance to the events or the people it was inspired by.

A well-known games journalist graciously defending our concept wrote: "no wonder everyone makes games with space marines being gruff". I'd like to think people are generally open to new concepts, but I'll admit that our premise and our setting do us no favors. Not, however, because TNM is too weird -- there have been many successful games far stranger than The Nameless Mod and our world is quite recognizable when it comes down to it. But at the same time it reminds people of a genre of fiction that is almost never executed well. If we'd managed to set ourselves further apart from that genre with all the PR material we sent out, and if we'd done more to change people's expectations before firing up the game, I think we'd had a much easier sell.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just finished playing this game for the first time. "What a game" is right, Deus Ex was an excellent and very enjoyable experience. My only regret is not playing it sooner because I got stuck on the Liberty Island level, which I now look back on as very silly.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Did TNM originate here on the forums?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

RichieWolk posted:

This is an awful excuse for a mod and the rest of you should be ashamed for encoraging this dreck. Just because someone smears poo poo on a canvas for 7 years doesn't make it more than poo poo on a canvas.

YMMV, but I thought TNM was incredible. Yes, the first part plods, a lot of the jokes are obscure injokes, and internet humor isn't everyone's cup of tea. OTOH, the mapping is top-notch, the gameplay is as good as DX, the voice acting on the average is better than DX, and the skills and augs have been tweaked and balanced. It's at least 2/3 as big as DX, and when you consider that there are two paths you can take, it has at least as much replay value.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Underflow posted:

Did TNM originate here on the forums?

The PlanetDeusEx forums.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

RichieWolk posted:

Do you have Biomod installed? I believe that makes your jump height a smidge shorter than default. I don't have Biomod installed and never got stuck in the grate you mentioned. Took more than one attempt to jump out, but it certainly wasn't impossible.

And yeah, count me in with saying that TNM sucks early, then improves. It never gets better than "good for a mod" but considering it's size and the lack of Deus Ex mods it's admirable.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The Biomod readme says that "The Nameless Mod is not supported at the moment." Whether you can somehow force it or not I have no idea, though. Shifter apparently works and although I'm positive I used it I know it is not "fully" supported (it has to rely on the TNM code for most everything). Which grate are you guys talking about?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

The Biomod readme says that "The Nameless Mod is not supported at the moment." Whether you can somehow force it or not I have no idea, though. Shifter apparently works and although I'm positive I used it I know it is not "fully" supported (it has to rely on the TNM code for most everything). Which grate are you guys talking about?

Key problem I had is that health bots don't spawn in TNM at all if you have Shifter installed. Also, spawning a health bot via console doesn't work properly as apparently they changed them around a bit for TNM anyway.

Other than that I don't remember having many problems, though to be honest I got bored and gave up after a couple of hours.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Doom Goon posted:

If you go into a grate in the lobby of Phasmatis' hotel (it may be behind the desk), you enter a man-sized vent. The very first light you see on the right is a grate that drops down a little from the vent, and looks like it's openable. It's not, and if you don't have enhanced legs, you are stuck down there due to the jump being just a little bit too high.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why would you try and mod a mod? And then expect it to work? I hate to say it like that but drat

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 22, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Speaking of TNM, which I still haven't played, this always strikes me as amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, but we only have one tone.

I wonder what a stereotypical American accent sounds like in Chinese pop culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why would you try and mod a mod? And then expect it to work? I hate to say it like that but drat

Civ 4 has modmodmods.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Do you have a link to this?

E: It wouldn't be the first SA reference in a AAA game. Johnny Fiveaces shows up in New Vegas.

After reading those memos recently, I'm convinced Cave Johnson is a reference to Bear Cave Soup.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Convex posted:

Key problem I had is that health bots don't spawn in TNM at all if you have Shifter installed. Also, spawning a health bot via console doesn't work properly as apparently they changed them around a bit for TNM anyway.

Other than that I don't remember having many problems, though to be honest I got bored and gave up after a couple of hours.
They fixed the first problem in (I think based on the changelog) v.1.8.2 Shifter, though I'm unsure about the second; maybe a custom class which shouldn't be that hard to find. I don't know if Y|yukichigai specifically stated it was fully compatible or not before then.

EngineerSean posted:

If you go into a grate in the lobby of Phasmatis' hotel (it may be behind the desk), you enter a man-sized vent. The very first light you see on the right is a grate that drops down a little from the vent, and looks like it's openable. It's not, and if you don't have enhanced legs, you are stuck down there due to the jump being just a little bit too high.
I was curious about this so I loaded it up and tried jumping out and it works fine as long as you are crouching. The grate's just there to show items and the explosive as there's an easter egg nearby. I'm not calling you guys wrong or anything, though, because I used the 1.0.4 Plus fan patch as well as getting it to run through the latest Shifter so it could very well be different for me. At least it isn't hours and hours into the game (quite the opposite!), or unavoidable, or something like that.

Blackmjolnir
Mar 30, 2010

Bitchesss

Well, I installed biomod but now every time the game autosaves I crash to desktop. Halp?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Blackmjolnir posted:

Well, I installed biomod but now every time the game autosaves I crash to desktop. Halp?

Try running the game in admin-mode, it might have something to do with the game trying to write to the program file dir.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Got a question about installing the New Vision/Biomod/etc mods; I got the game via steam, so where would I be extracting the files to exactly, and would I be overwriting anything?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

Got a question about installing the New Vision/Biomod/etc mods; I got the game via steam, so where would I be extracting the files to exactly, and would I be overwriting anything?

Extract to the dir DX is installed, so steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\system or something like there. You can safely overwrite anything it asks, doesn't matter for steam.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Doom Goon posted:

I was curious about this so I loaded it up and tried jumping out and it works fine as long as you are crouching. The grate's just there to show items and the explosive as there's an easter egg nearby. I'm not calling you guys wrong or anything, though, because I used the 1.0.4 Plus fan patch as well as getting it to run through the latest Shifter so it could very well be different for me. At least it isn't hours and hours into the game (quite the opposite!), or unavoidable, or something like that.

I was curious about your post because there were like three people before me who had said they had run into the exact same unpassable spot. There is no key to mantle in my version of TNM, I have not used the fan patch, and with all that there is no way to get back up from there. No combination of crouching or jumping will get you back up with no augs or a box. Most people are not going to mod a mod to get it to work, and that's a really bad first impression. It's not the only spot either, it's just the easiest to identify.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I use the New Vision mod with the DX9 or OpenGL renderers (I only have an 8800GT), is that going to be everything I need? Steam just finished downloading the game and New Vision is downloading now.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Install at least shifter, but biomod is recommended. Shifter doesn't really ADD a lot, it just cleans the game up, makes it more fun to play. Biomod really changes stuff around big time, but it plays even better. Passive augs and stuff.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

EngineerSean posted:

I was curious about your post because there were like three people before me who had said they had run into the exact same unpassable spot. There is no key to mantle in my version of TNM, I have not used the fan patch, and with all that there is no way to get back up from there. No combination of crouching or jumping will get you back up with no augs or a box. Most people are not going to mod a mod to get it to work, and that's a really bad first impression. It's not the only spot either, it's just the easiest to identify.
The question (which was posed a few posts back and which noone has answered) is do you have Biomod installed? Because if you do, this is exactly the kind of issue that you'd run into.

The next version of Biomod will remove the jump height reduction because it causes too many issues like this and adds too little of value, but you shouldn't have it installed when playing TNM anyway, because it will at the very least break most of your augmentations, and probably several other things as well.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
code:
Speed Enhancement no longer allows you move silently at high speeds.
Is there a way to install BioMod without that change?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nope. Or you'd have to mod it yourself. Or just turn of the AI if you don't want a challenge. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e:nm
meant for the new game's thread

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 23, 2011