Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tolain posted:

Lack of a dedicated grenade button is hard to go back to, too.

A thousand times this. I don't know what game to thank for it (Halo?) but a dedicated throw grenade button is one of the best modern FPS gameplay enhancements.

Tolain posted:

quake 2: Never played this at launch, sadly this has not aged nearly as well. The starting blaster is horrible, enemy ai is stupid as gently caress, stage design is awful (a hell of a million switches, bad platforming, and backtracking), and weapons are underwhelming and boring, especially since enemies are total bullet sponges.

You didn't think the enemies in Quake were bullet sponges? Those goddamn knights that are everywhere take 5+ super shotgun blasts, the beasts 4+, and everything else is just as tough. It gets really annoying really fast.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You really don't want to play the Quake 2 expansions. Unless your goal is to witness horrible enemy design and horrible maps, stay away.

Yeah I thought I was near the end of Quake 2: The Reckoning but it turns out I was only to the Moon Base which sounds cool but it's just more of the same but now every room is filled with those laser grunts. Yes I loving love enemies with weapons that fire on you as soon as any pixels enter their line of sight, drain your health ultra fast, and are impossible to dodge. Every room just drains your life so goddamn fast it's obnoxious.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any good map packs for Quake 1? That was some of the most fun I ever had with an FPS, but I don't want to go back and play the same levels another time. Is there anything that's just like the original maps, but more of it?

Play Scourge of Armagon. Don't play Dissolution of Eternity.

And yeah Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil is a really good expansion. Definitely play that. And for the record I still really like Half-Life and HL2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

A thousand times this. I don't know what game to thank for it (Halo?) but a dedicated throw grenade button is one of the best modern FPS gameplay enhancements.
I think Quakeworld Team Fortress was first with an offhand grenade key instead of grenades as dedicated weapons. Though it just kind of flew out of your face instead of having a nice animation like Halo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember at the time I didn't understand how modems or connecting to others worked, so one day I was like, I'LL HOST A GAME. Gave someone the phone number, not knowing anything about ip addresses. He phoned my house with his modem, my parents got a call at 2am from some screechy system.

That wasn't a good day, haha.

I didn't get much multiplayer in back than which might explain why I don't really care for it as an adult. I played with bots most of the time in Quake. Never really getting into MP until I had DSL in 97 and just playing Starcraft.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any good map packs for Quake 1? That was some of the most fun I ever had with an FPS, but I don't want to go back and play the same levels another time. Is there anything that's just like the original maps, but more of it?

There are metric tons of them.

http://haukerehfeld.de/projects/quakeinjector/ covers those that are pretty close to vanilla-Quake. There are also many good ones that use some sort of gameplay mod.

For many recent maps you may need to use a more recent Quake engine. See my other posts in this thread for recommendations.

I don't think I'll get into typing up lots of specific map recommendations right now, but FWIW I'm enjoying the "Arcanum" mini-episode. Although I hear it has a save/load bug in later maps.

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60527 has a download link for Arcanum, and a discussion of how to work around the bug in post #230.

The Quake screenshots on my Steam profile include several from the first few maps of Arcanum, among others: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshot/595820175237906683?tab=public&filter=app_2310

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yesterday I started They Flesh Consumed for the first time, and holy crap I can finally understand all the :suicide: reactions that the mere mention of E4M2 seems to induce. But beating that level on Ultra-Violence is definitely the most badass I've felt playing a game in a while. I guess I'll spoiler my discussion of it:

It seems like a level that forces you to make a lot of correct decisions, rather than just "shooting things well." For example, it really opened things up when I tricked the enemies into fighting each other right from the start, instead of just instinctively gunning down those first two shotgun guys from behind. Once you've got an imp/shotgunner/cacodemon crossfire going, it's not too hard to pick off the smarter cacodemons before they get too close. After that I made a point skipping the first switch, jumping both gaps and shooting the barons of hell through the window. Then when I hit the switch and hopped into the side room, I just got the hell out as soon as I grabbed the plasma rifle. Since I had already cleared out the teleporter room (through the window before) I was able to get back in the main room, take out the fresh barons from there, and get the yellow key once the dust had settled.

Everything was pretty straightforward from then on. Although I have no idea how I'd approach this one from a clean pistol start. :psyduck:

Also it didn't occur to me until afterwards that I could just telefrag the cyberdemon. :v:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Essobie posted:

The weapon progression was obviously based on the single player experience, with a number of guns being mostly useless in DM (see Nailgun and Super Nailgun).
The rocket launcher was also hilariously broken, the blast radius was gigantic and the MINIMUM amount of splash damage you could take from it was 60.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Medal of Honor and Call of Duty are the games you should be shaking your fist at, though. They've paved the way for years of boilerplate shooters with the creativity of a dimestore romance novel. If you've played one, you've played all of them.
COD was a natural progression from the Half-Life silent protagonist linear setpiece shooter concept. The only things that ever changed was they started ripping off Halo's gameplay wholesale since the second installment, eventually replaced Nazis with generic Middle Eastern and former Soviet state terrorists, and also started throwing a lot of money at it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Vintersorg posted:

I remember at the time I didn't understand how modems or connecting to others worked, so one day I was like, I'LL HOST A GAME. Gave someone the phone number, not knowing anything about ip addresses. He phoned my house with his modem, my parents got a call at 2am from some screechy system.

My parents put up with this poo poo from me for years. MOM DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE WE'RE PLAYING ONLINE! DAD NO YOU CAN'T USE IT FOR THE NEXT THREE HOURS! GODDAMMIT MOM I TOLD YOU NOT TO PICK UP THE PHONE!!

OneEightHundred posted:

COD was a natural progression from the Half-Life silent protagonist linear setpiece shooter concept. The only things that ever changed was they started ripping off Halo's gameplay wholesale since the second installment, eventually replaced Nazis with generic Middle Eastern and former Soviet state terrorists, and also started throwing a lot of money at it.

The first two Medal of Honor games on the PS1 were great games and completely different than Allied Assault which paved the way for CoD and all its copycats. The first two MoH games were very subdued and not nearly as over-the-top as the rest that followed. I found them to be much more engrossing games than the ones where you mow down a thousand Nazis by the time you're finished. The whole playing as a female French Underground agent disguised as a photographer in the second MoH was fantastically done.

Those games weren't afraid to throw goofy poo poo in there either with secret levels comprised of animated suits of armor and dancing dogs. :v: Man those were awesome games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Essobie posted:

I would argue that the multiplayer in Quake 1 felt tacked on, and didn't actually take off until QuakeWorld made it possible for people to not jump into lava on accident if they happened to be playing outside of a LAN environment (or a college T1). The weapon progression was obviously based on the single player experience, with a number of guns being mostly useless in DM (see Nailgun and Super Nailgun).

As for Quake 2, that game didn't even come with multi-player maps originally. Not until a point release months after launch did they release the q2dm? maps. And then there was the netcode that was tied directly to framerate on the client, leaving HPBs playing at 20 frames per second. It was awful at multi-player, really. My friends and I went right back to playing QW Team Fortress after playing Q2 multi-player for about a day. Not until RA2 came along did we go back to Q2.

This is not to say that both games didn't have a huge multi-player following (and as you state, folks are still playing Quake 1 (QW rather) today, but they were certainly more focused on single player from a technology and design perspective.

I think Quake 3 was all about multi-player only because Carmack wanted to make a game that was "all about multi-player" for once. I want to say there is even an interview with him talking about Q3's lack of a "normal single player experience" where he explains as much.

Now that you're saying this - it's possible that I started playing Q2 when the dms were already out - my PC at the time of release couldn't handle it. So I continued playing Q1 multiplayer. After my PC got the upgrade - Q2 multi was already in full swing so I basically discovered a paradise. So yeah, you're right - I got lucky with my timing.

I know which interview with Carmack you mean - I remember him saying that too. It was more of an impression I had when Q3 launched that it played exactly like Q2 and I just couldn't shake the feeling that they simply took lessons from it, realized that the game lives on multi so long after the release and risked with a multiplayer-only shooter. I mean Q3 has nothing to do with Q1 multi - it's like a tweaked Q2 so I felt immediatelly at home.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I view Half Life 2 and Halo as fantastic games that spawned an industry of derivatives. I'm reminded of the old Hollywood studio system. Some of the originals were outright amazing, but for decades afterwards the industry was obsessed with churning out the same crap over and over again, while failing to recreate what made the originals so amazing. The gaming industry seems to be where Hollywood was 50 years ago.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

THE HORSES rear end posted:

I view Half Life 2 and Halo as fantastic games that spawned an industry of derivatives. I'm reminded of the old Hollywood studio system. Some of the originals were outright amazing, but for decades afterwards the industry was obsessed with churning out the same crap over and over again, while failing to recreate what made the originals so amazing.
I don't think Half-Life 2 really did that much. Heavy physics use was already on its way in with UT2k3, DX9 was on the way in regardless, and the gameplay was pretty much a straight clone of HL1 plus vehicles, a formula that had already fallen out of favor due to Halo's mechanics being more gamepad-friendly.

The one thing that definitely lasted was the visual impact of reminding everybody that global illumination and photosourced textures really do make your game look good. It kind of defeated Doom 3's "hey guys, SHADOWS!" approach for the next 5 years in that regard.

quote:

The gaming industry seems to be where Hollywood was 50 years ago.
Well, Jason Rubin talked about this a few years back, where a big problem was that it's an IP-oriented industry with a talent-based product, and he predicted that it would be forced to reorient soon. We're at a point where that theory will be tested: There are talent-oriented publishers like Sony, and IP-oriented publishers like Activision, and two huge IPs (Halo and Call of Duty) just lost their core talent.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 22, 2011

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Yodzilla posted:

You didn't think the enemies in Quake were bullet sponges? Those goddamn knights that are everywhere take 5+ super shotgun blasts, the beasts 4+, and everything else is just as tough. It gets really annoying really fast.

hmm, for some reason it didn't feel that way. Maybe it's because quake gave me things like the rocket launcher, grenade launcher, and super nailgun much sooner than quake 2 gave me the chaingun. I also feel like the chaingun in quake 2 runs dry VERY fast, whereas in Q1 I always had a copious amount of nails, grenades and rockets. For whatever reason, Q2 definitely feels slower paced to me. It picked up a little bit when I got the super shotgun and chaingun, but enemies felt really stupid and bullet spongy and I didn't feel they felt that way in Q1. (Though some enemies were really cheap)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Well, the main bullet sponges in Quake are the knights, fiends, and shamblers. The first two try to melee you and shooting them with rockets may or may not get you hit with a massive amount of splash, the third innately takes half damage from explosives.

And yes Q2's chaingun is an atrocious ammo hog that is only useful for killing bosses.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

OneEightHundred posted:

The one thing that definitely lasted was the visual impact of reminding everybody that global illumination and photosourced textures really do make your game look good. It kind of defeated Doom 3's "hey guys, SHADOWS!" approach for the next 5 years in that regard.

Don't forget new lip-synching technology. Half-Life 2 loving blew everything else out of the water.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Don't forget new lip-synching technology. Half-Life 2 loving blew everything else out of the water.
I think things would have gone that direction without it. Much of HL2's face poser functionality was built on a third-party library, a library which had UE2 integration already so clearly its developers thought there'd be a market for it. Doom 3 had a bunch of facial animation stuff as well, and it all works pretty much the same way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

microwave casserole posted:

I don't think we're in a permanent downhill slope at all, we're just in an uncomfortable transition period between polygons and voxels.

I haven't done extensive research on this, but it was an interesting thing I saw a few weeks ago and it doesn't appear to have been proven BS yet, although people are obviously skeptical of its practical applications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Their refusal to provide a detailed explanation of what makes this better than any other voxel renderer is either because they're lying or because they're protecting their trade secrets until they get official funding, depending on who you want to believe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OneEightHundred posted:

I think things would have gone that direction without it. Much of HL2's face poser functionality was built on a third-party library, a library which had UE2 integration already so clearly its developers thought there'd be a market for it. Doom 3 had a bunch of facial animation stuff as well, and it all works pretty much the same way.

Yeah, but this is the history we have so HL2 did the innovation. Someone could have came earlier but they didn't.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The unlimited detail stuff was beaten pretty deep into the ground over those last few weeks. Notch even wrote up an essay on why it's a scam.

General consensus of arguments between whether it's a scam or not seemed to agree at this: the technology--right now--isn't nearly as viable as they portray it to be in the video. It'd also be a nightmare for rendering animations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

I think Quakeworld Team Fortress was first with an offhand grenade key instead of grenades as dedicated weapons. Though it just kind of flew out of your face instead of having a nice animation like Halo.
I can't recall it having a dedicated grenade key at that time, but I do remember that pretty much all quake-engine derived games with grenades sooner or later had players bind a grenade macro that did the exact same thing: switch to grenade, throw it, switch back to previous weapon as fast as the game could process the input.

Essobie posted:

I would argue that the multiplayer in Quake 1 felt tacked on, and didn't actually take off until QuakeWorld made it possible for people to not jump into lava on accident if they happened to be playing outside of a LAN environment (or a college T1). The weapon progression was obviously based on the single player experience, with a number of guns being mostly useless in DM (see Nailgun and Super Nailgun).
The MP content might have been a bit tacked on, but multiplayer itself was pretty much in the core of the game. Hell, the first thing most people saw of quake 1 was the MP-Test build (that blew everyone's mind by allowing up to 12 players with some fiddling). Another thing that MP Test had, that pretty much revolutionized gaming was the pull-down console window for (gasp!) on-the-fly debugging, configuration and other… ehm… interesting things.

I remember that a lot of the feedback that went back to iD based on that test build basically boiled down to one thing: keep the console — everything else is negotiable! :P

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I have created the Derail that will not die. :psypop:

Does anyone else get a virus pop up when they try and run the One Unit Whole blood mod launcher. My AVG freaks out every time I open it.
:arghfist::clint:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I have created the Derail that will not die. :psypop:

Does anyone else get a virus pop up when they try and run the One Unit Whole blood mod launcher. My AVG freaks out every time I open it.
:arghfist::clint:

Stop using AVG, it's turned into a bloated shitpile that's awful at detecting viruses and throws out false positives like crazy. Use Microsoft Security Essentials or NOD 32 instead.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When it comes to innovation - I'm currently wondering how far procedural rendering can take us. Everybody knows Minecraft in this field but my mind was blown some time ago by Space Engine - a procedural engine of the entire galaxy.

It's actually in alpha now and everybody can try it right now on their machines. We even have a thread about it.

It basically simulates all the stars in the universe (millions), each witch their own planets, animated movements, paths, time etc. and you can land on any planet/moon and even the terrain is procedurally generated in quite a detail. The scale is mindblowing and I'm wondering when technology like this could be used in FPSes. It's being written by one Russian guy who right now works on implementing procedural civilizations into his engine.

Check out the thread because this should be experienced with your own PCs but here are also a few nice teaser videos:

A day/night cycle on one of the planets showing off the graphics engine

A little feel for the scale of this thing

A longer narrated presentation but covering all the awesome stuff in one video

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Tippis posted:

I can't recall it having a dedicated grenade key at that time, but I do remember that pretty much all quake-engine derived games with grenades sooner or later had players bind a grenade macro that did the exact same thing: switch to grenade, throw it, switch back to previous weapon as fast as the game could process the input.

TF definitely had a dedicated grenade key, and it had several, as each class had both a normal and a class-specific grenade.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to set up my Mac to play Brutal doom so it looks and sounds like the videos Dominic White posted?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

It basically simulates all the stars in the universe (millions)

The universe is a lot bigger than you think.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Palpek posted:

When it comes to innovation - I'm currently wondering how far procedural rendering can take us. Everybody knows Minecraft in this field but my mind was blown some time ago by Space Engine - a procedural engine of the entire galaxy.

Oh christ it's Noctis V!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I saw a demo video of a procedurally generated, destructible city environment that they were running around first person shooter style inside. The level of detail wasn't immense but it was definitely something kinda neat, especially when they showed you could shooting apart walls and such.

Wish I could find that goddamn video.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Tippis posted:

The MP content might have been a bit tacked on, but multiplayer itself was pretty much in the core of the game. Hell, the first thing most people saw of quake 1 was the MP-Test build (that blew everyone's mind by allowing up to 12 players with some fiddling). Another thing that MP Test had, that pretty much revolutionized gaming was the pull-down console window for (gasp!) on-the-fly debugging, configuration and other… ehm… interesting things.

I remember that a lot of the feedback that went back to iD based on that test build basically boiled down to one thing: keep the console — everything else is negotiable! :P

As Golbez said, TF had multiple grenade keys. I believe the default was that there was one bind for each grenade priming, and then a third to "throw primed grenade". Because of Quake 1's fairly robust scripting, a lot of people did make the +prime1 type scripts that would prime on hold and throw on release... but those scripts didn't give you a lot of finger mobility to do precision grenade work... especially the Soldier class which typically used Frag Grenades as a fifth rocket.

It is funny and sad to me at the same time that I remember any of this.

I remember the multiplayer test for Quake 1 as well... and you may be correct.

Quake 1 came out at a really crazy time for folks just getting into LANning. I remember my friends used to try for hours and hours to get an IPX network up and running over a terminated cable network using DOS 6.22, and when we all finally upgraded to Windows 95 and TCP/IP everything became stupidly easy to hook up.

LAN parties were actual parties and no longer giant trouble shooting experimentation settings.

The point is, I would not be surprised if the main goals behind Quake 1 were 1) Super fast software rendering of 3D environments as well as 3D models and 2) shooting your coworkers.

Quake 2 was single player before everything though. :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Essobie posted:

The point is, I would not be surprised if the main goals behind Quake 1 were 1) Super fast software rendering of 3D environments as well as 3D models and 2) shooting your coworkers.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. It was much like Doom in that regard: the focus was on storyline SP, with a (surprisingly) addicting multiplayer capability that turned out to be the main draw. After all, it took them until Quake 3 to figure out what it was people really spent time on…

My point about the MP Test, though, was that they most certainly had understood even then multiplayer was something people really spent a lot of time on, and making it solid and easy to use was a real selling point at a time when most software had you doing the entire voodoo chicken dance to have a hope in hell to get things to work. So it was not an afterthought that the capability and the game modes were included.

As for the LAN parties, yeah, I remember those as well.

It was at a time when the whole idea of linking your computers together at home was just wierd (because, 1, what kind of oddball would have multiple computers at home, and 2, why on earth would you connect them?! what's wrong with floppies?!). When we went into the local computer shop and bought a 5-pack of network cards and a ton of coax cable to get our Duke:athons more organized, they tried to sell us a 3-year on-site tech support contract as well, because… obviously we were a small business if we wanted that kind of equipment. :haw:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 22, 2011

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, but this is the history we have so HL2 did the innovation. Someone could have came earlier but they didn't.
Again, Doom 3 had essentially the same feature in similar quality and was released slightly earlier, and it had been trending in a pretty steadily upward until then, which you can follow through several late Q3 and early UE2 games.

treat posted:

The unlimited detail stuff was beaten pretty deep into the ground over those last few weeks. Notch even wrote up an essay on why it's a scam.

General consensus of arguments between whether it's a scam or not seemed to agree at this: the technology--right now--isn't nearly as viable as they portray it to be in the video. It'd also be a nightmare for rendering animations.
Notch criticized them for a claim they didn't make, which is that they didn't clone any of the voxel geometry. It falls into the usual category of radical new tech stuff like this: The problem with them isn't that they can't be done, the problem is that either they can't be done in real time, or the content creation process for them sucks.

Also "real time" means real time in a game that's also trying to process animations, physics, and sound, not real time in a contrived viewer app that can devote 100% of its processing power.

Tippis posted:

it took them until Quake 3 to figure out what it was people really spent time on…
It had less to do with them "figuring out" anything than it did with the number of people with Internet access tripling, and with the introduction of residential broadband allowing residential users to act as viable server hosts.

When Quake 2 came out, a multiplayer-only Quake game would have been insane.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 22, 2011

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Essobie posted:

I recall an interview with Carmack where he stated that he created QuakeWorld only after he realized how popular multiplayer was, and was ashamed at how poorly the stock netcode performed. So I don't think it's fair to say that it was designed with multiplayer in mind.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm looking for G/ZDoom WADs with the visual quality of "The Ultimate Torment and Torture" that can be (reasonably) paired with Brutal Doom. I know there's good stuff like Demon Eclipse and Zen Dynamics, but they don't work with Brutal Doom. And a lot of Doom repositories don't have screenshots, so it's a real crapshoot trying to find the cream of the crop. Any suggestions?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Halls of the Damned, jesus gently caress this level on Ultra-Violence, so many goddamn Pinky demons.

Than they chase you if you accidentally open a closet!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TOOT BOOT posted:

The universe is a lot bigger than you think.

I worded it badly - I was refering to what you can find in the actual game and not the real universe as I can't really be sure if there are as many stars there - but there sure are millions in game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Halls of the Damned, jesus gently caress this level on Ultra-Violence, so many goddamn Pinky demons.

How'd you get hard edges on the wall blood splats?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I didn't get much multiplayer in back than which might explain why I don't really care for it as an adult. I played with bots most of the time in Quake. Never really getting into MP until I had DSL in 97 and just playing Starcraft.

Modem-to-modem play doesn't even use IP addresses, I'm pretty sure it predates the entire TCP/IP protocol. you were pretty much doing the right thing. You just set your modem to "Wait for call", plug it into your house's phone line and your friend connects to your number. It was wonderfully simple.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Palpek posted:

I worded it badly - I was refering to what you can find in the actual game and not the real universe as I can't really be sure if there are as many stars there - but there sure are millions in game.

It's the Milky Way, not the universe, and in actuality it's hundreds of billions, not millions. :science:

I haven't played the game/sim/mind bong, but with a margin of error of around 100-200 billion stars, I have a hard time even imagining how much depth it holds.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Vintersorg posted:

I actually played this map with Brutal Doom the other day and found it to be tense and scary as gently caress. That might be because I'm a gigantic pussy when it comes to dark areas and there's a nice big one in that level.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Flannelette posted:

How'd you get hard edges on the wall blood splats?

I'm not too sure, at work now but i'll post a shot of my settings later.

The level is claustrophobic as gently caress tho which might lead to the scaryness. Low ceilings, tiny halls, the one pitch black area where you need night vision and once that poo poo begins flashing you high tail it the gently caress out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A goon pointed me this video, its work safe and just shows how a dad played waaaay too much Doom, i think even more than us.

But after that video, im thinking if some day a dad would wake his son with something related to call of duty :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm getting back into Doom by trying to beat Doom 1 and Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence with "hardcore mode"-esque runs. If I die, I start all over.

Holy gently caress Doom 2 is way, way harder than the original Doom :psyduck: Also, what's with nightmare mode? Do monsters just respawn infinitely?