Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I've been picking up things pretty quickly but I'm still having trouble warping vocal samples to get the bpms to match up. Has anyone found any good tutorials out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
8.2.5 is out, which fixes the Lion issues, which I'm sure you already know.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The thing I hate about Tom Cosm tutorials is he makes me realise how much I've neglected Operator.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I should really finish his music production series. As much as I hate the final product, I learned so much from those first 3 or 4 videos.

edit: for laughs here is where I ended up - http://audiojungle.net/item/plate-bounce/70437

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 23, 2011

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there a way I can optimize my settings to reduce CPU usage? I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 in my Macbook but I'm hitting ridiculous numbers like 150%+ with relatively little activity going on.

e: I should mention I'm already freezing all the tracks that aren't sidechained.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

Is there a way I can optimize my settings to reduce CPU usage? I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 in my Macbook but I'm hitting ridiculous numbers like 150%+ with relatively little activity going on.

e: I should mention I'm already freezing all the tracks that aren't sidechained.
Read this: How can I save CPU power?

Consider this: (From the manual.)

quote:

One source of constant CPU drain is the process of moving data to and from the audio hardware. This drain can be minimized by disabling any inputs and outputs that are not required in a project. There are two buttons in the Audio Preferences to access the Input and Output Conguration dialogs, which allow activating or deactivating individual ins and outs.

Live does not automatically disable unused channels, because the audio hardware drivers usually produce an audible hiccup when there is a request for an audio conguration change.

Watch this: Here's a video to watch that should help you!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Vector 7 posted:

Read this: How can I save CPU power?

Consider this: (From the manual.)

Watch this: Here's a video to watch that should help you!

Thanks for this, I've read the manual and looked at a few tips online. I restarted Live and it seems nearly fine now, it was almost like it wasn't registering my frozen tracks until Live was restarted.

I've also read that turning off Airport on a mac can help with CPU usage. Anyone know why this is? I could probably run a wire to my desk if it would make a difference.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

anyone here using Session Drums for much? They seem to all be very, very quiet and I can't seem to work out a compresison scheme to bring them up. Anyone have any advice?

Warrior Bob
Dec 16, 2004
butt

Thoogsby posted:

I've also read that turning off Airport on a mac can help with CPU usage. Anyone know why this is? I could probably run a wire to my desk if it would make a difference.

I don't know about saving much CPU usage, but when I'm in an area where I don't have much signal, I've found that the Airport searching for new networks will occasionally stall Live up just long enough to cause a glitch or dropout when I'm running at lower latencies. Turning off the Airport seems to make the problem go away immediately.

I never seem to have this issue at home though, where the signal is nice and powerful.

It could be something else entirely of course, but this is what it seemed like to me.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie

NonzeroCircle posted:

Sounds like he's after a kinda latch effect- hit a key once, it keeps playing the arpeggio until the next one is hit and it changes it's pitch, so the MIDI note length tool is ideal. Or just set your sustain and release sliders on the volume envelope of whatever device to full, does the same job.

I'm using the Midi Length tool like you suggested with Length set to 60s but I'm finding the previous note still keeps ringing. There a way to put a lid on the previous note?

I'm specifically trying to trigger midi samples in a live performance setting and I don't want the previous clip to play all the way through before the second clip starts. Basically need to press key once -> trigger clip 1 -> press second key -> shut clip 1 start clip 2.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Isn't that precisely what Beat Mode warping is?
Yeah, same concept. However warping in Beat mode does a quantized warp thing at a defined rate which can create a warbly effect if it's used on stuff that is more textural or instrumental. I just remove parts/scootch stuff around based on if it sounds good or not. Primarily vocals. Complex Pro works good for anything else.

Rakshas posted:

I'm using the Midi Length tool like you suggested with Length set to 60s but I'm finding the previous note still keeps ringing. There a way to put a lid on the previous note?

I'm specifically trying to trigger midi samples in a live performance setting and I don't want the previous clip to play all the way through before the second clip starts. Basically need to press key once -> trigger clip 1 -> press second key -> shut clip 1 start clip 2.
Ah. so you're using clips? Try messing around with your clip launch modes. You have Trigger, Gate, Toggle, Repeat. Then the Legato button and the Quantization under that. In this case, I think all you gotta do is change the quantization. If you want the clip to play as soon as you press the button, set it to "None." If you need it on the beat for example, set it to "1/4." You could set up a monophonic sampler with enough clips in the channel if you wanted. :D

Also, here's how the clip launch options work:
Trigger: Clip plays normally
Gate: You gotta hold the clip's play button down
Toggle: Press once to play, press again to stop.
Repeat: Same as Trigger, except if you hold the play button down it repeats based on the clips quantization
Legato: The clip's playhead keeps going instead of going back to the beginning

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003

Rakshas posted:

I'm new to live and I'm trying to figure out how to keep a midi note alive. Firstly, I need a note to keep ringing after I press and release a key on my keyboard. It's an arpeggiated and chorded thingy, so I'd like to it go on till I press another key. At this point, the first note should stop and the second should start playing.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. Under midi effects there's a note length utility but that doesn't seem like it works.

I figured this out and thought I'd share how for good measure. Choke Groups! I had to move all my midi samples into a drum rack and set them to be in the same choke group. This way when one sample triggers it chokes out the previous. So far works great. Thanks ya'll.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've got NI Razor loaded as an AU Instrument but for some reason whenever I close out of the synth to actually write a midi clip the bass drops off whatever sound I created completely. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is there way to invert a midi control? I want to invert the midi control binding so it turns the pitch UP when I turn my controller knob DOWN.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Popcorn posted:

Is there way to invert a midi control? I want to invert the midi control binding so it turns the pitch UP when I turn my controller knob DOWN.
When you go into MIDI mapping mode, there's a list of the mapped parameters that appears. Simply set the "min" value (the "min" refers to the MIDI CC value, not the value of the parameter it's controlling) higher than the "max" value. This makes it so that the higher CC corresponds to a lower parameter value, inverting the mapping.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Vector 7 posted:

When you go into MIDI mapping mode, there's a list of the mapped parameters that appears. Simply set the "min" value (the "min" refers to the MIDI CC value, not the value of the parameter it's controlling) higher than the "max" value. This makes it so that the higher CC corresponds to a lower parameter value, inverting the mapping.

Superb! Thanks a lot, that's done exactly what I wanted it to.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

deathmerc posted:

For some reason in Live 8.2.2 if I use any of the built in synth strings sounds they don't play after I close ableton and open it again. If I add the sound, it works fine for the whole session, but next time I load it... No sound just from that instrument, everything else is fine. If I then manually add the instrument, it's fine again. Any ideas?

I logged a ticket with ableton support and this is the reason/fix:

The issue your describing is a problem of Tension's physical model developed by Applied Acoustic Systems. It appears at certain "Velocity" settings. Unfortunately this problem can't be solved on our side.

Anyway, there's a work-around to get at least the sound back by un-mapping the macro control "Intensity":

- in the affected instrument rack click the "Show/Hide Devices" button to unfold Tension
- click "Map Mode"
- select "Velocity" on Tension's device GUI
- click the unmap button underneath the macro control "Intensity"

The problem seems to be not the mapping itself but the modulation of Velocity. We're in contact with AAS to find a solution.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Popcorn posted:

Superb! Thanks a lot, that's done exactly what I wanted it to.
Happy to be of service.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

deathmerc posted:

I logged a ticket with ableton support and this is the reason/fix:

The issue your describing is a problem of Tension's physical model developed by Applied Acoustic Systems. It appears at certain "Velocity" settings. Unfortunately this problem can't be solved on our side.

Anyway, there's a work-around to get at least the sound back by un-mapping the macro control "Intensity":

- in the affected instrument rack click the "Show/Hide Devices" button to unfold Tension
- click "Map Mode"
- select "Velocity" on Tension's device GUI
- click the unmap button underneath the macro control "Intensity"

The problem seems to be not the mapping itself but the modulation of Velocity. We're in contact with AAS to find a solution.
Thank you for not just going "Ableton helped, I'm good" or not saying anything.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR
I know you're supposed to cut rather than boost when you EQ but would boosting and then lowering the master gain of the EQ to bring the peak down to baseline be the same quality-wise as cutting?

It would be a lot easier to just do this rather than use all those lovely curve-types to cut around the parts you want. Maybe I'm just not using the shapes right?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Just boost. Don't give a poo poo about the "cutting only" crowd. It's a good rule of thumb as long as you have no idea what you're doing, but it's not a law.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

It's pretty late, so I'm just going to say this for now and tomorrow I'll write more about it.

EQ is an art and a science. There are no real laws or rules, but there are best practices. Typically, one of the better ways to go about cleaning up your mix is to make room for the parts you want to shine through by cutting.

You might ask, "Cutting what, exactly?"

Well, not what you might think.

quote:

It would be a lot easier to just do this rather than use all those lovely curve-types to cut around the parts you want.

Not like this.

Cut stuff from the other tracks in your song. The specific regions. Find the frequencies of the part that you want to come through, and cut them from other tracks. This opens up that space for the good stuff.

The most important piece of advice I can give is to use your ears. That might sound like bullshit, I sure thought it was when I first started, but it's not. It's the truth. Your ears are your most valuable tool. Start to cultivate an ability to pick up on the more nuanced aspects of sound. If you party, wear earplugs.

If you don't have a teacher or mentor who can work with you, I suggest you get some books. There are some really good ones out there. They supplement trial and error. They don't replace it. Experience is the best teacher.

Right click on the EQ Eight header. There's a high quality mode that you should check out for really important mixing situations, like on your busses.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

pelswick posted:

I know you're supposed to cut rather than boost when you EQ but would boosting and then lowering the master gain of the EQ to bring the peak down to baseline be the same quality-wise as cutting?

Yes, functionally you're doing exactly what you describe - that's why EQs/compressors tend to have adjustable 'output gain' or 'makeup gain'. You want to A/B at as close to 'unity' gain as possible so you're actually hearing the difference, not just one option louder (and therefore more pleasing). Does that make any sense? I find myself all the time thinking about 'the rules', but these days I realize it was my compliance with 'the rules' like 'cut only' or 'never compress X like Y' that got me into a "you suck at this" rut.

Wayfinder is much more concise about it; sorry. Don't throw strict gain structure out the window, but don't focus on it either. Do what sounds good.

EDIT: Wow, Vector 7 kills it again. Good post, and faster. Complementary EQ (cutting backing instruments at frequencies the lead shines in, for example) is definitely key. Ultimately, we're all getting at the same thing: Use your guddamn ears.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 30, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a way to have Live ignore incoming velocity data from a MIDI controller and just record the note that was played at a constant velocity?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this, plus a launchpad, can turn out some fun stuff.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

Is there a way to have Live ignore incoming velocity data from a MIDI controller and just record the note that was played at a constant velocity?

Yes, just use the "velocity" tool under "MIDI effects". There's a preset called "Fix 127" that sets all MIDI notes to maximum velocity, but obviously you can adjust this if you want.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

dolphins are gay posted:

looks interesting, wanna share the file? be nice to blow the dust off the ol launchpad

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

dolphins are gay posted:

Don't most Ableton controllers have a chromatic note mode? Do you really need to make clips for each note?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Don't most Ableton controllers have a chromatic note mode? Do you really need to make clips for each note?

Those are chords.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Computer Jones posted:

Those are chords.

It's early. Ignore my stupidity.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003

dolphins are gay posted:

Not sure if it's the same but I've been using this a lot to come up with nice sounding chord progressions using the circle of fifths. It's essentially a midi library of chords in each key.

http://subaqueousmusic.com/production-articles/free-music-tools

Just sign up using garbage info. It's legit.

Rakshas fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 31, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

While we're posting little launchpad tricks, I'll put up this:

http://hosting.dataintensive.org/audio/running lights.als

Play the 'chase' cell, set the launchpad to user1, and the lights will chase each other up the device.

Jirolico
Jan 27, 2005

My ambition is handicapped by my laziness
I couldn't find the answer online, so here goes.

I'm programming some hi-hats for a song and I'm just messing around in session view. If I play the hi-hat on my MIDI pad, I hear the sound when I play it back. However, if I copy an earlier hi-hat hit and paste it to another grid, the play back doesn't play the audio for it. I can see the hi-hat hit, nothing is playing though. What's going on? The hits in question are the last two in the screenshot.

Keep in mind I'm a complete newbie. This is my first week of using a DAW.

http://i.imgur.com/FX1Om.png

Jirolico fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 1, 2011

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Jirolico posted:

I'm programming some hi-hats for a song and I'm just messing around in session view. If I play the hi-hat on my MIDI pad, I hear the sound when I play it back. However, if I copy an earlier hi-hat hit and paste it to another grid, the play back doesn't play the audio for it. I can see the hi-hat hit, nothing is playing though. What's going on? The hits in question are the last two in the screenshot.

not really sure what you're asking, but you can make a single midi track and stick a drum rack on that so then you wouldn't have to use a new track for each individual drum sound. it'll make your life a lot easier.

Jirolico
Jan 27, 2005

My ambition is handicapped by my laziness

dookie posted:

not really sure what you're asking, but you can make a single midi track and stick a drum rack on that so then you wouldn't have to use a new track for each individual drum sound. it'll make your life a lot easier.

Agreed, 100%. My next goal is to find samples online and make my own drum rack using simpler. Oddly enough, I've noticed my midi pad doesn't react quick enough to hit some of the quick snare rolls or quick hi hat triplets. Similar experiences?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nindoze posted:

looks interesting, wanna share the file? be nice to blow the dust off the ol launchpad

done:

http://mdubbs.com/chordfinder.als

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Jirolico posted:

Try hitting the red session view button at the top.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 8, 2014

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The monitor might be set to 'In' instead of 'Off' or 'Auto.' You'll have to turn on In/Out in the View menu to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a small question.

I have a copy of massive in an instrument rack with the 8 preset variables in Massive macro'd to the eight knobs in the instrument rack. So far so peachy. But if I change preset, the macro names in the instrument rack are no longer related to the new macro'd variable names from Massive. Is there a way to have Ableton automatically update the macro names in the instrument rack to reflect the new variables?