Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
He's coding again. I think.

I think I see some ice-skates. :stare:

http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Imapanda posted:

He's coding again. I think.

I think I see some ice-skates. :stare:

http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch

The best part is watching his wife answer questions in the chat, also this.

Jesseii032 posted:

one day i wish to be your 'lost' daughter elin ): you will snuggle me and we can watch scary movies together! and then when papa notch walks in the door, we can have
a family hugg! :] (i know.. its creepy ;x )

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"I am a grown woman, please adopt me". :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SeXReX posted:

also this.

Creepy sperglord children are the reason we can't have anything nice. Nothing can describe my hatred for this person. Notch's lost foster daughter is the embodiment of the reason this world sucks and living on it is killing me slower than old age.

"Someday Notch will adopt me and we'll be a big happy family! They usually don't let me have compy time here in the asylum so I have to get this out there while I can!"

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus christ, what is missing from these people's brains that causes them to not see how loving crazy and inappropriate it is to say something like that to a stranger?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

bango skank posted:

Jesus christ, what is missing from these people's brains that causes them to not see how loving crazy and inappropriate it is to say something like that to a stranger?

Other people. Specifically real other people who aren't on the other end of a wire.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Because nobody's ever joked they want to have Notch's babies, even if they're a man and that's biologically impossible!

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread or not but I'm going to ask anyway:
I'm looking to buy a mini-pc, and since the only thing I really do with my desktop nowadays is play minecraft I wanted to get one that ran the game better than my current lovely computer. The one I'm looking at (the dell zino 410) has an AMD Phenom II X4 P960 Quad Core Processor 1.8GHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card.
I am pretty stupid with computers so please forgive me if these are not the stats that would actually be usefull. Will this setup run Minecraft well?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Because nobody's ever joked they want to have Notch's babies, even if they're a man and that's biologically impossible!
There's a difference between that stupid memetic phrase and getting into it so far as to imagine your life together in detail, then posting about it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jervas Dudley posted:

The last time I constructed a rail station, it had 16 destinations. Each destination had a booster big enough for the return. I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Sharing sections? Wouldn't you be concerned about collisions about sections in use by both directions of travel at the same time? Either way, yes, cartboosted rail may have been easier to manage construction-wise, but powered rail is simple enough that you just add some on and it works.

My latest railwork is for a somewhat smaller server than usual (most of the guys on it have dropped out for League of Legends or Terraria), so this time I decided to mix it up a bit and just make a two-lane loop around between our various home bases, one clockwise, the other counterclockwise. You get where you're going quickly enough, even stopping at each station and pushing the continue button, barring one segment that has to cross under the bay because one guy had to build on an island in his own neighborhood. You may want to consider something like that for local travel.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I need help!

The other night my game crashed as it normally does. However, this time I was testing out my rail system and inside a cart, travelling along. When I logged back on, there were 6 new minecarts on the track. I could destroy all of them, and then they'd show up in my inventory like I'd created them.

I thought, "hey, okay, free minecarts!"...but then as I traveled along my track, I noticed a few I had destroyed, but I can't pick them up. They just sit there hovering, and I can't go past them in the cart.

The hell happened?

*edit* It crashed again, I came back, the stuck minecart icon is gone, but there were NINE new minecarts on the track.

jazz babies fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 22, 2011

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Vib Rib posted:

"I am a grown woman, please adopt me". :stare:

The image honestly isn't complete without her diaper, frazzled hair, and glittery "PRINCESS" t-shirt.

In a mental ward, ofc.

Edit: Alright, what the gently caress is this

Carl Manneh posted:

From Mojang blog
Something is going on over at pigtales.minecraft.net. We are trying to figure out what these pigs are talking about, can you help us?

(Real story will be revealed Friday 26th)

The real story is actually just going to be an apology that over a hundred new bugs are being implemented in 1.8. :saddowns:

moondust fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 22, 2011

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn
Has anyone managed to ever get this thing to run on a MAC. The official file does jack all. Sits on the dock and crashes if you touch it.

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!
I am not ashamed to admit that pig tales site had me in hysterics, so I contributed this

I present BACON

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/86390ef79adf4fe2b2a2b48a9a8e168d

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
http://pigtales.minecraft.net/957a3afd383a40a58c51119947a24fb5

I am a humorless fun hater

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
so what's the status on the chain world? please don't let it die people!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This speaks for itself. (Or does it)

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/aaf8f2c6a2be4f898910f5eac2a4ed4b

I'm really curious as to what this all means.

edit: one more: http://pigtales.minecraft.net/18cd990a8687415d88587ac3d577de96

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 22, 2011

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
It had to be done.

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/21e4d76ee2e449faadbe0d3cb6a9a2e5

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Let's run this poo poo into the ground

(Autism)http://pigtales.minecraft.net/c8498f9a80e14ec28348f0eb0046bc3d

(Notch, pls)http://pigtales.minecraft.net/bf633919c5cf4bd68dc66deb23b662b9

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A Sassy Dog posted:

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/957a3afd383a40a58c51119947a24fb5

I am a humorless fun hater
That one is funnier than it has any rights to be.

My own try at it
http://pigtales.minecraft.net/92600e7598db437d8245a374c70cb151

Iacen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 22, 2011

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
http://pigtales.minecraft.net/a647505462ca4b2ea0cb375555480ec0

i thought that one was genuinely funny v:shobon:v

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tinaun posted:

Powered rails do not give much of an extra boost with long sections. Placing one every 20 or so rails gives the best constant speed. So yes, there is no benefit to long chains of boosters.

You can maintain 8 meters per second with spacing of 50. I've done this for kilometers on the knifeback mountain server with no problems at all. Generally I start off with a double booster to get up to full speed immediately.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

meme23 posted:

Has anyone managed to ever get this thing to run on a MAC. The official file does jack all. Sits on the dock and crashes if you touch it.

Yeah, lots of people on our server play on a Mac, myself included, and another admin. Try to see if you have a Java update?

not now
Aug 23, 2008

meme23 posted:

I had the same problems a few versions back, and this solved it for me back then: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383735&userid=142968#post390239654

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

DoubleDown11 posted:

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread or not but I'm going to ask anyway:
I'm looking to buy a mini-pc, and since the only thing I really do with my desktop nowadays is play minecraft I wanted to get one that ran the game better than my current lovely computer. The one I'm looking at (the dell zino 410) has an AMD Phenom II X4 P960 Quad Core Processor 1.8GHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card.
I am pretty stupid with computers so please forgive me if these are not the stats that would actually be usefull. Will this setup run Minecraft well?

Throw an SSD in that and you should be fine. The Phenom there is a bit slowish but should be plenty for minecraft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So uh, I haven't paid attention to minecraft development for the last month (last I saw about the adventure update were endermen). Is there a date for 1.8 yet? Is there a place where I can see everything that was unveiled at Gamescom (they showed it there, right?)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh, I haven't paid attention to minecraft development for the last month (last I saw about the adventure update were endermen). Is there a date for 1.8 yet? Is there a place where I can see everything that was unveiled at Gamescom (they showed it there, right?)

No, they didn't show anything at Gamescom. They're showing off 1.8 at PAX this weekend.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

No, they didn't show anything at Gamescom. They're showing off 1.8 at PAX this weekend.

Huh, guess I got my events mixed. He said it was coming out sometime in august, though, right? So I guess that doesn't leave much time after pax...

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh, guess I got my events mixed. He said it was coming out sometime in august, though, right? So I guess that doesn't leave much time after pax...
Last I heard we were still on the "week after PAX" schedule.

And they did show off stuff at Gamescom - but it was the Portable edition, not 1.8.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

A Sassy Dog posted:

Last I heard we were still on the "week after PAX" schedule.

And they did show off stuff at Gamescom - but it was the Portable edition, not 1.8.

Mojang didn't have any of their staff at Gamescom even - they sent Xephos and Honeydew amongst others to work the Sony-Ericsson booth for Minecraft's release.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Where are we on the chain world? I haven't seen anything in a while and I don't want it to die.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

King Hotpants posted:

Where are we on the chain world? I haven't seen anything in a while and I don't want it to die.

It can't die if it's not alive. :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly is the chain world?

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is the chain world?
This:

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list.
You build until you die and then pass it on to the next person who repeats the process.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It went poof last time too.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Well then we need to have more than just one person keeping it going.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Isnt there an intermittent copy that the previous person has? If we don't hear from the current player, just send that copy on to the next person on the list.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
If Danyull doesn't come back I'd be happy to take over.

e: Last time Danyull updated, the world was passed to Abortion Is Uummy. He died right away so it should have gone to Estel. Paging Estel! Did you ever get it?

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2011

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Spiderman posted:

This:

You build until you die and then pass it on to the next person who repeats the process.

That sounds neat. I'd be willing to participate, assuming I could figure out how to share worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not make a thread for it in pgs or something and require everyone to submit multiple methods of contacting them so when one person starts to go MIA everyone else can hound them to either finish their turn or just pass it on?