Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Huh... well, let's just pop on over to Sarna and see what all the fuss is about this Rattler thing-

:stare: ... yeah, "mobile oppression palace" seems like an accurate description.

Yeah...compared to that thing, an Awesome is not so "awesome" is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

landcollector posted:

With mechs that heavy, you would likely run out of open crit slots long before hitting the weight limit (excepting super heavy weapons like Heavy Gauss Rifles).

Presumably, a 'mech that large would be issued extra critical slots, or maybe it would get a slot-space reduction on existing components.

Rick_Hunter posted:

When I said that, it was tongue in cheek reference to the Lyran Alliance's preference for slow, heavy assault mechs designed to out last their opponents.

Little did I realize there are actually 'mobile oppression palaces' in canon. Fun to read about, impracticalawesome for gameLet's Play.

Fixed that for you. :)

W.T. Fits posted:

Huh... well, let's just pop on over to Sarna and see what all the fuss is about this Rattler thing-

:stare: ... yeah, "mobile oppression palace" seems like an accurate description.

I love how they put an Awesome in there for comparison, and it looks puny.

PTN, please, please, please tell me we're going to have scenarios with these monstrosities in them. Hell, this isn't something that Elementals "swarm", this is something Elementals "board". How freaking awesome is that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I played BT for a while when I was younger, but after I quit I remember someone saying something about FASA releasing rules for super-heavy mechs. I think that they went up to 200 tons or some game-breakingly absurd number.

There's always the infamous Ares, AKA that retarded tripod mech.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

There's always the infamous Ares, AKA that retarded tripod mech.

Wasn't that the work of Wizkids though?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah. FASA never released rules for 100+ ton mechs, that was WizKids. They DID have rules for vehicles, specifically boats, that went up to 200 tons, though. The thing is, engines in those STILL only went up to 400, so the fastest you could go was 2/3.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That thing has 20 machineguns. Those builders knew what they were doing, I guess.

While it does look neat, it sounds like a nightmare to have and steer in an actual game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

W.T. Fits posted:

Haha, that looks exactly as the drawings I would do at age 13, with tanks that just grew bigger and bigger as I added more tracks and dozens upon dozens of turrets. It makes sense. If you are 13.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

lilljonas posted:

Haha, that looks exactly as the drawings I would do at age 13, with tanks that just grew bigger and bigger as I added more tracks and dozens upon dozens of turrets. It makes sense. If you are 13.

13 years old, or Hitler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

Zack Parson did a great bit on it in his WWII book, the most important thing being that even if you managed to create a suspension / wheels / tracks that could handle the weight of the vehicle, the ground itself couldn't and you'd never be able to get it to the action.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

13 years old, or Hitler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

Zack Parson did a great bit on it in his WWII book, the most important thing being that even if you managed to create a suspension / wheels / tracks that could handle the weight of the vehicle, the ground itself couldn't and you'd never be able to get it to the action.

Obviously the Rattler would only be deployed on Ferrocrete which is tougher than the wimpy surface of the Earth. :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Angry_Ed posted:

Obviously the Rattler would only be deployed on Ferrocrete which is tougher than the wimpy surface of the Earth. :pseudo:

Walking battlemechs regularly crack / pothole / leave giant footprints in Ferrocrete. The stuff has to be over a foot thick to support an assault-weight 'Mech without more than superficial surface damage.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Walking battlemechs regularly crack / pothole / leave giant footprints in Ferrocrete. The stuff has to be over a foot thick to support an assault-weight 'Mech without more than superficial surface damage.

In which case we must clearly build an entire raised highway of ferrocrete hundreds of feet thick with which to deploy the Rattler on :pseudo:

At this point I'm just trying to imagine how Catalyst could justify something so huge being able to exist and function other than "1980s in space" :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think I'm going with D.

SynthOrange posted:

We got redactamentals all up our redactholes.
I don't understand what part of that you don't find awesome.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The most hilarious victory in Solaris VII's grand championship (gigantic loving brawl) is to bring the smallest, fastest Light 'mech you can loaded down with NARC beacons.
Try it with artillery beacons instead. You will be amused.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I played BT for a while when I was younger, but after I quit I remember someone saying something about FASA releasing rules for super-heavy mechs. I think that they went up to 200 tons or some game-breakingly absurd number.
Those were never official until Wizkids raped the setting. They are, sadly, due for a comeback now though because Catalyst are tied into that bullshit future.

lilljonas posted:

Or if you designed Soviet tanks in WWII.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, looking at the Jihad stuff and especially the Dark Ages stuff, I can't help but wonder if it isn't time to do a Gundam style reboot on the Battletech universe. Keep the 'mechs and some of the basic structures and start over from scratch otherwise.

It just seems like after 30 something years, the Battletech is too bogged down to be anything than a tiny niche game, and I think the setting deserves better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

You know, looking at the Jihad stuff and especially the Dark Ages stuff, I can't help but wonder if it isn't time to do a Gundam style reboot on the Battletech universe. Keep the 'mechs and some of the basic structures and start over from scratch otherwise.

It just seems like after 30 something years, the Battletech is too bogged down to be anything than a tiny niche game, and I think the setting deserves better.

Yeah it does suck that the new Mechwarrior game appears to be slipping away into vapourware.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it does suck that the new Mechwarrior game appears to be slipping away into vapourware.

Agreed. All I have to say about it is this:

HARMONY GOOOLLLDDD!!! :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Start over, actually give some depth and definition to everyone, including the FWL, probably keep the Clan invasion at some point later on, etc.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

jng2058 posted:

And then they'll keep doing it every other year and all of them will be terrible.

Except the one that inexplicably throws all of the usual themes out and introduces magic Kung Fu robot fighting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

And then they'll keep doing it every other year and all of them will be terrible.

Except the one that inexplicably throws all of the usual themes out and introduces magic Kung Fu robot fighting.

The Steiner House Rules: The Series. Ends with Ceaser Steiner dropping an elbow on the ilKhan from orbit.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 22, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Alchenar posted:

Rumour has it that the delay is because Pirahna got hired to do the multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

landcollector posted:

Agreed. All I have to say about it is this:

HARMONY GOOOLLLDDD!!! :argh:

Now now, let's not be too harsh on Harmony Gold. They're just being a typical company, protecting their assets...

*snerk* Sorry, I can't say that with a straight face. They're being petulant jackasses hoarding everything they possibly can, screaming "Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!," even when what they're hoarding is trash to them but beloved of others, and it's not making them any money.

What I don't get is why didn't S&T just go to Harmony Gold and offer to outright buy the Unseen, or at least license them.

I mean, the Warhammer is an iconic 'mech, and it's also iconic of the Unseen, right along with the Marauder. Did they think they had the appropriate license to use it and Harmony Gold shouted "Attourney!" or something?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I mean, the Warhammer is an iconic 'mech, and it's also iconic of the Unseen, right along with the Marauder. Did they think they had the appropriate license to use it and Harmony Gold shouted "Attourney!" or something?

Pretty much, they thought they had everything lined up properly but it turned out they didn't. Then again the licensing around Macross/Robotech rights is so convoluted I can't really blame them for screwing up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Rumour has it that the delay is because Pirahna got hired to do the multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever.

Oh that makes sense in a good way. I mean I heard DNF was poo poo, but nobody was complaining about it being poo poo because of the multiplayer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyways, I have some bad news, thread. I was let go from my job today; quite unexpectedly. I'll spare you the details, but that does mean I need to devote a lot of energy to finding a new job.

I know you understand, and it's my hope that this will cause minimal disruption to the thread. I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Try it with artillery beacons instead. You will be amused.

Bwahahahahaaah!

I guess that Solaris VII has very liberal weapons-control laws that permit for you to deploy an artillery brigade within city limits.

quote:

Those were never official until Wizkids raped the setting. They are, sadly, due for a comeback now though because Catalyst are tied into that bullshit future.

This is going to be heretical, but... I actually kind of like the idea of superheavy 'mechs.

Angry_Ed posted:

The Steiner House Rules: The Series. Ends with Ceaser Steiner dropping an elbow on the ilKhan from orbit.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty much, they thought they had everything lined up properly but it turned out they didn't. Then again the licensing around Macross/Robotech rights is so convoluted I can't really blame them for screwing up.

:smith: That figures. Hell, for all we know, they do have the proper rights... For Japan. Maybe they'll release it in Japan and then look the other way when it gets imported back into the states en masse and let Harmony Gold spend their time tracking down the importers?

More likely, Piranha simply is busy (or rather, was busy,) on DNF, and they're getting things sorted out behind the scenes.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Oh that makes sense in a good way. I mean I heard DNF was poo poo, but nobody was complaining about it being poo poo because of the multiplayer.

DNF isn't poo poo, it's just not all that it could be. It's an okay game, but the oppressive linearity is a bit grating.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anyways, I have some bad news, thread. I was let go from my job today; quite unexpectedly. I'll spare you the details, but that does mean I need to devote a lot of energy to finding a new job.

Oh, wow. That's awful. Sorry to hear that, Poptarts. Good luck in the job search.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know you understand, and it's my hope that this will cause minimal disruption to the thread. I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

That seriously sucks. Good luck in the job search and if you have to take time off from the thread to find one don't worry about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't worry about this thread. Focus on real life, and I wish you the best of luck.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, I do understand. Best of luck getting a new position with minimal fuss.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, that's unpleasant to hear. I wish you the best of luck in your job search. Like others have said, take time off from the thread if you have to; we are patient, we can wait.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, I do understand. Best of luck getting a new position with minimal fuss.

I'm fortunate, I have a couple of strong leads and a solid resume. With any luck, this shouldn't be an ordeal--I'd just prefer not to go crawling back to Wal*Mart if I can help it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Craaaap.

Hope you find something soon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Been there, man. It sucks, but things get better if you ride it out. Do what you have to, we'll still be here debating MRMs vs LRMs or some such nonsense when you get back.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is awful.

I don't know how much time you have to devote to running this thread every day, but seeing as we're conveniently between battles, maybe it's best to finish the current vote and then lock the thread until you get your real-life stuff sorted out?

We love you, but the internet has to take a backseat in such situations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

I actually quit my job (over legal issues, cases pending blah blah blah) and am currently enjoying catching up on this, a few other threads and painting the full batallion of stuff I aquired over the last few months. drat you universe!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is terrible.

Good luck on finding another job and don't be afraid to drop some good news when you've got it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah gently caress. Sorry man.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It happens.

There's nothing I would've (or could've) done differently. It's just the first time I've ever been fired, and the news kinda hits you like a point-blank heavy gauss.

... But I will say I have no intention of shutting down this thread. I can spare two hours (approximately) a day to something I enjoy. The next scenarios may be a bit simpler than the previous ones, but that may not be a bad thing either.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

It happens.

There's nothing I would've (or could've) done differently. It's just the first time I've ever been fired, and the news kinda hits you like a point-blank heavy gauss.

... But I will say I have no intention of shutting down this thread. I can spare two hours (approximately) a day to something I enjoy. The next scenarios may be a bit simpler than the previous ones, but that may not be a bad thing either.

From experience with my own job search, it is not time in a day that you may lack, it is energy. Job hunting takes far more of the latter than the former. Best of luck.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It happens.

If Real Life worked like we all wish it did, you could have declared a Trial of Grievance against your boss and whipped his rear end to retain your job. Do you want to tell us what happened? It sounds like you got the bum's rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

The next scenarios may be a bit simpler than the previous ones, but that may not be a bad thing either.

...Maybe that situation would lend itself to a series of simple, short Solaris matches, hint hint?

...No?

...Sorry. I hope you recover emotionally from this. :(

• Locked thread