Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Fox of Stone posted:

It's George's movie and you can like it or hate it but it is what it is. I'm going to buy it but seriously guys it looks like a huge case of nerd entitlement "boohoo he didn't do it the way I wanted!"

For all we know, the flying gungans on x-wings could be the way that star wars was meant to be made and if you're a real star wars fan you'd go to conventions in a gungan x-wing costume......which seems pretty cool so I might do it.

That's why I'm not against him tinkering with his own film - he made it, he should be allowed to do whatever with it.

I just like the first version of the OT more than the recent ones. I mean, if they remade Casablanca so that Ingrid Bergman stays with Humphrey Bogart and said that was the intended ending, I would probably still prefer the version in which she doesn't.

Mister Roboto posted:

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Professor X

[B]

Both sides can predict the other's moves--Xavier reads minds, Jedi can see things before they happen. So either one making a move has already been seen. That'd be one hell of a chess match as they'd have to do things WITHOUT thinking.

Would watch this for hours :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That's why I'm not against him tinkering with his own film - he made it, he should be allowed to do whatever with it.

I just like the first version of the OT more than the recent ones. I mean, if they remade Casablanca so that Ingrid Bergman stays with Humphrey Bogart and said that was the intended ending, I would probably still prefer the version in which she doesn't.

Oh no, I wasn't talking specifically to you since your reply was reasonable and agreed with what I said. I just know that there's always a nerd group that DEMANDS that George (Jorge) caves into their wishes. I still have the OT on VHS too and I can watch those but I'll watch and enjoy the bluray versions as well.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Oh no, I wasn't talking specifically to you since your reply was reasonable and agreed with what I said. I just know that there's always a nerd group that DEMANDS that George (Jorge) caves into their wishes. I still have the OT on VHS too and I can watch those but I'll watch and enjoy the bluray versions as well.

Yeah, I know what you mean. And it's not like I hate the Special Editions, it's still Star Wars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Obi-Wan wins; Prof X doesn't even loving know how to play.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Captain von Trapp posted:

The only reasonable explanation is that he refuses to include the originals out of pure spite. That's fine. My money will stay in my wallet.

If he included the originals everybody would buy a copy and be done with it, whereas releasing a new special edition every decade is like a license to print money.

edit: Doesn't altering the film reset the copyright expiration countdown again? If so, releasing an altered version every ten years and never re-releasing the originals or any of the prior alterations would keep the films from ever falling into the public domain. (Well, the earlier versions would eventually become public domain but if all existing copies have succumbed to laser rot it doesn't matter.)

Also, somebody posted this a hundred pages back or so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

that awful man fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 23, 2011

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well, here's what George had to say...

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

... in 1988

Maybe we can sue George for the negatives? v:geno:v

Man.... are we really dragging this bit out? I remember talking about that in 1998.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Fox of Stone posted:

It's George's movie and you can like it or hate it but it is what it is. I'm going to buy it but seriously guys it looks like a huge case of nerd entitlement "boohoo he didn't do it the way I wanted!"

The George that directed those films disagreed with you at the time, but I don't have any problem with his changes. The problem is the systematic attempt to suppress previous versions. They're an important part of film history. Maybe that is nerd rage, but surely not much worse than a librarian who'd dislike an author coming in and scratching out offending passages in his own former work.

And Lucas is the copyright owner, but it's quite a leap from that to thinking of "his" movies even in the same way you'd think of the sole author of a novel. Not only were the movies a collaborative effort between hundreds of people, he didn't even direct V and VI.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I'm honestly fine with him doing what he wants, but refusing to release the originals when lots of people want them is a tad blinkered, wouldn't you say?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well, here's what George had to say...

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

... in 1988

Maybe we can sue George for the negatives? v:geno:v

Well to be fair he's talking about editing other people's films, and considers these "his" (I know, I know, group effort, Marcia Lucas did editing etc, I read "Secret History of Star Wars". I'm talking it from his point of view).

And I'm hoping the changes are like the deleted scene being added back to Jedi like was shown months ago, but considering they said changes plural there has to be more...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

astrollinthepork posted:

Man.... are we really dragging this bit out? I remember talking about that in 1998.

To be honest, I only learned of this a few months ago.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well to be fair he's talking about editing other people's films, and considers these "his" (I know, I know, group effort, Marcia Lucas did editing etc, I read "Secret History of Star Wars". I'm talking it from his point of view).

And I'm hoping the changes are like the deleted scene being added back to Jedi like was shown months ago, but considering they said changes plural there has to be more...

I know, it's still amusing to post even though it's relevance is questionable. Same as the Plinkett reviews quoting George in the whole "An effect without a story isn't all that good" nonsense.

Lucas seemed to have all kinds of integrity and interest in the independent filmmaker prior to 1998. It's almost as if he suffered a head injury at some point prior to the Special Editions.

Hindsight being what it is, I think Lucas had the best of intentions with the SE's, and even with the Prequels. I think the fan-backlash and "battered childhood syndrome" nerds have pushed him into a corner where he feels he needs to defend himself by doing things like throwing the Gungan in at the end of ROTJ.

As to why he won't release the OT without the SE cuts, I've no idea. But I suspect the argument regarding the quality of the original negatives being inferior to the SE scans made in 1998 remains questionable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

George is notoriously hard on himself, according to people who know him. I think he regards the original editions as "imperfect" despite all the praise given to him. Like how an author is always the most critical of his work than anyone else because he knows what he WANTED as opposed to what he GOT taken to an extreme.

I think it's partially that and partially hoping by removing the originals from existance people can no longer complain or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/starwarsbds/preview.html posted:

On the audio front, you will be very pleased to know that most of the audio complaints fans had about these films on DVD - about particularly Episode IV - have been addressed and fixed for Blu-ray. For example, many of you will recall that in the 2004 Episode IV DVD release, the music in the rear channels of the 5.1 mix was often reversed. (Credit to Bits reader Neil S. Bulk who first brought that issue to our attention back in 2004.) You should all be very be pleased to know that that's no longer the case. Finally... fixed!

Jesus, I'm glad to hear that. You have no idea how the soundtrack being switch has ruined my viewing experie

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't think it's spite - he GENUINELY thinks these revisions make the films better, and no-one near him seems to dare to tell him he's drawing Groucho glasses and eyebrows on the Mona Lisa*.
It actually is spite, at least to a degree. Spite and hatred. The OT was as it was because he had his now-ex wife around to tell him "no, that's stupid." They went through a divorce and now he's a bitter, bitter man who doesn't want anything around that reminds him of her or her influence.

This potentially means that we may one day see releases with all the main actors replaced with midgets, as George originally wanted it.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 27, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

OK, posting here because its more alive then the book thread. Just finished reading the Dark nest trilogy review on there. So my question...please nobody get offended, I genuinely don't know. Were the Bug Orgies (TM) more prolific in the books? because the review mad it sound like it was only once in the first book and then referenced a few times after that.

I mean the whole thing sounds awful. And I read the NJO. But just the weak Jacen wants ta be eval cause angst. The Killik having literally no reason to be sided with despite Jedi siding with them because kinky sex? Whatever, so it sucked. Bad.

But yeah is bug orgies just a fun EU meme or was it more relevant/described :cry: in the books?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bug Orgies were a minor point of the story that took up about 5 pages in the Dark Nest Trilogy. The problem is that the series sucked so badly in every other way too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bug Orgies were a minor point of the story that took up about 5 pages in the Dark Nest Trilogy. The problem is that the series sucked so badly in every other way too.

Ok, this is exactly what I got from the "lets read" but, I wasnt sure because bug orgies is such a go to meme. So is force cthulu...and I have no Idea about that yet.

But even being once... lets have our next get female jedi super plot character Jiana gently caress a bunch of bugs... Does not seem like a good direction for the EU.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this thread is huge.

I hate the prequels as much as anyone, but a friend told me that there is evidence in the film (somewhere?) that Qui-Gon is the real father of Anakin. After all, he knew just where to find the boy, though to me that isn't so much evidence as plot hole.

And I....bug orgies? Do you mean to tell me there are loving bug orgies in goddamn Star Wars? Jedi are forbidden to love but being in a cockroach train is fine?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Not just a cockroach train, you're in a train with cockroaches and EVERYTHING ELSE that's in the hive.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is huge.

I hate the prequels as much as anyone, but a friend told me that there is evidence in the film (somewhere?) that Qui-Gon is the real father of Anakin. After all, he knew just where to find the boy, though to me that isn't so much evidence as plot hole.

And I....bug orgies? Do you mean to tell me there are loving bug orgies in goddamn Star Wars? Jedi are forbidden to love but being in a cockroach train is fine?

It's heavily implied that Darth Plagueis is the one that created Anakin.

wookiepedia posted:

"It was confirmed that Darth Plagueis had the ability to create or sustain life through manipulation of midi-chlorians, and Skywalker's conception bore a notable resemblance to this concept. As if to hint this to Skywalker, Palpatine emphasized "life" and turned to Skywalker when he was being told the "Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise""

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

In earlier drafts it was flat-out stated he was. George just toned it down for some reason (perhaps to give himself wiggle room).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
For some reason, the one scene in any Star Wars media that bugs me the most, within the whole story of space magic, light swords, and sado-masochistic Force immune bio-technophiles, is the scene in the Death Star where a guy stands up to Darth Vader, and flat out tells him he doesn't believe in the Force. The guy looked to be in his 40's, meaning he would have been in his 20's during the Clone Wars. He would have scene the war clips. He would of been told in history class about how the Jedi have been around for loving millennia. He probably met some Jedi! How the gently caress can he not believe in the Force, or at least the power of the Jedi? He's like the atheists in the Discworld novels.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
^^ When the Republic fell weren't there only like 10,000 Jedi to some trillions of Galactic citizens? If that officer was just some punk kid during the Clone Wars that was peeling space potatoes until Episode 3 it's not completely unrealistic that he'd never have seen a Jedi. And I think Palpatine suppressed a lot of the facts about the Jedi. So they'd probably be in the same league as Viking berserkers, Native Americans that were immune to bullets, and Vlad the Impaler being a vampire.

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Not that it would make things that much better...

Something in my gut says it's Jar Jar. Jar Jar is the one who handed Palpatine the Republic and despite the Imperial racism, he probably lived out the rest of his days as some kind of retired hero. He lucked his way into killing a ton of droids in ep 1 and 2. I think the worst that he got was that people from Naboo may think of him as the ultimate Benedict Arnold/Uncle Tom of the galaxy.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
No no no, the answer is: its a movie pew pew zoom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

He would have scene the war clips. He would of been told in history class about how the Jedi have been around for loving millennia. He probably met some Jedi! How the gently caress can he not believe in the Force, or at least the power of the Jedi? He's like the atheists in the Discworld novels.
If I recall he doesn't outright deny the Force as such, he denies that it's terribly powerful; it sure didn't save the Jedi, after all, or let them take over the galaxy successfully! For all I know the story may be that Jedi were delusional psionics who built a cult around their wild talents.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Razorwired posted:

Something in my gut says it's Jar Jar.
It's almost certainly not Jar-Jar shouting "Wesa free." He actually remained one of the Empire's strongest non-human supporters because he's just that stupid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This is kind of a fun promotion for the Blu-Rays. http://moments.starwars.com/scene/245

I remember the first time I saw this scene as a child, I fist pumped. I love how even as a kid I immediately knew what an Ion Cannon did and why it was different from a regular blaster.

edit: holy crap what happened to Carrie Fisher. that's some serious facial surgery. http://clubjade.net/?p=29917

edit: VVV yeah I know people age, but she looks so different. hmm, maybe I just haven't seen a super recent pic of her.

alg fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 24, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
poo poo also happens when you're on the north side of "middle aged". I mean, look at Mark Hamill too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

arioch posted:

poo poo also happens when you're on the north side of "middle aged". I mean, look at Mark Hamill too.

Yeah, regular people without access to all kinds of pricey cosmetic treatments tend to look like that :shobon:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

angrylinuxgeek posted:

edit: holy crap what happened to Carrie Fisher. that's some serious facial surgery.

Cocaine. Lots of cocaine.

edit: Oh wait, I see what you mean now. Her face isn't moving. Yeah, that's facial surgery. Yikes.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 24, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

arioch posted:

Nah dude, check out the vid, she looks way different than she did even a couple years ago when she guest starred on 30 Rock.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I like Mark Hamill's look nowadays. He looks like a person who has aged somewhat naturally, like he could be your uncle or something. He seems like a fun guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how "new" this news is but I just read about how not even the prequels are safe from Lucas' monkeying around as he's replacing TPM's puppet Yoda with a CG version.

Not sure how to feel about this because while it's more after the fact loving with the movie that puppet was goddamn HORRIBLE.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how "new" this news is but I just read about how not even the prequels are safe from Lucas' monkeying around as he's replacing TPM's puppet Yoda with a CG version.

Not sure how to feel about this because while it's more after the fact loving with the movie that puppet was goddamn HORRIBLE.

I'm actually for this change. The CG model, while painfully obvious, still bears a stronger resemblance to the original Yoda.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So, what would the best Extended Universe media(books, comics, etc.)? I know the most important ones for the series from the opening post, but I was looking more for quality.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, what would the best Extended Universe media(books, comics, etc.)? I know the most important ones for the series from the opening post, but I was looking more for quality.

The list immediately below that list is of the better Star Wars EU authors.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

arioch posted:

The list immediately below that list is of the better Star Wars EU authors.
That'll work, I just was thinking there were some particular works they had done that may be especially good. In return for answering my stupid question, have something adorable and Star Wars related: http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/sw_chronicles_young_skywalker/

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 26, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That'll work, I just was thinking there were some particular works they had done that may be especially good. In return for answering my stupid question, have something adorable and Star Wars related: http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/sw_chronicles_young_skywalker/

Start with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, if you haven't read that already. It's the high point of the Star Wars EU. Also, the first in a trilogy. It's not only one of the more important series in the EU, it's also the best.

Also, since you said "media" and not just books, if you haven't played the Knights of the Old Republic games, check both of those out as well. High quality game play and story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

Also, since you said "media" and not just books, if you haven't played the Knights of the Old Republic games, check both of those out as well. High quality game play and story.

Obligatory disagreement post here, because I hate Bioware games, I hate their generic plug-and-play template characters, I hate their mad-lib fill-in-the-blank storylines, I hate the old-timey-everything-is-the-same bullshit cop-out Old Republic setting (I also hate the other Old Republic setting, which has fauns and LOTR oliphaunts and spears and wooden airboats going *FOOM* *FOOM* *FOOM*), and I loving hate their binary alignment bullshit where you have to either be a saint or a devil.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

arioch posted:

Obligatory disagreement post here, because I hate Bioware games, I hate their generic plug-and-play template characters, I hate their mad-lib fill-in-the-blank storylines, I hate the old-timey-everything-is-the-same bullshit cop-out Old Republic setting (I also hate the other Old Republic setting, which has fauns and LOTR oliphaunts and spears and wooden airboats going *FOOM* *FOOM* *FOOM*), and I loving hate their binary alignment bullshit where you have to either be a saint or a devil.

Normally I agree with you but I think KOTOR was fine for black and white morality since black and white morality is a valid way to interpret the Star Wars cosmology. KOTOR1 really felt like a star wars movie to me, just padded out with mcguffins and side quests.
KOTOR also came out before that story/character template was established, I think it was the first one to do it, since baldur's gate really didn't.

KOTOR 2 (which is not done by Bioware fyi) is also one of the better written games ever, though I still have reservations about it because I just cant get over how incomplete it feels (who's fault it is doesn't really change it for me) and it doesn't always "feel" like Star Wars, more of some guy's deconstructionist essay done as a video game.

And to add some game suggestions of my own, The Jedi Knight series if you haven't played them are also a "Big deal" in the Star Wars EU. I've been playing through them since Dark Forces since my laptop broke so I'm using a lame loaner. They hold up pretty well, though maybe not the original Dark Forces game (Runs on a heavily modified DOOM engine), starting with Dark Forces: Jedi Knight is still pretty fun. Jedi Outcast is considered one of the better Star Wars titles, where Jedi Academy has a poor story but the most refined gameplay. It really made lightsaber battles fun.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I recently started rereading Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston. I'm actually a little surprised by how well it holds up years after reading it the first time.

Got to the part where Piggy rides the makeshift rocket into the Imperial Corvette hangar and takes over the ship and basically realized I was reading the A-Team in Space. poo poo's good, man.

Maybe that's why the books he's writing for the latest series aren't even a fraction as much fun. It's hard to go wrong with a premise like "A-Team in Space".