Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BlindSite posted:

Anyone have recommendation for a good after training spray to prevent getting anything, I shower when I get home but I'd still rather play it safe and I don't think our mats get cleaned as regularly as they should, i really don't want to end up with staph. A friend of mine got it recently (another gym) and it's scared the poo poo out of me.

I use Kenshield (it got a new name recently, KS creme or something like that). You put it on before practice and it is good for a few hours. A lot of wrestling teams use it. A can is about $20 but lasts for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I use Kenshield (it got a new name recently, KS creme or something like that). You put it on before practice and it is good for a few hours. A lot of wrestling teams use it. A can is about $20 but lasts for a couple months.

Cheers.

Also for the dude who signed up in sydney.

Do more core work, and if you don't do more work on your back and triceps, grip strength is pretty big too as mentioned.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So i just started with the whole BJJ thing a few months back and apart from bruises on my upper arms and chest, and scratches on my neck I've been relatively injury-free. I say relatively because a couple of weeks ago I jammed my left big toe which hurt like a bastard. I was rolling with one of our blue belts yesterday and I tried to stop my self from getting swept, and jammed the hell out of my right big toe. I was limping a bit all day but I didn't think it was too bad until I came home from work and noticed that the whole drat toe was swollen and either purple or a very frightening shade of red.

What the hell can I do to prevent this from happening?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

goml23 posted:

So i just started with the whole BJJ thing a few months back and apart from bruises on my upper arms and chest, and scratches on my neck I've been relatively injury-free. I say relatively because a couple of weeks ago I jammed my left big toe which hurt like a bastard. I was rolling with one of our blue belts yesterday and I tried to stop my self from getting swept, and jammed the hell out of my right big toe. I was limping a bit all day but I didn't think it was too bad until I came home from work and noticed that the whole drat toe was swollen and either purple or a very frightening shade of red.

What the hell can I do to prevent this from happening?

Posting a leg out with your toes pointing down will almost always end up hurting, and isn't even a very good post. Try to have more surface area on the mat. Either the bottom of your foot should be on the ground, or your ankles should be flat with your shin and the top of your foot down. If ever your foot is pointed in a way that your contact with the ground is toes-first, try to curl your toes back so the pads hit the ground and grip, instead of the tips.

I stubbed my toe doing rockbacks last week. I'm sometimes too dumb for warmups.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass

generatrix posted:

Posting a leg out with your toes pointing down will almost always end up hurting, and isn't even a very good post. Try to have more surface area on the mat. Either the bottom of your foot should be on the ground, or your ankles should be flat with your shin and the top of your foot down. If ever your foot is pointed in a way that your contact with the ground is toes-first, try to curl your toes back so the pads hit the ground and grip, instead of the tips.

I stubbed my toe doing rockbacks last week. I'm sometimes too dumb for warmups.

Yeah, they ended up going over that with me after I told them what happened. I did that more out of instinct than skill, because at this point that's all I have.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In this video from the Ultimate Absolute, can anyone tell me the name of the move at 9.30?

It's the one where Rustam has a north/south control when Galvao is turtled. Rustam sort of does a sit out and spins Galvao at the same time.

Also, Galvao looks like 50 cent.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

huh posted:

In this video from the Ultimate Absolute, can anyone tell me the name of the move at 9.30?

It's the one where Rustam has a north/south control when Galvao is turtled. Rustam sort of does a sit out and spins Galvao at the same time.

Also, Galvao looks like 50 cent.
I don't know what the name of the move is but it is one that we learn at our school. Rustam does it out of double overs but I've seen it more out of front headlock. You step out to the same side as the trapped arm. It is a counter to your opponent getting into 4 point stance. You notice Rustam hits it as Galvao start to lift his hips up.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Has anyone here had a personal experience with MRSA? I was diagnosed with it about a week and a half ago and initially scared the poo poo out of me. I did not have anything gross, per se (no holes, nothing that you see on google images), I had a couple of blisters on my knee that were yellowish in color when I got it checked out. I got put on a 2 week supply of Septra, though I might be on the generic sulfameth/tmp ds. But I am just wondering if any one experienced anything similar and how your results were, how long it took to get out of your system. I have been training for 3 years and never encountered this until now and always keep myself and my gear clean, and I know the gym keeps the mats relatively clean, but you never know, especially when it comes to training partners. I obviously have been off the mats since then, and have not gotten another blister since.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I've had staph but not MRSA. MRSA is like the resilient cousin of it. It took me along time to get rid of staph due to reinfections. You should clean everything you have. Wash your pillow slips, sheets, wash all your towels and clothes. I had it on my face and had to throw out my razor so watch for that too.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I got staph(from getting my haircut of all things). I was prescribed 10 days of medicine, and at the end of those 10 days I didn't have staph anymore.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had several recurrent MRSA infections over the course of a few months 6 years ago. Can be very painful. Take your antibiotics properly, wash everything on HOT cycle, use clean towels after every shower. I went further and took diluted bleach baths often. Apply warm compresses to draw the infection out. Don't try to pop any if they come to a head, they can very easily spread just underneath the skin. MRSA sucks, good luck.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
is taking a bleach bath really recommended? even diluted that seems like it would be pretty bad for you.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I got a hold of my dermatologist today with regards of a follow up, and she just said as long as I don't get anymore recurring blisters/boils and finish out my supply of antibiotics, I'll be fine to return to training. She also suggested I get this stuff called hibiclens from walgreens or cvs and wash exposed parts of my body (arms, legs) with that stuff about twice a week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

is taking a bleach bath really recommended? even diluted that seems like it would be pretty bad for you.

Bleach and Chlorine are extremely similar, same with bromine, you'll find the former and the latter in pools and spas, so if it's diluted down to like 3ppm in the bath water you'll be fine.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
All things aside, as long as I stay healthy, I'm pretty pumped about UFC 136 coming to Houston, which is where I live. I plan on competing at Grapplers Quest at the fan expo, as I have not done an actual Grapplers Quest yet. This might be the first time Grapplers Quest has been to Houston, but I am not sure. It was supposed to be here on July 30, but got pushed to the fan expo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Got class tonight, been having some trouble lately with this dude who's a former wrestler, big unit as I usually struggle with who is pretty adept at trapping one of my legs under his knee/shin when he's looking to pass. He's too strong and wide for me to hold properly in a closed guard and I can usually play open for a while and I've snatched a share of triangles and armbars but it's still a flaw I'm suffering because of.

I manage at times to get my leg/ foot back inside to a butterfly position where I can look to stall or sweep but any advice would be appreciated. Almost forgot to add, against the bigger dudes I've found I can take a deep half and look to escape out and take their back with a bit of success, mostly because they're slower and I can squirt out a bit easier with a hard bridge and push in their arm pit. Any other suggestions?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

hopper2k posted:

All things aside, as long as I stay healthy, I'm pretty pumped about UFC 136 coming to Houston, which is where I live. I plan on competing at Grapplers Quest at the fan expo, as I have not done an actual Grapplers Quest yet. This might be the first time Grapplers Quest has been to Houston, but I am not sure. It was supposed to be here on July 30, but got pushed to the fan expo.

my buddy training up in OKC is coming down for that with a bunch of guys from Lovatos. I think its going to be a pretty big event.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

my buddy training up in OKC is coming down for that with a bunch of guys from Lovatos. I think its going to be a pretty big event.

Yeah, for sure! I think I am only doing the nogi portion on that Friday. I would love to do gi, which is on that Saturday, but I'm afraid it could get delayed (like all tournaments), and the last thing I want to do is frantically change out of my gear while racing to the arena for the event. Hell, I should just show up to the Toyota Center in my gi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

many people I know wear their gi pants and rash guard under a hoody or coat with their stuff in the pockets. You can throw the gi top and belt on in about 30 seconds but you don't have to walk around like the karate kid all day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
World Judo Championships were streamed on ESPN3 this morning and are still available for replay, in case anybody is interested.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm loving grappling and thinking of adding a BJJ school, there is a decent one in the city I work in and they train a lot. I really like my Atama double weave for Judo, what do you guys recommend for a bjj gi? Is Atama goldweave worth the price? They look like awesome gi's and I'd rather buy one that will last me a long time and spend half on a cheap gi I will have to replace in a few months or hard training.

http://atama-kimonos.com/products/kimonos/gold/New%20White/new%20white.htm

Or in black, doesn't matter to me I just don't want blue because my Judogi is blue and I leave my house at early hours and I don't want to grab the wrong one.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
You can use your judo gi, the gold weave is just lighter than the double weave. My very first gi was an atama gold weave and the jacket is still going strong. The pants lasted about 2 years.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm not using my Judogi, the jacket is like 7lbs and its so loose i'll get wrapped like a mummy in it. The double weave I bought is so thick and coarse its really hard on peoples hands too, way too hot for grappling in doing anything but Judo. I will also need another gi because I will be training 5-6 days a week between the two classes.

Thanks for the feedback though, 2+ years sounds great!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

if you are training 5-6 days per week, I would consider having three gis, if your budget will allow. Padilla & Son make some very nice gis that are criminally underpriced for their quality. They are cut pretty similarly to atamas as well. Either the gold weave or single weave will last you 2+ plus years.

http://www.matrat.us/

Personally I have 5 gis so I can do a single large load at the end of every week, and I have an extra in case I miss laundry day. I've been training for about 5 years so I basically bought a gi a year. Even my first gi, a five year old Atama, is still in good shape, so quality gis do hold up if you treat them right.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 31, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TwistedNails posted:

I'm not using my Judogi, the jacket is like 7lbs and its so loose i'll get wrapped like a mummy in it. The double weave I bought is so thick and coarse its really hard on peoples hands too, way too hot for grappling in doing anything but Judo. I will also need another gi because I will be training 5-6 days a week between the two classes.

Thanks for the feedback though, 2+ years sounds great!

Judo gis work fine for BJJ. The coarse weave that makes grabbing tough is a feature, not a drawback.

As far as buying more gis, I love mizuno but consider Fuji to be the best bang for the buck. They make BJJ gis as well.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
What online stores do you guys recommend for buying BJJ gis?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Budovideos.com probably has the biggest selection, Amazon is a good bet too.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Well I wanted to start this week so looks like I will be using my judogi tomorrow for class.

Thanks Xguard86 I might buy a Padilla & Son goldweave, that looks like a steal for the price.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

TwistedNails posted:

Thanks Xguard86 I might buy a Padilla & Son goldweave, that looks like a steal for the price.

Do it, I've got one, it's fantastic. Everything you could want in cut and quality. There's a guy at my gym with a high quality X Guard gi and the only real difference is in the detailing and cosmetics. Padilla has the absolute best and most secure stitching and reinforcement of any gi I've ever personally handled.

widunder
May 2, 2002
If I'm an A2 in Koral, will A2 fit well in P&S?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fangs404 posted:

What online stores do you guys recommend for buying BJJ gis?

I've used both Kodokangear.com and budovideos.com and been happy with both of them. If you're in the LA area Budovideos also has a very small storefront in their warehouse where you can just go pick stuff up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.grapplearts.com/ryanhall/

This is a pretty good interview with Ryan Hall. I don't always agree with his theories but he has a very cerebral approach to training and I find it's usually worth reading when he goes into detail on things.

Horse Cock Johnson
Feb 11, 2005

Speed has everything to do with it. You see, the speed of the bottom informs the top how much pressure he's supposed to apply. Speed's the name of the game.
Is it even worth it to sign up for BJJ classes if you can only train one or two times per week?

Currently, I train MMA anywhere from 1 to 3 times per week and our coach rotates weekly between teaching grappling, striking, and clinch work. I really enjoy the grappling and my school has a highly-regarded program but my schedule would only permit me to attend 1 or 2 classes per week. Would it even be worth it or is that not nearly enough mat time to make any sort of progress?

I'm not trying to be the next ADCC champ or anything, I just want to supplement the exposure I get via my MMA classes and eventually start to get better. My gut says once or twice a week is better than zero times per week but I really have no idea what to expect.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Horse Cock Johnson posted:

Is it even worth it to sign up for BJJ classes if you can only train one or two times per week?

Yes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lol986n2_UU&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuEqBEUYBQ&hd=1

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So I've been training for about 6 weeks or so and while I'm getting better, I'm still having trouble with hip movement and not giving my arms up all over the place. That said, I've agreed to this. Someone please tell me that this is a great idea and that I'm not just paying $75 to get strangled with my clothes.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

goml23 posted:

So I've been training for about 6 weeks or so and while I'm getting better, I'm still having trouble with hip movement and not giving my arms up all over the place. That said, I've agreed to this. Someone please tell me that this is a great idea and that I'm not just paying $75 to get strangled with my clothes.

Even if you get smashed in the first round you'll learn a lot. In addition to having concrete stuff to work on before/after the tournament you'll learn a lot about competing. There's a big difference between competing and rolling in the gym(nerves, pace, intensity, strategy and so on) and the more you compete the better you'll get at it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

http://www.grapplearts.com/ryanhall/

This is a pretty good interview with Ryan Hall. I don't always agree with his theories but he has a very cerebral approach to training and I find it's usually worth reading when he goes into detail on things.

When you say you don't agree with his theories are you talking about when he said guard was dead or whatever? I thought that was monumentally dumb, but everything else he's said in interviews or on his dvds have made a lot of sense to me.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass

dokomoy posted:

Even if you get smashed in the first round you'll learn a lot. In addition to having concrete stuff to work on before/after the tournament you'll learn a lot about competing. There's a big difference between competing and rolling in the gym(nerves, pace, intensity, strategy and so on) and the more you compete the better you'll get at it.

I figure at the very least I'll get the first tournament jitters out of the way and this will force me to train more than I have already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

dokomoy posted:

When you say you don't agree with his theories are you talking about when he said guard was dead or whatever? I thought that was monumentally dumb, but everything else he's said in interviews or on his dvds have made a lot of sense to me.

he never even actually said "guard is dead" it was really that he wasn't going to lay on the bottom fishing for triangles and instead look to get on top and/or the back and finish from there. Now, every black belt I've ever met has had exactly that gameplan so I dunno why it took Hall this long to come to that conclusion.