Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah. FASA never released rules for 100+ ton mechs, that was WizKids. They DID have rules for vehicles, specifically boats, that went up to 200 tons, though. The thing is, engines in those STILL only went up to 400, so the fastest you could go was 2/3.

Actually they later released the rules for larger vehicles. Including up to 100,000 tons for naval vessels. Vessels that took up multiple hexes (in ship-like shapes) and had special rules for turning and construction.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Luftenburg <-- 100,000 ton super carrier on Tharkad.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

PoptartsNinja posted:

It happens.

There's nothing I would've (or could've) done differently. It's just the first time I've ever been fired, and the news kinda hits you like a point-blank heavy gauss.

... But I will say I have no intention of shutting down this thread. I can spare two hours (approximately) a day to something I enjoy. The next scenarios may be a bit simpler than the previous ones, but that may not be a bad thing either.

Man that sucks, it took me 11 months to finally get a job that I'm qualified for as opposed to lovely ones cause of bills. The shock and depression suck, but it will get better dude, sorry for you.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

drat, PTN, what a bummer. Keep your head up and don't go back to WalMart no matter what.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SageSepth posted:

Man that sucks, it took me 11 months to finally get a job that I'm qualified for as opposed to lovely ones cause of bills. The shock and depression suck, but it will get better dude, sorry for you.

It took me over a year to get any steady job at all. I was working a string of temp jobs and work I could bum off friends before I landed a night shift sys admin job.

Don't let the job hunt get you down, PTN. That's the most important thing. In this economy, you'll probably have some trouble no matter how qualified you are. Just don't take it personally or let it discourage you. It wears on us all after awhile.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Zaodai posted:

Don't let the job hunt get you down, PTN. That's the most important thing. In this economy, you'll probably have some trouble no matter how qualified you are. Just don't take it personally or let it discourage you. It wears on us all after awhile.

Best advice out of Zoadai yet :smug: , but seriously, there's like 10 million unemployed/underemployed Americans dude, don't lose heart if you don't get in right away.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My best advice was to turn inferno SRMs on the women and children in the Death Commando mission. It just wasn't heeded. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

My best advice was to turn inferno SRMs on the women and children in the Death Commando mission. It just wasn't heeded. :colbert:

The hostages in that mission weren't being killed on a turn-by-turn basis, they were all killed in the last few seconds of the mission :ssh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The hostages in that mission weren't being killed on a turn-by-turn basis, they were all killed in the last few seconds of the mission :ssh:

But not with fire! Any common thug can machine gun defenseless women and children. It takes a certain level of class to cover whole groups of them with liquid fire by hitting them with a missile launcher.

:china:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

Actually they later released the rules for larger vehicles. Including up to 100,000 tons for naval vessels. Vessels that took up multiple hexes (in ship-like shapes) and had special rules for turning and construction.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Luftenburg <-- 100,000 ton super carrier on Tharkad.
Holy poo poo is that thing undercrewed for a ship of that size.....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ It's the space future. Space Warships should have waaaaaay more crew than they do (it helps that the Clan ones have harjel to immediately plug hull breaches in combat so damage control is less necessary). It's only fair that sea warships would need even less, since they're an order of magnitude smaller (even the big ones).

Zaodai posted:

But not with fire! Any common thug can machine gun defenseless women and children. It takes a certain level of class to cover whole groups of them with liquid fire by hitting them with a missile launcher.

:china:

Since that would've killed almost every infantryman in the same hex, and building fires would've killed the rest, that is--less sound a plan than you believe.

VVV Just because you're rabble doesn't make you suicidal.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 23, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't say it was sound, just that it was classy. The infantrymen weren't Death Commandos, they were just standard Capellan rabble. And if there is anything the CC do not lack, it is rabble. =P

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Zaodai posted:

I didn't say it was sound, just that it was classy. The infantrymen weren't Death Commandos, they were just standard Capellan rabble. And if there is anything the CC do not lack, it is rabble. =P

Yeah, but the Death Commandos are the ones fanatical enough to set themselves on fire, not the rabble.

Of course, the DCs would certainly set the Rabble on fire, too, but I think there were none remaining in a position to gallantly torch their countrymen to ensure the slaughter of innocent women and children.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Maybe next mission we'll play a disgruntled ex-Comstar employee who got fired for bullshit reasons and is piloting a Atlas 7D and hellbent on causing as much destruction as possible against his former employees?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Affi posted:

Maybe next mission we'll play a disgruntled ex-Comstar employee who got fired for bullshit reasons and is piloting a Atlas 7D and hellbent on causing as much destruction as possible against his former employees?
That would be awesome :allears:

PTN - I wish you luck with your job hunt, I know how it feels to be unemployed.

Regarding Mechwarrior Reboot and Harmony Gold - I might be wrong but I believe in past year or two S&T released some statement claiming that they're still working on the game and that Harmony gold was not in fact responsible for the slowdown.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Malek Deneith posted:

That would be awesome :allears:

PTN - I wish you luck with your job hunt, I know how it feels to be unemployed.

Regarding Mechwarrior Reboot and Harmony Gold - I might be wrong but I believe in past year or two S&T released some statement claiming that they're still working on the game and that Harmony gold was not in fact responsible for the slowdown.

Yeah they did actually work on DNF so it makes sense that everything else was put on hold for that.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

At this point I'm just trying to imagine how Catalyst could justify something so huge being able to exist and function other than "1980s in space" :v:

Surface-to-orbit denial weapons mass in the hundreds to thousands of tons. That's why.

More importantly, the ground pressure of such a crawler is actually not as high as a giant murder robot's at first glance, which allows it more mobility than you'd think. Not that it needs it much, its first and foremost role is to deploy its anti-orbital missile launcher against incoming dropships.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Sorry to hear that about your job. Best of luck finding a new one, PTN. :)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Good luck, Poptarts. Though I question the safety of the decision of Walmart to piss off the Obsidian Order.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ It's the space future. Space Warships should have waaaaaay more crew than they do (it helps that the Clan ones have harjel to immediately plug hull breaches in combat so damage control is less necessary). It's only fair that sea warships would need even less, since they're an order of magnitude smaller (even the big ones).
Yeah but still man, there's an order of magnitude between the crew sizes on that and a Nimitz class carrier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but still man, there's an order of magnitude between the crew sizes on that and a Nimitz class carrier.

Battletech computers may look primitive, but they're really not (most of them are that degree of 'magic' the 1980s wished all computers would be: capable of instantaneous data processing and decision making but totally incapable of doing anything with either without someone around to tell them what to do).

Mostly, the Battletech developers simply didn't take maintainance into account. Sure, they make a show of it with techs, but the simple thing is the only unit in the Inner Sphere with enough technicians to actually take care of everything are Camacho's Caballeros who are pretty much a 1:1 ratio of technicians to 'Mechs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, you can reduce the number of crew required by automation and better design (See the drop in crew requirements for warships over the years), but eventually you'll hit a point where it starts to negatively impact damage control and maintenance. The crew of the supercarrier should be in the thousands, not the hundreds. Add a 0 to those numbers and you're probably closer to reality.

Carriers also tend to have more crew than other ships due to the added requirements of the air wing. The Nimitz Class, for example, is around 3,000 crew and almost the same again for the flight operations/pilots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, people sometimes forget that those ships are basically floating self-contained cities. They need people to do laundry, cook, wash dishes, mop the floors, take out the garbage (and sort it and process it), move provisions in and out of storage, paint the walls, fix the toilets, stock the restrooms... check equipment in and out, put paper into the printers, change lightbulbs, replace air filters. Not to mention all the maintenance of important machinery. A ship that size has its own machine shop, making and repairing parts.

And you need three or four shifts for all positions that must be constantly manned. Not just bridge crew, but engineering, arms, etc. Unless you just turn the ship off and let everyone sleep and have dinner and hope there's no fighting or steering or need to adjust an engine or anything during that time.

Computers can automate a lot of data, coms, radar, that kind of thing, but unless you've got like thousands of sophisticated robots (true robots, not robot-shaped vehicles driven by people) to do all that stuff, it's all got to have people behind it, and a lot of those people have to be specialized, and they all gotta eat and poop and have downtime and recreation and exercise and medical treatment, and all the goods that support that have to be stored and cataloged and tracked and managed and moved and disposed of.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You need some airplanes, too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

You need some airplanes, too.

Or LAMs. Except the advantage of a LAM is, it doesn't need a runway so why the hell would you build an aircraft carrier for one?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, people sometimes forget that those ships are basically floating self-contained cities. They need people to do laundry, cook, wash dishes, mop the floors, take out the garbage (and sort it and process it), move provisions in and out of storage, paint the walls, fix the toilets, stock the restrooms... check equipment in and out, put paper into the printers, change lightbulbs, replace air filters. Not to mention all the maintenance of important machinery. A ship that size has its own machine shop, making and repairing parts.

And you need three or four shifts for all positions that must be constantly manned. Not just bridge crew, but engineering, arms, etc. Unless you just turn the ship off and let everyone sleep and have dinner and hope there's no fighting or steering or need to adjust an engine or anything during that time.

Computers can automate a lot of data, coms, radar, that kind of thing, but unless you've got like thousands of sophisticated robots (true robots, not robot-shaped vehicles driven by people) to do all that stuff, it's all got to have people behind it, and a lot of those people have to be specialized, and they all gotta eat and poop and have downtime and recreation and exercise and medical treatment, and all the goods that support that have to be stored and cataloged and tracked and managed and moved and disposed of.

This. Without extremely complex automation, having a crew of 300 manning a 100,000 ton aircraft carrier would be impossible. You'd probably need that many people around on one shift just to fix all the machines that make life easier! I've been on three tours on a Nimitz class and believe me, almost everyone is working for at least 12 hours a day. With a skeleton crew of 200, you might not even have enough people to keep the ship properly powered, let alone sailing and fighting. My F/A-18 squadron of 12 aircraft had around 175 maintainers (not counting the administrative types and the actual pilots) and we were undermanned!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or LAMs. Except the advantage of a LAM is, it doesn't need a runway so why the hell would you build an aircraft carrier for one?

Response time would be the big thing, I expect. Also, unless there are rearm/resupply stations posted literally everywhere on the planet, you're gonna' need ammo at some point. Not to mention the ability to retrieve downed pilots, if that is even a thing in the setting.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Casualty posted:

This. Without extremely complex automation, having a crew of 300 manning a 100,000 ton aircraft carrier would be impossible. You'd probably need that many people around on one shift just to fix all the machines that make life easier! I've been on three tours on a Nimitz class and believe me, almost everyone is working for at least 12 hours a day. With a skeleton crew of 200, you might not even have enough people to keep the ship properly powered, let alone sailing and fighting. My F/A-18 squadron of 12 aircraft had around 175 maintainers (not counting the administrative types and the actual pilots) and we were undermanned!

The real magic of the BT setting's equipment is how durable it is, I think. You have mechs that have been in constant combat for CENTURIES and they'll still work fine.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

Don't worry about this thread. Focus on real life, and I wish you the best of luck.

Yeah, what he said. Maybe you should spend your 99 weeks of unemployment writing a BT novel. Hell, make it a crossover with Star Trek, you can have Data wrestling an elemental on the cover and Picard can have a fling with some scarred, one-eyed Star Colonel babe.

Good luck, dude.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mech-scale stairs and bunk beds take up even more space than the equivalent for a regular aircraft carrier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, good news, I have a job interview tomorrow.

It looks like ??? is going to win as well, voting will close shortly so any last minute undecideds should probably choose.

I haven't shown off any Clan light 'Mechs yet. This seems like as good an opportunity as any (edit: and by that I mean: I've been waiting to use any Clan light 'Mechs until ??? finally won the vote).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 24, 2011

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

The real magic of the BT setting's equipment is how durable it is, I think. You have mechs that have been in constant combat for CENTURIES and they'll still work fine.

The only thing that was never LosTech was Bondo, Bailing Wire, and Duct Tape.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Taerkar posted:

The only thing that was never LosTech was Bondo, Bailing Wire, and Duct Tape.

Duct Tape is the secret to how easy it is to configure Omnimechs :ssh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

Duct Tape is the secret to how easy it is to configure Omnimechs :ssh:

That, and the Clans never figured out how to properly firewall their weapons systems. Plug-and-play really is the future of the 80s!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

PoptartsNinja posted:

That, and the Clans never figured out how to properly firewall their weapons systems. Plug-and-play really is the future of the 80s!

So all the IS needs to win is Jeff Goldblum and a Powerbook?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

So all the IS needs to win is Jeff Goldblum and a Powerbook?

Apple Computers may own a planet, but their operating system is Lostech.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, good news, I have a job interview tomorrow.

It looks like ??? is going to win as well, voting will close shortly so any last minute undecideds should probably choose.

I haven't shown off any Clan light 'Mechs yet. This seems like as good an opportunity as any (edit: and by that I mean: I've been waiting to use any Clan light 'Mechs until ??? finally won the vote).

Good luck at the interview, hope it goes well.

Really excited to see Clan lights. Sure the fire power of the heavies is scary, but with the IS only tech level 1... Hoo boy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's not entirely inaccurate even today, since they just started sticking a cat name to BSD and charging people for it.

Good luck with the interview man.

:allears: I hope we get to see a Vixen/Incubus in action.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

:allears: I hope we get to see a Vixen/Incubus in action.

I was planning on it, but then I bumped into a Star-league Era light 'Mech that demanded a IIC variant.

I am, of course, talking about the Jackrabbit.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was planning on it, but then I bumped into a Star-league Era light 'Mech that demanded a IIC variant.

You sir are my hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but looking at the Jackrabbit's successor, http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nexus, I :swoon: a bit. It looks like a baby Nova Cat.

• Locked thread