Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is there an issue I'm missing with pwnage 4.1.3 and the 3gs 4.2.1 ipsw? I can't get it to load, I can get it to see the 4.1 3gs ipsw, but that's giving me another issue in that it won't combine in the ipad baseband to the custom ipsw (I select it, it takes it, but once the phone is done, the baseband sticks at 5.14.2; which afaik cannot be unlocked.)

I'm behind a firewall that's blocking me from getting the baseband the redsn0w way; or I'd try that. Isn't it always the son of a friend's phone that is the biggest pain in the rear end to fix :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm on an iPod touch and want to make it work with a bluetooth phone headset. Is there a Cydia app/tweak/whathaveyou for that purpose? Most of the results I got googling for this had to do with listening to music over the thing, which I did manage to make work, but is not the goal.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
I just got a refurbished iPod Touch (3rd Gen) with iOS 3.1.3 on it. Jailbreakme.com recommends I upgrade to iOS 4.0, 3.1.3 fails to install. How can I do this without upgrading to the newest iOS? can you do the restore thing?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

I have a 3G that I want to sell. It is jailbroken - 4.2.1 & baseband 6.15.00. How would I wipe it clean and then jailbreak and unlock it again?

don't wipe settings-- gets locked in restore mode and is a pain. just load the custom ipsw to wipe it

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

to the surprise of absolutely nobody, winterboard does not quite work correctly with ios 5

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I've been away from the jailbreaking (hell, I've only got an iPhone 3G) for a bit, so a lot is new to me. After reading up, is Apple still signing the 4.0.1 firmware? With an already-jailbroken phone, can I update to 4.0.1 via iTunes and jailbreak using jailbreakme.com?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I could be wrong, but I don't think the 3G is affected by the whole SHSH signing thing and you SHOULD be able to move freely between all the supported OSes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Martytoof posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the 3G is affected by the whole SHSH signing thing and you SHOULD be able to move freely between all the supported OSes.

SHSH wasn't required until the new bootrom 3GS came out (early 3GS didn't need SHSH either).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
That's not true at all.

Not only do both new and old bootrom 3GS devices need SHSH blobs, but so does the 3G *for iOS 4.x firmwares*. They implemented the SHSH check in software for the 3G.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 20, 2011

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC the difference with the early bootrom 3GS is that it can always be pwned (with blackra1n or limera1n or a modified firmware).

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I can't seem to ever get into DFU mode. I have an iTouch 4.2.1 MC model, and I've tried all of the well known MC-compatible versions, but I've never been able to get into DFU under any circumstances. Is it possible that one of my buttons is broken and can't be held down properly?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

frumpsnake posted:

That's not true at all.

Not only do both new and old bootrom 3GS devices need SHSH blobs, but so does the 3G *for iOS 4.x firmwares*. They implemented the SHSH check in software for the 3G.

So if I stay below 4.x, I can ignore the TU necessity?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
New version of WifiSMS is on its way (today, maybe) for anyone who's interested.

Change log:

WifiSMS Change Log posted:

Added Start new conversation button with autocomplete
Added conversation deletion (hover over sidebar)
Added conversation download (Hover over top contact name)
Added basic iPhone Delivery support
Added URL parsing in SMS
Added text smileys to emoji ( credit @jrcdude )
Added sidebar re-ordering by date
Added new contacts creation dynamically into sidebar
Better SMS sending thanks to ( credit @johoja1 )
Fixed JSON issue
Better Number formatting
Sorting SMS by rowid instead of date
Fixed issue when starting app with no conversations

I personally am loving this app, for the same reason the developer created it; being able to send texts on the job without touching your phone!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I went ahead and gave WifiSMS a try tonight. Holy poo poo :monocle: This is awesome!

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I went ahead and gave WifiSMS a try tonight. Holy poo poo :monocle: This is awesome!

Agreed! Probably one of the simplest, but best apps I've used in a while.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Anybody try FlashCam yet? It puts buttons for flashlight/camera on your lock screen. It's pretty cool...but it has one really ugly bug, as far as I can tell:

The camera is supposed to have a PIN bypass which is supposed to let you use the camera without unlocking the phone and then lock it again when you're done...the unlock works, but it never locks the phone when you close the camera app.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I discovered a rather unusual bug and I have no idea what's causing it, because I don't remember installing anything recently that might gently caress with it; I can't slide to answer calls. Anybody have a clue as to what could be causing this? I'm running 4.3.1 on an Iphone 4, and I'd loving love to know why my phone is being such a jerk.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Turns out the latest WifiSMS update wasn't so great, especially with the addition of emoticons without the ability to disable them.

edit: the fix I was going to propose for this seems to give inconsistent results.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2011

plumpy
Dec 5, 2005
I've been having a few issues with my iPhone 4, and I'm thinking they might be jailbreak/unlock related. I'm running 4.3.3, but I forgot what I jailbroke with, whatever the easy one was for 4.3.3. Im on AT&T, but I unlocked with snowbreeze to get rid of the annoying one-signal-bar-all-the-time poo poo.

Anyway, from time to time my wifi seems to stop working. The icon will be there with full bars, but I cant actually load websites, etc. It comes back (at least briefly) if I go to settings->wifi->off then back on. Not the worst thing, but kind of annoying when I have to do it 5 or 6 times in the span of half an hour.

Problem two is the visual voicemail, which I'm thinking is probably related to the unlock. Voicemails no longer seem to show up there, and I don't seem to get any alerts. I have to guess when I think I have a voicemail, and call in to hear any messages. I hadn't experienced this before my most recent jailbreak/unlock.

Anyone else experience these problems or can possibly shed some insight here?

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Hah I just discovered WifiSMS yesterday, and came here to post about it. Glorious. Few small bugs but overall very usable. Sitting on the couch, sending texts with my ipad... mm.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

About a month ago, I completely got the shits with Apple. I was going to break my contract and get a HTC of some sort, but it's going to be a bit more than I can afford.

Jailbreaking looks much easier than it used to, but I have one question first - I've jsut requested a phone unlock via my mobile company. They said wait 48 hours then sync with iTunes and it should be unlocked.

Can I jailbreak in the mean time or will that gently caress everything up completely?

Edit: Turns out I don't care. We'll see what happens when I try to unlock it, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 25, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
WifiSMS looks awesome if I actually texted people, and if I didn't use GV. Is there a good site to follow for really cool jailbroken apps/tweaks like this one?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ziir posted:

WifiSMS looks awesome if I actually texted people, and if I didn't use GV. Is there a good site to follow for really cool jailbroken apps/tweaks like this one?

Yep: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396&pagenumber=24#lastpost

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Kind of interesting news: Comex is apparently starting an internship at Apple next week.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I'm using the Suave WinterBoard theme and love it, except that it uses its own boring gray gradient wallpaper instead of the one I've got set (though it returns to the system wallpaper when a folder's open, teasing me..) Is there a way to disable theme wallpapers that I'm not seeing, or is the best way to get my wallpaper to show up just SSHing in to find and replace Suave's wallpaper image?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

airspiritx posted:

I'm using the Suave WinterBoard theme and love it, except that it uses its own boring gray gradient wallpaper instead of the one I've got set (though it returns to the system wallpaper when a folder's open, teasing me..) Is there a way to disable theme wallpapers that I'm not seeing, or is the best way to get my wallpaper to show up just SSHing in to find and replace Suave's wallpaper image?

If you SSH in, just delete the wallpaper or lock background (whatever it is named) file from the theme and you can use your own background again.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

maduin posted:

Kind of interesting news: Comex is apparently starting an internship at Apple next week.

Does that mean he won't be able to do jailbreak work?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Does that mean he won't be able to do jailbreak work?

That's how I read it. No more jailbreak help from him. In fact, he's probably working with Apple to improve security, making it more difficult for others to jailbreak.

Edit, I just had to double check - JailbreakQA was put up with Comex's help as well. I wonder if anything will happen to that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But my themes! :(

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
There will always be someone new and better who comes along...in time :(

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

HorseDickSandwich posted:

If you SSH in, just delete the wallpaper or lock background (whatever it is named) file from the theme and you can use your own background again.

Is it possible to psuedotheme without Winterboard yet? I just want to replace the icon for a few apps and I don't think that warrants installing such an invasive hack.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Ziir posted:

Is it possible to psuedotheme without Winterboard yet? I just want to replace the icon for a few apps and I don't think that warrants installing such an invasive hack.

Just use SSH and replace the existing icon with the one you want to use.

Directory for applications on the phone is private/var/stash/applications, if I am remembering it off the top of my head correctly.

Look for icon@2x.png for the retina icon and replace it with your version.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My iphone appears to be having issues. I only have a few patches installed on it and every time I turn it on the radio has crashed and there's "No Service." The only way to fix this is to fully reboot the phone where it works for a bit and then it crashes again. It seems that the crashes happen when I get text messages. Usually one will go through and after that and a little while has passed it crashes out.

Anyone know why this happens? About to just say gently caress it and ditch jailbreaking because this is becoming a major problem. My phone is a CDMA running 4.2.8 with redsn0w.

Edit: actually the only patch I have installed is Manual Correct.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ziir posted:

People were theming before WinterBoard existed. WinterBoard just made theming easier. Like it was pointed out, you just have to manually replace the files on your device (really easy with something like FileZilla/SFTP).

Just look at the file names used in the themes and replace the actual files with those to theme without having to use WinterBoard.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

About a month ago, I completely got the shits with Apple. I was going to break my contract and get a HTC of some sort, but it's going to be a bit more than I can afford.

Jailbreaking looks much easier than it used to, but I have one question first - I've jsut requested a phone unlock via my mobile company. They said wait 48 hours then sync with iTunes and it should be unlocked.

Can I jailbreak in the mean time or will that gently caress everything up completely?

Edit: Turns out I don't care. We'll see what happens when I try to unlock it, I guess.

Just an update, the unlocking worked fine with a jailbroken phone, even though iTunes didn't display "phone successfully unlocked" even when I tried a different SIM but the new SIM worked so I guess the unlock worked.

Now, apart from sbSettings (which is pretty nice), I really can't figure out what to do with the jailbroken phone. Theming usually looks pretty crap to me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong (find themes that look nice on the internet, use Cydia to download them, apply them using Winterboard).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 29, 2011

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AlphaDog posted:

Just an update, the unlocking worked fine with a jailbroken phone, even though iTunes didn't display "phone successfully unlocked" even when I tried a different SIM but the new SIM worked so I guess the unlock worked.

Now, apart from sbSettings (which is pretty nice), I really can't figure out what to do with the jailbroken phone. Theming usually looks pretty crap to me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong (find themes that look nice on the internet, use Cydia to download them, apply them using Winterboard).

BiteSMS, hands down, the most useful Jailbroken app for me. I paid for it when it was still $12 and it was worth every penny. :toot: Secondary is LockInfo, but iOS5 has changed that.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Kazy posted:

BiteSMS, hands down, the most useful Jailbroken app for me. I paid for it when it was still $12 and it was worth every penny. :toot: Secondary is LockInfo, but iOS5 has changed that.

Assuming the jailbreaking scene stays active well into iOS5, I still have every intention of using LockInfo over the native notification center. LockInfo is user extensible and themeable. I know most people aren't big on themes, but I've been using Glasklart for like 3 years now, and absolutely love having a very muted, greyscale theme. Much easier on the eyes. And being able to add user extensions to LockInfo has been pretty fantastic too. I've got 4 people in my favorites list for phone calls, and that's exactly the width of the favorites panel in LockInfo, so I can just bring up the people I call most frequently there and call them without ever unlocking my phone. It's a pretty minor thing, but still useful.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Hopefully you guys will be able to steer me in the right direction. I spilled some water on my phone a month ago, but my phone seems to work fine other than the home button constantly spazzes like its stuck double pressing. For the most part it has been fine only happening once or twice a day but for the last few days it has been going on for hours at a time. The only way I can stop it is if I hold down the home button and it may go away for a few seconds.

Is there any way I can disable the hardware function of the home button, but keep the software function? Like right now I can use Activator to do the same action as pressing the home button, but I have not been able to find a way to disable the hardware part of the home button. I tried incarcerapp app but that also disable the action in Activator.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AlphaDog posted:

Check out the jailbreak app compatibility doc for some of the apps goons are using:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Am I correct in assuming that iPhones from the Apple Store will have 4.3.5 loaded on them by default since it's been out a few weeks now? My home button only works half the time and only having a tethered jb will be annoying...

• Locked thread