Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Goddammit. Is a druid really that important? I'm not that far into RoA1, but was doing really well with my Rogue/Fighter/Elf/Dwarf/Magician/Hunter party up until this point. I'd hate to have to start over at this point because I've screwed myself up down the line.

Elves and magicians do okay as herbalists. I don't know if hunters are good at it, but if they are then either your elf or magician will be better at it anyway.

If you feel as though you're impossibly stuck, I'll tell you a little secret: Those orange bottles of poison you can find or buy? You can put them on weapons to make their attack power skyrocket. A magician with the cheapest poison on his dagger can take down nearly any opponent with one hit. It's a cheap way to do things, but it's incredibly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ArchWizard posted:

Elves and magicians do okay as herbalists. I don't know if hunters are good at it, but if they are then either your elf or magician will be better at it anyway.

Is there a qualitative difference or is it just skill levels? Looking at my Huntress it appears her Nature skills are all pretty good, and Herb Lore in particular is reasonably high--10 at level 3, will that be enough? Or do I need other skills as well, like Alchemy? I remember reading somewhere that Alchemy was largely useless, dunno how true that is though.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Healbot posted:

It's an adaption of Das Schwarze Auge (the dark eye) 2nd edition rulework, meaning you can actually lose the game right at character creation or due to the terrible automatic stats option at levelup (turn it off).

You need a mage for the utility and a druid for sweet sweet herbs to help you through the wilderness. Those are not optional. Your party can die a lot of deaths, so keep in mind that praying at temples for days of ingame time can result in a deity reviving fallen team members.
Don't take any of the gold in THAT dungeon in the first game unless you have a contingency save in front of the entrance.
Negative attributes don't have too much of an impact on battles unless magic resistance is involved.

Other than that though I forgot.

Thanks for the help, I managed to create a party that has decently high stats. I didn't max 13 in everyone's stats, but just the ones that I thought would be good for that particular character. I.E. Warrior has 10 int and Magician has 9 CR. Before I start and start sinking my life into this stupid game is there something I should do about spells? When you create your character you just need to randomly up some spells. Should I focus on particular schools with my spellcasters and neglect the other schools? Like will I be fine if my Mage works on Domination/Combat, my druid works on Healing/Transmutation, and my warlock works on Demonolgy/etc? Or should I try to diversify each caster?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is there a qualitative difference or is it just skill levels? Looking at my Huntress it appears her Nature skills are all pretty good, and Herb Lore in particular is reasonably high--10 at level 3, will that be enough? Or do I need other skills as well, like Alchemy? I remember reading somewhere that Alchemy was largely useless, dunno how true that is though.

Since I only consider whirlweeds and four-leaf loneberries to be good and everything else to be NPC fodder, I had no practical reason to pay attention to how my searches changed as my party leveled up and got higher skills. I can only say one thing with confidence: get your best herbalist to scrounge for a couple of hours every time you camp and you should get by.

Alchemy isn't technically useless but it is an inefficient use of time (some potions require you to stay at an inn for a day or two just to make them), money (you'll need herbs, booze and bottles at the very least), and inventory space (alchemy sets, recipes and ingredients all take up slots). There are easier ways to get poo poo done than using alchemy. You also have to raid a few dungeons to get alchemy recipes and by the time you've done that, your party can get by with the potions you'll also find in those dungeons. In conclusion: gently caress alchemy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yay, new old EA games on the horizon (Thursday).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's two days from now. A lot could happen in 48 hours. I could literally die. Literally. Or figuratively.

Why do you tease me like this GOG?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

I want American Revolt with working multiplayer.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
System Shock 2 is EA right? That seems the most logical choice considering it's top on the request list by a long shot.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They specifically said at the beginning, when EA was first announced, that System Shock is one of the properties they couldn't get the license to.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hoping they are allowed to include expansion packs and other bonus content this time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Specifically, I believe they said that System Shock was not in the batch of ~25 games they got but they were hoping to get it later.

Maybe more Wing Commander games?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

C'mon Sim City or Sim Tower!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Boondock Saint posted:

Sim Tower!

Day one purchase if they manage to deliver that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
EA still own the rights to Undying, right? Really hope that turns up on GOG one day, especially if it led to someone figuring out a working widescreen fix!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that EA owns Age of Empires. I don't think that's the case but if they do, I will buy it the first day it shows up on GOG.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
After going through EA's wiki, I hope one of the games is Noctropolis. Sounds like it would be fun.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

C-Euro posted:

For some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that EA owns Age of Empires. I don't think that's the case but if they do, I will buy it the first day it shows up on GOG.

Microsoft owns that one unfortunately, but who knows what the future holds!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Boondock Saint posted:

Microsoft owns that one unfortunately, but who knows what the future holds!

This. This is the future.

I'm hoping for the Wing Commander and Ultima games, personally. Never played either to any considerable degree back in the day, so here's hoping to fix that.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Could totally go for some Theme Hospital.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

GrandpaPants posted:

This. This is the future.

I'm hoping for the Wing Commander and Ultima games, personally. Never played either to any considerable degree back in the day, so here's hoping to fix that.

Well I meant so far as Microsoft signing a deal with GoG, but hey, it could be worse! (could it?)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think Wing Commander (which already has Privateer on the service) and the Ultima series are the most likely candidates.. but there are tons of games from EA I'd love to see on the service. Populous, Theme Hospital, the Command & Conquer series, Syndicate, etc.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sporadic posted:

After going through EA's wiki, I hope one of the games is Noctropolis. Sounds like it would be fun.

I don't recall anything really fun about that game to be honest. Sure I was in my early teens when the EA Classics version came out, but I still dig up the CD every several years and get disappointed all over again each time.

The only adult thing I remember about the game is a short video early on where an actress dressed up like a vampire in a nightie crawls up someone's legs and I think has a nip slip when screeching at the camera.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I want Nox, goddammit.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want a new Nox game, period. One of the best Diablolikes, and the multiplayer deathmatch was amazing.

Nacho
Oct 26, 2010
I really hope they put on the original Lands of Lore.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Nacho posted:

I really hope they put on the original Lands of Lore.

I want this and an "Ultima Collection" featuring I-VII.

I can dream :(

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

smr posted:

I want Nox, goddammit.

Want this. Want this so bad.

C&C would be rad too.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

obese retard posted:

Want this. Want this so bad.

C&C would be rad too.

All the C&C games up to Tiberian Sun are freeware, though. That said, a version of Red Alert 2 that works in Vista or 7 would be pretty great.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
What problems have you had with Red Alert 2? Works out of the box for me on Win7 x64. Although I've had real troubles getting multiplayer working. (Thanks for clutching onto the corpse of IPX for so long, Westwood. :arghfist:) I think I cracked it on LAN with a weird barely-functioning patch.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Ultima yeah those were cool when they came out. These days, 1-5 are basically unplayably archaic. 6 and 7 are brilliant and I replay them regularly. I already replay them, so do not need another avenue to purchase them. What I DO need is a game that I haven't been able to play on any of my past four computer systems.

MOTHER loving BIO FORGE

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Platypus Farm posted:

Ultima yeah those were cool when they came out. These days, 1-5 are basically unplayably archaic. 6 and 7 are brilliant and I replay them regularly. I already replay them, so do not need another avenue to purchase them. What I DO need is a game that I haven't been able to play on any of my past four computer systems.

MOTHER loving BIO FORGE

I've been able to get Bioforge running almost perfectly in DOSBox after screwing around with the configuration for awhile.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Man. I had so much fun with Nox back then. Fuckin' balls of nature ricocheting everywhere.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Man. I had so much fun with Nox back then. Fuckin' balls of nature ricocheting everywhere.

Making traps that had Force of Nature and Fist of Vengeance in them and then hearing barfing sounds as people died were good time.

Dr Snofeld posted:

All the C&C games up to Tiberian Sun are freeware, though.

It looks as if EA took down the freeware site, so not anymore.

edit: durr yeah you can get the iso's from other sites but ea still took down their own so :colbert:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BeanBandit posted:

I've been able to get Bioforge running almost perfectly in DOSBox after screwing around with the configuration for awhile.

I don't have Bioforge, or any need to play it, but after saying something like that, you really should share whatever insight you have.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Some sort of Theme Hospital/Theme Park/Ultima thing would be awesome. Although that is very unlikely.

Syndicate?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Dr Snofeld posted:

All the C&C games up to Tiberian Sun are freeware, though. That said, a version of Red Alert 2 that works in Vista or 7 would be pretty great.

All C&C games run great on Win7, I'm playing the builds from the First Decade collection for what it's worth. Those games are still great, really hoping 2 gets a GOG release as it's by far my favorite of the series.

Although 1 had the best intro music.
:black101:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrROooDg44

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 24, 2011

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ooo, Syndicate would be cool, I'd probably buy and (not) play those....

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Toadsniff posted:

All C&C games run great on Win7, I'm playing the builds from the First Decade collection for what it's worth. Those games are still great, really hoping 2 gets a GOG release as it's by far my favorite of the series.

Although 1 had the best intro music.
:black101:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrROooDg44

Yeah, The First Decade collection is boss. It has every single C&C from the original all the way up to Generals: Zero Hour on one DVD, plus a bonus DVD of goodies. Keep an eye on the EA store during the holidays. I got a brand new copy from there last year for something ridiculous like $4.99 with free shipping.

Actually, that and Battlefield 1942 are the only legit physical PC games I have left. I wouldn't mind digital copies of both.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

doctorfrog posted:

I don't have Bioforge, or any need to play it, but after saying something like that, you really should share whatever insight you have.

Well, I basically just ripped an ISO from my original disc. Once I mounted it in Dosbox and increased the CPU cycles by quite a bit, it ran fine. Here is my .conf file. Hope it helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Bioforge was a seriously great game. It's tied with Beyond Good and Evil for the most frustrating cliffhanger ending ever.