Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Alexandrite has three main points for quality.
1) Strength of color change (Fully green to fully bright purple)
2) Quality of the material (eyeclean, brilliant)
3) Quality of the faceting

A perfect piece of natural Alexandrite in a 1.0+ carat size will cost $4,000-$5,000.

Synthetic Alexandrite is plentiful, but doesn't quite capture the beauty of the natural material. But it only costs 10% of the natural!

Look for a piece that is BRIGHT. In gemstones the best material is vibrantly colorful and shiny and bright.

You can also find an identical color change in some types of Garnet. Be careful when shopping as many of jewelers can't tell the difference and they'll accidentally sell you a garnet or a synthetic. Barron's had an article recently about a collector that received a synthetic when she thought she was buying a natural piece. Both her jeweler and a gem lab were fooled by the stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Alright Goons. I proposed to my fiancé a little while ago. I got him a watch, he said yes. Then a few days later we ordered my ring. I wanted a moissanite. So I researched, and saw tons of good reviews for moissaniteco.com and a handful of bad, but figured, every business has a few bad experiences.

What's the deal on enhancement? The ring I ordered was a 5.5 cushion, which is equivalent to 0.85ct. I was reading that over 1ct you should enhance.

A friend of mine is telling me that enhancing will void the warranty. Well if we go through the company, why would that void it? I'm afraid she's going through betterthandiamonds or whatever. And now I'm worried because she said that only one retailer holds the patent for moissanite. Now I'm worried we're getting robbed, because it (could) a fake.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 15, 2011

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Moissanite is made by the one company that holds the patent on the material. There are some differences in the quality that they put out, and seemingly some variation in cut quality, but you'll be ok with the gear from Moissanite Co. I wouldn't recommend paying extra for the enhancement.

If I remember correctly, BetterThanDiamond is a Cubic Zirconia coated with a thin layer of synthetic diamond. That coating would add zero benefit.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

Moissanite is made by the one company that holds the patent on the material. There are some differences in the quality that they put out, and seemingly some variation in cut quality, but you'll be ok with the gear from Moissanite Co. I wouldn't recommend paying extra for the enhancement.

If I remember correctly, BetterThanDiamond is a Cubic Zirconia coated with a thin layer of synthetic diamond. That coating would add zero benefit.

That's what I was reading. That BTD won't read as a diamond. But Moissy will. I found on BTD message board that someone questioning and MoissyCo rep chimed in and set everything right.

I feel tons better now!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Moissanite isn't diamond. It isn't anything close. It's a simulant. Meaning it "looks like diamond." And in most cases it does.

When you say "tests like diamond" that refers to a single test designed around measuring thermal conductivity. Lots of things will fool that test. So don't rely on it as a sign of quality.

Edit: I'm sure your ring is going to be A-OK.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
They say that moissanite also has a slightly brown or grey hue to it, but I haven't noticed it in my fiance's ring.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I'm currently tackling the subject of florists. I have *plenty* of time to figure things out, so I'm not flipping out (yet). Right now I'm trying to figure out the budget.

Right now, I'm using 13 guest tables and one long head table (for eight people) for my estimates. I have three bridemaids. I'm not doing ceremony flowers, or at least not that I think yet. If I do, I can probably just finagle centerpieces to be for the ceremony too (the ceremony and reception are in the same location). No cake flowers. The one quote I've gotten so far includes calla lilies in everything, roses in bouquets, dahlias in bouquets, and tree branches in the centerpieces.

How much people tend to spend on flowers (for approximately the same size as what I'm got)? I know it's extremely variable, but I have no frame of reference for the quote I do have (and future quotes, which I'm dreading getting because it all seems like a royal pain). I thought about getting flowers wholesale to do the centerpieces myself but (a) I'm extremely paranoid and would be afraid they wouldn't have the flowers I want at the market, and (b) I don't know if any of my friends/family will be able to help out with that since nearly everyone is flying in.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
So, I don't like flowers. When people start talking to me about flowers, my eyes glaze over and I stop paying attention. I can identify about ten flowers and that's it. How dumb would I look for having a bouquet of baby's breath and Queen Anne's lace, as well as just decorating with them? I know they are filler and technically weeds, but I like the lacy idea of them, and it would match my dress, which is lacy. I assume they would be cheaper than regular flowers, and easy to put together if I did them myself. I got the idea from a Martha Stewart Weddings issue from a couple months ago and can't get it out of my mind.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I don't know if you are looking for elaborate arrangements or even if you are open to silk flowers, but I've done flowers for four weddings now, my own included and I received mounds of compliments on all four. I'm in no way a professional but I kept it simple. For mine and two others I bought silk/velvety roses and stephanotis in lots on ebay that were nothing like the stuff they have in the craft stores. They were so realistic. I was able to make all of the arrangements and bouquets when I had time, weeks before and didn't feel rushed for any of it. For the last wedding I did I used real gerbera daisies in different colors that we ordered from Costco. They arrived the day before and we only lost maybe 8 stems out of 100 flowers. We did hand tied bouquets and really simple arrangements in vases that were gorgeous. Just a thought, I hated the thought of using a florist that didn't know what I had in my head and I would have to pay tons of money for something I could do myself Just a couple ideas in case it was something you might be interested in.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Anya posted:

So, I don't like flowers. When people start talking to me about flowers, my eyes glaze over and I stop paying attention. I can identify about ten flowers and that's it. How dumb would I look for having a bouquet of baby's breath and Queen Anne's lace, as well as just decorating with them? I know they are filler and technically weeds, but I like the lacy idea of them, and it would match my dress, which is lacy. I assume they would be cheaper than regular flowers, and easy to put together if I did them myself. I got the idea from a Martha Stewart Weddings issue from a couple months ago and can't get it out of my mind.

I just googled "baby's breath bouquet" and actually the results were very pretty. I think they looked really nice as centrepieces too. There was a bride's bouquet as well that was just baby's breath with three white roses in the centre, I thought that was a neat touch. Definitely looks like something that can be executed quite nicely, I say go for it if that's what you want! Maybe do some google image searches as well for inspiration/reassurance. :)

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
So getting ready to send out save the dates... FML. 235 people on the list but only room for 200 or so...

Should I invite all 235? Its way up in MN and Many of the guests are from Arkansas, North Carolina, and New York so I expect quite a few not to come.

Edit: Just looked only 92 are from the same state.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MasterColin posted:

So getting ready to send out save the dates... FML. 235 people on the list but only room for 200 or so...

Should I invite all 235? Its way up in MN and Many of the guests are from Arkansas, North Carolina, and New York so I expect quite a few not to come.

Edit: Just looked only 92 are from the same state.
Invite all 235. It is unlikely you will have issues.

Are there some that are invited +1 that you know are single?

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

justFaye posted:

I'm currently tackling the subject of florists. I have *plenty* of time to figure things out, so I'm not flipping out (yet). Right now I'm trying to figure out the budget.

Right now, I'm using 13 guest tables and one long head table (for eight people) for my estimates. I have three bridemaids. I'm not doing ceremony flowers, or at least not that I think yet. If I do, I can probably just finagle centerpieces to be for the ceremony too (the ceremony and reception are in the same location). No cake flowers. The one quote I've gotten so far includes calla lilies in everything, roses in bouquets, dahlias in bouquets, and tree branches in the centerpieces.

How much people tend to spend on flowers (for approximately the same size as what I'm got)? I know it's extremely variable, but I have no frame of reference for the quote I do have (and future quotes, which I'm dreading getting because it all seems like a royal pain). I thought about getting flowers wholesale to do the centerpieces myself but (a) I'm extremely paranoid and would be afraid they wouldn't have the flowers I want at the market, and (b) I don't know if any of my friends/family will be able to help out with that since nearly everyone is flying in.
wow, you're way fancier than me with flowers! Last year I bought about 350 or so bucks worth of flowers from the bulk floral dept at Sam's and got shittons of white roses (125 stems for $86/87 per lot (3), =375 blooms),an order of white carnations (100 for,like, $50? maybe less then) and white hydrangeas(?$40/$50 for 20). They were more than enough for my tables and bouquet. Fuckloads, really, as I was expecting at least a few to break in shipping, but only one stem broke and that was my fault. I think I snapped a carnation. *doh* They have lilies and sorts of stuff. I was on a shoestring budget and Jaysus, it helped to NOT pay tons to a florist and just do the bouquets with my friends. We added peacock feathers for color, used clear and cut-glass vases and the arrangements turned out great! The roses were big fat things and they lasted for days after. It's funny, as I really didn't have any use for Sam's Club other than that, but I'd go discount again like that in a heartbeat. I couldn't have afforded that much from the florist shop. I kept it simple and kept the arrangements in simple groups, I don't think I mixed more than the flowers in my own bouquet. some in the aisle bouquets, and a leftover vase or two?Meh, loved the flowers however they were. Flickr link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47490793@N05/4955757306/in/photostream

obviously I fucked it fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 19, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So, my Fiance and I were thinking about going to Hawaii to get married (we live in NYC). I'm not talking about taking a couple people or anything, just the two of us.

Does anyone have recommendations as to where to stay? or heck, which island to start on? We tend to like to go out and do stuff during the day, but would want something that's relaxing and not crazy crowded or overtly filled with obnoxious children.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Maui.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Noooo don't go to Maui! Go to Oahu! It's the best island!

Kingnothing posted:

So, my Fiance and I were thinking about going to Hawaii to get married (we live in NYC). I'm not talking about taking a couple people or anything, just the two of us.

Does anyone have recommendations as to where to stay? or heck, which island to start on? We tend to like to go out and do stuff during the day, but would want something that's relaxing and not crazy crowded or overtly filled with obnoxious children.

Stay on the North Shore of Oahu. The Turtle Bay Hilton has some really nice little villas/bungalows and the North Shore isn't nasty and urbanized and crowded as gently caress like Honolulu. It's very green and is more rural and the beaches are MUCH MUCH nicer and less crowded than the south side. It's nice too because at the Turtle Bay you're within 15 minutes of Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Waiamea Bay, Pipeline, etc. I used to live on Oahu and know the island really really well, if you want more info feel free to PM me or email me at ---

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 9, 2015

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
I would recommend Maui if you like to snorkel/kayak/golf and whatnot or Kauai if you just want to take in the beautiful sights and relax.

Or...you could stay on multiple islands depending on how long you want to honeymoon!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Thank you! I've been thinking about just doing them on my own instead of using a florist. I've got a small bridal party and I don't want huge amounts of flowers for them, so in the end, I think just DYI'ing it will be the best. Thanks for the confidence booster and the ideas.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thanks everyone for the answers! I would love any information anyone can give, there can never be too much research done!

Island hopping would be great, but money is incredibly tight as it is so it probably is not an option.

Triangulum posted:

Noooo don't go to Maui! Go to Oahu! It's the best island!

Stay on the North Shore of Oahu. The Turtle Bay Hilton has some really nice little villas/bungalows and the North Shore isn't nasty and urbanized and crowded as gently caress like Honolulu. It's very green and is more rural and the beaches are MUCH MUCH nicer and less crowded than the south side. It's nice too because at the Turtle Bay you're within 15 minutes of Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Waiamea Bay, Pipeline, etc. I used to live on Oahu and know the island really really well, if you want more info feel free to PM me or email me at 7riangulum at gmail dot com
Is this the place?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60651-d87158-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Resort-Kahuku_Oahu_Hawaii.html
It seems like what I would be looking for, but is there a lot to do around there? We like to be active (not like sports adventure active, but like walking around a town, doing little activities, etc), so is there anything around there?

Also, what is the weather like there in January? is it worth even going during that time? We're both students so we can't really go during the year, and summer at that resort is 100% booked for the type of room we would want. I do love the idea of a cottage on the actual beach though. That's pretty ideal.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 20, 2011

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
My wedding is about 5 weeks out, and we are looking into getting our wedding bands. The jewelry store that sold my fiance my wedding ring has beautiful bands for about $600. I was checking Amazon today and they have practically the same bands for about $150.

I am curious if anyone has purchased their bands off Amazon and has any feedback about them. I am a little nervous about purchasing them online, but it is so so so much cheaper! We don't really have the money to spend $600 on our rings.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kingnothing posted:

Thanks everyone for the answers! I would love any information anyone can give, there can never be too much research done!

Island hopping would be great, but money is incredibly tight as it is so it probably is not an option.

Is this the place?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60651-d87158-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Resort-Kahuku_Oahu_Hawaii.html
It seems like what I would be looking for, but is there a lot to do around there? We like to be active (not like sports adventure active, but like walking around a town, doing little activities, etc), so is there anything around there?

Also, what is the weather like there in January? is it worth even going during that time? We're both students so we can't really go during the year, and summer at that resort is 100% booked for the type of room we would want. I do love the idea of a cottage on the actual beach though. That's pretty ideal.

Yes that's the place. The condos and cottages are much nicer than the hotel itself (which honestly is a bit rundown). There are a lot of things to do in the area, the hotel itself has horses and a golf course, there is tons of surfing, diving, and snorkeling within 30 min of the resort, and you can do poo poo like parasailing, kite surfing, paddleboarding, shark cage dives, whale watching, etc down in Haleiwa. There's also some excellent hiking in the area. Haleiwa is about 20 min from Kahuku (Haleiwa is a nice little town with really excellent food, I can email you restaurant recommendations if you like as well as other things you should check out).

January is the rainy season but it is ABSOLUTELY worth going. I go every year for Xmas and New Years, and while it does rain just about every day, it very rarely rains ALL day. Also summer in Hawaii sucks dick. It's so loving hot and humid and the entire island is crawling with Japanese tourists with terrible manners. One thing to be aware of though: The North Shore of Oahu has some of the biggest waves in the entire world during the winter. This is really cool to watch but unless you are an incredibly strong swimmer who is very familiar with big waves, this is going to limit where you can swim (depending on the surf of course). Please, don't underestimate the surf here. It can and will kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Please heed all the high surf warning and "no swimming signs". But don't let this discourage you! There are always nice beaches open for swimming evenduring the high surf advisories. My favorite beaches are Sunset Beach, Laniakea(go here to see wild sea turtles and monk seals), Freddy's, Three Tables (loving AMAZING SNORKELING HOLY poo poo), and Alligator Rock (a good beach if the surf is too high to go elsewhere).

I really, really love the North Shore. It's a fantastic, incredibly chill, beautiful place and I have every intention of moving back someday.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 22, 2011

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Ambellina posted:

My wedding is about 5 weeks out, and we are looking into getting our wedding bands. The jewelry store that sold my fiance my wedding ring has beautiful bands for about $600. I was checking Amazon today and they have practically the same bands for about $150.

I am curious if anyone has purchased their bands off Amazon and has any feedback about them. I am a little nervous about purchasing them online, but it is so so so much cheaper! We don't really have the money to spend $600 on our rings.

For basic bands without stones in them I don't think you have much to worry about buying them online from a vendor with good reviews. Some jewelry stores do offer some additional services (such as replating for white gold rings) with the purchase price, which might make it more worthwhile for you to pay more to get it locally, depending on how long you plan to be near that store.

We bought both my engagement ring and our wedding bands online, though not through Amazon. The only real drawback we've encountered is that we wound up taking both of my rings to be resized at local places because it was not worth it to send them back (even though both vendors would have resized for free if we had sent them back). The rings being the wrong size in the first place was actually caused by a local jewelry store doing a poor job sizing me, not by mistakes on the part of the online vendors.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I know this is probably dorky as poo poo but I think its adorable that my fiance chose titanium for our rings because I have a lot of piercings and he knows it's the only metal I'll wear in them and he wanted them to match :3: :3:

Question: (cross posted to the fashion megathread, sorry if you have to read this twice):
Ladies I need help, like bad.

I'm getting married sometime in the next month (at the city courthouse, not like a big wedding) or two and I refuse to wear a dress. Other ladies look nice in dresses, but it really ain't my style and I feel uncomfortable as poo poo in them. The boyfriend's wearing a dark grey suit, and a blue shirt and tie so I'm thinking I'll wear some nice slim/skinny cut grey slacks and I found these loving amazing shoes:
http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7841455/323

But what to wear on top???? Do the same thing the bf's doin' and wear a dress shirt and tie? Something else? AAaaaa I'm kinda at a loss here. I suck at dressing formally. I was thinking a velvet blazer maybe??

Besides the shoes + slacks, I found some 1/2" blue glass striped plugs that match the BF's tie almost exactly, and I'm gonna dye my mohawk to match my shoes lol

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
For tops, I would go for something like this in white or cream:

whitehouseblackmarket.com

Or something with a drape neck. Button up blouses seem more business-like, ties on women just remind me of waitstaff. Silk/satin tops, even blends, with a drape or ruffle seem more dressy-formal.

Under a matching gray suit jacket of the same material/color your slacks are. If you go with a different color jacket try to match it to your shoes.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

PopRocks posted:

For tops, I would go for something like this in white or cream:

whitehouseblackmarket.com

Or something with a drape neck. Button up blouses seem more business-like, ties on women just remind me of waitstaff. Silk/satin tops, even blends, with a drape or ruffle seem more dressy-formal.

Under a matching gray suit jacket of the same material/color your slacks are. If you go with a different color jacket try to match it to your shoes.

See there's where the issue is, stuff like what you posted is way too frilly and girly for me. I'm a major tomboy and honestly, I feel really weird in ruffles and poo poo. I did find some high necked shirts with sort of a ribbon tie/bow thing around the neck (I'm sorry, I have no idea what this is called) but the nice looking ones are stupid expensive. $500 for a shirt? Yeah I'm sure lol.
For the record this is me:

I feel like overly frilly stuff would be really incongruous with the rest of my appearance if that makes sense? regardless, thanks for the input :)

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 22, 2011

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
This section on Offbeat Bride has lots of cool suggestions for non-wedding dress dresses: http://offbeatbride.com/filed/advice/fashion-advice/

But just wear whatever makes YOU feel the sexiest/prettiest/most confident. Who cares if it's "bridal"?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Eris posted:

This section on Offbeat Bride has lots of cool suggestions for non-wedding dress dresses: http://offbeatbride.com/filed/advice/fashion-advice/

But just wear whatever makes YOU feel the sexiest/prettiest/most confident. Who cares if it's "bridal"?

Man I'm retarded, I didn't even think of looking there :saddowns:

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
Ok so really need help on Father/daughter dance song. We are not the type that wants to get all weepy, we want a fun song.

Because I grew up listening to it with him we both love Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Santana, AC/DC etc good bands. What would be a good suggestion that is more in the lines of this? The first song my dad every taught me when I was two was Dirty Deeds, but this doesn't seem appropriate haha. We just want to have a good time dancing together as we are silly people.

TIA!

I have already been on off beat bride.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Led Zeppelin "Thank You"

It might be weepy, but in a good way. It's pretty long so you'll probably have to have the MC introduce the father daughter dance during the intro. Or incorperate the mother-son dance and also dance with his dad and have him dance with your mom, make it a big parental appreciation dance.

Russes Sister
May 27, 2007
Not her brother's keeper.
Newly engaged bride checking in! I've lurked in this thread for a while, and now I'm thrilled to actually be planning a wedding.

My boyfriend FIANCE and I have been dating for 4.5 years (living together for the last 1.5) and so we've been talking about getting married for a while. I've gotten a lot more serious in our discussions in the past few months, but every time I brought it up my fiance would kind of give me the brush-off. This, of course, led to me getting more and more anxious in our discussions, because I thought he wasn't serious about getting married.

Lo and behold, he designed and ordered a ring in May and was just waiting for it to come in to the store. We had both just gotten home from work and were standing around talking in the backyard, and he got down on one knee and pulls out the ring. My first reaction was "are you serious?!" and my second was "yes, yes of course!"

Obligatory ring picture:

I didn't want a)a big stone or b)a diamond at all, really, but I love this. It's taken a while to get used to it, but the pink sapphires are perfect, and I love that my fiance designed it himself.

Now...on to wedding planning!

Closet Nerd posted:

Ok so really need help on Father/daughter dance song. We are not the type that wants to get all weepy, we want a fun song.

My dad and I are also not very sentimental people, but he's already chosen "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills, & Nash. It's a little bit cheesy, but it also has a very good message. (Parents teaching their children, then the children teaching their parents.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, 10 weeks away, so much poo poo to do. Holy poo poo I'm going to be married in 10 weeks. We have so much stuff to do that we don't even know what we need to do.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone have any stories of how they proposed/were proposed to? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to pop the question to my girlfriend.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
One of my favorites, from page 119 of this thread

The Human Cow posted:

I finally proposed to my girlfriend! We'd been talking about getting engaged for almost a year, so I wanted to do something that she'd never see coming to try to squeeze a little bit of surprise out of it. Ever since we met, we've both always wanted to go skydiving, so I called a place a few hours away, made an appointment for the weekend after our 5 year dating anniversary, and started getting things together. Two days later, my girlfriend came home from work to tell me that she had to work on the Sunday after I had made my reservations. She works at a credit union, and this is literally the only time she's ever had to go into work on a weekend. I ended up getting in touch with her boss and getting somebody else to take over for her, which was awesome.

So, the anniversary rolled around. She had picked out a couple purses that she wanted as a gift, so I wrapped those up - but first, I filled them with pieces of a jigsaw puzzle I had made. Tuesday morning, she opened her purses and also pulled out a big foamcore frame. She was completely confused until she unzipped a purse, and then the rest of the pieces were emptied out as well. The puzzle assembled to form a poem I had written, where each line corresponded to a clue you could only answer at Waterfront Park, where we went on our first date. After dinner that night, we walked down, she solved the clues, and got a phone number out of it.

When she called the phone number, which I had registered with Google Voice, she got a computerized voice reading a series of numbers. It was a simple A=1, B=2 substitution, but she didn't figure it out until the next morning at work. Once she solved that, she got a URL - [myname]and[hername].net, which displayed a big countdown. Apparently, the entire office was gathered around her computer counting down out loud for the last 10 seconds, after which it redirected to a page consisting of a form with some blanks highlighted, and a "play" button which played a few seconds from a bunch of songs I had put on mix CDs over the years. When she wrote down the artists of the songs, the highlighted blanks spelled the name of a restaurant and a time, which is where I was waiting. The next clue was a cipher in a greeting card that was sitting under her menu.

She actually ended up solving the cipher that night, which was pretty impressive since she's not all that great at word games. I had arranged for flowers to be delivered that next day to her work with the key to the cipher on it. By this time, the rest of her coworkers were going insane. The cipher was another poem, this time telling her to go look in her trunk. I had hidden a horribly ugly golden treasure chest that I found at Big Lots with a big padlock on the front of it, and no other clues. She was extremely frustrated when she got home from work, but that night we went to a beer dinner, and I had arranged for the waitress to bring out a separate bill folder with the key in it for her. Inside the trunk were hotel reservations, the skydiving reservations, and a couple parachuting army men with our initials on them. She was excited and disappointed at the same time, since everybody had been telling her that this had to be the proposal and that I couldn't be building all of this up without that being it, etc. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

We drove out to the drop zone, and I had been monitoring the weather all week because I was sure it would storm. Friday afternoon, it called for a 70% chance of thunderstorms, but when we woke up on Saturday it was just cloudy. We were on a weather hold all day because it was apparently too cloudy, until around 3:30 that afternoon. They had the ring waiting back on the ground for me, and while the videographer was interviewing her after the jump I snuck around behind her, got on one knee, and proposed. She said yes, and didn't see it coming at all after the rush of the skydive. Success!

Now, we have to figure out how not to be so ridiculously overwhelmed by everything that we have to plan. There are just an insane amount of decisions to make...

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 23, 2011

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

PopRocks posted:

One of my favorites, from page 119 of this thread

Holy CRAP. Tempted to send that to my boyfriend and tell him that this is what he has to contend with (since I read this thread all the time and now have expectations of an awesome proposal).

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Susical posted:

Holy CRAP. Tempted to send that to my boyfriend and tell him that this is what he has to contend with (since I read this thread all the time and now have expectations of an awesome proposal).

Please don't do this :( That IS an amazing proposal but doing that will probably make him feel bad and super pressured to outdo that poster.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Triangulum posted:

Please don't do this :( That IS an amazing proposal but doing that will probably make him feel bad and super pressured to outdo that poster.

lol we've only been dating 2 years, and we are not getting married any time soon.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Susical posted:

lol we've only been dating 2 years, and we are not getting married any time soon.

Still that's kind of a dick move.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Triangulum posted:

Still that's kind of a dick move.

(I'm not actually doing it)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Susical posted:

(I'm not actually doing it)

Good! "cause if you are you might as well tell him exactly how much he needs to spend on your future ring as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I'm going to model mine after it and never tell her where I got the idea!