Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If any gameplay or AI programmers with some experience under their belt are looking for work, we're looking for some good people at Jagex. No Java experience necessary for this role. This is a full time position in Cambridge, UK and you shouldn't need a visa to work in the EU, as that's a huge pain in the rear end.

Email: gooniegoons@tamedtornado.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
QA stories are the best stories.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

GetWellGamers posted:

I thought I had some QA horror stories, but some of the ones collected on the new comic the PA/PVP guy are working on together are horrifying.

This is so terrifying I don't doubt its veracity, because I don't think anyone could make up something like that and expect anyone to believe them if it was fake.

I should get swapdotavi to post in here. He has a similar story to this about completely ruining any [popular sports game] NDS cart he wants to.

[edit] I've got a bunch of QA stories myself actually, I'll write a few of the up.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

M4rk posted:

Hey, that's pretty much the level of Blizz's writing nowadays. :iceburn:

Taking potshots about industry leaders in a forum filled with developers is a great way to prove you have the judgment needed to manage a community!

:backtowork:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
In my experience being an industry leader means gently caress all unless you're untouchable like Valve.

I've heard a lot of senior people talk a lot of poo poo about other studios.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Monster w21 Faces posted:

In my experience being an industry leader means gently caress all unless you're untouchable like Valve.

I've heard a lot of senior people talk a lot of poo poo about other studios.

It's funny you mention that considering the last couple weeks!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/08/activision-exec-jabs-ea-over-mudslinging/1

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

MustardFacial posted:

I should get swapdotavi to post in here. He has a similar story to this about completely ruining any [popular sports game] NDS cart he wants to.

[edit] I've got a bunch of QA stories myself actually, I'll write a few of the up.

As requested:

If you eject the card when saving a logo for a custom team in [popular sports franchise] 2006 or 2007, (it's been a while and QA with that company was a bit of a blur) you of course corrupt the save. However, rather more unexpectedly, you can never play a custom team game of any kind ever again with any team. It just hard locks when you select the custom team game-mode. To fix it you have to wipe the eeprom, which retail users cannot do.

I found this the first year I was working there, but it had been unknowingly shipped the year before. Basically if you trigger this bug on the year that was shipped you are now down one gamemode. Forever.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

wodin posted:

Taking potshots about industry leaders in a forum filled with developers is a great way to prove you have the judgment needed to manage a community!

:backtowork:
Taking one-liners with emotes seriously is pretty humorless and depressing, dude.

But then you used an emote, so you're cool in my book.

Also, even a layman Blizzard fan knows their writing has changed since the glory days of the last 90s and early 2000s. Most of the awesome plot lines in WC2 and SC have been glossed over or dropped in favor of more pedestrian tropes. SC2's campaign is a great example. Jim Raynor's not who he used to be.

M4rk fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 22, 2011

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Kids, never ever let producers touch level editors if they don't know what the gently caress they're doing. Quick 2 week stint blew up into double the length because the guys who handed us the tasks had no clue exactly how much manual tweaking and fixing we'd have to do to repair the disaster they had created.
I can't wait for the emails bitching about how long the project is taking. :downs: I don't mind though, the work itself is all fine and dandy, it's just terrible project management at its best.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 22, 2011

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I know sometimes studios are busy, especially around this time of year (con season) but how long should one wait after sending in a CV before following up? What would be considered standard?

I'm probably a little over anxious because I want to get back into the industry, so that's why I'm asking.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Amrosorma posted:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/08/activision-exec-jabs-ea-over-mudslinging/1

This was all bar and smoke break talk though.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Please tell me all about it, i'd love to hear what happened.

I keep everyone away from our level editors all the time, even handing off to another level designer can be enough of a risk.

We had a designer poke at one with very interesting results, luckily there was a referencing/prefab system so any time our whole level broke we could just delete that self contained reference so we could continue working :downs:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
A co-worker brought his kid in to work today. 8 hours of sittinq quietly in a cube while his dad writes code. Game developer is not as cool a job as he thought it was!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DancingMachine posted:

A co-worker brought his kid in to work today. 8 hours of sittinq quietly in a cube while his dad writes code. Game developer is not as cool a job as he thought it was!

I bet this was because the rest of the team was holding back on potty humour and dubious pranks while the kids was around. :v:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Fishbus posted:

Please tell me all about it, i'd love to hear what happened.

I keep everyone away from our level editors all the time, even handing off to another level designer can be enough of a risk.

We had a designer poke at one with very interesting results, luckily there was a referencing/prefab system so any time our whole level broke we could just delete that self contained reference so we could continue working :downs:

Prefabs in Radiant own. I wish they worked this way in hammer.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Counting my blessings that I'm in a tiny studio, right here.

Also really finally getting the hang of 2D painting again. Spent the few days before experimenting with all sorts of painting styles of 2d backdrops and now we've settled on a style everyone's happy with I find myself able to crank out backdrops double quick :D

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Ehhhhh

Snooty fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2018

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Counting my blessings that I'm in a tiny studio, right here.

Also really finally getting the hang of 2D painting again. Spent the few days before experimenting with all sorts of painting styles of 2d backdrops and now we've settled on a style everyone's happy with I find myself able to crank out backdrops double quick :D

You're working on smaller projects so hopefully you won't fall into this rut, but after working on Red Faction titles for 4 years I had the workflow down to a series of incredibly tight, very fast processes.

This meant when I started working on something new, I had to shake those habits and actually learn how to make stuff again, and basically do all the poo poo I have shouted at industry newbs for years despite not doing myself had to re-learn a lot of skills and begin to establish new processes, flexing my observation skills a lot more than I had been.

It's really kind of refreshing and I'm back to making work I'm super proud of creating, but watch out for the Production Art rut.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

This meant when I started working on something new, I had to shake those habits and actually learn how to make stuff again, and basically do all the poo poo I have shouted at industry newbs for years despite not doing myself had to re-learn a lot of skills and begin to establish new processes, flexing my observation skills a lot more than I had been.
I'm not sure you can ever avoid this, really. Every single large-project you work on will end up with a legacy toolset that's years out of date and processes that are similarly odd, and even if you work at a studio making smaller games, you're going to eventually get stuck in the tech that tends to follow each project along.

In each studio type, there's an eventual rebuilding phase where you get to update processes, but then you're back to doing outdated work within relatively short order.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This is going to be particularly weird when the next console generation inevitably is released -- the project I'm on is still in early conception and will most likely end up on this next generation. So any tech investigation and choices we make right now will inevitably be obsolete before release. :ohdear:

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tricky Ed posted:

The "no game writing jobs" section is basically there for the same reason as the "no one gets hired out of QA" bit. There obviously are game writing jobs, but they're exceedingly rare and they're not going to be hiring someone who's never written professionally to fill them. Also most people think "game writer" is "ideas guy," which is of course the job everyone wants*.

The OP is the "Here be Dragons" to keep the people who don't know better away. It's not that there aren't dragons, you just have to know how to slay them.

*There is one Idea Guy, and his name is Will Wright. If you are not him, you need a different goal.

OH HEY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT GAME WRITING LEMME JUST SETTLE ON IN HERE

The industry is changing, and for the better. What's really interesting nowadays is how the role of the narrative designer is being developed -- at some studios, a more accurate description of an ND is "narrative producer", advocating for story and keeping poo poo together as the key communicator between all functional disciplines that have a hand in story. Something to consider as part of the changing landscape.

But back to the discussion at hand re: the OP. If I were to rewrite the OP, I'd summarize as follows:
  • They exist, and in many forms -- contracting, offsite freelancing, full-time -- but they are rare as gently caress and competitive as all get-out.
  • You need experience and a dynamite portfolio to get a crack at these gigs if/when they appear. If you don't have experience, you need a dynamite portfolio and a willingness to do assloads of spec work, usually after signing an NDA that waives any rights to the content you develop as part of the process.
  • You need to know intimately, and be able to speak competently, about : writing for a diverse range of media, cutting-edge narrative techniques in games, game design, technical considerations, production pipelines (recording and localization are bigguns), and so on.

So, pretty much exactly what's already there, now that I think about it.

Here's another way to think of it: For every one fresh-faced budding game writer with a degree and little else under their belt, there are at least two ex-Hollywood writers with a movie and maybe some TV experience angling for the same job. If you want to get into game writing, your task is to figure out how you can bring more to the table than the dudes that could give a gently caress about games as a storytelling medium but want a spot with a little more (relative) stability.

(You'll know these guys when you see them because they never use Excel when writing chatter, if they write chatter at all.)

Yes, make NWN modules. They establish that you can wrap your head around content development toolkits and work creatively within parameters. Yes, work on your portfolio, even if it's not GAEM WRITINGZ. Write all the time. Get used to killing yourself for little to no recognition. And if you land any industry gig -- QA, production, whatever -- and you want to break into game writing, find the dudes tasked with the lion share of the work and beg to take some of it off their plate. Be prepared to prove your worth before they'll utilize you. Offer to copyedit.

Embrace your desperation and keep bashing your head against the wall. It's not Hollywood, but it gets closer and closer to that model every year.

PS:

Manley Pointer posted:

Big companies that make RPGs or MMOs -- like Blizzard, Bethesda, and Bioware -- employ a bunch of in-house writers because they don't want their games' writing to suck, as most contract writing does (even by game industry standards). Other companies such as Valve have well-known writers working in-house. Some smaller developers who make FPS titles that require writing also seem to have 1 or 2 designers in-house who handle writing tasks or rewrite/reorganize the poo poo that contract writers send in.

This is so utterly wrong I can't even what I argh what. The terms of your employment has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the work. While yes, I'd agree that creating the head typically signifies an explicit recognition of value on the part of the studio, to say that contract writing is poo poo because it comes from contractors is ridonk.

typhus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 23, 2011

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Jan posted:

This is going to be particularly weird when the next console generation inevitably is released -- the project I'm on is still in early conception and will most likely end up on this next generation. So any tech investigation and choices we make right now will inevitably be obsolete before release. :ohdear:

It isn't difficult to make a guess at what a next gen machine targeted for release in fall of 2012 or 2013 will look like.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Sigma-X posted:

You're working on smaller projects so hopefully you won't fall into this rut, but after working on Red Faction titles for 4 years I had the workflow down to a series of incredibly tight, very fast processes.

It's really kind of refreshing and I'm back to making work I'm super proud of creating, but watch out for the Production Art rut.

Now that my options have opened out a lot now that I'm finally at least in the industry, I'm going to make it a personal thing of mine to just loving learn to draw and paint better. It'll help me in my current job and with any (serious) luck art design, concept art or even just illustration outside of games could become a real ambition for me a few years down the line.

3D is great and all but funnily enough in my earlier naieve student days I wanted to do solely 2D art. Oh how the tables have le turned :v

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jaytan posted:

It isn't difficult to make a guess at what a next gen machine targeted for release in fall of 2012 or 2013 will look like.

Probably because the PS3 came out in 11/06, by 8/05 I had already been to two Sony Bootcamps on PS3 development, and had those giant PCs in house for 4-5 months, I don't see that happening right now...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Per popular demand, I've updated the writing section of the OP, esp. with the excellent advice from typhus.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I swear, if I get one more producer come up to me and say "Did you guys test this?" when referring to a feature I have working right in front of me I am going to lose it. Especially if said feature is working as designed, and has worked this way for months.

Nah, we just sit here and eat cheetos all day.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jaytan posted:

I hope they more than double the memory this time. I doubt it will happen, but... I can hope :(

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Monochrome posted:

I swear, if I get one more producer come up to me and say "Did you guys test this?" when referring to a feature I have working right in front of me I am going to lose it. Especially if said feature is working as designed, and has worked this way for months.

Monochrome...Did you test this?

:ohdear:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Monochrome posted:

We don't even have cheetos in the office. WHAT IS THIS VOODOO MAGIC?!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I hope they more than double the memory this time. I doubt it will happen, but... I can hope :(

They will spend half the manufacturing budget on some loving motion gimmick and the entire thing will be hamstrung by all their processing bandwidth running the always-on motion gimmick which they have tied into your dashboard.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jaytan posted:

You could guess about hardware, but even that isn't really certain -- they could easily have put more than 512MB of memory back in the day, but didn't. The Cell architecture was so unlike anything ever seen before. Even now most programmers struggle to fully utilize the Cell architecture, so imagine if they decide to iterate with some even fancier new hardware (as Sony tends to like doing).

Of course, with the current hardware trend, the most likely outcome will be more parallelism, but even with later additions like SPURS or the Edge library, you have to carefully engineer the low level engine stuff. So the onus falls on engineers to figure out everything with new consoles.

Edit: And this isn't going to change all that much (if anything, it'll make development easier), but there are also rumours about consoles going full digital distribution.

So yeah, "a guess" might help scale detail on art assets and level detail, but it's naive to assume that the jump will be easy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

They did last time though? (Xbox 64M unified => 360 512M unified, PS2 32M system, 4M video => 256M system, 256M video) I still maintain that if Sony had gone further they'd be the dominant platform now. (Specifically if they went 512/512 instead of 256/256, I for one would want to develop on them as my primary platform instead of 360.)

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Jan posted:

So yeah, "a guess" might help scale detail on art assets and level detail, but it's naive to assume that the jump will be easy.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply "duh its easy you idiot" which my post kinda came off as. What I meant specifically is, you can get a fair amount of info on what a high end PC for those dates would look like as a probable "best case", and use WiiU level as a "worst case". What actually happens will likely be somewhere in the middle.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Diplomaticus posted:

Per popular demand, I've updated the writing section of the OP, esp. with the excellent advice from typhus.

D'aww. I'm honored!

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Hughlander posted:

They did last time though? (Xbox 64M unified => 360 512M unified, PS2 32M system, 4M video => 256M system, 256M video) I still maintain that if Sony had gone further they'd be the dominant platform now. (Specifically if they went 512/512 instead of 256/256, I for one would want to develop on them as my primary platform instead of 360.)

Vita's making me hopeful for the next generation. The original PSP was 32Mb (64Mb on later models), Vita's 512Mb RAM + 128Mb VRAM.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jan posted:

Edit: And this isn't going to change all that much (if anything, it'll make development easier), but there are also rumours about consoles going full digital distribution.
I try to avoid prognosticating on the actual hardware (aside from memory - dammit, they had better SUBSTANTIALLY up the memory), but digital distribution is absolutely what the new consoles will be built around.

I wouldn't expect a device to ship without a disc drive, but I would expect:
- UI will be structured to all but force the user through the store, to reduce the present gap between users with consoles / users that have even opened the digital store
- Twitter/Facebook/etc like connection between games
- A better microtrans framework
- Digital gifting capability
- Increased parity between physical releases and digital availability
- Substantial changes to the TCR/TRC lists to allow for different standards depending on $60 giant title or $15 XBLA/PSN
- Improvements in patch capability parallel to the above
- (possibly) Initial inroads to availability of user-made game mods being exposed on the console ports of moddable games

... and console companies are going to be increasingly aware that generations go much, much longer now, so you'll see additional future proofing.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 23, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

Now that my options have opened out a lot now that I'm finally at least in the industry, I'm going to make it a personal thing of mine to just loving learn to draw and paint better. It'll help me in my current job and with any (serious) luck art design, concept art or even just illustration outside of games could become a real ambition for me a few years down the line.

3D is great and all but funnily enough in my earlier naieve student days I wanted to do solely 2D art. Oh how the tables have le turned :v

I've been trying to find Leamington art classes or something. I found an evening group few months ago that said they meet on Wednesdays somewhere in town, but I can't find it now:(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

additional future proofing.

Hopefully by having enough memory, with a unified architecture. :allears:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Amrosorma posted:

I think I might have actually finally gotten something right in the industry predict-athon....

Does anyone know who was running that? It started in the last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jan posted:

Hopefully by having enough memory, with a unified architecture. :allears:
Given Sony's track record, I am expecting nothing short of there now being at least 3 pools of memory, with chaotic overlap memorable only via venn diagram, each connected to a specific class of vector unit capable of only one vector operation apiece, forcing you to daisy-chain your way between memory units if you want to follow up your cross product with a dot. But with the (theoretical) horsepower to become truly sentient.

... and Microsoft will just release another new console with more memory and a better CPU that supports an easy-to-use superset of DX11.