Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

landcollector posted:

Wow, look at those numbers! The pilot probably can't even walk straight, but drat can he shoot...

Kick this one.

Friendly neighborhood nutjob posted:

“As ComTap,” Inari replied. “ComLang. CalTars: SkirEn only. PrepRet if SitWar.”

Also, any translations?

I think it's: Assume they're tapping our coms, use our special language. Call out your targets, ??? (?Skirmish engage?) only (only the ???) Prepare a retaliation if the situation is war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

the JJ posted:

Kick this one.

I beg your pardon?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

landcollector posted:

I beg your pardon?
I think it's some sort of secret inner sphere weapon.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
As Clanners, are we supposed to stick to Zellbrigen? Once our side has determined the enemies' numbers, should we each challenge a single 'Mech and only attack it according to the rules stated herein?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A good poster posted:

As Clanners, are we supposed to stick to Zellbrigen?

No. I'm not holding players to any rules of engagement.

Besides, Vost Lance is retarded extremely agressive. They're going to blow Zell immediately.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jackrabbit IIC
Armament: Mechwarrior Elias
ER Large Laser – RA (Heat: 12, Range: (L:25 M:15 S:8), Status: OK!)
Streak SRM-4 – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:12 M:8 S:4), Status: OK!)

Interesting, it cannot overheat without engine damage and the Streak won't fire unless it gets a lock. Oh, and it probably outranges anything the IC has by what, 5+ spaces? (edit: 7+)

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 24, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mystery box detected: a strange magnetic anomaly. A lance-equivalent of Demolishers would not surprise me.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

the JJ posted:

Also, any translations?

I think it's: Assume they're tapping our coms, use our special language. Call out your targets, ??? (?Skirmish engage?) only (only the ???) Prepare a retaliation if the situation is war.

Prepare to Retreat if the Situation Warrants it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone with a Streak SRM should fire it always.

Especially if it can't hit.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I await your answer the JJ. What did I say that warrants you saying "kick this one"?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

landcollector posted:

I beg your pardon?

I know, I'm dezgra scum. On the other hand, you're all Freebirth Sea Fox. Not much lower to go.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No. I'm not holding players to any rules of engagement.

Besides, Vost Lance is retarded extremely agressive. They're going to blow Zell immediately.

Also that and that. Also, the melee prohibition isn't technically against zell. I'm sure there are ways to swing it such that it becomes a sign of contempt, especially if the Mech in question promptly keels over. In such a situation, with a culture that places so high an emphasis on Mech skill the revelation of such incompetence would create a black hole of scorn so intense everyone nearby would come out smelling like roses in comparison.

e:

landcollector posted:

I await your answer the JJ. What did I say that warrants you saying "kick this one"?

Ah, I see.

I was referring to the idiot savant gunner. Getting kicked forces a piloting check.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 24, 2011

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

landcollector posted:

I think he meant the enemy mech, not you.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

I think he meant the enemy mech, not you.

If that's true, then I feel somewhat embarrassed...sorry for flying off the handle the JJ.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

If that's true, then I feel somewhat embarrassed...sorry for flying off the handle the JJ.

I like how the people replying to you thought you were role playing a clanner.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Holy moly, I'm a Clanner, and a Diamond Shark Ferengi Sea Fox to boot!

Otter Star, set all weapons to "troll"!

(also PTN, I've got PMs now)

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
PTN, for future reference, are you going to be refusing to allow a weapon to be fired if the TN exceeds twelve or there's no LOS or something, and explaining why it didn't fire?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

At last, revenge! Kill them all! Leave none standing! In the name of the Clans and of decent writing!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PTN, for future reference, are you going to be refusing to allow a weapon to be fired if the TN exceeds twelve or there's no LOS or something, and explaining why it didn't fire?

No, I'm not. Most 'Mechs have more than enough ammo that it's not an issue. In a normal game, if you decide to fire something and can't hit, you still have to eat the heat and/or loss of ammo. I will still be warning people who let me know they've never played Battletech before, at least until they get the hang of mathing out their chances to hit.

VVV It's also the toughest 'Mech on the field. Not a huge deal for Clan weapons, but you're probably not going to put it down in a single turn of focused fire the way you would a Locust or the Javelin.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey the Sea Fox! That's nifty. Now kill those snakes! In particular, you want to get rid of the Phoenix Hawk to get the jammer off the board, especially since it has the biggest gun on the Kurita side.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 24, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, I'm not. Most 'Mechs have more than enough ammo that it's not an issue. In a normal game, if you decide to fire something and can't hit, you still have to eat the heat and/or loss of ammo. I will still be warning people who let me know they've never played Battletech before, at least until they get the hang of mathing out their chances to hit.

What about those of us who've played plenty of MegaMek but are crap at figuring the math for ourselves because we've never had to do it, and only risked firing a bad shot because we were clicking too fast? Do we count in the first category, or in the "suck it up you big baby" category?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

What about those of us who've played plenty of MegaMek but are crap at figuring the math for ourselves because we've never had to do it, and only risked firing a bad shot because we were clicking too fast? Do we count in the first category, or in the "suck it up you big baby" category?

Most of the time, it's not a big deal. Just apend an "unless the shot would be impossible" to the end of your orders and I won't take the shot if it's impossible.

For example: "I will fire my ER Large Laser and Streak SRM-4 at the Panther, unless the shot would be impossible." Then, no matter the circumstances, if you can't hit the panther you won't fire at the panther. If you have no line of sight, I'll still let most people know what they do have line of sight to because I'm not a total jackass. Most of the time. >_>

Hell, half the advantage of Streak SRMs is that they don't waste ammo if they don't hit, so you can take stupid shots with them you couldn't with normal SRMs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wait... are you telling me their mission is to eliminate the characters from Far Country?

... This is quite possibly the best scenario to date.

Sorry, Knox, but in this instance, I feel it best to root for the noble Mechwarriors of Clan Sea Fox.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hell, half the advantage of Streak SRMs is that they don't waste ammo if they don't hit, so you can take stupid shots with them you couldn't with normal SRMs.
This is why you always always always fire them.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Vost? Seagroves? Pesht?

Guys guys guys, I'm pretty sure you're fighting the guys in Far Country. I do hope you will be giving them a proper drubbing.

Fortunately at 45tons, I don't think that's a Phoenix Hawk LAM, which is very good, because if it is, the 15/23 airmech move would allow it to play some very, very fun games.

Also, play careful. The DEST are likely to be hiding near the forest for ambush, and are almost certainly very very good. Getting swarmed by leg infantry isn't quite as scary as being swarmed by Elementals, but it's still very scary.

And of course, if they leg attack you and kill your mobility, you'll get shot to poo poo very quickly.

So send the Kit Fox in first, it has A-Pods.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

So send the Kit Fox in first, it has A-Pods.

... Because it always astounded me that the Clans would develop a tool specifically designed to protect 'Mechs from unarmored infantry swarm attacks yet refused to mount them on any of the 'Mechs that are actually vulnerable to unarmored infantry swarm attacks.

VVV Sorta. They developed a weapons system specifically for killing bandit-cast trash.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 24, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Kit Fox C in canon has them, but they are comparatively rare. What always amazes me is that the Clans developed a whole weapon system specifically for killing freebirths and Solahmas.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Arquinsiel posted:

The Kit Fox C in canon has them, but they are comparatively rare. What always amazes me is that the Clans developed a whole weapon system specifically for killing freebirths and Solahmas.

Wait, A Pods arn't a response to Elementals? I don't even know any more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nope, B-pods are.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A Pods don't really do much to Elementals.

Also, the Streak systems perform as normal SRMs if they're affected by an ECM field.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Taerkar posted:

A Pods don't really do much to Elementals.

Also, the Streak systems perform as normal SRMs if they're affected by an ECM field.

They don't. Streak missiles are unaffected by Guardian ECM, but if targeting an enemy through a bubble of Angel ECM, they roll on the table as standard missiles.

They still, however, will not fire without lock. So don't worry about that.

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Because it always astounded me that the Clans would develop a tool specifically designed to protect 'Mechs from unarmored infantry swarm attacks yet refused to mount them on any of the 'Mechs that are actually vulnerable to unarmored infantry swarm attacks.

I just kind of forgot they existed, seeing as a point of Elementals hitching a ride on your omni tends to be a very good method of getting rid of unarmored infantry. A-Pods are bad, B-Pods can be useful in the right circumstances, and M-Pods are fun in a box.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I am going to enjoy this one, and silently curse myself for not signing up quicker. Piranhas are fun.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mary Annette posted:

Holy moly, I'm a Clanner, and a Diamond Shark Ferengi Sea Fox to boot!

Otter Star, set all weapons to "troll"!

(also PTN, I've got PMs now)

PTN you glorious bastard. My favorite Clan based solely on the way they were first described to me; Huge loving trolls in giant mechs.

Piranha pilots! If one of you doesn't finish an enemy mech by shoving your fist into a broken piece of armor and letting loose with all those guns I will be disappointed. :black101:

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Trast posted:

Piranha pilots! If one of you doesn't finish an enemy mech by shoving your fist into a broken piece of armor and letting loose with all those guns I will be disappointed. :black101:

That's a Beef Mechfist move if I ever saw one. I think you've been nominated, Dolash.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, a Pilot 7/Gunnery 1 enemy? That's a strange combination. Am I right in assuming that the guy can't move well and will suck if he has to avoid falling or going unconscious or anything like that, but is an artist with his weapons? Maybe try knocking him out first or something. Taking out the unit with the ECM quickly would probably be helpful as well.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see hoe Goonstar performs. Clan Sea Fox, is it? Those guys are Merchants that like to troll everyone, right? Guess you guys can have fun with this. Those Piranhas look interesting as hell. They won't be hurting for the dakka, I presume. Not sure about how the other units you guys have will perform, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Trast posted:

PTN you glorious bastard. My favorite Clan based solely on the way they were first described to me; Huge loving trolls in giant mechs.

They're like the Dingo pictures of mech design.

Creating knockoff designs of more famous mechs for inner sphere clients who don't know any better.

Or at the very least, want to make the lord from the next planet over jealous because their shiny new mech is ~~*clantech*~~

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So how about we start a nice fores-fire here to smoke out (burn to death) the DEST ninjas?

Also be cool and stick to zell, at least the trueborn should until they declare themselves dezgra.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I guess in this scenario the Piranha pilots should remember to fire their MGs after their other guns because they are functionally critseekers?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Affi posted:

So how about we start a nice fores-fire here to smoke out (burn to death) the DEST ninjas?

Yeeeeeees.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

There is an issue, you are in light mechs, and the enemy are ninja whom you can't see till after they attack you once. This means you could get one shotted before you know what hits you as they cleave you open with 18-20 damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

These characters in the Combine mechs are, according to this novel I found, currently 10 years old or so, having undertaken some sort of combat jump in the year 3056 in the original timeline.

Sorry Poptarts, this LP is over for me. Sense of immersion ruined.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, game. Ummm, at this point I would recommend taking the mechs on without rushing them. Unless I'm forgetting something, infantry usually have short range, so avoid bum rushing the mechs and getting mobbed by 3 teams of Ninjas, plus the Boss Ninja.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 24, 2011

• Locked thread