Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

The best part about it is that GRRM is right. I knew it right when both of them constantly prayed with one another. And the whole Margaery thing. So awkward.

Yeah it's just that the way he talks about it doesn't really jive with the idea that it's a little side-mystery to reward astute readers. I honestly think it does a lot for Margaery's character if you understand their relationship right away, she comes across as much more of an intense schemer-type. Contrasted with Sansa, who was obsessed with romance and making royal babies, Margaery is totally content to play beard to her brother's man in exchange for station and power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty early on I was wondering if Renly was gay, or can he just not get it up, or what, and then the more stuff unfolds with Renly and Loras the more it pointed toward the gay thing. And I think it was "someplace Renly never found" combined with "prayed with him all night/it's been so long" that made me go "Huh, yeah, they must be gay lovers. Nice to finally see a fantasy author who doesn't make a huge deal out of it."

A fantasy story with no male homosexuals (or no homosexuality at all), is generally not that distracting to me, but the author making a big deal of having a homosexual (particularly male) character tends to be really off-putting and destructive to immersion. "THIS CHARACTER IS A GAY MAN, HE LOVES PENISES, SOMETIMES EVEN IN HIS BUTT. HE DOES NOT LIKE WOMEN, HE LIKES MEN, BECAUSE HE IS GAY, AND THAT'S OKAY, YES, THIS IS THE ~EDGY~ SETTING I AM WRITING IN! LOOK AT ME! MY BOOK HAS A MAN WHO LIKES DICKS!"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hailthefish posted:

Pretty early on I was wondering if Renly was gay, or can he just not get it up, or what, and then the more stuff unfolds with Renly and Loras the more it pointed toward the gay thing. And I think it was "someplace Renly never found" combined with "prayed with him all night/it's been so long" that made me go "Huh, yeah, they must be gay lovers. Nice to finally see a fantasy author who doesn't make a huge deal out of it."

A fantasy story with no male homosexuals (or no homosexuality at all), is generally not that distracting to me, but the author making a big deal of having a homosexual (particularly male) character tends to be really off-putting and destructive to immersion. "THIS CHARACTER IS A GAY MAN, HE LOVES PENISES, SOMETIMES EVEN IN HIS BUTT. HE DOES NOT LIKE WOMEN, HE LIKES MEN, BECAUSE HE IS GAY, AND THAT'S OKAY, YES, THIS IS THE ~EDGY~ SETTING I AM WRITING IN! LOOK AT ME! MY BOOK HAS A MAN WHO LIKES DICKS!"

This is exactly why I enjoyed the Renly/Loras relationship. It's never outright stated, but the subtle implications make it very clear, and apart from derision from the series' other dickhole characters, it's not a ~oh hey there's some homos here do you see them hint hint whisper whisper SCREAM IN YOUR FACE GAY WE ARE FLAMERS~ thing

at least, god, at least not even close to the amount of obvious, in-your-face lesbianism. And that would be fine if it never involved Myrish swamps... except it does. Ugh.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I thought the Loras/Renly romance was about as explicit it could get considering the PoV structure and Westeros's culture.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

In Westeros, it certainly is. I for one enjoyed figuring it out somewhere near the end of the first book and facepalming at the myriad of small hints that GRRM left for the reader along the way. Being hoodwinked by a good writer is fun - I don't know why it always has to be about homophobia.

Yeah as the last couple posters said hes not trying to hoodwink you and keep it a secret so much as none of the POVs are in a situation to check out Renly/Loras firsthand, and the comments are pretty blatant by book 2.

Its cool you like discovering deeper meanings and I don't think you're homophobic but GRRM doesnt mean it to be a puzzle.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

hailthefish posted:

I feel the same way but about pretty much all sex-obsessed type characters of any preference. It might be because I'm chemically castrated due to medical issues myself, but I much prefer it when that kind of stuff is background motivation rather than in the forefront of the story, and probably why Tyrion as a character irritates the poo poo out of me even though he seems to be a fan favorite. I guess it also explains why I like ADWD Theon more too. :shobon:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Unzip and Attack posted:

In the original TV show thread, I made this exact point and was shouted down by people who called me a bigot. Nevermind that I insisted their relationship was actually really well written in my opinion - the fact that I wanted it to be more subtle and a gradual reveal rather than BJs and slurp sounds meant that I hate gay people and want them all to stay in the closet.

As I stated earlier, this subject always comes up in GRRM threads because the new goonsay is to see discrimination everywhere, all the time.

My favourite example of GoT-related goon witch hunting was when, around episode 5 or so, some guy said that people who don't like Arya are obviously misogynists who feel threatened by strong female characters, and a few pages later a different self-appointed defensor oppressorum popped up to claim that Arya-fans are obviously misogynists because "[they] only like female characters when they exhibit masculine traits" :wtc: (both statements were debated in earnest by the thread).

It bears repeating, if it wasn't sufficiently obvious already: engaging in Internet discussion, even in a heavily moderated environment like SA, absolutely demands a thick skin. Someone, somewhere, is almost guaranteed to take offence at your opinion, and being unable to ignore a baseless insinuation is a good recipe for wasting your day, or even ruining your mood.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

YES bread posted:

I feel the same way but about pretty much all sex-obsessed type characters of any preference. It might be because I'm chemically castrated due to medical issues myself, but I much prefer it when that kind of stuff is background motivation rather than in the forefront of the story, and probably why Tyrion as a character irritates the poo poo out of me even though he seems to be a fan favorite. I guess it also explains why I like ADWD Theon more too. :shobon:

I don't know if this appropriate, but a Ask Me About Being Chemically Castrated thread would be very interesting. Dunno if your comfortable with that, but I would be interested in the why/how and what effects etc aspect of that.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

My favourite example of GoT-related goon witch hunting was when, around episode 5 or so, some guy said that people who don't like Arya are obviously misogynists who feel threatened by strong female characters, and a few pages later a different self-appointed defensor oppressorum popped up to claim that Arya-fans are obviously misogynists because "[they] only like female characters when they exhibit masculine traits" :wtc: (both statements were debated in earnest by the thread).

It bears repeating, if it wasn't sufficiently obvious already: engaging in Internet discussion, even in a heavily moderated environment like SA, absolutely demands a thick skin. Someone, somewhere, is almost guaranteed to take offence at your opinion, and being unable to ignore a baseless insinuation is a good recipe for wasting your day, or even ruining your mood.

I think the conclusion here is that all goons who enjoy fantasy are misogynistic simply by definition

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Apologies if this has been covered already, only managed to read the book many weeks after release and searched the thread though didn't see anything, but while there are many people putting forward the Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne theory I came away from the book with another reading. Considering the Dayne's are said to be very Targaryen, Edric Dayne specifically is noted for purple eyes, and the use of the title "mummer's dragon" to describe Aegon in Dany's vision made me think that Aegon Targaryen is instead the bastard son of a Stark (either Eddard or Brandon) and Ashara Dayne while Lemore is the mysterious Wylla the wetnurse.

It's always been assumed that Ned fathered a bastard by the people in Westeros, though we don't accept Jon is actually his and he's covering for Lyanna and Rhaegar, but what if Ned did in fact have a bastard just not the bastard he brought home? Aegon would be of an age with the Ned/Ashara bastard and fit the chronology. While we know nothing of Wylla physically, other than Edric Dayne referring to her as his wetnurse in Starfall, we can be fairly sure Lemure does not have the purple eyes of the Dayne's as Tyrion would have noticed but Wylla being the wetnurse of the Stark/Dayne bastard and then his "septa" may fit.

Also don't believe Ramsay's letter at all, or that he even sent it - the letter constantly refers to Jon as "bastard" but from Theon's chapters it is apparent Ramsay, being a psychopath, hates references to Snow or bastards as it reminds him of his own low-born status. Even referring to Jon as a bastard would send him nuts.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Lid posted:

Apologies if this has been covered already, only managed to read the book many weeks after release and searched the thread though didn't see anything, but while there are many people putting forward the Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne theory I came away from the book with another reading. Considering the Dayne's are said to be very Targaryen, Edric Dayne specifically is noted for purple eyes, and the use of the title "mummer's dragon" to describe Aegon in Dany's vision made me think that Aegon Targaryen is instead the bastard son of a Stark (either Eddard or Brandon) and Ashara Dayne while Lemore is the mysterious Wylla the wetnurse.

It's always been assumed that Ned fathered a bastard by the people in Westeros, though we don't accept Jon is actually his and he's covering for Lyanna and Rhaegar, but what if Ned did in fact have a bastard just not the bastard he brought home? Aegon would be of an age with the Ned/Ashara bastard and fit the chronology. While we know nothing of Wylla physically, other than Edric Dayne referring to her as his wetnurse in Starfall, we can be fairly sure Lemure does not have the purple eyes of the Dayne's as Tyrion would have noticed but Wylla being the wetnurse of the Stark/Dayne bastard and then his "septa" may fit.

Also don't believe Ramsay's letter at all, or that he even sent it - the letter constantly refers to Jon as "bastard" but from Theon's chapters it is apparent Ramsay, being a psychopath, hates references to Snow or bastards as it reminds him of his own low-born status. Even referring to Jon as a bastard would send him nuts.

That would be inconsistent with his personality though. Catelyn often reflects in her inner monologues that it was strange that of all people Eddard would father a bastard, it is one of the main reasons people believe in the L+R=J theory. On the other hand Robb is described as Eddard, part 2, so who knows.

Personally I think septa Lemore is the mother of one of the sand snakes (one of their mothers was said to be a septa), it might make sense to bring her along to get make some people in Dorne happy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

kanonvandekempen posted:

That would be inconsistent with his personality though. Catelyn often reflects in her inner monologues that it was strange that of all people Eddard would father a bastard, it is one of the main reasons people believe in the L+R=J theory. On the other hand Robb is described as Eddard, part 2, so who knows.

Personally I think septa Lemore is the mother of one of the sand snakes (one of their mothers was said to be a septa), it might make sense to bring her along to get make some people in Dorne happy.

True but it is why I included the possibility of it being Brandon Stark's bastard - it was pointed out somewhere else that in Barristan's POV talking about his unrequited love for Ashara that she was defiled by "Stark" but it doesn't specify which Stark. Given Barristan's advice to Dany in which he talked up Eddard as an honourable man on the wrong side of the war it seems unlikely that Barristan would internally resent Eddard and hate him and say the opposite. GRRM loves this literary tricking where he gives you just enough information to make an assumption but on a second reading it's a bit more vague (the other major one in this book being Jon Snow being Azor Ahai).

Edit: It's doubtful it's Tyene Sand's mother as Tyene is blonde with blue eyes while Lemore is brown haired (eyes unknown) and Oberyn was black haired.

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 23, 2011

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I'm pretty sure the Targaryens trained their dragons to become gay. Yes, they were trained. You can train dragons to be gay, if you have the right blood.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I must say that the treatment of Loras' homosexuality in the book is pretty progressive. He's the greatest knight in the kingdom, kicks all kinds of rear end on the field,is one of the bodyguard of the King, and doesn't really mince around. He's a strong knight who happens to love Renly's lance. That whole Knight of Flowers thing even makes sense, as he's from Highgarden.

Lid posted:

I was wondering about this myself. Reminding someone of one's bastard status does not seem Ramsay's style and I'm thinking someone else wrote it. Not Roose. Roose is far too chill for something like that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

In the original TV show thread, I made this exact point and was shouted down by people who called me a bigot. Nevermind that I insisted their relationship was actually really well written in my opinion - the fact that I wanted it to be more subtle and a gradual reveal rather than BJs and slurp sounds meant that I hate gay people and want them all to stay in the closet.

As I stated earlier, this subject always comes up in GRRM threads because the new goonsay is to see discrimination everywhere, all the time.

Every character exposition that was provided via POV thoughts in the book is given with a stand in whore or sitting in bed in the show. Since Renly is gay, he had to give his thoughts with his boyfriend instead.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

hailthefish posted:

You must have loved Dumbledore then.

Mad Hamish posted:

I was wondering about this myself. Reminding someone of one's bastard status does not seem Ramsay's style and I'm thinking someone else wrote it. Not Roose. Roose is far too chill for something like that.

I had a different take: Ramsay Snow hates when anyone else calls him a bastard and not a Bolton. He goes ballistic because he doesn't consider himself a bastard, especially if you kneel to King Tommen who legitimized him. He's also crazy and petty.

I read it as: "I'm legitimate and the prince of Winterfell. You, idiot, are just a bastard. Neener neener neener."

It takes me back to the difference between Jon and Ramsay, and Jon's conversation with Tyrion in GOT. Ramsay's whole chip on his shoulder has always been his bastard birth. He's incredibly sensitive about it. Jon was sensitive about it at first (at Winterfell and then at Castle Black and getting mad about being called Lord Snow), but Tyrion tells him that if he takes on the name Snow and the title bastard as his own then it can't be used to hurt him. Problem solved.

Poor Ramsay just never had a clever half-man running around.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

menino posted:

I'm pretty sure the Targaryens trained their dragons to become gay. Yes, they were trained. You can train dragons to be gay, if you have the right blood horn.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Illinois Smith posted:

Gay dragons love the horn.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is exactly why I enjoyed the Renly/Loras relationship. It's never outright stated, but the subtle implications make it very clear, and apart from derision from the series' other dickhole characters, it's not a ~oh hey there's some homos here do you see them hint hint whisper whisper SCREAM IN YOUR FACE GAY WE ARE FLAMERS~ thing

at least, god, at least not even close to the amount of obvious, in-your-face lesbianism. And that would be fine if it never involved Myrish swamps... except it does. Ugh.

And yet there are no purely lesbian characters so far in the series. We have Renly and Loras, most likely Jon Connington, and theres a few others who are open to speculation, but they're all men. We've only seen Dany and cersei batting for the same team, and then only out of curiosity or because they just wanted some action and daario wasn't around

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just poking my head in to state that I don't think I am going to complete the book. Even the Tyron chapters are becoming suck.

The point has been reached where the bad thread is more enjoyable a read than the actual book.

Is it a spoiler if the person being spoiled doesn't really care?

Really, can someone just make a short list of what happens in the book (I stopped at the end of the chapter where Asha is battling against the northmen wearing tree branches) so I don't have to actually read the rest?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 23, 2011

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Wow, some fans DO just want bullet points.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Fog Tripper posted:

Really, can someone just make a short list of what happens in the book (I stopped at the end of the chapter where Asha is battling against the northmen wearing tree branches) so I don't have to actually read the rest?
The Night's Watch kills Jon, Dany rides off on Drogon then gets sick and shits herself on the Dothraki Sea, Arya wargs into a cat to complete the first stage of her training.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Vary's kills Kevan and Pycelle

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Some banker walks around, and a gay guy comes home to Westeros. Also Weyman Manderly made some pies for Ramsay Bolton's wedding and then later Theon left with his bride. Mance Ragnier watched the whole thing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Some banker walks around, and a gay guy comes home to Westeros. Also Weyman Manderly made some pies for Ramsay Bolton's wedding and then later Theon left with his bride. Mance Ragnier watched the whole thing.

Ze pies vere made out of peeeeople...ha-ha just keeding. No really, they vere.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Oh and fake Arya Stark fucks a dog, don't know if you got that far but it's a pretty significant plot point.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fog Tripper posted:

:words:
I suppose bitching about the books without reading them is the next logical step after bitching about the show without watching it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

I suppose bitching about the books without reading them is the next logical step after bitching about the show without watching it.

Dear TVIV parachute account, I watched the series. It sucked.
I've read about 1/3 of ADwD and have all but given up on it.

It is nice to have you as a follower. At least I have that.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Suck it up and finish the book so you can properly call it lovely along with us.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quantify! posted:

Suck it up and finish the book so you can properly call it lovely along with us.

I will. It is sitting next to the commode, and I suppose I have to read SOMETHING in there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fog Tripper posted:

I will. It is sitting next to the commode, and I suppose I have to read SOMETHING in there.

Out of curiosity, what are some fantasy series' that you do enjoy?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

regulargonzalez posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some fantasy series' that you do enjoy?

I enjoyed ASoIaF up till these last 2 "half-books". :colbert:
Was really looking forward to ADwD because of the time it's been since the last Tyrion and Jon content.

You really cannot compare this series to other "fantasy" series. In a nostalgic way I enjoy Tolkien, Brooks, Pratchet, and Piers Anthony. But I've grown more selective as I've aged. Really, the first 3 books were written such that I didn't want to put them down. It wained in AFFC and now it feels like a struggle with ADwD.

Edit: I even re-re-re-read the series leading up to the ADWD release, and the pacing is like night and day.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Theon: jumps onto some snow
Asha: sits in a cage, gets called a oval office
Jon Snow: copies Jeor, and get stabbed to death by the nights watch
Danny: gets the squirts
Bran: becomes a temporal botanist
Tyrion: finnally after all this wait, finally after two books, finnally... gets on that pig like Joffrey wanted.
Arya: poisons a coin
Breinne: is alive, for no adequatley explored reason.
Jammie: is mentioned.
Cersi: streaks the sept of baelor
Quentin Martell: goes to a Dornish BBQ
Baby Aegon: rides a boat
John Connington: gets Gayscale
Ramsay Bolton: writes a letter
Roose Bolton: doesn't

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hellbastard posted:

Roose Bolton: doesn't
He also make a fat Frey bitch squeal like a pig. Or is it a sow?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Hemp Knight posted:

And yet there are no purely lesbian characters so far in the series. We have Renly and Loras, most likely Jon Connington, and theres a few others who are open to speculation, but they're all men. We've only seen Dany and cersei batting for the same team, and then only out of curiosity or because they just wanted some action and daario wasn't around

Pure lesbianism doen't really affect the power structure of the world. it can be safely assumed that a large number of the women in this world don't want to sleep with the men they are married to, yet the norms dictate that they do. given the disparity in power and usually age, a woman who doesn't want to couple with a man usually doesnt' have much of a choice, especially if she is married to that man but especially if she doesn't have a bunch of sworn swords around her, no matter who she is married to. "Boys will be boys" leads to a lot of awful male rapine.

an uninterested man is not quite the same.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Daario moves into a tie with Darkstar as greatest character; Barristan reminisces and does a thing; Victarion tosses some gays overboard, burns women alive, bros out with a red priest and gets a zombie arm

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

menino posted:

oh thanks for clearing that up.

there's no agenda? but there is a post where you basically equate not catching JCon being gay (based on one flashback BTW) to being a complete fuckwit who has no business reading the series or discussing it. methink you dost protest too much, or at least focus on one very particular detail, to the exclusion of hundreds of others, to make your argument.

I'm so glad that someone else calls him J-Con.

Toplowtech posted:

Some guy asked GRRM if "a certain POV character" (probably Connington) was gay at a Q&A after the Union Square's signing.
GRRM's answer: "I can't answer that [note: due to it having been 'no spoilers' at the Q&A], but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then you're correct."

I"m pretty sure that Victarion is the gay POV, he does hang out with Moqorro a lot. Then again, Jon Snow does have a male prostitute as his personal assistant...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

I enjoyed ASoIaF up till these last 2 "half-books". :colbert:
Was really looking forward to ADwD because of the time it's been since the last Tyrion and Jon content.

You really cannot compare this series to other "fantasy" series. In a nostalgic way I enjoy Tolkien, Brooks, Pratchet, and Piers Anthony. But I've grown more selective as I've aged. Really, the first 3 books were written such that I didn't want to put them down. It wained in AFFC and now it feels like a struggle with ADwD.

Edit: I even re-re-re-read the series leading up to the ADWD release, and the pacing is like night and day.

I disagree. I find Martin's prose way, way more intriguing than any of those authors you listed. Tolkien, for example, just straight up puts me to sleep. AFFC and ADWD were fantastic books.

And honestly, you asking for bullet points about ADWD's plot is just lame. Straight up. No question.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 24, 2011

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I disagree. I find Martin's prose way, way more intriguing than any of those authors you listed. Tolkien, for example, just straight up puts me to sleep. AFFC and ADWD were fantastic books.

And honestly, you asking for bullet points about ADWD's plot just lame. Straight up. No question.

I think he meant strictly the pacing of first three books vs. last two books.

Also, why does Xaro get no love in this gay character-outing fest we boys are having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Woah like, don't jump down his throat. He didn't like the book. That's just like, his opinion, man.

Seriously a lot of people didn't like / were disappointed with it. Nothing wrong with just getting sick of it and stopping. It's not exactly a brisk read at...however many pages is it anyway? Kindle sizes the text to your screen size.