Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Eric flying with balloons is better as an unreachable dream. Whenever you are sad, just think about it. Think about strapping him into some balloons and him complaining about everything, insisting on a certain brand of balloon. His eyes bugging out as the chair first lifts off. Him floating up into the air while Artie claps on and throws baloney at him. Then the whole thing flings out of control because Scott checked on it and he drifts away to never be seen again.

That's so much better than reality could ever give us. You know in real life Eric wouldn't show up, or would and then back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going

Szyznyk posted:

They had brilliant Tampa-centric programming and they chased it off to RadioIo.

and ive been trying to cancel ever since. i paid about 44$ for the last year of service. currently free, they wouldn't let me cancel.

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Countdown to Snooki gets her own Sirius channel.

there won't be because they'd prolly have to pay her.

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going

Qaz Kwaz posted:

I really like Geektime. It's a bit comic-heavy, but they actually seem to know their poo poo. Ralph is perfect on that show.

too much comic books, and too much apple love. other than that its a decent show.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
After 6 years you'd think to know not to do poo poo like triple posting.

Mike Tahoe
May 21, 2007

He knows what it means.
I'm actually looking forward to this week's vacation shows. The "Dracula Gottfried Meets the Wack Pack" theme should be good.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ChaosMonkey posted:

I share this bitterness, my friend. It's tempered a bit by the fact that Eric never does anything, ever, but only very slightly.

I'm not bitter because whenever Eric refuses to do something, something comes out that makes him look even stupider. No balloons? Threatens his dignity? Then we get TWO naked pictures of him within six months of each other. And one close up of his midget weiner.

At this point, gently caress the balloons. We've seen his freaky body, we've heard him slap a phone against his dick, and we've seen him threaten a mob hit on someone on the phone. We've heard him go to all these weird places on the slightest bit of mockery that have demolished his dignity. The balloons would have been cool. But instead, Eric just fucks up much more.

AxeManiac posted:

Eric flying with balloons is better as an unreachable dream. Whenever you are sad, just think about it. Think about strapping him into some balloons and him complaining about everything, insisting on a certain brand of balloon. His eyes bugging out as the chair first lifts off. Him floating up into the air while Artie claps on and throws baloney at him. Then the whole thing flings out of control because Scott checked on it and he drifts away to never be seen again.

That's so much better than reality could ever give us. You know in real life Eric wouldn't show up, or would and then back out.

He would fall out of it and break a leg and then attempt to sue, only to get mocked by Artie. "Oh wow, now you'll never be able to walk again."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that's the thing though, back then I really thought he was gonna do it... so I feel burned that I ever believed it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Stern works 6 days out of 14, then must take a week a vacation. Too bad stern is so irrelevant nowadays that this bullshit isn't lampooned more by the mainstream.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Stern works 6 days out of 14, then must take a week a vacation. Too bad stern is so irrelevant nowadays that this bullshit isn't lampooned more by the mainstream.

Yeah. I'm still reading this thread after tossing my radio out last week, but between downloading podcasts to my Android and Spotify... I'm really not missing the show much. If anything, I miss hearing a few minutes of Farrell's scratchy voice late at night (and I know nothing about sports), and replays of good episodes from the past (Stern Show shuffle, etc). And that stuff is easily available to throw onto my MP3 player anyway, thanks to cool package links in this thread.

At this rate, I can't imagine what the show will be like in 4 years.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Chinook posted:

At this rate, I can't imagine what the show will be like in 4 years.

I honestly don't see it lasting another 4 years the way things are going. Something will give - SiriusXM will go bust, they'll buy out his contract, there will be a massive falling out between Howard and Sirius management followed by multiple lawsuits, something will happen to knock him off air.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

lynch_69 posted:

I honestly don't see it lasting another 4 years the way things are going. Something will give - SiriusXM will go bust, they'll buy out his contract, there will be a massive falling out between Howard and Sirius management followed by multiple lawsuits, something will happen to knock him off air.

This is my guess as well. 5 years was stupid and I haven't a clue why he even wants to do it. He should have done 3 years max and my guess is around year 2 he'll start to really complain about it all and by year 3 he'll probably work something out to make that his last year.

samuch
Aug 21, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's getting irritating trying to listen to him and then hearing him whine about complaints that he doesn't work a normal schedule.

I called last week to cancel my subscription and they said "would you stay if we offered you your radio plus web streaming for $5/month?" Eh, OK.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

Sirius could go the normal route and simply kick him off the air, stating 'this bit was illegal' or some dubious nonsense.

Crotch Bat posted:

This is my guess as well. 5 years was stupid and I haven't a clue why he even wants to do it. He should have done 3 years max and my guess is around year 2 he'll start to really complain about it all and by year 3 he'll probably work something out to make that his last year.

Five years sounds like something Sirius wanted. Why, I have no idea, but here it is.

On the bright side, this whole contract could liven up if Beth is found cheating on Howard. But given what has happened so far, it might just cause him to cry on the air and make a total rear end out of himself.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Sirius could go the normal route and simply kick him off the air, stating 'this bit was illegal' or some dubious nonsense.

Five years sounds like something Sirius wanted. Why, I have no idea, but here it is.

On the bright side, this whole contract could liven up if Beth is found cheating on Howard. But given what has happened so far, it might just cause him to cry on the air and make a total rear end out of himself.

I do wonder if they are going to kick him off...or maybe there is some sort of clause at the end which allows him to only come in a day or two. Maybe the last year or so - so he can "say goodbye" and still have the channels.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

lynch_69 posted:

there will be a massive falling out between Howard and Sirius management followed by multiple lawsuits, something will happen to knock him off air.

This would be the best thing that could happen to the show. I actually find myself missing Tom and The Dump Button. Howard does his best work when he's fighting with management.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

This is really old, but it's so pretentious - you gotta love Robin!

http://www.app.com/4074/july2008/fashion/features.html

There is a photo of her looking out of her window very pensively that made me laugh so hard I started to choke.

It's very long, so I won't copy and paste it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Her smile has always looked odd to me. Almost like she sneers instead of smiles.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

edit:

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

Her smile has always looked odd to me. Almost like she sneers instead of smiles.

I don't think most people just lift up their upper lip when they smile.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

lynch_69 posted:

edit:

That second one...that's the one.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

ChaosMonkey posted:

The ETM 2009 files are out there, and I've got them, but I don't know where to, y'know, put 'em.

Any suggestions, lemme know.

Eric the Midget collections are now up to 2009 on my hosting.

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 22, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Just spent the last 30 minutes on hold and finally cancelled my subscription. I made sure that they noted it was due to the fact the show is rarely on and when it is on it's awful.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

I do wonder if they are going to kick him off...or maybe there is some sort of clause at the end which allows him to only come in a day or two. Maybe the last year or so - so he can "say goodbye" and still have the channels.

If all else fails, I'm sure they could come to an agreement to air the old shows and have a Howard presence on the channel(s) and be done with it. They fought for the old shows for a reason.

Meanwhile, here's what Robin looks like when Photoshopped.

Full Image Here.

They filled in her hair and really cleaned up her complexion so she looks really unnatural and strange. But her sneer has to be failed plastic surgery, there is no way in hell this looks even remotely good. Jerri Blank had more realistic expressions.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Just spent the last 30 minutes on hold and finally cancelled my subscription. I made sure that they noted it was due to the fact the show is rarely on and when it is on it's awful.

For the past month I've been getting daily Sirius XM spam emails asking me to come back for the low low price of $25 for SIX months. They're getting pretty loving desperate.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

MrMidnight posted:

For the past month I've been getting daily Sirius XM spam emails asking me to come back for the low low price of $25 for SIX months. They're getting pretty loving desperate.

Wait till they actually raise the price of the service.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

burmart posted:

Wait till they actually raise the price of the service.

Hike the rates on the suckers willing to pay full price so you can afford to give away subscriptions in order to keep your subscriber count artificially high to bilk investors and advertisers.

Seems like a solid business plan to me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Howard isn't going anywhere in the next five years unless a major player dies IE Howard, Robin, Fred, Del'ABooey or Sirius somehow collapses. Sirius has what it wants which is a Howard Stern presence on the service in which they can market and Howard has what he wants which is a good paycheck, little work and still able to get on the air when he wants.

While we can all agree that the show is in a sorry,sorry state it is what everyone wants. Sirius has no interest in losing what is in effect it's biggest draw and Howard is not going to lose this deal which he could not get anywhere else. There is a much better chance at Sirius going belly up in the next few years but that has to do more with utterly boneheaded moves by management. Sirius is not like traditional media in which is driven by ratings which sets how much one is able to charge for advertising which pays for everything. As long as there are still X amount of subscribers they will keep trucking along. And if they start hemorrhaging subscribers and money you will see them cut other channels, starting with music, before they go after Stern.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Djarum posted:

Howard isn't going anywhere in the next five years unless a major player dies IE Howard, Robin, Fred, Del'ABooey or Sirius somehow collapses. Sirius has what it wants which is a Howard Stern presence on the service in which they can market and Howard has what he wants which is a good paycheck, little work and still able to get on the air when he wants.

Sirius traded around $8 per share prior to the recession and was trading at $0.11 cents during the recession. Since we're gonna double dip into another recession guess what's going to happen?

quote:

While we can all agree that the show is in a sorry,sorry state it is what everyone wants. Sirius has no interest in losing what is in effect it's biggest draw and Howard is not going to lose this deal which he could not get anywhere else. There is a much better chance at Sirius going belly up in the next few years but that has to do more with utterly boneheaded moves by management. Sirius is not like traditional media in which is driven by ratings which sets how much one is able to charge for advertising which pays for everything. As long as there are still X amount of subscribers they will keep trucking along. And if they start hemorrhaging subscribers and money you will see them cut other channels, starting with music, before they go after Stern.

Their biggest draw is quickly becoming a non-draw to the people that picked up sirius to listen to Howard. His new contract was a big gently caress you the fans that made it possible for him to be on sirius. Most of my friends are Howard Stern fans, and they've all been slowly canceling their subscriptions. It's a trend in this thread and on SFN too, so you can't write it off is nonsense empirical evidence.

Seriously, we're paying money for howard to play hide and seek with a radio program. It's becoming a effort to listen to, and I've stopped caring. The schedule of the program has been like this:

Monday - Beth / Cat Stories, Commenting on old news stories, Whining
Tuesday - Washed up Celeb Interview, Phone Game, Whining
Wednesday - Washed up Celeb Interview, Eric the Midget Call, Whining

Vacation - Regurgitated Special

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
You forgot talking about cell phones and how girls these days walk around with their entire assholes hanging out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Sirius traded around $8 per share prior to the recession and was trading at $0.11 cents during the recession. Since we're gonna double dip into another recession guess what's going to happen?

Sirius stock has been that way for years now. Their stock honestly is not that much of a factor as much as operating profit which they still are somehow making money. If they start to not make a profit or at least cover costs then there will be problems. The stock market is a whole other ballgame that I don't really feel like educating anyone on today and I doubt anyone truly cares about either.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Their biggest draw is quickly becoming a non-draw to the people that picked up sirius to listen to Howard. His new contract was a big gently caress you the fans that made it possible for him to be on sirius. Most of my friends are Howard Stern fans, and they've all been slowly canceling their subscriptions. It's a trend in this thread and on SFN too, so you can't write it off is nonsense empirical evidence.

Seriously, we're paying money for howard to play hide and seek with a radio program. It's becoming a effort to listen to, and I've stopped caring. The schedule of the program has been like this:

I agree that there is a exodus of Stern fans from the service but I would imagine the amount of people leaving the service is not as great as we would love to think. Perfect example is when Bubba left the service, there was another mass exodus then as well, but in Sirius's eyes they offshoot that by the new subscribers they get on a monthly basis from other avenues; IE new cars, etc.

I am not trying to apologize for Sirius or Stern. They both are obviously putting out lovely product and loving with their paying customers but this is how and why they are justifying it.

A big problem with Sirius is it is ran by former radio execs who are the absolute wrong people to be running it now. They need to get some forward thinking people, perhaps out of the tech and television industries that can push the service into the next era. Sirius is supposed to be this whole new world and it is basically the same thing you can get while going around the dial in NYC with fewer commercials.

What they should be doing with the movement towards online and cellphones is to give you more than what you can get with Pandora or Sportify. Make the Sirius App give you actual information while listening, maybe song lyrics or news. Have it use the GPS in your phone to give you live traffic updates while you are listening. There is a million things you can do with it but because you have people who can't get out of the bubble they have worked in all their lives you won't see it.

Sirius will limp it's way through the next four years but after Stern is gone it will die quickly as well due to it still pretending it is 1995.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
"I'll piss on this audience if I want!"

-Howard Stern

Gonna go back and listen to 06-09 and pretend nothing happened

LA DEE DA DA DA DA CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Djarum posted:

Sirius stock has been that way for years now. Their stock honestly is not that much of a factor as much as operating profit which they still are somehow making money. If they start to not make a profit or at least cover costs then there will be problems. The stock market is a whole other ballgame that I don't really feel like educating anyone on today and I doubt anyone truly cares about either.

I'm well aware of how the stock market and finance works. They have a substantial amount of long term debt, that compliments a bad current ratio, their own executives have zero faith in the company's future existence, with a recession coming back they will lose even more subscribers and be unable to pay back their debt. Who's going to invest in that? Their accounting gimmick of recognizing car sales as deferred income will be exposed again once car sales eat poo poo again.

Their stock price means a lot because if its worthless nobody gives a poo poo, they will be unable to raise the amount of money they need in any future issuance because no investor with a brain is going to invest money into a company that had its best days five years ago. Their best move they could make would be to enter chapter 11 to restructure the entire company to save it from its incompetent executive staff.

quote:

What they should be doing with the movement towards online and cellphones is to give you more than what you can get with Pandora or Sportify. Make the Sirius App give you actual information while listening, maybe song lyrics or news. Have it use the GPS in your phone to give you live traffic updates while you are listening. There is a million things you can do with it but because you have people who can't get out of the bubble they have worked in all their lives you won't see it.

How are they going to invest any money in R&D when they have none? You're talking about linking their own satellites with GPS satellites while accessing a massive regional servers to get stuff like that working. Having song lyrics broadcasted on your isn't going to save this company. Having like GPS updates on your phone isn't going to save it either. They would had needed to start working three years ago to see anything innovative that would salvage this company. At this point, I don't even think Sirius gives HSS a budget outside salaries and that cougar life pays for everything else.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
http://yfrog.com/5f1cnz

Christ JD what happened to you?

It looks like he ate a goddamn blimp. It didn't help that he had an atrocious face, but now he's fat too. All he needs to lose is his hair and then he has officially hit rock bottom.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Oh my lord he got huge. He has a belly now...and so quick! It seems like gained this over the last year or two. I bet he has put on an easy 60 pounds or so, maybe more.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
At least he still has ROCK STAR HAIR

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
The meme generator was pretty much made for Robin. http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625683

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

At least he still has ROCK STAR HAIR

Whenever I hear people having an argument I want to interject with some John the Stutterer comments.

RAAALPH

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I agree that the show is really lacking these days (when it's even on) but I can tell it's still relevant.
How?
By the way any celeb comes into the studio and gets the Howard Stern Interview Treatment™, even with the rear end in a top hat-licking and the, "Did you ever do her with a strap-on" stuff, he still gets stuff that gets scooped up and shotgunned all over the mass-market media. And people eat it up. Someone else with a better memory can come in here and post more examples, but I can throw out a few: Lady Gaga is the one I think of most recently. Jesse James and that Bombshell MacGee chick. Crystal what's-her-name talking about Hugh Hefner (which prompted not just a lot of media attention but Hef actually releasing a public rebuttal. Reaching back, I remember the Billy Joel interview as a highlight. David Arquette's many appearances and call-ins which drew much attention, and I am sure there are many others but they aren't coming to mind right now.

People who wan to diss Howard always scoff that he's disappeared since leaving terrestrial radio. The fact that they are still talking about him and lifting material from his show belies that premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziglol
Oct 13, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Whenever I hear people having an argument I want to interject with some John the Stutterer comments.

RAAALPH

YOU YOU NAZI CONSERVATIVE JESUS LOVING GLEN BECK WATCHING HYPP...OCRITE