Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I'm going through some health issues right now, but as soon as I'm healthy again (and I get the recording software figured out), I'll get started on making those tutorials. So far what I'm hearing is that people are looking for videos that help to illustrate the general methodology and abstract theory behind sound design, as opposed to videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rah5XPa0ukM
Notice how he's not explaining the reason he's making any of the choices he's making. That's not really useful for teaching sound design. I plan on doing the opposite, and focusing on explaining how a sound designer thinks.

A common thing I see when I teach people sound design in my studio is that they know what oscillators, filters, modulation, and other aspects of synthesis are, but don't know how to go beyond that and actually make cool sounds. I would like to make videos that explain how to do so, because I feel like I have something to say about the topic.

I'm going to write a script and develop a "lesson plan". I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I hate those tutorials too. Having someone essentially create a preset in front of you is useless.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Vector 7 posted:

I'm going through some health issues right now, but as soon as I'm healthy again (and I get the recording software figured out), I'll get started on making those tutorials. So far what I'm hearing is that people are looking for videos that help to illustrate the general methodology and abstract theory behind sound design, as opposed to videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rah5XPa0ukM
Notice how he's not explaining the reason he's making any of the choices he's making. That's not really useful for teaching sound design. I plan on doing the opposite, and focusing on explaining how a sound designer thinks.

A common thing I see when I teach people sound design in my studio is that they know what oscillators, filters, modulation, and other aspects of synthesis are, but don't know how to go beyond that and actually make cool sounds. I would like to make videos that explain how to do so, because I feel like I have something to say about the topic.

I'm going to write a script and develop a "lesson plan". I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.

This sounds great, I'm looking forward to see what you can accomplish.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I just got into making electronic music a month and a half ago, and this is the first thing I've made that I feel like somebody could rap/sing over:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kfxe

What do you guys think? Does it have enough variation? Are the instrument parts interesting, while still leaving melodic room for a vocalist over top? Is it mixed ok? The last point is the one I am most ignorant about.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I'm trying to do something with Logic and I'm not sure if it's possible. You know the standard DJ setup of 2 turntables and a mixer? I want to replicate that virtually using Logic and/or Mainstage. I want to be able to have one audio file loaded into each "turntable", be able to control the tempo of each, and be able to mix between them. If there's a way to grab these straight from iTunes that's great, but it's fine if the audio files have to be loaded into the Logic bin.

I have a few devices I can use as midi controllers, but for this scenario just assume I'm not using any at all. This is purely just for fun, so I'm not worried about using the correct equipment and all that.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty new at this. I realize that the solution might not be a literal virtual turntable, and that it may be more abstract than that. Thanks!

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Your solution is called ableton live.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Or Traktor, if you're playing other people's stuff and not being super fancy about it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
new music (wip): https://www.kingrook.com/wayfinder_-_end_of_days.mp3

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
Thanks, I'll check those out. Traktor looks promising.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Just picked up an M-Audio Oxygen 49 on the cheap yesterday (thanks Craigslist), and it's a good step up from the nanoKONTROLs that I was using previously.

(Ableton Live) I'm well able to map the knobs and sliders as I'd like, but originally I was thinking it'd auto-map like the Axioms are supposed to when you select different instruments/effects. Any idea if there's a hack out there that'll set it up to be a more proper control surface, or if I'm stuck with the default DirectLink setup if I want it auto-mapped? The default isn't awful (sliders map to the volume control of each of the first 8 tracks, knobs = pan control), but not terribly useful for what I'm doing with it.

Or should I throw this into the Ableton Live thread?

eta: google didn't give me much, but maybe I wasn't searching with the right words?

Amperor fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 23, 2011

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are you talking about MIDI Mapping mode? Just click the MIDI button at the top right and then start pressing buttons and turning knobs and stuff. It really couldn't be any easier.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I don't want to be a dick, but, dude, read the manual. Seriously.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Tried making a dubstep track tonight.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/in-it

It's definitely too muddy in some spots but overall I'm probably the most happy with this out of what I've done so far. Got my soundcard today and my APC 20 is coming in tomorrow.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Vector 7 posted:

I don't want to be a dick, but, dude, read the manual. Seriously.

I know how to map things manually (ctrl-M, etc), but one of the main selling points that M-Audio is using for these guys is an auto-mapping mode they call Direct Link. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to use the Direct Link like the Axiom controllers on my Oxygen controller, which has a different mapping but similar physical controls. Like a hacked driver or something.

Sorry if I'm being unclear.

eta: the explanation from the poster below makes sense, and it's probably right. The Axioms seem to have more complicated electronics inside that allow for the dynamic auto-mapping. (thank you)

Amperor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 23, 2011

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My understanding is that the Axiom has a lot more bits (tech term) in it that allow for such a complex feature. That being said, make sure that your Ableton is up to date. My Axiom didn't work till I hit 8.2.2.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Look up "Ableton User MIDI Remote Script" and I think you will find the answers you want

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Ben and Stew posted:

Look up "Ableton User MIDI Remote Script" and I think you will find the answers you want

Oooh, that is some crunchy stuff in there, and I think it is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So Guitar Center has the Alesis Q25 midi controller on sale for $50 - worth it?

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Do you guys think maybe it's time for a new thread, or a sticky or something? I swear (and no offense to the dudes asking this, 'cause this is for sure the right thread for it) that every page has at least one or two people asking about entry level MIDI controllers and interfaces and stuff. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to cover that in one post so we could keep this thread to actual discussion of production and theory and not just the Midi Controller Recommendation Showdown or something.

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I would get her SO pregnant :catholic: :ohdear:
WARNING: It's pretty :barf:

http://soundcloud.com/the_separator/something-house

I've been playing the piano, flute and guitar for a long time, but I really want to give a try at electronic music.

I've been tinkering around with Cubase and Traktor for three days. This is my first attempt at actually making a composition. It's my attempt at making something sound like generic house music. It's not an attempt to create something nice sounding, because I can't do that yet - it's an attempt to develop my technical skills in music production.

So why am I posting this poo poo again? I want some of the guru's here to give me some advice about what I should focus on and what exactly is wrong with this little slice of heaven. Also, if you're wondering, yeah, the chords that go through almost all of the song is I think a Dmi7 chord put through a synth that does some arpeggi poo poo, and sometimes it changes to Ami7 and Gmi7 (I-V-IV).

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

That Wicked Walrus posted:

Do you guys think maybe it's time for a new thread, or a sticky or something? I swear (and no offense to the dudes asking this, 'cause this is for sure the right thread for it) that every page has at least one or two people asking about entry level MIDI controllers and interfaces and stuff. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to cover that in one post so we could keep this thread to actual discussion of production and theory and not just the Midi Controller Recommendation Showdown or something.

Yeah. I mean, I keep reading this thread and reading the same questions. You'd prob do a good job of it.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

We need a whole sub forum. Topics like compression, distortion, and sound design all need their own threads. It could be called the producer's corner, or something.

Seriously.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I'd be happy to write a new OP, but I'm going to be gone for a couple weeks (Burning Man :haw:) and won't be able to do it until I return/recover. I think it'd be worth discussing, preferably with a moderator, what we're looking for here... I think we could cover the "what should I buy to start making electronic music" in the first post pretty comprehensively, or maybe in another thread stickied? Not to completely discourage people from discussing that but it would be great to have a thread for the actual musicmaking that didn't become a "recommend me x or y" every page.

I'm kind of into Vector 7's idea but I think a subforum of a subforum would probably have a lack of things to discuss... maybe start a very specific "production techniques for electronic music" thread to cover that stuff with a clear disclaimer that it's not the thread for MIDI controller recommendations?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

It could be a subforum adjacent to ML. There's a whole forum for anime, and another one for comic books. We can't have a subforum for producers? It's not like it would cost money. If it didn't work out, it could be shut down. No big deal. If it did work out, it would be a valuable resource. I think it's worth a shot.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 25, 2011

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Vector 7 posted:

It could be a subforum adjacent to ML. There's a whole forum for anime, and another one for comic books. We can't have a subforum for producers? It's not like it would cost money. If it didn't work out, it could be shut down. No big deal. If it did work out, it would be a valuable resource. I think it's worth a shot.

I think it's a decent idea. I mean, there are entire busy forums just for producers, and SA tends to do what other forums do only better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that there are _a lot_ of people who talk want to talk about anime, while even these few threads we have about electronic music and production move very slowly. The threads get a handful new posts each week, which is hardly subforum-worthy (in my opinion, that is. I just wish more people would post here :()

e: I do wish for a thread about controllers though, I mean, I made my own thread asking about it just a while ago (still on the front page I reckon).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I'm trying to work on a remix for Calvin Harris' Feel So Close. Rough Sample here:

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/feel-so-close-calvin-harris

But I'm not really sure where I'm going with it. I feel like I've got some cool elements but I've sort of lost direction and I don't really know how to build off what I have. Anyone else struggle with situations like this have any advice?

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!
I've recently made the switch from Reason to Ableton Live, and I love it. Here's a song I finished yesterday with it.

http://soundcloud.com/shreddie-mercury/right-said-shred

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Beef Log Boy posted:

I've recently made the switch from Reason to Ableton Live, and I love it. Here's a song I finished yesterday with it.

http://soundcloud.com/shreddie-mercury/right-said-shred

This is dope. Sounds very Justice-y. What VSTs are you using? Thought I heard some Razor.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

This is dope. Sounds very Justice-y. What VSTs are you using? Thought I heard some Razor.

Thanks! It's kind of half Operator and half Sylenth1 actually. I used to hate Operator until I decided to sit down and learn about everything rather than use my original "turn this knob-that's a cool noise!" method.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Just made this original thing, but I'm not really feeling it, so I dubbed it a studio failure. Went ahead and released it anyway, though, because it's not that bad. It's electro house.

http://soundcloud.com/eilios/the-spectacle

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I came home from work at 3AM and felt inspired, so I've been up all night. I ended up with Another Goony Thing.

http://soundcloud.com/zscenturion/for-close-encounters

Not a clue what to call it - it's breakbeat-ish, 110BPM, and aggressive. Please don't tell me it's Moombahton. I have a feeling I haven't exactly tamed the low end properly, what do you think?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 26, 2011

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Beef Log Boy posted:

Thanks! It's kind of half Operator and half Sylenth1 actually. I used to hate Operator until I decided to sit down and learn about everything rather than use my original "turn this knob-that's a cool noise!" method.
Operator's one of those weird synths that people seem to neglect but once you know what you're doing you find it's really quite powerful, especially with the right effects.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Plavski posted:

Operator's one of those weird synths that people seem to neglect but once you know what you're doing you find it's really quite powerful, especially with the right effects.

Agreed. Though I do love me some Sylenth1 as well. Also for some reason whenever I try to pitch bend a midi clip in Operator, the pitch never returns to normal, even after I delete the automation of the bend. It's probably not the most efficient method, but I'd just duplicate the synth and use an entire track for one pitch bend note to get around that problem.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Beef Log Boy posted:

Agreed. Though I do love me some Sylenth1 as well. Also for some reason whenever I try to pitch bend a midi clip in Operator, the pitch never returns to normal, even after I delete the automation of the bend. It's probably not the most efficient method, but I'd just duplicate the synth and use an entire track for one pitch bend note to get around that problem.
Weird, it works fine for me. You sure it's resetting to the middle line? Has the pitch-bend range become somehow automated too? Sometimes if I'm changing a setting and forget about it while playing it can get automated when I'm in overwrite mode.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie

Beef Log Boy posted:

Your track is amazing. Curious how you went about learning operator. I've tried several times and every time I've been bogged down by knobs. OH GOD THE KNOBS.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone had the chance to play around with Razor? It looks kinda cool.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Horrido posted:

Anyone had the chance to play around with Razor? It looks kinda cool.

I have it but I don't think I've fully tapped into it yet, lots and lots of possibilities with this thing.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

colonp posted:

What effects do you like?

My startup set is 3 operators and a Reverb sitting on send A. I use "mixing effects" (EQ, compressors, gates) quite a bit, but looking through my sketches, aside from those and delays, it's mostly "clean" Operator.
loving up an operator tone with a bitcrusher can get really nice. Because in operator it's simple to knock out some rich sub-basses I like the ping-pong delay to add some subtle rhythm to my backing undercurrent. I like the richness that throwing multiple slightly-detuned operators can give too. You can generate some lovely phasing that way and really widen the sound.

• Locked thread