Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

JammyLammy posted:

E-ink vs LCD screen. With iPads, you are going to burn out your eyes, as oppose to e-ink where it simulates a page with ink.

Think of it this way, take a light bulb, and write some words on it. Now turn on the light and try to read it, its going to hurt your eyes after awhile (well, this may sound extreme, but its basically what you are doing with prolong reading on a LCD)

If you are just using it for short bursts and need it to browse the internet, watch video, etc, then iPad might be your best choice. If you are looking for a dedicated reader, then get a ereader that uses e-ink (not Nook Color)

Yeah, I was looking at Kindles and Nooks in Best Buy the other day and was impressed by the Kindle's screen. E-ink is really cool. I was just wondering if there was an advantage to the Nook Color over the iPad besides price. I wasn't sure if the Nook Color had some anti-glare technology the iPad didn't or something, but it sounds like it doesn't.

The LCD screen on my laptop is a pain to use in the sun, so I'm really leaning towards the Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
If it uses colours, it's called a tablet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The kindle app for my Samsung Focus kills my battery so fast it's not even funny. It's good for when I can't whip out my kindle, though, like when I'm at work.

The way that the Kindle (and other e-readers) work is that e-ink screens do not use any power to actually display text, only when it changes. Unlike an LCD.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
E-ink is so good. I've had my kindle for 8 months and I'm still stoked with it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Finally decided to go digital since I'm running out of shelf space and it's only going to get worse. Bought a Kindle, had it about a week now. Verdict: it fukken owns.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm in love with my Kindle and all, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of my physical books. I like being able to look at a shelf full of books. Hell, if I had the space for it I'd have a room dedicated as a personal library, with big cushy chairs and shelves all the way around.

I don't really get why people get rid of their books when they get an e-reader, unless it's solely for the sake of more space. And if you're that strapped for room, why did you amass a collection in the first place?

It makes me sad, somehow. :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love my kindle, but what I really love is having the kindle app on my phone and being able to read on my phone at work then pick up where I left off at home on the toilet with the kindle :v:

Also grabbing a sample chapter before I commit to buying a book is the greatest. When I browse for new books I usually just hit the "what other people looked at" list then grab samples of anything that looks interesting.

edit: I am not getting rid of my (piles and piles of) physical books, and I haven't completely stopped buying books made of paper but I've slowed way down. I'm in the process of turning a spare bedroom into a library and will be talking to a guy this week about building shelves so I can finally get them all out of the boxes! :dance:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 16, 2011

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

spixxor posted:

I'm in love with my Kindle and all, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of my physical books. I like being able to look at a shelf full of books. Hell, if I had the space for it I'd have a room dedicated as a personal library, with big cushy chairs and shelves all the way around.

I don't really get why people get rid of their books when they get an e-reader, unless it's solely for the sake of more space. And if you're that strapped for room, why did you amass a collection in the first place?

It makes me sad, somehow. :smith:

I've got all kinds of rare and unique books that I'm in the process of selling. It's not so much a question of room as money. I don't think my Kindle will ever replace the deep pleasure of reading an old book in a nice chair but it's just kind of a phase for me at this point. I've spent more time reading since I got a digital reader and less time piling up paper as a collection.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BELL END posted:

Finally decided to go digital since I'm running out of shelf space and it's only going to get worse. Bought a Kindle, had it about a week now. Verdict: it fukken owns.

My thoughts exactly!

mischief posted:

I've got all kinds of rare and unique books that I'm in the process of selling. It's not so much a question of room as money. I don't think my Kindle will ever replace the deep pleasure of reading an old book in a nice chair but it's just kind of a phase for me at this point. I've spent more time reading since I got a digital reader and less time piling up paper as a collection.

I'm basically just going to sell off the books that I have digitally. Will keep a few choice ones such as first editions & poo poo that's out of print.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Any of you guys used an iRiver Story HD?

Looking into getting an eReader, and I like the looks of it. Plus the Google eBooks integration.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Crow_Robot posted:

Any of you guys used an iRiver Story HD?

Looking into getting an eReader, and I like the looks of it. Plus the Google eBooks integration.

The only thing I see that would personally make me hesitate is the lack of browsing capabilities (apparently there's a way to browse the web but it's really poor, e.g. no address bar, etc). Otherwise, I'd like to hear more. I'm especially curious about text-to-speech, as some reviews of it say it's better than other e-readers, and I use that feature pretty often on my Kindle.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

JammyLammy posted:

E-ink vs LCD screen. With iPads, you are going to burn out your eyes, as oppose to e-ink where it simulates a page with ink.

Think of it this way, take a light bulb, and write some words on it. Now turn on the light and try to read it, its going to hurt your eyes after awhile (well, this may sound extreme, but its basically what you are doing with prolong reading on a LCD)

If you are just using it for short bursts and need it to browse the internet, watch video, etc, then iPad might be your best choice. If you are looking for a dedicated reader, then get a ereader that uses e-ink (not Nook Color)

For what it's worth though, The Kindle reader on a Nook color is pretty drat nice. The pixel density is fantastic and with the right settings (sepia colorscheme and lowest possible backlight) it's my preferred reading method, even over e-ink.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I picked up a refurbished nook color a few days ago and put cn7 on it. Uuuugh so good. I had a old nook wifi and I liked it well enough but being able to read at night and pull up things like a wiki of ice and fire and look things up whenever I want is pretty amazing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series for the first time after getting my kindle. Sadly, they aren't out on the kindle, so I'm forced to read them in actual book form, like a barbarian. One advantage e-books have is it's definitely more comfortable to hold and read than a 800~ page book.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series for the first time after getting my kindle. Sadly, they aren't out on the kindle, so I'm forced to read them in actual book form, like a barbarian. One advantage e-books have is it's definitely more comfortable to hold and read than a 800~ page book.

Yeah, I got mine specifically because I like to read in bed, and my hands fall asleep trying to hold books up. Going back through the Wheel of Time series, that I only have in hardcover, would have killed. Plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to take to work, and if I finish a book there, I can start the next one without having to make it obvious I'm not doing my job.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Coffee And Pie posted:

They will be out soon in legal ebook form, and supposedly they'll work on all major readers.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Did anyone ever pose the question to Rowling as to why she waited so long? The most popular books in the WORLD; anyone who wanted them in e-book format already has them, I would assume.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
There's actually a full set of .mobi harry potter books out there in :filez: land, that some obsessive fan manually assembled. They went through, manually corrected all the OCR errors, scanned in the chapter-top engraving pictures, did the full copyright info in the front and everything... the sort of completely perfect by-hand ebook conversion that could only come from someone who is a diehard lifer harry potter obsessive.

I'm kind of curious how the Pottermore versions will stack up, compared.

Quad posted:

Did anyone ever pose the question to Rowling as to why she waited so long? The most popular books in the WORLD; anyone who wanted them in e-book format already has them, I would assume.

She was one of those people who was "suspicious" and "skeptical" of the e-book experience, among other things, but also really bothered by DRM/store-limited purchases etc. - she decided if it was going to be an e-book, it would work with every reader from one purchase on one storefront, and she wanted to take advantage of the new medium to add more content and exploration to the experience. Thus, pottermore was born: big fancy media and lorecraft companion to the ebooks, which would be available from it in every format once purchased. It just took a really long time to decide on what pottermore would encompass and then make it happen.

Yeah, it could have come a lot quicker, she spent easily a year or two just waffling and scowling at the thought of ebooks before even starting work on pottermore.

dont eat a carb fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 19, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Someone sent me a the Deathly Hallows on ebook but it turned out it was actually a 1000 page fan fiction instead of the actual novel. I made it about 1/3 of my "reread" before I realised it was seriously divergent

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

dont eat a carb posted:

There's actually a full set of .mobi harry potter books out there in :filez: land, that some obsessive fan manually assembled. They went through, manually corrected all the OCR errors, scanned in the chapter-top engraving pictures.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why/how is this more impressive than scanning the other thousands of pages?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

dont eat a carb posted:

There's actually a full set of .mobi harry potter books out there in :filez: land, that some obsessive fan manually assembled. They went through, manually corrected all the OCR errors, scanned in the chapter-top engraving pictures, did the full copyright info in the front and everything... the sort of completely perfect by-hand ebook conversion that could only come from someone who is a diehard lifer harry potter obsessive.

A lot of books out there are like that. Complete with a whole versioning system to indicate the level of editing that's been done to the ebook.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

Anne Whateley posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why/how is this more impressive than scanning the other thousands of pages?

Getting everything to look just right in the mobi is a huge hassle, but yeah not hugely impressive compared to the rest. It's just an extra detail 99.9% of pirated ebooks never bother with.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw the Kobo Wireless at the semi local Borders today, 60$.

Leaning towards getting it just to have a spare in case my sony shits the bed sometime.

Can't find a damned thing about the wireless and if you can transfer books that way online though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Saw the Kobo Wireless at the semi local Borders today, 60$.

Leaning towards getting it just to have a spare in case my sony shits the bed sometime.

Can't find a damned thing about the wireless and if you can transfer books that way online though.

I'm pretty sure you can't do this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Spent a week at a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Upper 70s and sunny. Hammock on the lake shore with a nice breeze. I think I spent almost all my time in that hammock with a beer in one hand, Kindle in the other. The best feeling was buying the next book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series via the 3G as soon as I finished the prior.

I don't want to see physical books to ever go away, but god drat.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So somehow my Kindle screen got damaged! I used it during a work break, put it back in the backpack and came home, pulled it out and somehow the screen got cracked. It's always in the case and I pretty much never take it out which is surprising.

Amazon is really cool though and have shipped me a replacement under warranty and all I have to do is return the broken one within 30 days with a prepaid shipping tag, awesome customer service.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ha, I've literally just read that page.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
What is it from? I must know!

Also I'm glad that Amazon is hassle free. I would probably break down crying if anything happened to my Kindle.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

AreYouStillThere posted:

What is it from? I must know!

Also I'm glad that Amazon is hassle free. I would probably break down crying if anything happened to my Kindle.

GRRM by the looks of the writing. He has a way of writing that's easy to spot.

Amirite?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ingram posted:

Amirite?

Yeah, A Dance with Dragons.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ingram posted:

Amirite?

Usually this is where the lemoncake and rape jokes go.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Usually this is where the lemoncake and rape jokes go.
Curious, what is the lemoncake joke?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

GRRM loves to describe every meal and feast in detail and lemoncakes come up pretty often. Some characters really love lemoncakes so people assume that GRRM lemoncakes too.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

In his defense, lemon cake is pretty tasty. He should probably try eating something else now and then, though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So are the Kobo E-readers any good? They have them for $60 at my store, and that's pretty drat tempting, but I have zero experience with them. Can I read poo poo from Amazon on them, or can I convert them in some way? What's the quality when it comes to glare, reading, battery life, etc?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enigmahfc posted:

So are the Kobo E-readers any good? They have them for $60 at my store, and that's pretty drat tempting, but I have zero experience with them. Can I read poo poo from Amazon on them, or can I convert them in some way? What's the quality when it comes to glare, reading, battery life, etc?

You'd have to break DRM which can be annoying and hard, and the ones that'd be on sale for $60 would have to be the older model which wasn't particularly nice. Basically the Kobo reader was on par with the Kindle 2 but came out like a year later.

Remember that you can get a Kindle Wifi with the ads for only $114 and have no issue reading stuff from Amazon.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

enigmahfc posted:

Found the same deal myself, loading books from a SD card seems to be a bit wonky though so I've just loaded it via Calibre after drag and drop failed to see it, reading on it is just OK to me.

Calibre can convert drm free mobi to epub but azw to mobi needs the right plugin and it would require having a kindle in order to use it or so I've heard.

If you manage to get a Touchpad in their fire sale, there is a Kindle program for it too if you prefer LCD to e-ink

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Island Nation posted:

Calibre can convert drm free mobi to epub but azw to mobi needs the right plugin and it would require having a kindle in order to use it or so I've heard.

Nah, I don't know about Calibre plugins, but I have a program that converts azw files downloaded through Kindle for Windows to mobi files and even renames them away from the 5729565611.azw or whatever to the proper book name automatically.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
What's the deal with the kindle power switch? I've googled and found a few people mentioning it's either too stiff or too loose. I left my Kindle alone for a couple of weeks and when I came back to it, I found the switch really really hard to move - I pushed it back and it's now working fine. Some people seem to say dirt can get under the switch - should I be cleaning the switch area somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've had the same problem. It was a bit too stiff, then it sort of turned normal again. Probably nothing huge to worry about.

• Locked thread