Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

that awful man posted:

They could in the prequels.

Of course, we've decided that the prequels aren't goon canon.

Those Republic Assault Ships are hardly Star Destroyers.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those Republic Assault Ships are hardly Star Destroyers.

also didn't tarkin get famous for squashing protesters with a star destroyer? or am I thinking of something else?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

also didn't tarkin get famous for squashing protesters with a star destroyer? or am I thinking of something else?

Just a shuttle as I remember it, but yeah. He done that.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Haha, what the gently caress. Is there a story to go with that?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Some sit-in protest at a spaceport. When the crowd refused to disperse, he landed on them.

I swear I remember a separate incident being mentioned in one of the books where he does something similar, except rather than landing on them, he fired the engines into the bay on which the town was located and boiled them alive or something...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Torael_7 posted:

Some sit-in protest at a spaceport. When the crowd refused to disperse, he landed on them.

I swear I remember a separate incident being mentioned in one of the books where he does something similar, except rather than landing on them, he fired the engines into the bay on which the town was located and boiled them alive or something...

:allears: Oh that Tarkin.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Torael_7 posted:

yeah I might have got the two events combined. Both ring a bell but I cannot remember which book they were mentioned in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ghorman_Massacre

Wookieepedia posted:

A group of activists were protesting Imperial taxation on the planet Ghorman in the Sern sector. Wilhuff Tarkin's vessel was blocked by peaceful protesters who stood on the ship's landing pad and refused to move. With implied permission from Palpatine, Tarkin landed the ship anyway, right on the protestors, injuring and killing hundreds. An overwhelming majority were killed instantly. A lucky few escaped the ordeal with their lives, but sustained severe injuries, some later resulting in death.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Victory Star Destroyers can enter an atmosphere, at least. I remember that little detail from the original Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (one of my first SW books, I will admit) because when I originally saw AOTC, I assumed that the Acclamators were supposed to be Victories.

I feel like it was recently retconned that the Imperial SDs could enter atmosphere but just not land, or something. Or maybe I'm just making that up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

All scifi has its good and bad points, but BG made a concerted effort to have realistic physics for all its ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enjkVJb4Mw

Replace Battlestar with Star Destroyer and the results would be the same.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lest we forget all the gift that keeps on giving (by which I mean the Star Wars of the 1990s)... I just remembered that there was literally a ship called the thirty-six double-D.

Of the 1980s, the less said the better, of course.

Still think we need to add this to the timeline.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

yronic heroism posted:

Still think we need to add this to the timeline.

No, its too terrifying to expose new people to.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like it was recently retconned that the Imperial SDs could enter atmosphere but just not land, or something. Or maybe I'm just making that up.

If they have adequate repulsors, I'm sure they could enter the atmosphere, yeah. Otherwise they look like the Galactica in the clip Bombadilillo linked.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

dude got an early look at the blu-rays

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/starwarsbds/preview.html

quote:

Now, you’ll recall that a little bit ago, I said these should probably be best considered new 2011 versions of these films, and not the 2004 DVD versions. All the fixes and corrections alone justify this in my opinion, but there’s another reason too… and you can probably guess what it is: Once again, George has apparently added a few new “surprises” into these films. I don’t know what they are and didn’t get to see any of them on Friday, but I was assured that there will be “new things to notice” when we watch the films.

:smithicide:

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The vast majority of that article is very encouraging. It definitely makes it sound like the technical issues - color corrections, audio fixes, etc. - that plagued previous releases actually have been fixed for this set.

As for the "new surprises", that will be the next can of worms that we can complain about until the Super Mega Ultimate 3D Interactive Holographic™ box set is released in 2017 for the 40th anniversary of A New Hope.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Greedo and Han dont shoot at all. Hug it out.

I hope his suprises are in there fuckin up the prequals. I probably wouldnt notice, only saw 2 and 3 once each...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

angrylinuxgeek posted:

Oh, God Dammit George...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I have no problem with them changing Anakin in light of the prequals. But should he be loving old. Since you force ghost into looking like when you died, right?

Qui-gon ghost will show up and say "there is another" when Luke flies off to Bespin

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Pfshaw. Lucas can do better than that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

My god, not that I disagree with his general assessment, the article reminds me just how loving awful Star Wars fans are.

When Matthew Wood says "Trust me, I read the blogs too..." I can just imagine a sad, weary man who's had to spend hundreds of hours of his life sloughing through internet messageboards, blogs, and review sites collecting every little complaint by every single angry nerd about the most minute detail, having to cross reference whether or not he should be using the 1978 mono mix sound when C3PO falls or the 1982 re-release IMAX sound. And he just knows that still, even then, none of them will be happy with the work that he's done when they yell "Why can't I just have branching options that allow me to hear the squeaky pedal on Vader's theme in the fourth scene in Empire?!" That's how I imagine everyone at Lucasfilm feels about fans.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 22, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yub Yub replaced by celebritory bug orgie.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Bombadilillo posted:

Yub Yub replaced by celebritory bug orgie.

Is it just me or did the Ewok music change from the original ROTJ to the special editions?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LLJKSiLk posted:

Is it just me or did the Ewok music change from the original ROTJ to the special editions?

Yes, they changed that. The original one was Ewokish, the new one more generic. Also later on, they went back and added Jar Jar to the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

arioch posted:

Yes, they changed that. The original one was Ewokish, the new one more generic. Also later on, they went back and added Jar Jar to the end.

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Not that it would make things that much better...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

angrylinuxgeek posted:

MAybe he made Anakin's voice deeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBRvtxNPvE&feature=related

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Not that it would make things that much better...

I've got a feeling that Imperial antialien propaganda was just a bunch of posters of and commercial freaturing Jar-Jar.

Thank would be a fun photoshop phriday.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2011

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sith Happens posted:

The vast majority of that article is very encouraging. It definitely makes it sound like the technical issues - color corrections, audio fixes, etc. - that plagued previous releases actually have been fixed for this set.

As for the "new surprises", that will be the next can of worms that we can complain about until the Super Mega Ultimate 3D Interactive Holographic™ box set is released in 2017 for the 40th anniversary of A New Hope.

I am really excited after reading the full text, but I'm one of those horrible easy to please Star Wars fans and even I had trouble with Greedo shooting first and Hayden Christensen in ROTJ. :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

angrylinuxgeek posted:

I am really excited after reading the full text, but I'm one of those horrible easy to please Star Wars fans and even I had trouble with Greedo shooting first and Hayden Christensen in ROTJ. :(

How about fixing the Force kick?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm fine with that. And fixing this:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

arioch posted:

Also later on, they went back and added Jar Jar to the end.

I still think this is an awesome "gently caress you" move on Lucas' part.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
A guy I used to work with always said "They're his films, he can do what he wants with them, stop moaning about it!". However this was back in about 2001, where George had only messed with the original trilogy once. I honestly can't understand why there's this impulse on his part to take a set of films that were almost universally regarded as superb and keep making alterations to them. I can just about understand replacing any underwhelming model shots with CGI, but I don't think there WERE any underwhelming model shots.

The best thing about the 1997 special editions was that they got a cinema release, meaning I got to see the original trilogy on the big screen. Why we had to have a comedy robot fight in Mos Eisley and Greedo shooting first instead of just a cleaned up print is entirely beyond me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doesn't Lucas have enough money and property that barring the apocalypse he is going to live in comfort until he dies? He's probably bored and likes tinkering with Star Wars rather than, idk, doing something new with himself.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
how about they make it so jedi can use the force to... move extra light sabers in mid air? Suddenly a young jedi is confronted by a sith lord with the power to control 10 lightsabers flying around in mid air!

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Systematic posted:

how about they make it so jedi can use the force to... move extra light sabers in mid air? Suddenly a young jedi is confronted by a sith lord with the power to control 10 lightsabers flying around in mid air!

Like the KOTOR 2 ending?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How about we do a Star Wars / Marvel crossover?

IGN did an article about Star Wars characters taking on some Marvel characters. Time to get your fanwank on!

http://comics.ign.com/articles/118/1187420p1.html

Darth Maul vs. Wolverine

If Adamantium can block lightsabers, this one puts Maul in a tough position. However, if it CAN'T, and there's some weapons that DO cut adamantium, that means the match becomes a lot more even.

Spider-Man vs. Luke Skywalker

This one depends on whether it's Luke with inexperienced Empire levels or full-on Master levels by the end of ROTJ. Jedi precognition can probably counter Spider-Sense. Early Luke goes down fast, but Master Luke is able to take out foes way stronger and larger with his bare hands. Webbing would be sliced to bits.

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Professor X

Both sides can predict the other's moves--Xavier reads minds, Jedi can see things before they happen. So either one making a move has already been seen. That'd be one hell of a chess match as they'd have to do things WITHOUT thinking.

Deadpool vs. Han Solo

Solo has the power of being REALLY drat LUCKY all the time. That's more powerful than most superpowers. Deadpool would probably get really bored when his 100th shot conveniently missed and go shoot Jabba instead for the bounty.

Darth Vader vs. Magneto

Magneto takes apart Vader easily UNLESS The Force can block magnetism. Which it probably can--it defies physics and gravity already. Magneto may be at a disadvantage if it comes down to physical combat.

Party on Endor!!!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 23, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I really only object to the special editions because it seems like such a desperate way of trying to modernize the movie in order to keep making money off it.

Other than that, I don't give a poo poo about the Special Editions. I'm not going to buy the blu-rays, I'm fine watching the original theatrical editions on the double dvds. It's not like I don't know all three movies inside out anyway.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I really only object to the special editions because it seems like such a desperate way of trying to modernize the movie in order to keep making money off it.

Other than that, I don't give a poo poo about the Special Editions. I'm not going to buy the blu-rays, I'm fine watching the original theatrical editions on the double dvds. It's not like I don't know all three movies inside out anyway.

You'd think if Lucas just wanted money he'd include the original cuts. I don't pretend that special-edition haters like me are a large fraction of the fanbase, but between the two of us that's two fewer blu-rays that are going to be sold. I'd be willint to bet there's enough people making that decision to dent the sales at least some. And how hard can it be to include prints that by definition don't need much tinkering?

The only reasonable explanation is that he refuses to include the originals out of pure spite. That's fine. My money will stay in my wallet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Captain von Trapp posted:

You'd think if Lucas just wanted money he'd include the original cuts. I don't pretend that special-edition haters like me are a large fraction of the fanbase, but between the two of us that's two fewer blu-rays that are going to be sold. I'd be willint to bet there's enough people making that decision to dent the sales at least some. And how hard can it be to include prints that by definition don't need much tinkering?

The only reasonable explanation is that he refuses to include the originals out of pure spite. That's fine. My money will stay in my wallet.

I honestly don't think it's spite - he GENUINELY thinks these revisions make the films better, and no-one near him seems to dare to tell him he's drawing Groucho glasses and eyebrows on the Mona Lisa*.

*Note: Hyperbole. Though I wouldn't put it past George to buy an old master and add a loving CGI Gungan to it, and some X-Wings, and more explosions. In fact I bet there's some fakes hanging in galleries around the world and Lucas has Constable's "The Haywain" with Jar Jar standing in the foreground with a speechbubble saying "YOUSA HAY FALL IN WATER?!"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's George's movie and you can like it or hate it but it is what it is. I'm going to buy it but seriously guys it looks like a huge case of nerd entitlement "boohoo he didn't do it the way I wanted!"

For all we know, the flying gungans on x-wings could be the way that star wars was meant to be made and if you're a real star wars fan you'd go to conventions in a gungan x-wing costume......which seems pretty cool so I might do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't think it's spite - he GENUINELY thinks these revisions make the films better, and no-one near him seems to dare to tell him he's drawing Groucho glasses and eyebrows on the Mona Lisa*.

Well, here's what George had to say...

George Lucas posted:

My name is George Lucas. I am a writer, director, and producer of motion pictures and Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm Ltd., a multi-faceted entertainment corporation.

I am not here today as a writer-director, or as a producer, or as the chairman of a corporation. I've come as a citizen of what I believe to be a great society that is in need of a moral anchor to help define and protect its intellectual and cultural heritage. It is not being protected.

The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. :allears: Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

:words:

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

... in 1988

Maybe we can sue George for the negatives? v:geno:v