Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don't remember The Maestro at all, and after looking him up on Youtube, all I can ask is.... why?

Although I must say, I do miss the days of having 50 interchangeable jobbers with ridiculous other-career gimmicks that they could bring out at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

billy cuts posted:

12/3/99 Salina, KS

Curt Hennig def. Disco Inferno
Evan Karagias def. The Maestro
Barbarian def. Prince Iaukea
Jushin Thunder Liger def. Psychosis
Jeff Jarrett def. Dustin Rhodes
Creative Control def. Hacksaw Jim Duggan & Chavo
Chris Benoit def. Ric Flair
Bret Hart def. Sting

Holy poo poo, I would have loved this.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Wise Teen posted:

I don't remember The Maestro at all, and after looking him up on Youtube, all I can ask is.... why?
Because he owned the rights to the 'Gorgeous George' name (He's the original Georges great nephew) and WCW wanted it.

On another subject of WCWs stupidity, does anyone remember the PPV they did in England? It featured none of their big stars and the main event was Ron and Don Harris vs. The Mamalukes.
I don't think the crowd was very pleased.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Wise Teen posted:

OOH LA LA!

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet

I posted:

Because he owned the rights to the 'Gorgeous George' name (He's the original Georges great nephew) and WCW wanted it.

And they ended up using it on a valet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

And they ended up using it on a valet.

Didn't Randy Savage own it and wanted to give it to Lenny?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think WCW started using it without the Maestro's permission (Savage's girlfriend/ valet). That's probably how Maestro was able to negotiate a nice fat contract with WCW, in exchange for the GG name rights.

Edit: Wikipedia seems to agree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George_III#Return_to_World_Championship_Wrestling

I fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 22, 2011

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I remember the internet flipping out when Liger showed up with the IWGP Junior Heavyweight belt in WCW. I also remember the internet flipping out even more dramatically in the opposite direction when he lost the title to Juvi smashing him over the head with a bottle of tequila.

It was pretty infuriating at the time, but now I just think it's really, really funny.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

CarlCX posted:

I remember the internet flipping out when Liger showed up with the IWGP Junior Heavyweight belt in WCW. I also remember the internet flipping out even more dramatically in the opposite direction when he lost the title to Juvi smashing him over the head with a bottle of tequila.

It was pretty infuriating at the time, but now I just think it's really, really funny.
I went and looked up Psychosis vs Liger because that sounds like it should have been pretty awesome. I was pretty surprised to see an un-masked Psychosis competing in the match.

I cannot exactly remember what the fetish that WCW had with unmasking their Lucha stars. Not only was it loving them up in Mexico when they all returned, but there's only been two cases where unmasking a Luchadore has benefited, that I can remember. Juvi, who's mask was loving ugly and Dos Caras Jr, who has a great look as ADR.

Psicosis had an awesome costume and mask, and it makes me a bit sad to see him wrestle unmasked. I remember watching ONS live, and seeing the entire Hammerstein Ballroom poo poo all over that match, because Psicosis took his mask off and Rey did the 619.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I really hate myself for not watching WCW back in the day. I was a wrestling fan forever, but I stopped watching in 1996 as a 12 year old, after I watched the first In Your House "Buried Alive", I thought that was the point that wrestling became way too loving stupid for my liking). While Buried Alive was my "gently caress this" point, the WWF had been so terrible for so long that I'm surprised I even watched up to that. I was quite the mark back then, so when the "fake" Diesel and Razor Ramon debuted, I was pissed, and since I didn't watch WCW I had no clue that those guys were mocking Hall & Nash. I thought it was just a lovely WWF bait and switch.

I returned to watching WWF in December 99, after the Wrestlemania 2000 game came out, and proceeded to watch Nitro every night for an hour before RAW came on. WCW was a joke by that point, though. At the time, we had one of those "scrambled" satellite cards where we got all PPV for free, so I routinely watched all the WCW PPVs in 2000/01 for comedic value. They were so loving bad near the end that there was no way that lovely company could continue.

I really hate that I missed the Monday Night Wars (by late 99 it wasn't a war anymore), as I most certainly would've LOVED WCW during it's heyday, as it was the answer to everything I hated about WWF. I remember that back in middle school, NWO shirts were loving EVERYWHERE, yet I still wouldn't give it a shot, because WWF killed my interest in wrestling that much:( I should've listened to my friends who said to give it one more shot.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Knowing that they gave out free tickets to Nitro, I really wish I went down to the arenas and got free tickets. While wearing a WWF shirt so they gave me a free Goldberg shirt to put over it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I will say this, in late 96 it is amazing how far ahead of the curve Nitro was compared to RAW which really did suck. However, with RAW you can see all the pieces are there just waiting to be put together where as WCW stayed stagnent at the top until it was too late.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

I will say this, in late 96 it is amazing how far ahead of the curve Nitro was compared to RAW which really did suck. However, with RAW you can see all the pieces are there just waiting to be put together where as WCW stayed stagnent at the top until it was too late.

WCW looked so bright and big time, Raw looked like it was recorded in a dark cave somewhere.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I cannot exactly remember what the fetish that WCW had with unmasking their Lucha stars. Not only was it loving them up in Mexico when they all returned, but there's only been two cases where unmasking a Luchadore has benefited, that I can remember. Juvi, who's mask was loving ugly and Dos Caras Jr, who has a great look as ADR.

Bischoff swore up and down that masked luchadors were not marketable because people couldn't see their faces so they didn't care about them.

If anybody is ever trying to argue that Eric Bischoff is an intelligent man who understands his audience, you can point this out to automatically win the argument.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

triplexpac posted:

WCW looked so bright and big time, Raw looked like it was recorded in a dark cave somewhere.

That is why I liked RAW so much more from the start. The 'Warzone' was a place where anything could happen. Nitro was too bright and polished. How could something really crazy happen in an area so clean and thought out? RAW really did look like the inmates were running asylum (which was actually the opposite when compared to WCW).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
WWF's production values were garbage until 98 or so. It's REALLY apparent in some of their PPVs. Royal Rumble 97 looks awful, from the terrible lighting to the atrocious camera work. They missed more than a few eliminations iirc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And to make things worse they sometimes taped up to a month at a time like TNA. To say the crowd is less than enthusiastic around "week four" is an understatement (especially when the main event is Marc Mero and Jake Roberts v. Hunter and Billy Gunn)*.

But yet again, the caveat is that their booking is laid out around two months in advance so they build things up well. That may be due to the whole one month per taping issue, but still Nitro felt week to week at the start of the NWO. ( but that may have helped it feel so fresh and exciting).

If you watched Hardcore TV, Nitro and RAW in 96 and were told that only RAW would survive I would have told you to pull the other one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The contrast between WCW Saturday Night & Pro vs. Nitro was totally night and day in early 1996. While Nitro was dominated by Hogan and Savage vs. The Horsemen and Dungeon of Doom every week, the weekend shows were filled with enhancement matches under a few minutes each. Having just watched from September to the end of February over the past month, Nitro was so horrible compared to Raw, I'm surprised they won the ratings war at all.

In a way I'm really glad the Monday NIght Ward did away with enhancement matches. How the heck did I sit through this poo poo as a kid? I was like the typical die hard wrestling fan, I watched even the crappy weekend shows.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CVagts posted:

I think the actual line was, "Suicide dive! And it's a shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life!" Which still doesn't top the Benoit quote, but it's close.

I don't know where I heard this (it might have been in this very thread and I just have a poor memory) but I remember that when Scott Steiner first joined the NWO, his nickname was "White Thunder" because he had dyed his hair blonde and wore a white singlet, but they changed the nickname quickly because it was considered racist. Is this true, and what's the story behind it?

There was also an episode of Nitro where Scott Steiner interrupted a match to beat the poo poo out of Booker T and Stevie Ray with a baseball bat. A white baseball bat. Try to think of the last time you saw an all-white baseball bat. And after leaving the two of them unconscious, he turned to Sharmell and screamed "You wanna be with a REAL man? HUH?!"

The racism in WCW was bad enough before Vince "I'm an American and that's what I want to see" Russo showed up.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was also an episode of Nitro where Scott Steiner interrupted a match to beat the poo poo out of Booker T and Stevie Ray with a baseball bat. A white baseball bat. Try to think of the last time you saw an all-white baseball bat. And after leaving the two of them unconscious, he turned to Sharmell and screamed "You wanna be with a REAL man? HUH?!"

The racism in WCW was bad enough before Vince "I'm an American and that's what I want to see" Russo showed up.

You have got to be loving kidding me. You don't seriously believe that a white baseball bat = racism do you?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
It's Scott Steiner, a man so obsessed with white that he made his hair and beard white, and wore white pants to the ring a bunch of times

I think it was a subtle commentary on "how much steiner fuckin loves white" moreso than race

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Not only that, but the real man thing is part of his shtick.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I only bought one WCW PPV and that was Slamboree, or whichever had WCW World Champion David Arquette defending in the Triple Tier Cage Match. Even though it was probably the best of the WCW PPVs of its last few years, man it sucked balls.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I only bought one WCW PPV and that was Slamboree, or whichever had WCW World Champion David Arquette defending in the Triple Tier Cage Match. Even though it was probably the best of the WCW PPVs of its last few years, man it sucked balls.

you may or may not have seen ready 2 rumble in place of a ppv

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Save Russian Jews posted:

you may or may not have seen ready 2 rumble in place of a ppv

nah, I've seen that and that was also terrible, but in a my god, it's so poo poo it's hilarious kind of way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I enjoyed Ready 2 Rumble, but I like terrible movies sometimes. I still think I WILL RUUULE YOUUU is a great wrestling catchphrase.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

I enjoyed Ready 2 Rumble, but I like terrible movies sometimes. I still think I WILL RUUULE YOUUU is a great wrestling catchphrase.

for some reason every time I saw robert in game of thrones i could only think of this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I still feel the Disney World thing wouldn't have been bad for WCW if they had simply followed the TNA rule of not trying to tape multiple weeks and instead exploit that guys don't have to go touring all over the country because they regularly go to one place.

Disney was trying to get Orlando off the ground as 'Hollywood East' and seemed happy to let Bischoff work so long as visitor surveys showed that people had a good time and felt it added value to their ticket. And as much as people might say it hurts the product to have people in the crowd wearing mouse ears who don't know who any of the wrestlers are and don't regularly tune in, people coming in just to see this fake fighting they've heard so much about are more likely to cheer and shout when watching guys that regular viewers know are boring slugs.

Look at me, the first match I ever watched on the show that made me a regular viewer was Road Dogg VS Big Boss Man. There's no guarantee I'd even keep the TV on to watch that match now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 26, 2011

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Putting on a free show (like at Disney) costs a lot of money, so you have to tape as much as possible for it to make sense. The WWF would do basically the same thing for a long time, and did so into the Monday Night Wars. What the WWF used to do is film about 3-4 weeks worth of TV in one night (mostly squash matches) with interview segments throughout. What WCW did with Disney would be to tape 3-4 weeks at one show, but then tape the next 3-4 weeks the following show. Meaning they would tape 6-8 weeks worth of matches and angles in 2 nights!

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. It's cheaper and there is less wear and tear on the wrestlers.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Putting on a free show (like at Disney) costs a lot of money, so you have to tape as much as possible for it to make sense. The WWF would do basically the same thing for a long time, and did so into the Monday Night Wars. What the WWF used to do is film about 3-4 weeks worth of TV in one night (mostly squash matches) with interview segments throughout. What WCW did with Disney would be to tape 3-4 weeks at one show, but then tape the next 3-4 weeks the following show. Meaning they would tape 6-8 weeks worth of matches and angles in 2 nights!

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. It's cheaper and there is less wear and tear on the wrestlers.

It doesn't make sense though when you have injuries and other live events in between all the tapings. you can't got 8 weeks into TV tapings when so many things can change.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

It doesn't make sense though when you have injuries and other live events in between all the tapings. you can't got 8 weeks into TV tapings when so many things can change.

Believe me, I know. I sat through roughly 4 hours of Monday Night Raw tapings in 1996 that saw three weeks of angles and matches shot that built to a PPV main event where Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson and the Ultimate Warrior were going to team up. Too bad that the Warrior was gone from the WWF basically the next night and all of that taping was retconned with a Jim Cornette voice-over. When I said that it was good for business, I meant financially, not good for the wrestling business as a whole.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Believe me, I know. I sat through roughly 4 hours of Monday Night Raw tapings in 1996 that saw three weeks of angles and matches shot that built to a PPV main event where Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson and the Ultimate Warrior were going to team up. Too bad that the Warrior was gone from the WWF basically the next night and all of that taping was retconned with a Jim Cornette voice-over. When I said that it was good for business, I meant financially, not good for the wrestling business as a whole.

How did Coronette explain it anyway?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Felony posted:

How did Coronette explain it anyway?

Cornette was managing the heel trio in that main event.

I believe it was a Jim Cornette voice-over "cell phone call" about how they ran the Warrior off of the road and he would be unable to compete. Shawn & Ahmed brought in Sid as their partner in a promo that did not take place at the Raw tapings.

Here's the reveal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynpqm_KfCS0

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 26, 2011

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Cornette was managing the heel trio in that main event.

I believe it was a Jim Cornette voice-over "cell phone call" about how they ran the Warrior off of the road and he would be unable to compete. Shawn & Ahmed brought in Sid as their partner in a promo that did not take place at the Raw tapings.

Here's the reveal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynpqm_KfCS0

Thats one hell of a trio right there. HBK, Ahmed and Sid.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Felony posted:

Thats one hell of a trio right there. HBK, Ahmed and Sid.

That reminds me of when I did backyard stuff (yes I know) and the best guy in our group started a stable with the worst two guys in our group.

"Why the gently caress do you want to be with them?"
"I don't have to wrestle them anymore."
"...:aaaaa:"

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Minges posted:

That reminds me of when I did backyard stuff (yes I know) and the best guy in our group started a stable with the worst two guys in our group.

"Why the gently caress do you want to be with them?"
"I don't have to wrestle them anymore."
"...:aaaaa:"

I remember that CM Punk commented John Cena's entrance into the Nexus was a great chance to avoid ever having to wrestle Otunga again.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
The Ahmed/Sid/Shawn 6Man was really awesome anyway.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
That reminds me of a Survivor Series match with Ahmed/HBK/Bulldog/Sid vs. Razor/Douglas/Owen/Yokozuna. When Bulldog's the second best worker on your team, there might be a bit of trouble.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CVagts posted:

That reminds me of a Survivor Series match with Ahmed/HBK/Bulldog/Sid vs. Razor/Douglas/Owen/Yokozuna. When Bulldog's the second best worker on your team, there might be a bit of trouble.

Wait, what the gently caress is wrong with Bulldog? Bulldog was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

Wait, what the gently caress is wrong with Bulldog? Bulldog was awesome.

don't you get it, all wrestlers are crappy workers save [lists a bunch of people i like]