Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

To be fair a simple recurve bow is nothing unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

randombattle posted:

To be fair a simple recurve bow is nothing unique.

Considering most fantasy games have no trouble coming up with wild designs for their bows, they could come up with some more creative ideas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, they shouldn't be encouraging Archery.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's the making's of a good set there, but... Quarry... Quarry alone just isn't enough. :negative:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's an article up now about the Cryptic/Perfect World transition. Some important things: Atari points transfer over, just as "cryptic points" (and the icon in-game's already changed), unless you've bought them for other Atari games and never spent them on a Cryptic game for some reason. Lifetime subs are still valid. Cryptic accounts remain separate from Perfect World accounts, at least for the time being. Mostly pretty expected results overall.

http://champions-online.com/transition_faq

Also launching today are the Phase 4 hideout stuff, including "Primal Cave" and "Alchemist Sanctum". Also the Black Talon Armored Suit transformation item, which does... uh, stuff I guess and looks pretty nifty, but it isn't up on the PTR as of this writing and gently caress paying for it just to tell you the powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Primal Cave is kind of cool. While not as large a change to the location as Druidic is for Sanctum, it does swap out every last bit of technology for crystals/torches/etc. so it feels like a totally different thing.

Alchemist Sanctum is just too close to Mystic. It's cool if you don't own a Sanctum already, but if you already have Mystic it's probably not worth full price. Wait for an inevitable hideout sale in a few months.

The 60s Moon Base was the same way. Too few new options to make it worth picking up unless you didn't already own one.

Black Talon powers:
Rocket Jump travel power.
The EB is Gunslinger with the Trick Shot advantage, with new names. Shot from the gun arm of the suit.
Beatdown from Might.
SMG, again shot from the gun arm with a new name.
The new Mighty Kick Might just got.
Micro Munitions.
Support Drones (With the new dark skin they just added.)
Tanglecoil Launcher.
Orbital Cannon, with Anvil of Dawn. It's called mk II but as far as I can tell that's just for flavor.
Destroyer Wave, which seems to be a power boosted version of Force Eruption with a cooldown.
Targeting Computer.

Edit: Destroyer Wave is the new Energy Wave power from Power Armor.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 18, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Black Talon suit here is definitely one of the more impressive transformation items they've done, easily; they've really gotten into the swing of making unique power animations that take advantage of the pre-set costumes, like the missile launchers that open up to fire. I got to admit, I'm hoping some of the costume bits become available in chargen at some point, especially the chaingun arm. Also still praying for eventual Power Armor revamp, especially since the suit here shows you can have properly-scaled and maintain-charged micro munitions and chaingun and the like and it still works perfectly fine, dammit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's pretty broken on Live right now, though. Stats don't work, they're all set at 5 (With the Superstat bonus boosting those two to 85 at 40) and it doesn't have Support Drones.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

And the female version is dumb as gently caress because the female character model just doesn't work for things that are big and power armor-y. It looks awful, especially if you view them side by side.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty broken on Live right now, though. Stats don't work, they're all set at 5 (With the Superstat bonus boosting those two to 85 at 40) and it doesn't have Support Drones.

FlyinPingu posted:

And the female version is dumb as gently caress because the female character model just doesn't work for things that are big and power armor-y. It looks awful, especially if you view them side by side.
Oogh, that bug sounds horrible. At least the PTR one seems to work alright though, so presumably that'd be fixed. Not that I'd pay for one, but it's the first transformation item that's tempted me to hit the AH for one.

And yeah, it's a pain in the rear end to get female armor to look... not stupid. The Tesla chestpiece cuts out some of the lines for example, but then you wind up with a wasp waist, and... yeah it just doesn't work well. Also hilarious though is apparently you can stack the Black Talon item and the Super Magnifier and wind up ludicrously large.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Asimo posted:

And yeah, it's a pain in the rear end to get female armor to look... not stupid.

I know this well. An old favorite of mine is Iron Maiden, who was basically a woman who bought some decommissioned Cold-War era power armor.

I think it looks alright. It made a bit more sense when she was more martial arts based, but then I realized martial arts sucks and power armor doesn't play nice with anything. Oh well, that's what retcons are for.

Then she hit Level 25 and I needed to come up with a Nemesis. I thought, "Maybe someone who bought the Iron Maiden Mrk II?" Make it like the Hulkbuster Iron Man Armor or something.

...yeah.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm revamping Nixon's costume but I can't think of any good color combos for the power armor. Any ideas?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I'm revamping Nixon's costume but I can't think of any good color combos for the power armor. Any ideas?

Dark grey or Navy blue, white and black. Match it as close to a suit as you can.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Best female power armor I've come up with so far was this:

Grandma built a power armor suit with growth capabilities to GET THOSE GODDAMNED KIDS OFF HER LAWN. I made the head as tiny as I could, to make it appear as if it was a tiny woman in a big armor suit. The waist is pretty much stuck at Barbie proportions, but if you apply imagination and figure how small Grandma herself is, you can chalk it off to artistic design rather than scoliosis.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like there'll be a 20% off sale in the C-Store, starting on the 22nd and lasting for a week. I imagine as usual that the most recent stuff will be exempted (the Black Talon armor, the sci-fi set, the recent Hideout options), but there may be some surprises like the original Hideout releases being discounted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Looks like there'll be a 20% off sale in the C-Store, starting on the 22nd and lasting for a week. I imagine as usual that the most recent stuff will be exempted (the Black Talon armor, the sci-fi set, the recent Hideout options), but there may be some surprises like the original Hideout releases being discounted.

Where did you see that?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Where did you see that?
Through my PSYCHIC CLAIRVOYANCE. :colbert:

Or an E-mail that was sent out about an hour ago. One of the two.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Isn't it anniversary time as well?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Isn't it anniversary time as well?

That's the 1st.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This was on page 2, so double post it is.

Has anyone played Sorcery? Looking for some build recommendations. The 4 schools thing makes it kind of annoying to work out. I'm hoping for a build that avoids pets.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's somewhat of an obnoxious set yeah, and the pets tend to be... ehn. Radiant Summoning is pretty much objectively inferior to support bots in every respect even before you add on the advantage-tax for it to be always up, for example. But build-wise? Depends what you're doing really. Sorcery's "strength" seems to be in being able to set up a field of pain around them, and you'll probably want to pick a role and focus on it. Grab the appropriate Sigil power, the appropriate Circle power, and probably either Aura of Primal Majesty (and Enrage) or Aura of Radiant Protection depending whether you want to DPS or tank more. Seraphim or Shadow Form also work for DPS, but considering Sorcery tends to be more support the Auras are usually better choices.

Sorcery is definitely a bit shy on good attacks though. The sigils can hurt quite a bit, and Skarn's Bane is probably one of the most powerful cone-area attacks in the game, even if the buff/energy form-removal matters less in PVE. Arcane Vitality and Vala's Light are both really good heals too, even if they're more "traditional" ones with cast times than something like BCR or Bionic Shielding. Even if you're dead set against pets, it might not be a bad idea to grab March of the Dead; it's not really a traditional summon power, and it does crazy damage at rank 3. You'll probably need to go out of set for a strong single-target attack, but the Auras are damage type agnostic and Shadow Form/Seraphim gives you some options from Telekinesis.

Honestly my experience with Sorcery is sort of clunky, being split between multiple sub-trees like it is and because there's a lot of crowd control powers (which are pretty useless in PVE) and a lot of mutually exclusive powers (you can't stack Circles and Sigils). Still, there's some good stuff in there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Power Armour is hilarious, and brilliant to play around Silvers who've not seen it before.

MINI GUN AND MUNITIONS FOR ALL AHAHAHAHAHAHA :circlefap:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jetpacks were accidentally released on the PTS. They're currently bugged and using normal Flight's speed and charge mechanics, but Ame said that's a mistake. They're supposed to use Jet Boots according to the tooltip, and they do use Jet Boots animations.

It does appear as if they might actually be chargeable though, because they do have a charging animation. They've already done this with the Destroid Become device's Jet Boots, so the mechanic is already there.

It doesn't replace your back piece either, it just animates it. Currently if you don't have a jetpack on it just grants regular flight, I don't know if this is going to change to a swap like Phoenix Flight does or what.

The new Jetpack skins are not up, though. We still have to wait to see those.

It works with all the current jet packs (Including Giant Rocket which looks awesome), except for Exclusive Retro Future.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't replace your back piece either, it just animates it. Currently if you don't have a jetpack on it just grants regular flight, I don't know if this is going to change to a swap like Phoenix Flight does or what.
Oh my. :monocle: That's a pretty big change in how powers work. If they have interaction with costume pieces now, that opens up a whole lot of potential in the future.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If they put in power armor weapon costume pieces and made them animate when you used the appropriate attacks like with that PA transform item I might retcon my old PA character back from Gadget. I only switched her last week since she sat unused for months.

As an aside, Gadget is a LOT of fun! Even though I'm not used to the set the robot buddies mean I have a serous crutch if I'm taking too much damage or not doing enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Oh my. :monocle: That's a pretty big change in how powers work. If they have interaction with costume pieces now, that opens up a whole lot of potential in the future.

Well not really, Flight has always done it with Wings.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Well not really, Flight has always done it with Wings.
Okay, true. I forgot that entirely. :downs: But that said...

Death Himself posted:

If they put in power armor weapon costume pieces and made them animate when you used the appropriate attacks like with that PA transform item I might retcon my old PA character back from Gadget. I only switched her last week since she sat unused for months.
I'm not sure it's quite the same tech here sadly, but dang it would be nice still. Especially if they could throw on dedicated costume pieces like the Black Talon ones, yeah.

quote:

As an aside, Gadget is a LOT of fun! Even though I'm not used to the set the robot buddies mean I have a serous crutch if I'm taking too much damage or not doing enough.
It'll be even better in a few days, once they toss on the new ray gun powers. But as it is, Gadgeteering went from one of the weaker sets to one of the best, especially as support sets go; the pets are by far the best in the game, across the board. Even the humble attack toys get some of crazy once they finish the ramp up time and get a swarm of them out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, since I apparently missed adding it: concept art for the next eventually-impending melee weapons pack!

Yes, that does appear to be an electric guitar axe. Yeah, I think I'm sold.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I see a future for fighting claws!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The one claw with the tubes preforms the shocker on your target

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Got another locked CC category: Best Use of Electric Blue.

The winner will be nobody. Nobody looks good in electric blue.

Since you jerks (Except jjac and BlueDestiny, but most of theirs fit the second better) don't seem to be making suggestions for the first CC, I am going to fill them out. Still open to suggestions, we can easily swap these out.

1) Lightning Round*
2) Female costume most likely to be created by a male
3) Costume that best represents the number I was thinking of*
4) Costume that makes the dead pixel in the middle of my screen turn the prettiest color*
5) Costume I closed my eyes and pointed to*
6) Costume I would buy if it went on sale but not at full price*
7) Person Who Gave the Judges the Largest Bribe*
8) Largest Disconnect Between Character Name and Appearance
9) Costume that most makes me hungry for a Quizno's Chicken Carbonara sub. Combo. With the soup. All you have is broccoli cheese? Nevermind, I'll take the chips.*
10) Character that most closely resembles their player.

Categories with asterisks are just going to be general choice. The others have a bit more specific requirements, but still pretty open.

Now I need to know what the best day/time for most people is, because we need as many people as possible there. That and judge volunteers. Post!

godlovesninjas (Not sure of forum name), whaaaat (Doesn't post here for some reason), and Rufus (delfin) have all agreed to judge at some point. Bluhman said he's in if he's available, jjac hasn't actually said yes but I assume from his actually helping that he's in.

Even if you're not judging you better show up for The Lightning Round at least. We need a lot of people for that to work.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 23, 2011

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know of a site with good build guides for post free to play? I have two characters, a munitions specialized character and a Grimoir AT, both level 10, but it's a bit overwhelming and I don't know if I'm doing right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Does anyone know of a site with good build guides for post free to play? I have two characters, a munitions specialized character and a Grimoir AT, both level 10, but it's a bit overwhelming and I don't know if I'm doing right.

Your best bet is the Builds and Roles forum on the official site. CO doesn't really have fansites like other MMOs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Archetypes are static enough you can't really do that much wrong. There's only a handful of power choices and they're binary; just play around a bit in the training room and see what works for you. If you need my suggestions there, I can offer.

Most of the Archetype power customization is in Advantages, and... well, honestly you can't really mess that up much? It's a little daunting, but considering you'll be getting use out of everything you have (in general), nothing's really wasted. You'll likely want to get your primary AoE to Rank 2 and its special advantage (if any), raise your slotted passive to Rank 3, and then raise your primary single-target attack to Rank 2 and its special advantage (or rank 2 and Crippling Challenge, if it's a tank archetype). After that... well, just put it where it feels good?

That's actually a good guideline in general; most of the time, a power's special advantage is better than getting it to rank 3. Unfortunately, a good 10-20% of powers have crappy special advantages, so it's hard to make it a purely blanket recommendation... but that's something you can learn to eyeball, and experiment with in the training room. There's some links in the OP on build suggestions, and also...

Aphrodite posted:

Your best bet is the Builds and Roles forum on the official site. CO doesn't really have fansites like other MMOs.
This is true. For better or worse CO isn't a very big game, and almost all the discussion for it happens on the official forum. You likely won't find too much build advice on Archetypes due to what I mentioned, but some freeform guides can give you hints of what advantages are good and how best to use your powers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

:words:

I told you, my category is "Second best clone character". And if there aren't any ripoffs present, we can just pick someone randomly as well, because they're only second best!

And I'll judge and stuff, however I can't chip in the 100g I committed to the prize pot until I reactivate gold. :laugh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I told you, my category is "Second best clone character".

And I told you to post it or I'd forget!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I still say we finish with worst costume.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I still say we finish with worst costume.
Only if the category is called "Best overall costume".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My issue with that is that our prizes are actually a decent chunk of money. If we give those people it, they will just make more terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

My issue with that is that our prizes are actually a decent chunk of money. If we give those people it, they will just make more terrible.

Then give the "Best" costume the Harmon Taser you won recently. :q: