Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Anime_Otaku posted:

I have a minor niggle with my Gen 1 iPod touch (upgrading is on my "to do" list when the new one comes out unless I hear it'll be a while).
When it's playing music some tracks have the wrong cover art even though it's correct in iTunes. Usually it's showing the cover of an entirely different album but in the case of My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy it's showing the Pixilated version you get when you buy it from iTunes and not the uncensored version I dragged into iTunes myself.
Happens to me a fair bit on iphone 3GS.
Some tracks show 4 different pics of cover art from elsewhere in my library: on the list by album, album contents list, now playing screen and lock screen.
Not just CD rips but some from the itunes store too.
I've tried deleting the art and re-adding in itunes, but it didn't fix it. Removed them from the iphone playlist, synced, re-added then synced again. Still no joy.
So if anyone does have a fix that'd be great.

(Have some amusing screen shots somewhere...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Slide McGriffin posted:

So I decided to give iTunes a chance and added my old music folder to it and let it chug away for a bit. It still wasn't finished when I shut my PC down so I stopped the music that was left being added but now it's all disappeared from my music folder, it's not in the default iTunes folder and I can't find it with search. Anyone know where it's gone?

Find your music yet? Were you letting itunes manage the music?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I know my iPhone had that issue a while ago. Now the issue is that sometimes I'll play a song from it, and it won't show the album art on the lock screen. To fix that after you sync you have reboot the phone, which is retarded. It might have fixed the mixed up album artwork thing, because I don't remember seeing that problem lately, and I don't think I've done a restore since I got the phone.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo

chemosh6969 posted:

Find your music yet? Were you letting itunes manage the music?

No, no idea where it's gone. I just left iTunes on the default setting for everything apart from changing the media library to my music folder.

who wants chicken
Mar 2, 2009

Dave, the point of the story is... let's see, hernia, wild animals, Nixon... hell, it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I could help you out.
I've had an 6G iPod Classic for about three and a half years now and it's been working great for the most part. But for some reason it will not play one of my CDs.

Every time it comes to a track from that album, it'll just autoskip to the next track.

I've deleted the files, reburned the CD, and readded the album to my library, but it still doesn't want to play it.

The album plays fine on iTunes. What am I doing wrong?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Recently I bought a 6th Gen iPod nano to use as my primary music player. I was really happy with the ability to sync "last played" information and star ratings.

As of a few days ago, this has stopped working and I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried restoring my iPod and messing with a few settings, but nothing seems to work.

Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 5, 2011

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Okay this probably sounds like a dumb question, but here goes. I upgraded to a new computer and I'm trying to move all my music to the new one. I imported the library, and there's a difference of roughly 100 songs between the library on the old computer and this one. Is there anyway of figuring out which songs have gone missing?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm trying to add Album Art to some songs that iTunes's 'Get Album Artwork' feature missed. When I slide the art onto the blank space for the Album Art in 'Get Info' iTunes refuses to add the Album Art.

How can I fix this?

e: Looks like I'm having complete success downloading the image first and then moving the file onto the blank space. God, why are you so finicky, iTunes?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 9, 2011

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?
Ok guys, input time. I'm writing a script that adds the LAME quality of a track to its "Description" tag in iTunes (a tag that I only had one song out of 6000 using it) so you can finally see that information instead of just seeing a random bitrate. It's using the output of dnuos reformatted to look like the default info in iTunes, so instead of saying "320 C" it'll say 320 kbps, "229 V" will be "229 kbps (VBR)" etc, but how would you like it formatted for stuff iTunes doesn't have a default for, like the LAME presets?

I'm open to suggestions, for now it's just outputting exactly what dnuos reads, so a file ripped with "-v 2 --vbr-new" shows up as "-V2n", but through the power of regular expressions, we can really make it say whatever we want :).

Edit: Oh and as a plus, I'm trying to write this script to have something that checks for new versions of itself too, I think that may be a first for applescript.

ElBob fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 12, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

Also, please excuse the ugly inverse colors going on there. I want it dark because iTunes is always open on a second monitor, and pure white would be too bright.

Just updated from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2, and it makes high contrast mode so much easier to look at. Plus, I gained the drop down arrows in the sidebar show up again.

Compare the below image to the quoted version to see what I mean:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Is anyone else experience a problem where purchased tracks and downloaded podcasts aren't getting properly named? The track will just appear in my library with an exclamation point, and when I hunt in the (correct) folder, the track is listed as "download.mp3" or "download.m4a" (or whatever).

I've tried searching Google for information, but it's not recognizing "download.mp3" as a filename search and just brings up references to downloading mp3s.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured I might as well give it a shot. Ever since I've upgraded to iTunes 10.4 (yesterday, I've been out of the country, and this behavior also appears with 10.4.1) I've been unable to update my music. I keep all of my music on an external hard drive for space saving reasons, and I usually update my library by dragging the folder from Windows Explorer (I'm on Win7) into the music section of iTunes. Ever since the update, when I try to do that, it starts making new playlists for each folder and then crashing. I guess its crashing because it can't handle making that many new playlists at once. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Importing the folder from the menu has the same effect.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you tried changing the folder in the settings, and then changing it back? Exporting the music library, and doing a new install, and importing?

I don't know much about permissions on Windows, but I'm sure there's a way to see if you/the program has read/write access to the directory.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 23, 2011

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

IUG posted:

I don't know much about permissions on Windows, but I'm sure there's a way to see if you/the program has read/write access to the directory.

It goes by user access of whichever account is running the program.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

IUG posted:

Have you tried changing the folder in the settings, and then changing it back? Exporting the music library, and doing a new install, and importing?

Well the folder itself isn't anywhere in the iTunes settings. I usually just drag and drop it from Windows Explorer into the music section of iTunes.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
Just got a lovely new laptop through work, and I was wonderig about sharing my library over two macbooks.

At the moment the library is on an external hard drive that I plug in to my old laptop to listen to music or sync my iPhone. If I plug this into the new macbook and point itunes at the library, will it work fine, let me add music, update play counts etc? What about syncing my phone?

Also, when I move flats I plan on setting the old laptop up in the living room as a media server, plugged into the harddrive, speakers and a visual output. Will I be able to set up my other laptop so that it can use that library and write to it as well? Is there a way of doing this so that I can have my old laptop, at home, plugged into the hard drive with the library on it and be at work, able to access that library, add music to it etc?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I have a song that belongs on both an album and an EP. Could I have this single file appear in both groups or will I need to duplicate the file?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

I have a song that belongs on both an album and an EP. Could I have this single file appear in both groups or will I need to duplicate the file?

Yes, you're going to need a duplicate files in this case. I'd just uncheck one of them so it doesn't show up in smart playlists.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
How would I go about moving the folder iTunes stores everything in from one location to another on the SAME computer ?

Every guide i've Googled so far assumes a wholesale move from one computer to another. I need to move the folder off the HD it's on because it's almost full. I am on Windows XP, and right now it's stored at the default of C:\Documents and Settings\MREBoy\My Documents\My Music\iTunes.

To possibly complicate things, the music I have (1 downloaded album & a bunch of MP3 ripped CDs) seems to be split between two subfolders named "iTunes Music" and "iTunes Media" (ie C:\Documents and Settings\MREBoy\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick the folder you want them to be located in (in the preferences). Then go into the File Menu, Library, and consolidate the library. This will move everything the library into that folder.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know if there's a good way to pull iTunesU content out of the iTMS on a Linux machine short of VMWare + Windows + iTunes + shared folders?

ed: Nevermind, apparently the app I'm looking for is TunesViewer.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 29, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

IUG posted:

Pick the folder you want them to be located in (in the preferences). Then go into the File Menu, Library, and consolidate the library. This will move everything the library into that folder.
Even easier, if you change the folder in iTunes Preferences > Advanced, it will offer to do this for you.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I heard there was something coming up where you could redownload all your previous iTunes purchases. Is this accurate? I've lost an awful lot of songs over the years and I was wondering if I had a chance of getting them back instead of buying them again?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I heard there was something coming up where you could redownload all your previous iTunes purchases. Is this accurate? I've lost an awful lot of songs over the years and I was wondering if I had a chance of getting them back instead of buying them again?
You can do it now with an iDevice, but I'm not sure how the computer link part works.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Open iTunes. There is a link on the right hand side that says "Purchased". That's every song iTunes has you recorded purchasing.

Note: This requires latest version of iTunes

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Is there an alternative to iConcertCal? It hasn't worked since 10.4 got released and well, I have no idea when it'll be updated to a working state and I rather hope I'm not missing any new CDs.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Moeru posted:

Open iTunes. There is a link on the right hand side that says "Purchased". That's every song iTunes has you recorded purchasing.

Note: This requires latest version of iTunes

I updated and I couldn't find any link on the right hand side, just the left. At the bottom there was a link that said "Download previous purchases" but that was just for apps and books, so I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or what.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I updated and I couldn't find any link on the right hand side, just the left. At the bottom there was a link that said "Download previous purchases" but that was just for apps and books, so I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or what.

You're not dumb. He left out the important detail that the link was inside the iTunes Store, not just part of the application itself.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Diabolik900 posted:

You're not dumb. He left out the important detail that the link was inside the iTunes Store, not just part of the application itself.

:( I'm sorry. I apologize for that. I could see it in my head and didn't write it out like I was supposed to

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's the right screen, but music redownloading is in US-only beta.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

hirvox posted:

That's the right screen, but music redownloading is in US-only beta.

...oh. Well as I'm in Australia I guess I won't hold my breath. Thanks anyway people.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've tried looking around and couldn't really find a satisfactory answer to this, but...is there a good way to remove the drm/copy protection/whatever from m4v videos?

I bought some tv shows from the itunes store and I'd like to convert them to avi and slap them on a dvd so I can watch them with my dad. But the software I use to do the conversion is saying that it's copy-protected. I tried adding the videos to a playlist and using the "burn" option from the file menu, but my dvd player doesn't recognize the disk when I put it in.

I did a bit of googling and most of the advice from the results require some sort of software. I don't mind paying for a program that will do it (within reason), but I don't know what's good and what's bad. Any suggestions?

RedDragon8429
Jun 10, 2006
I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'm hoping someone can help me out with this here.

I'm having a problem with my 5th gen 80GB iPod video which I've had for going on five years. I've never had a problem with it before and I have no idea where the problem lies since both the iPod and iTunes work fine except when they're interfacing with each other.

For some reason when I plug the iPod into my computer, nothing happens. The screen on the iPod gives the usual "Do Not Disconnect" message but the computer does not show it as an external drive or a USB device, nor does iTunes even see it for syncing purposes. However it recognizes my iPad just fine. And when I use the iPod normally with headphones it functions properly and when I plug it into my PS3 or my car via USB it also works normally.

What could possibly be going on here?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RedDragon8429 posted:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'm hoping someone can help me out with this here.

I'm having a problem with my 5th gen 80GB iPod video which I've had for going on five years. I've never had a problem with it before and I have no idea where the problem lies since both the iPod and iTunes work fine except when they're interfacing with each other.

For some reason when I plug the iPod into my computer, nothing happens. The screen on the iPod gives the usual "Do Not Disconnect" message but the computer does not show it as an external drive or a USB device, nor does iTunes even see it for syncing purposes. However it recognizes my iPad just fine. And when I use the iPod normally with headphones it functions properly and when I plug it into my PS3 or my car via USB it also works normally.

What could possibly be going on here?

What computer are you using? Have you tried restarting your computer? Usually there's an iTunes Helper (Mac) or some other program (Windows) that tried to detect iDevices when they're plugged in. You may be able to just kill that process to get it working again, or reboot the computer should do it.

vv That was my next suggestion.

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 6, 2011

RedDragon8429
Jun 10, 2006

IUG posted:

What computer are you using? Have you tried restarting your computer? Usually there's an iTunes Helper (Mac) or some other program (Windows) that tried to detect iDevices when they're plugged in. You may be able to just kill that process to get it working again, or reboot the computer should do it.

I'm using a Sony Vaio with Windows 7. I've tried rebooting the computer with no success. I'm currently in the process of reinstalling iTunes. Hopefully that gets me somewhere.

e: reinstalling iTunes has gotten me nowhere. Still won't see the iPod.

For clarification, it does not show up under "safely remove hardware" like it normally does, but it does appear in the device manager. This rules out the common troubleshooting tip I've seen that says to try a different USB port (which I have tried) and coupled with the fact that my car's USB port recognizes it perfectly means that the female dock connector is not broken or malfunctioning.

RedDragon8429 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 7, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Has anybody noticed music that they never bought showing up in the purchased section of the iTunes Store? Ever since they enabled re-downloading I've had about two dozen songs in there that I know I never bought. I was never charged for them, so I'm not worried about my account being compromised or anything. I'm sure it was just a bug of some kind, but I was wondering if it is common or not.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Has anybody noticed music that they never bought showing up in the purchased section of the iTunes Store? Ever since they enabled re-downloading I've had about two dozen songs in there that I know I never bought. I was never charged for them, so I'm not worried about my account being compromised or anything. I'm sure it was just a bug of some kind, but I was wondering if it is common or not.

I'd change your password either way though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I was never charged for them, nor have I had any additional mystery purchases on my account since the initial batch of songs but I suppose it's better safe than sorry.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Diabolik900 posted:

Nobody here is going to judge you. We all went through an NKOTB phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone know where I can buy UK iTunes gift card codes the cheapest? I picked up a £25 one for £33 a while back and I'd rather find a place where they don't charge that much extra. E-mail delivery is a must.