Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hed posted:

I find myself looking at this one and saying "So what?" after each bullet. Your resume's job is to generate interest from a glance, and in a more detailed interview to generate topics of conversation for projects..

The reason for this, so you (the guy who posted the resume, not Hed) know, is that it doesn't actually contain results. it says poo poo like what you did, but it doesn't say what that changed for the company. So you automated historical data retrieval - claps for you - what benefit did that produce for the company?

I'm a firm believer that by orientating your points to reflect results, not tasks, you'll be more successful in getting a recruiter's attention and encouraging further discussion about your previous employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

The reason for this, so you (the guy who posted the resume, not Hed) know, is that it doesn't actually contain results. it says poo poo like what you did, but it doesn't say what that changed for the company. So you automated historical data retrieval - claps for you - what benefit did that produce for the company?

I'm a firm believer that by orientating your points to reflect results, not tasks, you'll be more successful in getting a recruiter's attention and encouraging further discussion about your previous employment.

This is what I was going to say also.

quote:

- Modified and created AutoCAD electrical drawings
- Developed user interface programs using Visual Basic for use in auto assembly plants
- Modified and debugged ladder logic using RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 5000
-Assisted electrical engineers in control panel installation in auto assembly plant

What electrical drawings did you modify and what did they do, were they put into production, prototypes, proof of concept, documentation...if you're modifying drawings it must be for something.

What is an 'auto assembly plant' automotive? Automatic? What did this user interface interface with and control? What was the back-end.

What did this ladder logic go into, like the drawings, if you're modifying RSLogix code it must be for some reason. Was it put into production...etc.

What did you have to do with this control panel installation? Did you just stand there and watch or did you design the control panel circuitry, mechanical drawings, was the RSLogix/UI for this control panel?

This is what really jumps out at me when I read your resume. You did a lot of thing but why did you do them?

Here's a quick example from my resume about one of my internships:

quote:

Was primary responsible engineer for a proof-of-concept electrical and mechanical design for a new square baler control system being assisted by senior engineers. This included design considerations such as:
• Sensor selection, mounting locations and power/signal requirements.
• Vehicle wiring diagram design, construction, installation and testing.
• Embedded systems development, debugging and integration using C++/RTOS.
• Preliminary testing of system components and testing of system components during integration using onsite testing equipment and facilities.
• Test planning and simulation was carried out after system development and design. Proof-of-concept was declared a success and has undergone further development since my departure.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Hed posted:

I find myself looking at this one and saying "So what?" after each bullet. Your resume's job is to generate interest from a glance, and in a more detailed interview to generate topics of conversation for projects.

You have a lot of experience with internships and 2 co-ops, so you should easily be able to set yourself apart and be able to tell me something about the results you got, not just what you were doing. Simply fleshing out some of the things you wrote would be sufficient. "Created vehicle body defect tracking database using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic for Applications". That's neat, but a better way to put it might be "Created vehicle body defect tracking system to generate metrics for process control." or "... to save the company $100,000" or anything quantifiable. You "Developed user interface programs". For whom? How many used them? How critical a function? You want to show off your results, and I'm sure you've had many.

If I go down the line of your resume I see "Created, Assisted, Developed, Proficient" a lot. You may want to mix that up.

Do you do any student activities? In IEEE for example do you try to get speakers or do you just show up to the meetings? Put down anything you are responsible as people like to see participation and responsibility in teams, whether work or student.

I think you have a lot of good stuff to show on your resume and with a little more work yours can really shine.

That's a good point, I didn't think about before but I don't mention results at all. I guess I concentrated on cramming everything in instead of providing context and explaining the impact I had. I appreciate you taking a look.

Plinkey posted:

This is what really jumps out at me when I read your resume. You did a lot of thing but why did you do them?

Here's a quick example from my resume about one of my internships:

That is a much better format than the one I used, stupid school-provided template. It makes more sense to go into more detail about a few projects than to just have one line for each like I do now. I think I will base my next revision on that format. Thanks for the feedback! Also it sounds you had an amazing internship.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Thanks for the feedback! Also it sounds you had an amazing internship.

No problem.

Yeah, it was a pretty sweet two summers. Each year they handed me a big stack of papers and pointed me to a drive on the network and more or less said "we want to do this but all of the senior guys are too busy, read over it and see what you can do in 3 months." I think it's pretty much what got me my job after graduation because my GPA was something like 2.79.

Placebo Orgasm
Nov 4, 2009
I'm a freshman still deciding what course to take, but I'm leaning towards nuclear because I have a huge interest in physics. My concern is that I have no prior work experience -I'm 19- and I'm at a community school... my chances of getting internships seem pretty poo poo. What kind of work can I look for right now? I've been thinking about giving free-lance tutoring a shot, I tutored algebra as a class in high school. Is there some kind of volunteer experience I can pursue that will help me get an internship in a few semesters? I'm really worried about what my resume will look like if I'm 21 and applying for internships in this economy with NO jobs.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Placebo Orgasm posted:

I'm a freshman still deciding what course to take, but I'm leaning towards nuclear because I have a huge interest in physics. My concern is that I have no prior work experience -I'm 19- and I'm at a community school... my chances of getting internships seem pretty poo poo. What kind of work can I look for right now? I've been thinking about giving free-lance tutoring a shot, I tutored algebra as a class in high school. Is there some kind of volunteer experience I can pursue that will help me get an internship in a few semesters? I'm really worried about what my resume will look like if I'm 21 and applying for internships in this economy with NO jobs.

There's a tutoring program at my school. I'm part of it so students get assigned to me, but I also tutor anyone that's interested on my own. Check if your school has anything like that.

I don't have a lot of internship experience, but I am getting a Colgate interview in the near future. I do have to give a presentation on "Generational Differences" and participate in a head hunting experiment, so that should be fun.

Does anyone have any experience giving presentations on such a broad theme? Tips, pointers, any help?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Placebo Orgasm posted:

Hmmm, well I think I have a lot of advice, hopefully it is clear.

First off, the Nuclear power plant in my state took down it's Nuclear Engineer 1 position in favor of several internships for college students, although probably Junior-Senior status, so keep those grades up dammit. Any type of work is good, tutoring is better than flipping burgers because you will learn how to teach and reinforce the fundamentals. The bigger question is what's the outlook of your college career and what you want to do? Specifically, Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Physics, or something more niche like Nuclear Health Physics?

No matter which path, you can always do well in school and try to get scholarships to bump up to a state or private university with some prowess. Along with that will come a chance to do research with a professor which I assume your community college doesn't allow. Hell, if there is another school in the area that has a research group ask them now if they have stuff you can do, I know my group had a couple people working who didn't attend the university. Also don't sell yourself short, you shouldn't really have to intern without pay anywhere, usually tech jobs are nice like that.

To just gloss over the above question, Nuclear Engineering and Nuclear Physics are pretty different.

In Nuclear Physics you'll end up learning a lot of theoretical stuff that is very math heavy as you get further in your schooling. In undergrad you have a bit of play as to whether you wanna go into Theoretical or Experimental physics; the division really comes into play in PhD programs. In the former you will program and theoretically try to come up with models for atomic interactions and stuff. In Experimental physics you still program but a lot of it revolves around modeling targets being smashed with particle beams. Then you actually have a hand in proposing and setting up the experiments and stuff. The extent of your experimental physics success usually depends on your proximity to a particle beam laboratory.

My school didn't have a Nuclear Engineering program or any courses, but from what I read and seemed to understand you spend a lot more time on actually learning Reactor physics, heat transfer, everything actually applicable in the power plant, ie not gluons and poo poo. In my time as an undergrad I did see a school that had Nuclear Health Physics and I'm sure there may be a few more niches(Maybe you find out your more interested in power generation), so there is a bit more room to wiggle something in there. I know it's the engineer thread but I'm not sure if you are aware of the big discrepancy between Physics and Engineering.

I'm not sure of the Navy Nuke program, but there is a big thread in Goons in Platoons about that.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 19, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Placebo Orgasm posted:

... my chances of getting internships seem pretty poo poo. What kind of work can I look for right now? I've been thinking about giving free-lance tutoring a shot, I tutored algebra as a class in high school. Is there some kind of volunteer experience I can pursue that will help me get an internship in a few semesters? I'm really worried about what my resume will look like if I'm 21 and applying for internships in this economy with NO jobs.

I don't think you'll finish school with NO work experience. As a freshman or soph any kind of engineering club you can join that has projects going is a start. As well as ANY kind of internship you're offered or allowed to interview for at that point. Later in school you can be more picky as to internships you're interested in.

Placebo Orgasm
Nov 4, 2009
What worries me about nuclear engineering is that it sounds like the kind of thing where a Phd/MS would be mandatory, but that's no dealbreaker. Confirm/deny?

Thoguh posted:

When you say "no work experience" do you mean no relevant experience, or no experience at all? Because nobody is going to expect a 19 year old freshman to have worked in a nuclear plant or anything like that. [\quote]

Zero jobs. I have four months volunteering at a food pantry, a high school diploma, good SAT/ACT scores and 3 credits of college German to my name.

I just talked to a professor about this and he says that I should be looking to take any job, maybe a lab aide at the library. I mentioned doing freelance tutoring to him and he said that it would be hard to get a recommendation from that, which he felt was something I'd need to get an internship.

[quote]
Have you considered the Navy's nuclear engineering program post grad? If you don't mind the commitment that's a sure bet for employment and you'd be very employable once you get out.

Is that the SMART scholar program? I'm curious about this. I'm not aprehensive about commitment.

Fake edit: been doing some research on navy nuclear propulsion, sounds interesting. Do I actually need to do college for it? Because it's sounding like all they want is for you to pass their test and then they put you through an accelerated tech school education. I'm going to ask my questions in the nuclear propulsion thread as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Nuclear Engineering is probably pretty viable with a BS, a MS may not hurt, but I doubt a PhD is necessary. I'd really read that Goons in Platoons thread, cuz in Navy Nuke you're in a sub for a long time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Generally, the only jobs that require PhDs are pure research positions.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I know this talk happened already but I can't find it in the thread. What calculator where you guys recommending? I start classes tomorrow and want to get my shopping list together.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Backno posted:

So I know this talk happened already but I can't find it in the thread. What calculator where you guys recommending? I start classes tomorrow and want to get my shopping list together.

Ti-83+?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Thoguh posted:

Not for engineering classes. Get a TI-89, or if you want to be really baller, the version of the TI-89 with a QWERTY keyboard, whatever they are calling it now.

That would be the TI-92, if I recall correctly.

Just looked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-92

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Ti-83+?

These are kind of a pain in the rear end to use if you're an EE; they can't handle complex matrices. My Ti-89 was a real life saver in circuits for that reason.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought HP Graphing Calculators where the big thing now.

That said I made it through BS EE with a TI-86.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
All the calculator talk earlier was regarding the FE and PE exams.

As an EE I'd recommend any version of the TI-89/+/platinum or whatever is the newest adjective. The qwerty version is completely unnecessary, it has a bigger screen and less pixels. Terrible.

If you're a real nerd you could go for an HP calculator and try your hand at RPN, just don't expect any help.

There's an RPN mod for the TI-89 if anyone wants to try that before switching to an HP. Check ticalc.org.

As for a simple scientific calculator (FE accepted) the Casio FX-115 is the way to go.

/self-confessed calculator nerd here

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 22, 2011

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Weird. My Ti-83+ served me well in my CSE classes. Anything it couldn't handle I just did in MATLAB or Mathematica.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Having owned both series, 86 > 89 for my purposes. I just thought it was a lot faster, more intuitive, and far easier to input problems. 89 also treats you like a baby and makes you close your own parentheses cause you might mess up! :spergin:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hed posted:

Having owned both series, 86 > 89 for my purposes. I just thought it was a lot faster, more intuitive, and far easier to input problems. 89 also treats you like a baby and makes you close your own parentheses cause you might mess up! :spergin:

Matching parenthesis?! On my calculator!

This actually doesn't bother me, I'd likely miss one almost as often as I'd leave them hanging on purpose. My 89 served me well through my CPE degree. Symbolic integration? Sign me up!

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Get a ti-89

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Weird. My Ti-83+ served me well in my CSE classes. Anything it couldn't handle I just did in MATLAB or Mathematica.

I only really found it critical for AC circuits. Its incredibly useful everywhere it was allowed.

Don't use symbolic integration in a calculus class though, except to check your work and even then, check to see if it returned an equivalent form.

Oh, one last Ti-89 tip, in a physical science class get in the habit of putting units in with everything.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I only really found it critical for AC circuits. Its incredibly useful everywhere it was allowed.

Don't use symbolic integration in a calculus class though, except to check your work and even then, check to see if it returned an equivalent form.

Oh, one last Ti-89 tip, in a physical science class get in the habit of putting units in with everything.

Symbolic integration saved my bacon in EMag, where the integration seemed like a means to an end to me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I own both the TI-89 and the HP-59G, and used a HP-83+ way back since middle school or so (learned Z80 assembly on that guy :3:) Either one will get the job done, though 89s tend to be more "popular" it seems, so you'd have an easier time finding help and such. That said, I've recently started using RPN more on my -35S and -59G and I gotta say, it owns :smug:

Also, regarding PhD requirements for jobs, I was bored and browsing nvidia job listings (the "Premier" listings in particular), and if you want to be a process engineer for them, better have a PhD, scrub :smugdog:

Obviously that's a really specific case, I just felt like sharing. Job postings for the big Silicon Valley companies always make me feel like a retard. I phone-interviewed with Facebook for a hardware engineering position, and they were concerned that I didn't come from Standford, UCB, CalTech, MIT, etc. :smith:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Thoguh posted:

Not for engineering classes. Get a TI-89, or if you want to be really baller, the version of the TI-89 with a QWERTY keyboard, whatever they are calling it now.
Holy crap, those are still around? They're, like, 20 years old! Hasn't calculator technology progressed at all these last two decades?

I used an HP-48G in college; RPN has its pluses, but it's a pain in the rear end. My mainstay now is a simple Casio fx-115MS; I liked it so much, I bought a second so I can have one at work and one at home.

edit: oooh, this looks nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-Nspire

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Why the hell is TI still the go to calculator? They have to be way overpriced now. I'm surprised there isn't a common web app out there now. I'd much rather have something like a nook color with CAS for nearly the same amount. Or an ipod touch for 100$ more.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

ValhallaSmith posted:

Why the hell is TI still the go to calculator? They have to be way overpriced now. I'm surprised there isn't a common web app out there now. I'd much rather have something like a nook color with CAS for nearly the same amount. Or an ipod touch for 100$ more.

There are actually Ti-8x emulators for Android. I have a Ti-83+ in my phone!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ValhallaSmith posted:

Good luck getting a professor to let you use one of those on a test.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ValhallaSmith posted:

Everytime calculators come up, this comes up. I won't disagree that the prices should come down, I mean, TI is making a killing putting together $20 worth of hardware and selling it for $150. It just isn't bound to happen because the education market is perpetual and people will continue to buy calculators every year. Also, a high-tech calculator isn't as useful as you think. The main points being that people want a dedicated device with a decent battery life, something tablets and phones can't provide. Not to mention anything with wireless communication will never be allowed on an exam. Honestly, how much (outside of a color screen) can you really improve a calculator and still keep it usable with a good battery life?

IF you're doing hardcore stuff, people quickly move from the calculator to some kind of math software like MATLAB or Mathematica.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 23, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Everyone should use a TI-89 because teachers get nervous when they see people using qwerty calculators. TI-89s have a lot of extremely useful features that you will use many many times over a TI-83/84 which doesnt come close. Symbolic integration. Enough said.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I have a Casio, it was $50 less than the equivalent TI when I bought it ~6 years ago and it has just about all of the same features. Also I just like to not support TI's calculators because they are extremely overpriced.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

This may seem like a silly question, but would a geography degree qualify you at all for even the smallest of mining/petroleum engineering positions? All that stuff is real cool but I don't think I have the qualifications or experience for them :(

What about geology?

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 23, 2011

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Co-sine posted:

This may seem like a silly question, but would a geography degree qualify you at all for even the smallest of mining/petroleum engineering positions? All that stuff is real cool but I don't think I have the qualifications or experience for them :(

What about geology?
Geology would probably be a lot more applicable than geography, and I have seen some oil companies posting for geologists.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
There's no longer any reason whatsoever to spend money on a graphing calculator. At home you can use WolframAlpha, or Mathematica if your school has a student license set up, which is leagues above anything a handheld calculator can do. If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I was wondering what would the best method be fore getting into the field of control engineering, I am currently almost done with me ME bachelors and and adding a minor in EE. I guess I just don't understand the best way to get into a more specialized field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice