Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

echopapa posted:

When all else fails, just throw tough-sounding words together. I suggest Laserfist Bazooka.

Choose any name from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm an engineering student and PCB machinist, movie would be Wild at Heart, TV show is Twin Peaks and True Blood (I'm addicted to the hot raunchy vampires), I don't really follow teams, I'm more of a martial arts & archery girl. I knit, crochet, bake, and play bass and keyboards when I have the time.

There's plenty of material, but I just plain suck at names. The last band I had never got one, we just used a crappy generated name.

I was thinking about using my name, Ana, or Anna, for it, but I can't think of anything I like. The closest I got to liking something was A. Horne, but no one is going to get that around here, and it isn't really creative.

Anne T Sparkle (Anti Sparkle), since you like vampires that aren't Twilight?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Ria posted:

Anne T Sparkle (Anti Sparkle), since you like vampires that aren't Twilight?

I dig that! But since I'm in a non English speaking country the pun will probably be lost to most people.

Hahaha, that MST3K thing was hilarious. Now that I'm open to not using my name, this is getting a little easier. I've thought of a crappy few, then remembered an ex used to call me Dahlia, and I liked Attack Dahlia. I'm still going to think of some more, I'll report back here when I decide. My last resort will be flipping the pages of a dictionary or using random Wikipedia pages.
Thanks for the help!

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Rules publication:
http://wftda.com/rules/publications/prejam-positioning

Very short of it: If a team lines up behind the line, jam starts, jam ends, official time out, they all get IP minors, pivot gets IP major, 30 seconds to next jam.

Thank god.
So super fun implications of this because of wording that I just found out:

Assume that the pictures below are how people are set up pre-jam for each scenario, looking at the track from the bench, with the jammers behind the jammer line.

Scenario 1:

Not okay, no pack is called, jammers are released, if pack isn't immediately reformed(or formed in the first place, since there is no pack, someone in red has to jump 20 feet ahead which is quite literally impossible due to the ambiguity of "immediately"), jam is called dead, official time out, IP minors go out, pivot gets IP major, 30 seconds to next jam.

This came up in a scrimmage we had the other night, and people were :wtf: ing. Before the clarification, Red would just be out of play and couldn't block the jammers. However, after the clarification, they were never in position and the rest of the rule follows, handing out penalties if no one forms the pack and calling the jam dead.

Scenario 2:

Okay, however if any red blockers in the back block the jammer, they are out of play and comedy ensues. There's a pack up front, but the people in the back can't do anything legally.

Scenario 3:

Completely fine, Red blocker 10 feet back is still in the pack and is extending the pack definition. Red blockers in the back can block the jammer since they are in play(20 feet from pack).

As an aside, knee drop no-pack starts are still fine, since by getting up the players satisfy the "immediately" clause of the rule.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 29, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
In scenario 1, nothing I see there would trigger the new rule. The new rule is if a team is not "in position" at the first whistle. "in position" does not mean "in the pack", so wouldn't scenario 1 be identical to starting on a knee? It would just be jammers release, Red can't block them because no pack, congrats to red for taking themselves out of the jam I guess. But it doesn't look like any penalties would be handed out.

E: This is what I mean: "Pivot Blockers are considered in position when they are on the track on or behind the Pivot line and ahead of the Jammer line. Blockers are considered in position when they are on the track behind the Pivot line, behind the Pivot's hips if she is on the Pivot line, and ahead of the Jammer line."

Says nothing about being in a legal pack. You just have to be ahead of the jammer line and behind the pivot line.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 29, 2011

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Dominion posted:

In scenario 1, nothing I see there would trigger the new rule. The new rule is if a team is not "in position" at the first whistle. "in position" does not mean "in the pack", so wouldn't scenario 1 be identical to starting on a knee? It would just be jammers release, Red can't block them because no pack, congrats to red for taking themselves out of the jam I guess. But it doesn't look like any penalties would be handed out.

E: This is what I mean: "Pivot Blockers are considered in position when they are on the track on or behind the Pivot line and ahead of the Jammer line. Blockers are considered in position when they are on the track behind the Pivot line, behind the Pivot's hips if she is on the Pivot line, and ahead of the Jammer line."

Says nothing about being in a legal pack. You just have to be ahead of the jammer line and behind the pivot line.
While you're right about the in position part being between the two lines, the whole rule has to be looked at. Look at it like this:

quote:

Prior to the start of a jam, Blockers and Pivots must be in position in pre-jam formation so that the pack will exist behind the pivot line and in front of the Jammer line at the time of the first whistle
In scenario 1, there is no pack(it doesn't exist), and note the bolding, so it goes to the or part which is:

quote:

or immediately after the first whistle should the Jam begin with a No Pack.
Red blockers are jerking it and the "immediately" expires since they think they're blocking when they're really out of play. If they don't reform quickly enough, jam is dead, since they were out of position by definition.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 29, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

downtimejesus posted:

While you're right about the in position part being between the two lines, the whole rule has to be looked at. Look at it like this:

In scenario 1, there is no pack(it doesn't exist), and note the bolding, so it goes to the or part which is:
Red blockers are jerking it and the "immediately" expires since they think they're blocking when they're really out of play. If they don't reform quickly enough, jam is dead, since they were out of position by definition.

I don't think that matters. There's a definition of "in position" (which scenario 1 does not break), and a description of the penalty that occurs when you break the rule. The bolded thing about there being a pack is just a description of why people need to be in position, it doesn't change what being in position means.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Dominion posted:

I don't think that matters. There's a definition of "in position" (which scenario 1 does not break), and a description of the penalty that occurs when you break the rule. The bolded thing about there being a pack is just a description of why people need to be in position, it doesn't change what being in position means.
I'd definitely agree with you if the part in bold didn't exist, but it does.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Failure to reform penalties are assessed when skaters do not immediately (and this means immediately after No Pack is called) attempt (attempt) to reform. This does not mean immediately reform.

The top paragraph explains what the clarification is intending to do. The later paragraphs explain what you do to enforce it. The later paragraphs state that the jam is called off if a majority are not in position. Scenario one has all blockers in position. Jam is not called off.

The clarification does not say to whistle the jam dead if there is no pack at the start whistle, nor does it say to whistle the jam dead if there is no pack and the pack does not immediately reform.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm an engineering student and PCB machinist, movie would be Wild at Heart, TV show is Twin Peaks and True Blood (I'm addicted to the hot raunchy vampires), I don't really follow teams, I'm more of a martial arts & archery girl. I knit, crochet, bake, and play bass and keyboards when I have the time.

There's plenty of material, but I just plain suck at names. The last band I had never got one, we just used a crappy generated name.

I was thinking about using my name, Ana, or Anna, for it, but I can't think of anything I like. The closest I got to liking something was A. Horne, but no one is going to get that around here, and it isn't really creative.

If you are a small person, I'd go with Micro Farad. You might be small, but you pack a good charge.

If you were in an English speaking country, I'd throw out my favorite name I've come up with: Joslyn Ontheline.

To go further down the EE pun road, you could have some sort of play on impedance, with a number like 75 (omega symbol). I don't have a good name for this handy, but I think I would like a name like this.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
If only I were little! I'm quite tall, so it wouldn't make that much sense, but I think I will go with something science/EE related. I'll let you know, thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday I got my rear end kicked in training. Plus, my blood sugar went low and I almost puked. I was a sad panda.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

^ DC?

I vaguely recall someone from DC having a Sookie-inspired name.

Naptown

Mr. Powers posted:

If you were in an English speaking country, I'd throw out my favorite name I've come up with: Joslyn Ontheline.

We also have a Jostlelynn Hoes.

Sweet As Sin posted:

If only I were little! I'm quite tall, so it wouldn't make that much sense, but I think I will go with something science/EE related. I'll let you know, thanks for the suggestion.

What specifically are you interested in? The other Indianapolis team has an Ionic Bondage, and she's a chemist.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Hey, we won this weekend. :toot: As usual, was a giant clusterfuck and the refs got their arm exercise for the day. I did that thing where I jam, do something dumb, go to the box, get out of the box in the next jam, skate for 30 seconds, then do something else dumb and go back to the box. Go me. Still scored a decent amount of points though.

Next one is in Rome, NY again, 8/13.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

downtimejesus posted:

Maybe I'm not up on how these things are read, but it doesn't seem like they would be out of position. The definition of "in position" only seems to include that the skaters be positioned between the lines and in the proper spot relative to the Pivot. The "must" part at the beginning puts an extra condition about the pack in along with being in position, but it's not stated that immediately forming a pack is part of being in position, or what happens if both of those conditions aren't met.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

Hey, we won this weekend. :toot: As usual, was a giant clusterfuck and the refs got their arm exercise for the day. I did that thing where I jam, do something dumb, go to the box, get out of the box in the next jam, skate for 30 seconds, then do something else dumb and go back to the box. Go me. Still scored a decent amount of points though.

Next one is in Rome, NY again, 8/13.

Roller derby at a sporting facility named after JFK? :aaaaa:

We bout at the JFK Coliseum in Manchester, NH.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Roller derby at a sporting facility named after JFK? :aaaaa:
We bout at the JFK Coliseum in Manchester, NH.
I signed a drunk fan's shoe at the afterparty.

Bout recap for those interested: http://quadfathers.blogspot.com/2011/08/bout-recap-7302011-vs-capital-district.html

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

downtimejesus posted:

Get your hands on the statsbook spreadsheet, they have really cool statistics.

This is the one I filled in from our last bout.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Get your hands on the statsbook spreadsheet, they have really cool statistics.

This is the one I filled in from our last bout.
We were going to set up Rinxter but we haven't gotten around to it since we are low on people to actually run the thing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I reffed my first outdoor bout yesterday. I felt pretty badass reffing with sunglasses on.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
And now, for something COMPLETELY different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6xT_ThxdI

Did anyone remember/used to watch this show? I friggin' loved it, but I knew it was fake even when I was 9 years old. Didn't care, though.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Sweet jesus I loved Rollergames -- I think it's more than partially responsible for me being so involved in Derby.

If I tried watching it now, though, it may make my poor ref mind blow up. :) Anyways, I preferred the Hot Flash, even if they were the jobber team.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

So I got invited to my first derby practice yesterday. It was amazing fun even though I haven't skated since I was around 8 years old. The ladies there were so nice and just so...chill. My sister-in-law is actually trying out with me as well, so it'll be a nice bonding experience. I'll definitely be watching this thread for more info and such. :)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think it is stupidly awesome (emphasis on stupid) that I've jam reffed for and sent to the box a Team USA skater.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I've been run down by a Team Canada skater; I'm with ya. :) (She forgot it was no-contact.)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
'Snot Rocket Science, one of the most well-rounded and dynamic skaters I've ever seen, who plays on our (SCDD's) A-Team, the Steel Hurtin', was accepted to Team USA. Needless to say, our whole league is super-pumped.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That World Cup is going to be a Dream-Team level massacre, but it would be really interesting to see those skaters working together. Apparently on the first day they're going to split the team in half and play each other, which is about as close to a WFTDA Pro Bowl as we are likely to see anytime soon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

That World Cup is going to be a Dream-Team level massacre, but it would be really interesting to see those skaters working together. Apparently on the first day they're going to split the team in half and play each other, which is about as close to a WFTDA Pro Bowl as we are likely to see anytime soon.

Any idea if this will be streamed?

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Any idea if this will be streamed?
I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

downtimejesus posted:

We were going to set up Rinxter but we haven't gotten around to it since we are low on people to actually run the thing.

This is literally the thing I've been waiting for/thinking of creating myself for a long time now. Thanks for the link!

Seriously, gently caress all those lovely iphone apps. iOS is not a reliable platform for this sort of thing, but something that uses javascript in a browser is perfect (and cross-platform)

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Aericina posted:

What specifically are you interested in? The other Indianapolis team has an Ionic Bondage, and she's a chemist.

I decided on Tera Tesla. I really like it, and for a number I'm probably going to use the imaginary number. I'm a nerd!

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Trip report from last weekend: Scored 79 points, got MVP. :toot:
http://quadfathers.blogspot.com/2011/08/bout-recap-8132011-vs-burlington-bomb.html

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I decided on Tera Tesla. I really like it, and for a number I'm probably going to use the imaginary number. I'm a nerd!

I'm no math nerd, but my name is Danica McKiller and my number is pi314. :haw:

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

downtimejesus posted:

Trip report from last weekend: Scored 79 points, got MVP. :toot:
http://quadfathers.blogspot.com/2011/08/bout-recap-8132011-vs-burlington-bomb.html

Yay congratulations! Especially scoring 79 points :drat:

I'll have to ask Lizy Longshanks how it was, I'm super fascinated by men's derby but haven't gotten to see much of it yet!

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

scorpiobean posted:

Yay congratulations! Especially scoring 79 points :drat:

I'll have to ask Lizy Longshanks how it was, I'm super fascinated by men's derby but haven't gotten to see much of it yet!
We got new uniforms printed on soccer jerseys, and they were eighty million times more breathable than our printed t-shirts we had before. Also, when we sweat, they don't turn into wet towels. The jerseys were a major part of me being able to go every other jam.

Also, men's derby is usually a total shitshow in regards to stuff you won't see the girls do(leaving the refs to call poo poo/not call poo poo/go wtf), and is stupid fun to watch.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I played roller derby with a group here in Central Florida, but quit because the group was so "Cliquey" that they had a hard time letting in fresh meat. I was with them at least 6 months and never got any feedback on my skills, my advancements or improvements, good OR bad. I went to every practice and every fundraiser. Just felt like I never belonged. I was also tired of the drama that was going on with the board members, who seemed to be more in it for themselves and their close friends rather than the team as a whole. Recently, a few of us have joined together to form a new league, under the M.A.D.E. ruleset. It definitely has it's growing pains right now, but I'm excited to be on the ground floor of a new league, especially with possible co-ed skating.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Cryosleep posted:

I played roller derby with a group here in Central Florida, but quit because the group was so "Cliquey" that they had a hard time letting in fresh meat. I was with them at least 6 months and never got any feedback on my skills, my advancements or improvements, good OR bad. I went to every practice and every fundraiser. Just felt like I never belonged. I was also tired of the drama that was going on with the board members, who seemed to be more in it for themselves and their close friends rather than the team as a whole. Recently, a few of us have joined together to form a new league, under the M.A.D.E. ruleset. It definitely has it's growing pains right now, but I'm excited to be on the ground floor of a new league, especially with possible co-ed skating.

Wait, what is your derby name and what league are you in now?

EDIT: I think you may have sent me a Facebook invite this morning...

EDIT2: Now I know for a fact. My first name is Patrick, I'm one of the owners of Florida Derby League.

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 20, 2011

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Yep, I did. I'm gonna keep my derby name and league under wraps for a bit, until we go public, but you know who I am and probably know the name of the league (maybe not). A few of the league are coming out to skate with you guys tomorrow. I'm working, but trying to get out of it so I can go. Hope to see you there!

edit: got someone to cover my shift so I'll be there at practice.

Cryosleep fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 20, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Cryosleep posted:

Yep, I did. I'm gonna keep my derby name and league under wraps for a bit, until we go public, but you know who I am and probably know the name of the league (maybe not). A few of the league are coming out to skate with you guys tomorrow. I'm working, but trying to get out of it so I can go. Hope to see you there!

Yeah no worries, I won't blow your cover. And yes, we'll see some people Sunday. Our next practice after that is on Tuesday.

^^^ Awesome, we'll see you there.

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 20, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Well, I got to do some Derby skating with another goon. I probably embarrassed myself, but I'm used to that. The only suspicious thing is that Cryosleep wasn't a female neckbeard, which means that I was probably the weird one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Aericina posted:

I'm no math nerd, but my name is Danica McKiller and my number is pi314. :haw:

Hahaha, awesome. I was going to go for pi, but I use imaginary numbers way more.

My first game is on Thursday!!! It is an exhibition game, but still, I'm very happy I made it to the team.

• Locked thread