Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I have a question about the Litter Robot. Only cleaning it once a week sounds great and all, but isn't there a smell? Surely after 7 days of poo your house must reek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Chroisman posted:

Any recommendations for some good durable black cargo pants or EMS/EMT pants?

I've looked around on the internet some, but a lot of pants I've found have some certain features I don't like, for example button up flies or no drawstrings on the cuffs of the pants (to blouse over boots).

Try Dickies, they make pretty good EMT pants.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

marshmallard posted:

I have a question about the Litter Robot. Only cleaning it once a week sounds great and all, but isn't there a smell? Surely after 7 days of poo your house must reek.

Yes, there is. My cat got prissy and decided she didn't like it, so we switched over to 2 of the ones that work the same, except manually, and added a Litter Locker, which does an amazing job of not stinking compared to just leaving stuff in the bin of the Litter Robot.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
Any backpack recommendations? It doesn't need to be a laptop bag as I don't own a laptop and don't plan to anytime soon.

I've been eyeballing http://ogio.com/backpacks/metro and http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/street-packs/guys/101 but after reading reviews the build quality is seems to be lovely on both. Something along the lines of those but with the build quality of chrome or timbuk2 without the awful colors or awkward style would be great.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

WayneCampbell posted:

Any backpack recommendations? It doesn't need to be a laptop bag as I don't own a laptop and don't plan to anytime soon.

I've been eyeballing http://ogio.com/backpacks/metro and http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/street-packs/guys/101 but after reading reviews the build quality is seems to be lovely on both. Something along the lines of those but with the build quality of chrome or timbuk2 without the awful colors or awkward style would be great.

I've got a Dakine bag, and I'm pretty sure they're guaranteed for life against breakage. I've been through a few Roots and Adidas bags that tear pretty quickly but the Dakine one I have now seems much tougher. They're pretty solid bags as far as I can tell.

e: I have this one

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
I need a recommendation for a good microphone for my computer.

My computer is setup as a HTPC in the living room. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse on the couch, with the pc hooked up to my receiver and TV. I have two floorstanding speakers hooked up to the receiver, which handles the gaming systems and pc.

I'm getting tired of not being able to share my ramblings outside of type, so I'm looking for a microphone to use with this setup, I'd say everything's about 8 or 9 feet away.

I don't want a headset, I'd rather be able to speak like the other person was in the room, as I am a fancy-pants.

I'd like to stay under $50, but I really have no clue what I need, so any suggestions would be wonderful.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I need a recommendation for a good microphone for my computer.

My computer is setup as a HTPC in the living room. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse on the couch, with the pc hooked up to my receiver and TV. I have two floorstanding speakers hooked up to the receiver, which handles the gaming systems and pc.

I'm getting tired of not being able to share my ramblings outside of type, so I'm looking for a microphone to use with this setup, I'd say everything's about 8 or 9 feet away.

I don't want a headset, I'd rather be able to speak like the other person was in the room, as I am a fancy-pants.

I'd like to stay under $50, but I really have no clue what I need, so any suggestions would be wonderful.

I've used one like this: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/microphones/devices/221 and it was ok (but it was several years ago so maybe the models have changed). 8 foot cable though, so it might no be long enough.

Really any brand name mic will cut it for talking on skype or playing battlefield 20439882 or whatever.

There are various expensive options to look into if you're looking to record music or whatever, but they're a bit pointless if you just want to call everyone fuckwits in games or insult your friends via skype.

Edit: It occurs to me that I have never seen a wireless mocrophone that wasn't part of a headset, but I'm sure they exist if that's a big deal to you.

Edit edit: Or buy one of those super cheap bluetooth usb dongles and then literally any bluetooth mic you want.

TRIPLE EDIT:

To post a product recommendation of my own, Kirby Vacuum cleaners are pretty nice. My mum was "conned" into buying one in the early 80s, and dad kind of got the shits about it apparently, but it's still going fine 30 years later. It's needed a few replacement parts, but they're not overly expensive. It gets the carpets clean with minal effort, so I guess that's the mark of a good vacuum. Also, you can connect air powered tools to it which is kind of cool. I don't know if their new stuff is any good, but their late 70s / early 80s stuff is solid as hell.

It was this exact one:

Elector_Nerdlingen has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Aug 23, 2011

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to make a product recommendation and a reseller anti-recommendation.

I bought five 3TB Hitachi 7200RPM Deskstar hard drives, and they are great so far, I'd recommend them.

I would NOT recommend buying them as OEM units from Newegg. I bought five drives to put in my shiny new network attached storage box, and three of them were dead on arrival. They did not pack the drives very well.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
Any goon recommendations for facial creams or moisturizers? Age is catching up to me ;_;

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

overdesigned posted:

I would NOT recommend buying them as OEM units from Newegg. I bought five drives to put in my shiny new network attached storage box, and three of them were dead on arrival. They did not pack the drives very well.

Just wanted to second this, shipping hard drives the way they do is rip-roaring stupid. Go through anyone else at all.

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.

Chow-King posted:

Any goon recommendations for facial creams or moisturizers? Age is catching up to me ;_;

It's probably not the answer you're looking for, but simply eating better, exercising, and maybe trying the mineral oil/olive oil cleanse method will do much more for your skin than any topical treatment ever could.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Intern Dan posted:

Just wanted to second this, shipping hard drives the way they do is rip-roaring stupid. Go through anyone else at all.

Amazon is as as bad or worse.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Intern Dan posted:

I've never had a DOA item from Newegg personally, but general consensus seems to be that if you do get one, they're pretty good with customer service & issuing RMAs.

Is that not true anymore?

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

AlphaDog posted:

I've used one like this: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/microphones/devices/221 and it was ok (but it was several years ago so maybe the models have changed). 8 foot cable though, so it might no be long enough.

Really any brand name mic will cut it for talking on skype or playing battlefield 20439882 or whatever.

There are various expensive options to look into if you're looking to record music or whatever, but they're a bit pointless if you just want to call everyone fuckwits in games or insult your friends via skype.

Edit: It occurs to me that I have never seen a wireless mocrophone that wasn't part of a headset, but I'm sure they exist if that's a big deal to you.

Edit edit: Or buy one of those super cheap bluetooth usb dongles and then literally any bluetooth mic you want.

TRIPLE EDIT:

To post a product recommendation of my own, Kirby Vacuum cleaners are pretty nice. My mum was "conned" into buying one in the early 80s, and dad kind of got the shits about it apparently, but it's still going fine 30 years later. It's needed a few replacement parts, but they're not overly expensive. It gets the carpets clean with minal effort, so I guess that's the mark of a good vacuum. Also, you can connect air powered tools to it which is kind of cool. I don't know if their new stuff is any good, but their late 70s / early 80s stuff is solid as hell.

It was this exact one:

The bluetooth mic sounds like a good idea, I didn't know that was one of my cheaper options, thanks! :)

Also, that is the EXACT same vacuum we had growing up in the 80's, and I'm pretty sure my parents still have it at their new house. It was still going strong the last time I checked, so I'll second this recommendation.

weird.

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

lapse posted:

I've never had a DOA item from Newegg personally, but general consensus seems to be that if you do get one, they're pretty good with customer service & issuing RMAs.

Is that not true anymore?

It is, but you're put off around a week. I'd rather spend $5 more and have it arrive intact.

Didn't realize Amazon was as bad, I usually go with Fry's, Microcenter, or Tigerdirect.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I think amazon is YMMV. I've ordered probably 50 things over the past year from them, with maybe 1/4 of them being electronics, and none of it has arrived damaged.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Amazon is very hit and miss. Earlier this year, I received a large box containing: 3 music CDs, 1 5lb canister of protein powder, and 0 packing materials. Totally shattered the CD cases. Later on, I ordered $10 worth of cheap undershirts. Hanes or Fruit of the Loom in a plastic bag type deal. Paper was packed tightly in so that the bag of shirts, inside the cardboard box, would be incapable of moving around during shipping.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Trap Star posted:

I've got a Dakine bag, and I'm pretty sure they're guaranteed for life against breakage. I've been through a few Roots and Adidas bags that tear pretty quickly but the Dakine one I have now seems much tougher. They're pretty solid bags as far as I can tell.

e: I have this one

Seconding this. My girlfriend has a Dakine "camelbak" type bag and it's some tough business. My request is a little complicated. I need a recommendation for a home audio setup. Since I'm broke, I was going to get some computer speakers and get stands for them (so they'll at least look nicer) and put them on either side of our flatscreen, which has a digital audio output. That I can handle.

What I'd like is a good way to get my computer audio to play over these same speakers. I don't think an Apple Airport will do that, and I'm wondering if there's anything that is. If it helps, I think my laptop does have TV-out (just got it and it's in the shop having Vista wiped off of it) but if possible I'd like to do it wirelessly as those TV out cables are bulky and stupid looking, and the one I have means my computer would have to be pretty close to the TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendation on the speakers and stands to get would be nice. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and I'm not an audiophile so volume is more important than quality.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I am looking for a Keyboard for a Mac.

Price doesn't really matter as long as it's a full keyboard with the numeric keypad, and not that new and modern "flat" style that Apple loves. I just want an old-fashioned keyboard with raised keys. I can't even find the old Apple keyboards any more, and Logitech have jumped on the flat-key bandwagon too. :sigh:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

marshmallard posted:

Really? Only one response to this after all the love for the Litter Robot?

I just want some info about how bad it smells!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Crowley posted:

Price doesn't really matter as long as it's a full keyboard with the numeric keypad, and not that new and modern "flat" style that Apple loves. I just want an old-fashioned keyboard with raised keys. I can't even find the old Apple keyboards any more, and Logitech have jumped on the flat-key bandwagon too. :sigh:

Go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022

Get stuck for about 12 hours reading about keyboards.

Realise that the only one that will now satisfy you is about 400 bucks after you include customisation and shipping from Germany or somewhere.

Say "gently caress it" and buy a $5 Microsoft Keyboard And Mouse combination that you're still displeased with but not significantly more displeased with than you will now be with any other sub-$400 keyboard.

Cry into your Microsoft Keyboard And Mouse Combo Pack Deal.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Cry into your Microsoft Keyboard And Mouse Combo Pack Deal.

I'd love a MS keyboard, if they still made them with Apple keys..

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Crowley posted:

I'd love a MS keyboard, if they still made them with Apple keys..

I was joking about the rest of it, but read that thread. There's apple stuff in there, and keyboards where you can choose apple logos instead of windows logos and links to buy whateverthehell custom keycaps you like, including little apple logos or whatever.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ make really nice stuff.

Filco and Leopold do too, but gently caress if I can find their websites.

Or if you must must must have the official branding, jump on ebay and pay out of your arse for one of the old ones listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard

Keyboards are pretty personal, so anything I recommend as "I really liked this one" is probably not going to be the one you like the most.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Locus posted:

Amazon is very hit and miss. Earlier this year, I received a large box containing: 3 music CDs, 1 5lb canister of protein powder, and 0 packing materials. Totally shattered the CD cases. Later on, I ordered $10 worth of cheap undershirts. Hanes or Fruit of the Loom in a plastic bag type deal. Paper was packed tightly in so that the bag of shirts, inside the cardboard box, would be incapable of moving around during shipping.

For the record, I was speaking specifically to Amazon's packaging of HDDs. If they're the bulk pack OEM drives, they'll probably be in the plastic clamshell in the box... with nothing else. When I've ordered them from Newegg - which I've done twice in the last couple months - they've come in the clamshells wrapped in bubble wrap. I guess it just depends on if the person packing your order feels like a dick that day or not. v :) v

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AlphaDog posted:

I was joking about the rest of it, but read that thread. There's apple stuff in there, and keyboards where you can choose apple logos instead of windows logos and links to buy whateverthehell custom keycaps you like, including little apple logos or whatever.

Filco and Leopold do too, but gently caress if I can find their websites.

Or if you must must must have the official branding, jump on ebay and pay out of your arse for one of the old ones listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard

Keyboards are pretty personal, so anything I recommend as "I really liked this one" is probably not going to be the one you like the most.

I ended up buying a Unicomp Model M lookalike last year and hardly use it because it doesn't have fancy volume controls or special hotkeys and poo poo. Great for writing on, though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Just ordered one of their semi-custom boards with blank keys and everything set to black. Been trying to replace my Razer Lycosa for a year and kept getting sidetracked. The touch panel for media control spazzes out and all of the keys are so worn that the black wore off and they just glow blue through where the letters used to be.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

marshmallard posted:

Really? Only one response to this after all the love for the Litter Robot?

I just want some info about how bad it smells!

Its very good at keeping the smell down and changing out the bag is a lot easier than dumping litter every week. Its good to change out the litter once every few week, it tends to start smelling even when its getting cycled.

Unfortunately one of my cats absolutely hates the damned thing. He won't even use the other box that I have left for him if its too close to the robot. Even cutting up the shipping box to hide the stupid thing didn't help.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Bunk Rogers posted:

Its very good at keeping the smell down and changing out the bag is a lot easier than dumping litter every week. Its good to change out the litter once every few week, it tends to start smelling even when its getting cycled.

Unfortunately one of my cats absolutely hates the damned thing. He won't even use the other box that I have left for him if its too close to the robot. Even cutting up the shipping box to hide the stupid thing didn't help.

Ah that's good to know, thanks. Even one poo in the current litter tray is too much to bear smell-wise, so it'd be great to go a bit longer without choking to death on poo fumes (poomes?).

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I would recommend trying my suggestion if it's about the smell (most people like the LR more for the laziness factor). The Omega Paws is quick to empty, smells a bit less since it is hooded, and I empty it nightly and dump the tray into the litter locker.

I don't know what a cat could possibly have against the Litter Robot, but apparently my cat isn't the only one.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Crowley posted:

You are not limited to any kind of special MAC specific keyboard, just go shop around anywhere and find one that feels right. The keyboard might not come with a MAC driver for whatever silly special gimmick it has but you can usually find one online (or more likely you will find it so inconsequential that you will never give it a second thought.)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

clockworx posted:

I would recommend trying my suggestion if it's about the smell (most people like the LR more for the laziness factor). The Omega Paws is quick to empty, smells a bit less since it is hooded, and I empty it nightly and dump the tray into the litter locker.

I don't know what a cat could possibly have against the Litter Robot, but apparently my cat isn't the only one.

I'll definitely get a Litter Locker if it gets smelly, that looks like a good compromise :) thanks.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Circus Pies! posted:

You are not limited to any kind of special MAC specific keyboard, just go shop around anywhere and find one that feels right. The keyboard might not come with a MAC driver for whatever silly special gimmick it has but you can usually find one online (or more likely you will find it so inconsequential that you will never give it a second thought.)

PC USB keyboards works just fine on a Mac, but the Windows key becomes the Command key, and that's a problem. On a PC the keys are placed [CTRL][Windows][ALT], while on a Mac they are placed [CTRL][ALT][Command].

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've been using the Tidy Cat Breeze since it was recommended here and I love it. It uses clay pellets instead of litter so there is much less tracking it around on your floor. Pee runs down through a plastic grate in the bottom into an absorbent pad in the tray underneath so you never need to scoop it or smell it. You only have to scoop if there is poo.

Yes, the poo does smell initially, but it dries out pretty quick and then you don't smell it anymore. Somebody in the Amazon reviews said that the clay pellets dry out the poop extra fast to get rid of the smell, but I don't know if that's true or not. I will say I haven't smelled the poo unless it was really fresh and I was in the room with it.

I used the Omega Paws rolling litter box before this and I liked it a lot, but I have to say I like this much better. Really fits well with my hatred of messing with cat boxes. If you want to give it a shot, I recommend looking for it at PetSmart before buying it on Amazon, since I was able to get a really awesome deal on it with my store card.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Any nice, cheap espresso glasses you could recommend? I just got a free nespresso machine and coffee mugs don't quite fit the classy ambiance.

Edit: Can you just use regular shot glasses with hot espresso?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Econosaurus posted:

Any nice, cheap espresso glasses you could recommend? I just got a free nespresso machine and coffee mugs don't quite fit the classy ambiance.

Edit: Can you just use regular shot glasses with hot espresso?

I'm a fan of World Market's stacking mugs:

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Bunk Rogers posted:

I think I posted this before, but one of the cat people on Animal Planet suggested cats hate this system because it coats the whole inside of the box with poo and pee. It'd be like going to the bathroom if your bathroom were covered in traces of your own waste.

We just scoop the cat box (two boxes for two cats) even other day or so. I really love the Scoop Away multi Cat Litter because it clumps really well and does a good job absorbing odors, much better than Tidy Cat or Scoop Away.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
What's a good electric beard/stubble trimmer that has adjustable lengths? I've grown a weeks worth of beard/stubble for the first time, maybe around 1cm or less.. but want to maintain it at that length or be able to change/manage it at different lengths ranging from a close shave to a cm or two.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

FadingChord posted:

I'm a fan of World Market's stacking mugs:

Don't you just use the same mug or two again and again?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

particle409 posted:

Don't you just use the same mug or two again and again?

And? Don't think it matters much seeing as I drink coffee from the single same cup every day. If you use a few before you do dishes they'll cycle a bit, plus I feel like if you're getting this many mugs to begin with you're going to be counting on having enough company to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It would be better if they had a system whereby you remove the mug at the bottom to use it, and the others move down. That's the benefit of stacking things that way. You see it in use for the disposable plastic cups which come with water coolers.

Otherwise one might as well just own two or three mugs and put them in a cupboard.

• Locked thread