Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Node posted:

Should I check all the options when rebuilding the patch or just leave it?

Look through all of them and see which one actually has options on the side that you went to merge together, then check that, and then check the stuff in the right hand side that you want merged. Don't just click every one even if they're empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
For some reason whenever I have Perk mods enabled my game becomes significantly less stable. Without them I seem to almost never crash but with them I start crashing a ton and getting textures and meshes disappearing mid game at it's worst. Anybody have any clue why this would be?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cerevisiae posted:

For some reason whenever I have Perk mods enabled my game becomes significantly less stable. Without them I seem to almost never crash but with them I start crashing a ton and getting textures and meshes disappearing mid game at it's worst. Anybody have any clue why this would be?

How are you sure the increased instability is because of perk-related mods? Spontaneously disappearing textures and meshes doesn't sound like a symptom of mods that add perks. What perk mods do you use, specifically, and what else is in your load order?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is a bashed patch much better than a merged patch? Merged patch is super easy to make at least.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rascyc posted:

Is a bashed patch much better than a merged patch? Merged patch is super easy to make at least.

I haven't used FNVEdit to make a merged patch, but I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Turned off all my mods and I can't even load my game. Course it relied pretty heavily on mods so looks like I get to start all over again :negative:
I have never completed this game, usually I get to the mid 20s or so and then something happens. This time it seems like the terminal building in camp mccarren got the best of me. I am pretty sure project nevada just doesn't want to work with whatever I had before. It's a shame though cause project nevada seems like such a well put together mod. Well gonna dump all my mods and get a fresh install and see if I can get it working from the get go.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Hey, that Desert Scorpion armor that was posted earlier - where in-game can I find it again?

e: - nevermind I'm a retard.

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 23, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Anyone know where I can get a mod to stop the Ranger Combat Armor clipping through, like, half the drat guns in the game?

edit: nevermind I got it. You just have to check the "has backpack" box on the armor in the GECK and it holsters differently.

Dush fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 23, 2011

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I think I found an issue with the signature weapon mods. The modded weapon is the All American

My weapon leveled up and I chose an upgrade, precision I think and all the stats still showed zeroes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I haven't used FNVEdit to make a merged patch, but I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

Bashed Patches are usually more in depth, but generally not needed for FO3/FNV. A merged patch will usually do the job just fine.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Just went to Gomorrah and played until I had the money for an SVD with a scope and mod receiver kit. Now I'm ballin'. Naky, your mod is the best.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Maybe I'm just a tard, but I don't see much of any documentation for The Armory, just a weapon list. I honestly don't even know if it is properly installed right now...where do I find the weapons? Are they added to loot lists or stuck in Goodsprings under a rock or something?

I just got back in NV, and this thread has been great for pointing out good mods. There are so many out there, and it really does make it a whole new game in many ways.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Maybe I'm just a tard, but I don't see much of any documentation for The Armory, just a weapon list. I honestly don't even know if it is properly installed right now...where do I find the weapons? Are they added to loot lists or stuck in Goodsprings under a rock or something?

I just got back in NV, and this thread has been great for pointing out good mods. There are so many out there, and it really does make it a whole new game in many ways.

FOMOD install? If so the readme extracted to the data folder. Or should have...

Convicted Lovebot
Jan 29, 2011
Omnicarus, I noticed that your house mod had Race files in it, which were overwriting my hair mod. I don't know if this is needed for the mannequins or some other feature in your mod, but I manually deleted the GRUP in FNVEdit. I'll try the game now and see if it works.

EDIT: Yup, the game crashes when I enter. The quest worked fine though, so it sounds like I messed up the mannequins.

Convicted Lovebot fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 23, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
There seems to be a bug with the GECK that as much as opening the race panel and selecting a race will bring this race into the .esp as an override. This even seems to happen when you just open "Race" and don't do anything else but immediately cancel the upcoming window. (Which always creates at least an "African American" entry because that's the first race in the list) Cleaning up the unwanted overrides in FNVEdit after working with races in any way is necessary.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rascyc posted:

I prefer merged patches more. The last two times I tried a bash patch, the game would crash whenever I enter a certain region of a map (Sorrow Camp in Honest Hearts and the Village in Old World Blues) until I remove all traces of it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

There seems to be a bug with the GECK that as much as opening the race panel and selecting a race will bring this race into the .esp as an override. This even seems to happen when you just open "Race" and don't do anything else but immediately cancel the upcoming window. (Which always creates at least an "African American" entry because that's the first race in the list) Cleaning up the unwanted overrides in FNVEdit after working with races in any way is necessary.

Oops! I didn't know this. I'll make sure to snip all the other race data out in the future.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Bashed patches are actually not as good as they were originally made out to be, if you don't understand exactly what you're merging then you shouldn't be making them at all. Half the time you'll end up with unwanted results, albeit ones that you might not even notice.

The best way to manage incompatibilities is via load order. The ONLY things you should ever bash or merge together in New Vegas are leveled lists and form ID lists.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I tried to install Wyre when I first setup new vegas, but gave up because it's a clusterfuck. I don't know much about mods besides installing via FOMM and load order stuff. I haven't have any major problems, and I currently have a setup that seems to have minimal crashes. Am I actually missing anything not having Wyre? Why would someone go through installing that mess if there is no real benefit?

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Any chrome users able to log in to the nexus after they updated the layout? It just seems to link back to the page I was on without a ?login argument or anything like that.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

I tried to install Wyre when I first setup new vegas, but gave up because it's a clusterfuck. I don't know much about mods besides installing via FOMM and load order stuff. I haven't have any major problems, and I currently have a setup that seems to have minimal crashes. Am I actually missing anything not having Wyre? Why would someone go through installing that mess if there is no real benefit?

If you use a lot of mods and are always installing and removing them, Wrye helps as it keeps track of each mods data files and knows when a file has been overwritten by another mod or deleted when uninstalling anoter mod, and can restore them for you. It also doesn't need poo poo to be converted to OMOD format, you just drop a properly laid out zip or directory into its Installers folder. The INI editor is great too; you write individual tweaks and can enable or disable them and it backs up & writes the ini for you.

That said you really don't need it for Fallout the way you do for Oblivion. Those of us who've been through that nightmare and had to learn it may as well take advantage of it, but don't bother if you don't want to spend an afternoon learning what a dozen symbols and colors indicate about each mod.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Seems like Nexus just got a graphical overhaul.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Andrast posted:

Seems like Nexus just got a graphical overhaul.

I like that they just removed negative endorsements all together. It is now against the rules at the Nexus to do anything but give praise to a mod in any sense.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Good god the new layout is atrocious. I thought the guy who ran it was a professional? This is some highschool grade poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Upmarket Mango posted:

Good god the new layout is atrocious. I thought the guy who ran it was a professional? This is some highschool grade poo poo.

Seriously. I usually check the "recent updates" page where it fits three or four days' worth of mods onto a single page that you can quickly scan, but now it's ten loving pages long.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Holy crap.. and I thought it was hard to find poo poo on that stupid site before...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously. I usually check the "recent updates" page where it fits three or four days' worth of mods onto a single page that you can quickly scan, but now it's ten loving pages long.

It's still there and not all that long, just go to files and "new today" under that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

I like that they just removed negative endorsements all together. It is now against the rules at the Nexus to do anything but give praise to a mod in any sense.

Hahahaha. Oh god, we must shelter their poor egos.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

It's still there and not all that long, just go to files and "new today" under that.

Yes, but that would involve me checking every day then. I usually just hop on there every three days or so and comb the updates / releases for anything interesting. :colbert:

We still need a Nexus icon. Can anybody fit ten different emotions into a tiny picture? Of a dong?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
POWER ARMOR KAWAII DESU!! ^^

Man.. gently caress the nexus.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We still need a Nexus icon. Can anybody fit ten different emotions into a tiny picture? Of a dong?

Any dumbass could just mspaint a bunch of psyducks and :stare: emoticons shooting out of the end of a penis, and the lovely monstrosity that resulted would look like half the mods on Nexus anyway.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just noticed that the number 3 most downloaded mod on Nexus is... wait for it... "Animated Prostitution".

:stare:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

Just noticed that the number 3 most downloaded mod on Nexus is... wait for it... "Animated Prostitution".

That one's been around forever. It's probably a port of the FO3 one, which of course was also incredibly popular.

It's not even as if the characters in the Fallout games are even that attractive by video game standards. Though I guess if one was to download a mod named "Animated prostitution", they're probably not all that concerned about the uncanny valley.

Convicted Lovebot
Jan 29, 2011

A Lamer posted:

Any chrome users able to log in to the nexus after they updated the layout? It just seems to link back to the page I was on without a ?login argument or anything like that.

Clear your cookies and/or cache.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That one's been around forever. It's probably a port of the FO3 one, which of course was also incredibly popular.

And before the FO3 version there was the Oblivion one, which of course was also incredibly popular. It even had STDs.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Smol posted:

It fell to #3? drat, people's tastes are improving.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Convicted Lovebot posted:

Clear your cookies and/or cache.

I already tried doing this, but did it again anyway just to be sure. Still nothing.

Edit: Having done everything people on the nexus have suggested, it appears the answer is "use a different browser." Cool.

A Lamer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

And before the FO3 version there was the Oblivion one, which of course was also incredibly popular. It even had STDs.

I had an idea once to do a sickness/health mod to tie in with more complex needs. If I ever did make one, I would totally add STDs just because of this.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I ever did make one, I would totally add STDs just because of this.

You drat well better bring back Jimmy Hats if you do. In multiple flavors... rad scorpion ribbed, and isotope-239 tingle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
The layout makes the nexus look like a loving blog.

Seriously, I have no idea why Bethesda doesn't do what Valve did to the Team Fortress 2 wiki, and make their own site for hosting mods for their games. They could moderate it well, and not let any of the pedo or nerdy mods into the site.

Hell, make it so only actual playable and decent mods can get in, too, and it would be great.