Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fyrbrand posted:

Edge highlighting like this is indeed terrible.

I FIGHT FOR THE USERS

e: PUGNO PRO USERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I found an even worse example.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing is that it takes twice as much effort to make it look that bad. If they'd just highlight from the top, it would look competent.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I discovered a little shop today in Reading centre that sells warmachine and hordes, amongst other thing, as well as Vallejo Game Colour and P3 paints. But most importantly - they sell all the microarts studio stuff. I'm now convincing my friends they want to buy fancy microart studio bases for me to paint for them.

Does anyone have a good resource for painting wood? I've made a shack out of lolly sticks and so on, and a few things out of balsa wood but can't actually paint it to look any good.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fyrbrand posted:

I hate Tron marines, but whatever floats your boat dude.

I don't know what this means.

But you're right, the highlights are way too bold but I think toned down a bit they can work. I just sooner highlight all the edges with chipped paint-metal then do just the brighter color you're painting. On tanks anyways, infantry is a different thing.

I'm saying that you need to paint tanks differently then how you paint a space marine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
T minus 1.5 weeks:

We worked with spackle, spackle and more spackle. The board is actually quite close to ready for painting, water effects etc.

Here's an older picture with the layout of the houses, of course those houses are almost painted now:

Biggest remaining item for me is to finish the roofs and paint them. And finish the bandit gangs. And maybe paint up some townspeople and samurai. And write the rules and scenario. But that's ok, we have 1.5 weeks left. :)

e: and yes, we are going to highlight every single line on it with a thick border of Skull White, because that's how pros roll.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 22, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dayum. What game are you playing with that setup?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fix posted:

Dayum. What game are you playing with that setup?

We call it Samurai Night Fever. Basically a diorama game for a diorama convention, where points based games are banned. We plan on using a slightly watered down version of the LotR skirmish game, it seems really quick and easy and should handle both bands of worthless bandits and samurai heroes alike. But we plan to mod it by throwing out some rules and adding random events drawn from hanafuda cards and all sorts of nonsense. Which will work since the game has a GM: "Oh no! You drew a... poetry scroll of the month of chrysanthemums? A rowing band of ninja appears!". And there's always the odd game of Japanese Mordheim, which we made our own home-made mod for.

Other than that, it's the perfect proportions for Warmahordes, which is increasingly popular around here, so it might serve for that as well. The hills will be a complete death trap for metal jacks though, tumbling to their doom as they explode into piles of metal pieces and chafed paint.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 22, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Think you could modernize up some of those buildings? Do some sci-fi with the asian feel? You'd be pretty well kicking everyone else's rear end who is trying to do Yu Jing stuff for Infinity.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fix posted:

Think you could modernize up some of those buildings? Do some sci-fi with the asian feel? You'd be pretty well kicking everyone else's rear end who is trying to do Yu Jing stuff for Infinity.

Yes, the actual board will be quite generic actually, so it would not be too hard to make additional buildings to switch things up, or even alternative roofs etc..

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hmm. Gonna want to talk with you about that someday.

So, over in the Infinity thread, I've been working on a board myself, and I started using the regular foamcore to do buildings, when I got the bright idea to hit up the local sign shop and snag some 1/8" PVC and cut buildings from that! It's awesome stuff, cuts in great lines, glues really well, is super sturdy, sandable, spray-paintable, and so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm working with this stuff today, and really wrenching on it with a knife to get some deep cuts and it seems really hard to cut, and after a few hours of working on it, I look at my hands and I see this:

loving micro-lesions everywhere! You get such sharp edges on this plastic that if you grip it too tight (say, tight enough to hold it still as you're cutting it) it will slice the poo poo out of your skin! Never felt it as it was happening, I only started noticing when my buildings were coming out all bloody.

So a word to the wise: If you work with pvc for construction, figure out a way to either clamp your plastic to your work table, or wear gloves or something, because otherwise this poo poo will slice you up!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should have adapted to the situation at hand and made some truly realistic bloodspatter on the terrain.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
It's because you have soft, girly hands.

You need to work more in the hobby fields, and harvest yourself some proper callouses.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
This thread is inspiring me to break out the old paints and countless half painted miniatures and start again. In the days follwing the first night of inspiration I will get lazy, not put anything away, and say "I'll get to it" while my 4 month old lab puppy quietly starts devouring them piece by piece.

Yup its a plan, tonight I paint!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Red Herring posted:

You need to work more in the hobby fields, and harvest yourself some proper callouses.

I think Fix should just marry more women, covering his hands in 14k-gold armour one ring at a time. Then he can have his own reality show, and suddenly hamming pays for itself.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I was just thinking that myself. "Self?" I thought, "What would be most beneficial to your hobby time? Certainly, more wives would do it."

Red Herring posted:

It's true. They are. I just need to keep working with this stuff until I'm wearing black-red gloves of dried blood.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think Fix should just marry more women, covering his hands in 14k-gold armour one ring at a time.

You're my wife now.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'll try edege highlighting in a bit. Been putting it off for over a week.
Too afraid I'll gently caress up all of my marines. :byodood:
Trying to watch a video from awesomepaintjob.com but my sister is hogging the internet as usual when she is here so it takes a week to buffer the videos.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Fix posted:

So a word to the wise: If you work with pvc for construction, figure out a way to either clamp your plastic to your work table, or wear gloves or something, because otherwise this poo poo will slice you up!

The tagline around my wargaming group is that "if there's no blood, you aren't modelling; just playing with dolls."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Torabi posted:

I'll try edege highlighting in a bit. Been putting it off for over a week.
Too afraid I'll gently caress up all of my marines. :byodood:
Trying to watch a video from awesomepaintjob.com but my sister is hogging the internet as usual when she is here so it takes a week to buffer the videos.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/08/basics-line-highlighting-made-simple.html

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

You're my wife now.

This. This is how I shall paint my Salamanders. Vulkan Laz'rou, questing eternally for the last missing chapter relic... Dave.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Wutup Inifinity Miniatures?

PAINTING, SHO NUFF.

I am really excited about how these are turning out. Need to finish weapons, hands, bases and then final touchups.

Edit: Also I might paint the helmets blue, otherwise they will be white.
EditEdit: I hope this isn't the bottom post of the page like last time.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 24, 2011

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The lining of that skirt looks good (as does the armour and tan cloth)

What are you planning for the bases? I have literally only ever done forest bases before (used black tea owns), and am drawing a blank on what to do for infinity.

edit: just saw the street thing on the knight. Looks pretty good.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welp, I survived the war, made it back to America, got incredibly drunk, and now I'm dangerously close to starting painting again. I've just got decals to put on 5 Grey Hunters, a Land Raider to paint, and some static grass to toss on a bunch of bases and I'll actually have a totally painted army. Holy poo poo, that's kind of a scary thought.

What should I work on afterwards: Keep working on my Catachan or finally get back to working on my Brets I've had sitting in boxes for years?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Welcome back! :)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Hell Diver posted:

Welp, I survived the war, made it back to America, got incredibly drunk, and now I'm dangerously close to starting painting again. I've just got decals to put on 5 Grey Hunters, a Land Raider to paint, and some static grass to toss on a bunch of bases and I'll actually have a totally painted army. Holy poo poo, that's kind of a scary thought.

What should I work on afterwards: Keep working on my Catachan or finally get back to working on my Brets I've had sitting in boxes for years?

Grats on not dying.

Now get back to work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hell Diver posted:

I was extremely disappointed that this post did not include pictures of awesome Space Wolves. Glad you made it back! Do some Brets, that would be cool.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I was in town at lunch time and grabbed some Savage Orcs. Just done a test paintjob, but I think the green is too old school 80's Orc, so I might use a more yellowy green base colour instead of Knarloc, similar to the ones on the GW site.

EDIT: For some reason the camera's made the colour's even more greener than they should be, here's a crappy camera phone picture showing the actual colours only blurry.

richyp fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 24, 2011

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
For those that have done squash molding, what material is being used here?

To be clear this is not my doing, this is not my picture.

Some poo poo disturber on the Infinity forums has essentaily bragged about ripping off Corvus Belli's intellectual property. Scum-baggery aside, I must admit that the detail in the copy is very good. I can see that the mold itself is Instamold, but what is the material used in the 'casting'.

I want to know for purposes of legitimate casting and reproduction of components, not stealing from a company like Corvus Belli.

PV if this crosses the line with regards to :filez: let me know and I'll delete this post.

And if this does need to be deleted, if you are quoting me just quote the part below.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Casting miniatures ~ :words:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Indolent Bastard posted:

For those that have done squash molding, what material is being used here?

Neckbeard semen.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

With the way the flash looks it doesn't seem like it was poured; looks like an epoxy squish to me, using something like Magicsculpt.

Honestly this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I understand wanting to slap an HMG on a model because an HMG version hasn't been released, but to just straight up do this and post pics of it, that's not very cool.

EDIT: I can't find that thread; got a link?

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 24, 2011

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I tried to highlight one of my Space Marines yesterday. Edge highlighting that is.
I can't say that it went well. :smith:

I mixed bleached bone and the ultra marine blue (keep forgetting the name) but I just can't get it right. It did get lighter though. It looks.. alright in some places I suppose. I'll snap a picture or two of it tomorrow.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torabi posted:

I tried to highlight one of my Space Marines yesterday. Edge highlighting that is.

I mixed bleached bone and the ultra marine blue (keep forgetting the name) but I just can't get it right. It did get lighter though. It looks.. alright in some places I suppose. I'll snap a picture or two of it tomorrow.

What didn't go well about it? Are the highlights too light or chalky? Try using a lighter blue like Enchanted blue by itself instead of mixing a highlight, sometimes that gives a different effect.

Are they wobbly and un-straight? That's just a brush control thing and will get better with practice.

Do they look weird and out of place, or like a glowing Tron marine? Then you're applying them to the wrong places, or to too many places. Try to imagine a light source coming from above the model, and only highlight edges where that light would hit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Angryboot posted:

With the way the flash looks it doesn't seem like it was poured; looks like an epoxy squish to me, using something like Magicsculpt.

Honestly this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I understand wanting to slap an HMG on a model because an HMG version hasn't been released, but to just straight up do this and post pics of it, that's not very cool.

EDIT: I can't find that thread; got a link?

They closed it after 6 pages of 98% of posters saying that it was stealing and 2 trolls blathering on about how "It's like downloading music, and who hasn't done that?" and "It can't be illegal if I can buy casting materials."

It was really stupid stuff.

The original poster claimed he did it to replace a missing part but then decided to make a cast of the whole mini (in fact a whole bunch of them) to keep as an in store demo set.

[sarcasm]Because that is how you sell the game to new players, 2nd rate copies of the real minis.[/sarcasm]

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, so that's why I can't find it.

This guy was gonna put that lovely copy with those flash-in-hard-to-clean-areas in a store? Oh boy. Hope he's not the one running the store.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Torabi posted:

As Dominion said, there are a number of ways for highlighting to go wrong, if it is just that the lines are wobbly then you'll see improvement pretty quickly.

I still kind of suck at it, but last night I highlighted three marines after months without properly highlighting anything. The first one was messy, the second a bit better, and the third as good as I've ever achieved. It's a lot like riding a bike.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was going to say, the detail looks fine but holy poo poo does that flash look like a pain to deal with. It would be ok if you were making yourself some icons or something without a back, but it's hard to imagine it'll fly on a full cast.

The material looks like some regular two-part epoxy to me. If I was going to cast anything this way I would use 'brown stuff', I think.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Dominion posted:

What didn't go well about it? Are the highlights too light or chalky? Try using a lighter blue like Enchanted blue by itself instead of mixing a highlight, sometimes that gives a different effect.

Are they wobbly and un-straight? That's just a brush control thing and will get better with practice.

Do they look weird and out of place, or like a glowing Tron marine? Then you're applying them to the wrong places, or to too many places. Try to imagine a light source coming from above the model, and only highlight edges where that light would hit.

It is mainly that the lines are too wobbly I suppose. I'll try and clean it up a bit tomorrow and post pictures.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

There is a grey 2 part epoxy sculpting putty called ProCreate. I've used it to press mold crap for a conversion. It didn't come out that nice since I used it for the mold itself also and it just didn't work that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torabi posted:

It is mainly that the lines are too wobbly I suppose. I'll try and clean it up a bit tomorrow and post pictures.

For me, the wobbliness stopped when I learned what people were talking about when they said to use the edge of the brush. Don't try to paint a line along the edge with the tip of your brush like you normally would, your hands will be wobbly and you'll get a wobbly line.

Instead, use the side of the brush, and drag it across the edge. Like this:

The "caution" there is reminding you to still pay attention to where your brush tip is so it doesnt leave stray marks. But you're painting the highlights with the side.

• Locked thread