Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Godzilla07 posted:

If you rooted it through the revolutionary.io tool, just grab a rooted OTA off of XDA and then flash through Clockwork.

Thanks XDA is a bit hard to search through but I eventually found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I'm thinking about trying to see if my sister can dump Sprint with the administrative fee thing, port out and port back in on SERO (we have someone else's plan lined up to switch her to)- she's been getting ridiculously lovely service at her house and the Shift update hosed her phone and Sprint says she has to bring it back four times before they'll give her another one, so I think the $85/mo she's been paying since the update in June hosed stuff up has been a bit of a ripoff.

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on how soon she could port back in to Sprint? If so, how long?

edit: derp, I just saw duckman's post. 60 days, correct or no? What does tracking through social mean?

bobula fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

I'm thinking about trying to see if my sister can dump Sprint with the administrative fee thing, port out and port back in on SERO (we have someone else's plan lined up to switch her to)- she's been getting ridiculously lovely service at her house and the Shift update hosed her phone and Sprint says she has to bring it back four times before they'll give her another one, so I think the $85/mo she's been paying since the update in June hosed stuff up has been a bit of a ripoff.

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on how soon she could port back in to Sprint? If so, how long?

edit: derp, I just saw duckman's post. 60 days, correct or no? What does tracking through social mean?

Few things.

Can't get sero anymore. EPRP is nice, bit honestly you probably qualify for some discount that is equivalent. If you have someone who already has it, not sure how that works.

Did you call retentions on the shift problem? They should also give you a free signal booster.

Shift got a software update since the fuckup, did that help at all?

The time before you are allowed to reactivate is tied to social security number, so if you really wanted to port in and out you can as long as its a different person (you seem to have that covered). It is not tied to phone number, just social/account number. If you do do that, you could probably swing the $125 port credit since its still around.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Hope it comes with hboot 1.3/1.4 out of the box and use revolutionary.io. If it comes with 1.5 then your only option is the HTC official or wait until revolutionary is updated (who knows when that will be).

There's a thread on XDA that explains the fairly simple process of using the HTC unlock, fastboot to flash CWMR and flashing SU.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Krittick posted:

That's not terribly expensive to be honest. I'm not really sure why people are complaining. That's the price of an app or a soda. Really?

LOL. I don't give a gently caress how little it is. Its not even $1.50, the increase is actually $0.49. In addition to the TEP increase of $1 a month ago. And the fees increased last year too, but Sprint was a different beast back then. Fees keep going up, and I'm just using it as an excuse to GTFO of Sprint.

T-Mobile has a family plan for 1000 minutes that's $95 for 3 lines, data included. Sprint just isn't the cheapest anymore, and with their continuing network (both 3G and 4G) problems, they aren't that high in reliability either.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Duckman2008 posted:

My battery life came back after the update and it's not lagging quite as much.

I took it into the store and they wiped it or something and a lot of the issues I had went away. It's still a lot worse than 2.2 and I still can't search contacts, but at least it's mostly usable. It's definitely the last time I ever buy a non-flagship HTC product.

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
Bought an EVO 3D yesterday from someone on craigslist and will be coming from an Epic. I already went through the process of rooting the 3D using revolutionary and all that stuff and want to switch my number over but had a few questions:

1. I want to move all my apps and their data over, I am familiar with Titanium Backup but have never used it between phones, should it be okay provided I only restore user apps and not system apps/data?

2. I would hopefully like to carry over my text conversations - is there an easy way to do this?

3. Will my visual voicemail be saved? I have read these are stored on google servers and they usually come back no problem when I reformat my Epic, just wanted to make sure this wouldn't be an issue or if I should do something to back them up.

Thanks guys, really excited about using the new phone.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just a heads up for anyone in the area. Even though Sprint doesn't show it on their coverage map, Louisville KY does have 4G service right now. I only got weak reception in the areas I was, but I did get a 4G connection on my EVO 3D.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Q_res posted:

Just a heads up for anyone in the area. Even though Sprint doesn't show it on their coverage map, Louisville KY does have 4G service right now. I only got weak reception in the areas I was, but I did get a 4G connection on my EVO 3D.

Does it show on Clear's website?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Clear's site doesn't list any service in the state of Kentucky, actually. Just for clarity, it identified as Sprint and I got it near the University of Louisville Hospital, ran a speedtest and measured 2.75 Mbps down.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 21, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Don't trust the map. While I don't have 4G (running MIUI) my wife gets 4G in downtown Knoxville. Last I checked we wasn't on the map (many months ago).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Don't trust the map. While I don't have 4G (running MIUI) my wife gets 4G in downtown Knoxville. Last I checked we wasn't on the map (many months ago).

I think they started and just got horribly delayed in knoxville.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Don't trust the map.

I was afraid someone would say that. How else am I supposed to know when to turn on my 4G radio? I like to leave it off to save battery.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Q_res posted:

I was afraid someone would say that. How else am I supposed to know when to turn on my 4G radio? I like to leave it off to save battery.

I pretty much leave mine off all the time unless I need higher speeds for something and there's no wifi around, then I turn it on and see what kind of reception I have. It's hardly an ideal solution, but it keeps my battery happy.

(Example: I want to email a full resolution photo to somebody)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things.

Can't get sero anymore. EPRP is nice, bit honestly you probably qualify for some discount that is equivalent. If you have someone who already has it, not sure how that works.

Did you call retentions on the shift problem? They should also give you a free signal booster.

The time before you are allowed to reactivate is tied to social security number, so if you really wanted to port in and out you can as long as its a different person (you seem to have that covered). It is not tied to phone number, just social/account number. If you do do that, you could probably swing the $125 port credit since its still around.

She doesn't have internet in her house, so she can't do the airrave. One of my friends is switching providers and has a SERO plan, he said it shouldn't be a problem to transfer it to her name if she opens another Sprint account beforehand. Is he wrong?

The update fixed a bit of the lagging but it still resets all the time and is just retarded.

If she gets out without having to pay the ETF, does she still need to return the phone?

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Any tips on how to reduce overage fees on Sprint? My sister is pregnant and because of all the time she has spent on the phone with nurses/doctors/admin/etc (all land lind) she just got a $135 overage charge on her bill.

Also is there some way to setup an alert of some kind so when you are close to your limit Sprint alerts you via email or txt?

EDIT: Nevermind, the obvious answer was the retentions number in this thread. They were able to reduce it by 50%.

Mr. Ali fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 21, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bobula posted:

She doesn't have internet in her house, so she can't do the airrave. One of my friends is switching providers and has a SERO plan, he said it shouldn't be a problem to transfer it to her name if she opens another Sprint account beforehand. Is he wrong?

The update fixed a bit of the lagging but it still resets all the time and is just retarded.

If she gets out without having to pay the ETF, does she still need to return the phone?

It can be hard to do a Transfer of Liability (TOL) with SERO accounts now. I recommend looking on the SprintUsers.com forum. For example:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221339

P.s. I found out there is no extra charge for texting while in Canada.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Ali posted:

Any tips on how to reduce overage fees on Sprint? My sister is pregnant and because of all the time she has spent on the phone with nurses/doctors/admin/etc (all land lind) she just got a $135 overage charge on her bill.

Also is there some way to setup an alert of some kind so when you are close to your limit Sprint alerts you via email or txt?

EDIT: Nevermind, the obvious answer was the retentions number in this thread. They were able to reduce it by 50%.

Fyi if its voice overages sprint offers emergency minutes at $5 per 100 minutes. I'll try and include that I. The OP somewhere.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Oh hey the Samsung Conquer is out today, basically it's sitting somewhere between the Optimus and EVO 3D/Photon and carrying Samsung baggage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alman posted:

Oh hey the Samsung Conquer is out today, basically it's sitting somewhere between the Optimus and EVO 3D/Photon and carrying Samsung baggage.

Considering the conquer at a sprint store is $149 with $50 back in the mail, and the Nexus is now $50 less at $99 with $50 back, I don't get what incentive someone has to buy the conquer....

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm going to be getting a new car soon, and it's going to have all kinds of shiny bluetooth goodies for me to play with. This means that I now have incentive to get a car dock so that all I can more easily automate things like turning on bluetooth. At $60, the official dock is a bit steep... are there any other good ones for less that will actually trigger car mode on the phone? Most universal docks will hold the phone, but I'm also specifically looking for the car mode switch.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Considering the conquer at a sprint store is $149 with $50 back in the mail, and the Nexus is now $50 less at $99 with $50 back, I don't get what incentive someone has to buy the conquer....

I was actually going to ask about this, on the website the Conquer is $70 more than the Nexus S and only has a 1 GHZ single-core apparently. I don't see the point of the Conquer whatsoever.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

I'm going to be getting a new car soon, and it's going to have all kinds of shiny bluetooth goodies for me to play with. This means that I now have incentive to get a car dock so that all I can more easily automate things like turning on bluetooth. At $60, the official dock is a bit steep... are there any other good ones for less that will actually trigger car mode on the phone? Most universal docks will hold the phone, but I'm also specifically looking for the car mode switch.

The iGrip that Sprint stores, as well as others like Radio Shack is $39.99. If you are a Premiere member, they you should be able to get it for around $34.XX. Though the discount will only work at Sprint stores I believe.

Edit: Brain fart. Relevant if you have an Evo3D, otherwise ignore.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 22, 2011

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I have an Evo 3D that I connect to my car stereo with a 1/8" cable from the phone's headphone jack to the stereo's auxiliary jack. Is there any way to be able to control music without having to use the phone's screen? I'm open to whatever, such as voice commands through Google Voice Search or Vlingo, some kind of in-line or Bluetooth remote, using Tasker somehow, etc. If it matters, I would want to do this with MP3s, Rdio, and podcasts.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha, I love how in the sense weather widget there's icons for every weather condition except fog, which just shows a giant gray FOG that bounces around in some clouds.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

brc64 posted:

You can hack up a USB car charger wire to trigger dock mode, unless the HTC docks use magnets like some of the Motorola Droids. Then you can use any old cheap car mount and automate Bluetooth with something like Tasker.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Either Sprint lost a tower near my school, or my Pre definitely had a better cell radio than my Evo 3D. I just got back to my apartment over the weekend and I'm lucky if I can pull down 10 kilobits a second over 3G.

Voice is fine, 3-4 bars, but data is next to non-existent. :(

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

Haha, I love how in the sense weather widget there's icons for every weather condition except fog, which just shows a giant gray FOG that bounces around in some clouds.

I find this funny too, but what else could they do? It would be pretty hard to tell the difference between fog and clouds without the giant FOG on the screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

Either Sprint lost a tower near my school, or my Pre definitely had a better cell radio than my Evo 3D. I just got back to my apartment over the weekend and I'm lucky if I can pull down 10 kilobits a second over 3G.

Voice is fine, 3-4 bars, but data is next to non-existent. :(

If you have 2 other people who have sprint accounts you can file a complaint for a fix the department that manages sprint towers. The requirement for the complaint is 3+ different accounts complaining. I have the email and form if you need that.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have 2 other people who have sprint accounts you can file a complaint for a fix the department that manages sprint towers. The requirement for the complaint is 3+ different accounts complaining. I have the email and form if you need that.

Even if the coverage map shows that I'm not in a 3G area?

(my apartment is roughly around the green dot)

Either way, I'm sure I can find one other person to sign a complaint form. My buddy got a Evo 3D on my recommendation and now I feel like a dick because he can't even access the Market if he's not on wifi.

Edit: I live pretty much next door to the second largest Penn State campus so it would probably be in Sprint's best interests to get 3G working out here; people bitch about the lovely coverage all the time.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 24, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What's up Erie, PA buddy? Sprint in Erie kind of sucks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

(my apartment is roughly around the green dot)

Either way, I'm sure I can find one other person to sign a complaint form. My buddy got a Evo 3D on my recommendation and now I feel like a dick because he can't even access the Market if he's not on wifi.

Email is jonleathem@gmail.com

Edit: I live pretty much next door to the second largest Penn State campus so it would probably be in Sprint's best interests to get 3G working out here; people bitch about the lovely coverage all the time.

Well, as someone moving back to PA in two weeks, it can't hurt any of us to file. I can get the info to you.tomorrow or Wednesday. Remind me if I forget.

Coverage in pa is weird, I've had great coverage when visiting family all over central and east pa, but from what I can tell its weaker in west pa.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Johnstown, PA, we do it real old school, gotta go outside the house to make a call

(Thankfully I only visit there, and Sprint service is the least of the issues with Johnstown)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

After like a week with that Nexus all it makes me want is my EVO back. I don't hate the phone but it's like missing an old friend, I need the EVO back somehow.

:smith:

EDIT: Sprint support is telling me the trade in for a Nexus is like $115. I don't want to pay $300 for the remainder of the EVO. It's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 23, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

After like a week with that Nexus all it makes me want is my EVO back. I don't hate the phone but it's like missing an old friend, I need the EVO back somehow.

You should consider switching to an Evo 3D then, it's similar but better in every way possible.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

You should consider switching to an Evo 3D then, it's similar but better in every way possible.

I would but I just don't have that much money to burn on a phone, I just moved into a new place and all my money is being put into it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Leathal posted:

[rant]Ugh, loving coverage maps. Why on earth do they always use four shades of the same color, instead of different colors? Probably because it looks prettier. But good luck trying to figure out what kind of service you're actually supposed to have without a color picker.[/rant]

Definitely looks like you're in a 1x area, and yeah, calls would work fine but data is almost useless. I'm guessing the 3D is like some (all?) other Sprint Android phones in that they report "3G" data for both 1x or EVDO, which is also silly poo poo stupid.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Someone here has to be friends with Toast that can give me a link to a test version of cm7 for the evo3d, right?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Skeezy posted:

EDIT: Sprint support is telling me the trade in for a Nexus is like $115. I don't want to pay $300 for the remainder of the EVO. It's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Just curious what are missing from the EVO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what are missing from the EVO?

A working Youtube app :colbert:

Honestly I really miss the size (and screen) of the EVO. Plus I'm sure the Nexus doesn't pick up on stuff when I tap the screen as good as the EVO did. I'm not pissed off that I got a Nexus or anything it's a good phone in its own right but if given the option to go back to the EVO I would.

(I would have got the EVO as a refurb if I could get it as soon as I needed. Last week I needed a phone real bad, this week I don't.)