Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Drugraid4am posted:

I skimmed here, but I had a question about the NuvaRing.

I went today to get a papsmear in order to take the first step to getting BC. I really want a copper IUD, but my health insurance doesn't cover it at all. I'm very worried about weight gain so my doctor recommended the NuvaRing to me. Anyone else have issues with being able to tone up or loose weight while using it? I stay in shape now, but I could be better.

Unfortunately the other reason I was in there was I had a Bacterial Vaginosis infection. I always get this or yeast when I use condoms. I recently started seeing someone and they are very much not ok with using pull out as a main BC method. If condoms irritate my vagina this much is the ring going to do the same thing? Am I better off with something else? I got a few days to decide. They won't prescribe me any form of BC until my tests come back clean and this thing clears up (way worst then yeast ugh).

Don't get the ring, they can give you yeast infections like crazy. I HATED the ring for that exact reason and I'm not even particularly prone to getting them normally. Have you tried non-latex condoms by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Triangulum posted:

Don't get the ring, they can give you yeast infections like crazy. I HATED the ring for that exact reason and I'm not even particularly prone to getting them normally. Have you tried non-latex condoms by any chance?

A lot of condoms are pre-lubricated too, so it could also be something like glycerin in the lube they use. I used to get yeast infections like crazy back when I used those kind of condoms.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

NaturalLow posted:

A lot of condoms are pre-lubricated too, so it could also be something like glycerin in the lube they use. I used to get yeast infections like crazy back when I used those kind of condoms.

Oh that's a really good point! Glycerin is terrible :gonk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lou reed posted:

I've had a Paragard a little over six months. My periods so far have been heavy and between 5-8 days, this one was considerably lighter and 3/4 days. I know it's common for periods to improve over time with the paragard, but it this normal? Truth be told the stronger cramps and the heavier bleeding were a little reassuring, since I felt that if it was giving me grief, it was working. I checked it and everything feels fine - should I be worried that there was such a dramatic improvement in a month's time?

Yah, its normal. My periods were an absolute gushing waterfall for the first 4 months or so and then 5th and 6th almost made me worry that I was pregnant and having fluke bleeding or something because I never fully filled up my cup once. Seems to be the norm now for me. I don't have to empty my cup like 8 times a day now and its GREAT.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
Thank you all for the reassurance! It turns out my period wasn't short, it just took two days off....

Drugraid4am
Jan 16, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Hm, if you have yeasty problems already from something as minimal as condoms, I wouldn't recommend Nuvaring, as it can be known to cause yeast infections even in people who aren't particular sensitive. As for weight gain and such, it varies by person with hormonal birth control as a whole.

Is there any way you could save up bit by bit for the remaining cost of the IUD?

Lanthanum, I'm glad your little spook is over, and hopefully you'll continue to have happy light periods. Things will probably even out over time and your periods will be more consistent. :)

Thanks! I think I might just use it temporarily and then get the IUD. I think it will be worth it in the long run.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I'm getting mega anxious about my mirena insertion tomorrow morning, dreaming of perforated uteruses (uteri?). I hope everything turns out okay :(

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Would switching from a brand name to a generic birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Tri-Nessa) cause any type of disruption? It's the same stuff, right?

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I've been on Nuvaring for two months now and I'm less than pleased with it. I realise you're supposed to give new BC three months or so before deciding to hate it, but here goes anyway.

I was on pills before (went through several brands with different hormone levels over the course of seven years) and had problems with the pills killing off my libido. I thought the ring would be better because of the lower hormone dose but it seems pretty much the same as with pills. I don't get wet anymore at all, which I guess is a common (?) side-effect and to some extent solvable with lube, but I'm noticing that I'm not "in the mood" so much since starting with the ring. It's odd and seriously frustrating because I don't want to go back to masturbating four times a year (like I did on pills) and just feeling dissatisfied with everything. The ring also makes me moody and I can go from being happy and feeling good to just wanting to cry in no time, which is poo poo as I'm not really an emotional person at all normally.

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for any other options, because I'm pretty much out of ideas. It seems that anything hormonal just doesn't agree with my body. Condoms are fine and all but it would be nice to not have to worry about them breaking etc. To put it stupidly, is there some sort of magical BC I can be on and still feel like myself?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

bobula posted:

I'm getting mega anxious about my mirena insertion tomorrow morning, dreaming of perforated uteruses (uteri?). I hope everything turns out okay :(

You will be just fine. Hunt yourself out a microwaveable heating pad and all will be well.

samizdat posted:

Would switching from a brand name to a generic birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Tri-Nessa) cause any type of disruption? It's the same stuff, right?

No, it's fine.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

oliven posted:

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for any other options, because I'm pretty much out of ideas. It seems that anything hormonal just doesn't agree with my body. Condoms are fine and all but it would be nice to not have to worry about them breaking etc. To put it stupidly, is there some sort of magical BC I can be on and still feel like myself?

I can't praise my IUD enough. I've had the Mirena IUD for about a year now, and it improved a lot of things for me. I'm much less moody or randomly irritable, and I found that my sex drive increased- could have been going from the high to low hormone dose or the fact that it was BC that I didn't need to think about on a constant basis, or both. My body is much happier in general with the low hormone dose, as well - my blood pressure decreased and I stopped having horrible cramping/migraines. Plus, it's nice to rarely ever bleed, and when it does happen, it's never enough to have to use tampons.

I would definitely suggest looking into it and talking to your doctor if you've been dissatisfied with other methods of BC. If any and all hormones are an issue, the copper IUD doesn't have any, but it does have its various side effects that I'm not very well acquainted with.

Edit: I should mention that a lot of other women have had very happy experiences with their IUDs, and it's not just me. :) It seems like the number of women getting IUDs is increasing as well, based on the number of success stories in this thread alone.

Aceofblue fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 22, 2011

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
The last couple periods I've had with the NuvaRing have been pretty hellish and it's rather strange...I've been using it over a year now, and cramps had been mild at best. the past two periods have been gut-wrenching to say the least. I had to run out to the drug store and get heating pads so that I could relax and sleep, otherwise I was in tears with cramps. I was wondering if this is something I should mention to my Dr at tomorrow's appointment, also, has this ever happened to anyone?

I was also considering the Paragard IUD as I'm tired of hormonal BC methods, but now I'm apprehensive as I've heard it can really make cramping hellish for a few months to a year. And input on that would be appreciated. I'm not looking to get the Mirena one as I don't react well with progestin at all...I had the Depo shot and ballooned up in weight, and I'm noticing a weight increase with NuvaRing as well, though not nearly as much, even though I do have an active lifestyle and eat right.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Aceofblue posted:

I would definitely suggest looking into it and talking to your doctor if you've been dissatisfied with other methods of BC. If any and all hormones are an issue, the copper IUD doesn't have any, but it does have its various side effects that I'm not very well acquainted with.

Thank you! I've heard some good things about the IUD (from this thread mostly), but the idea of them kind of scare me if I'm honest. Just the insertion and then the removal, and if something goes wrong I'm stuck with it for like five years right? :/

If anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with a copper IUD I'd love to hear about them :)

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

oliven posted:

Thank you! I've heard some good things about the IUD (from this thread mostly), but the idea of them kind of scare me if I'm honest. Just the insertion and then the removal, and if something goes wrong I'm stuck with it for like five years right? :/

If anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with a copper IUD I'd love to hear about them :)

If something goes wrong with the IUD, you definitely aren't stuck with it for five years - they CAN stay in you for several years (varies by IUD), but they can also be removed at any point. I know that doctors prefer that patients leave them in for a long time, but mainly because they're expensive and insertion/removal can sometimes be difficult; if you have trouble with it, though, they will remove it. :)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Hooooooooo, Mirena in. Worst cramps I've ever felt in my life (but then I've been lucky enough to pretty much never have cramps) and I felt like passing out once I got home, but it's a lot better now that I've taken ibuprofen and eaten something. Unfortunately I discovered that my heating pad is broken, at the worst time. :(

Insertion only took like five minutes and the doctor was quick and professional and kind about it. Fingers crossed everything stays cool!
I asked her about using my cup still and she really disliked cups at all (something about the blood just sitting in a cup in there?) and said she didn't recommend it, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep using it since tampons are painful for me and pads just suck.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Is there anyone who can grab a heating pad for you? What about a hot bath? Or are you supposed to stay out of the water at first?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was told not to take baths after for a week, I think. I also use a DivaCup and it's just fine. If you have a sock and some rice you could make that into a heating pad if there is no one who can go get you one :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

bobula posted:

I asked her about using my cup still and she really disliked cups at all (something about the blood just sitting in a cup in there?) and said she didn't recommend it, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep using it since tampons are painful for me and pads just suck.

That's... really weird. Does she hate tampons too?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I was told not to take baths after for a week, I think. I also use a DivaCup and it's just fine. If you have a sock and some rice you could make that into a heating pad if there is no one who can go get you one :(

Could you use beans in lieu of rice or would microwaving them cause them to explode? If nothing else, then get a washcloth/hand towel wet, wring out the extra water and microwave that as necessary.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Triangulum posted:

That's... really weird. Does she hate tampons too?

She said "it's like having a cold cup of coffee in the back of your throat for hours. Ew!"

I asked the same thing about tampons, but those were cool with her since they soak stuff up I guess. She was great otherwise, so I'll leave her to her opinions on the cup.

I've discovered that laying on my stomach practically eliminates cramps, as does shoving hot food down my gullet at all times. Maybe that's where people get the potential weight gain from.

I was told no unprotected sex for TWO WEEKS! That seems kind of long to me! They told me two weeks when I started the ring too and I thought that also seemed excessive. Are they just playing it really safe?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

bobula posted:

I was told no unprotected sex for TWO WEEKS! That seems kind of long to me! They told me two weeks when I started the ring too and I thought that also seemed excessive. Are they just playing it really safe?

For the first week at least, you should keep stuff out of there period because your cervix just got its rear end kicked and you may be more susceptible to infection. A week of condoms on top of that may just be for additional protection on that end, perhaps?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Do you even want to have sex after forcing your cervix open? I imagine it takes several days for it to feel like normal, let alone ready for action.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

The Peacock posted:

I was also considering the Paragard IUD as I'm tired of hormonal BC methods, but now I'm apprehensive as I've heard it can really make cramping hellish for a few months to a year. And input on that would be appreciated.
The hell periods definitely don't happen to everyone, although they seem to be pretty common. I've had my Paragard for almost a year, and I only had one bad period right after insertion. Now my periods involve about a day and a half of real bleeding, which is less than I had on the pill and definitely less than I ever got pre-BC.

The cramping can occasionally suck, but again, I'm not sure how it compares to not being on BC. (I had Mirenas for ten years before this thing, so it's been a long time.) If you're worried about bad periods, though, I'd consider Mirena over Paragard. For nearly everyone, Mirena will fix that poo poo, and the dosage (and thus the hormonal side effects) are nothing like Depo.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

samizdat posted:

It could, depending on whether or not the non-active ingredients (fillers) are different in the generic versus the brand. Most of the patients in at our pharmacy seem to not have problems, though some have reported spotting, etc. Generally we try not to switch patients unless it's an issue with insurance, or they request the cheaper alternative, etc.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

fork bomb posted:

Do you even want to have sex after forcing your cervix open? I imagine it takes several days for it to feel like normal, let alone ready for action.

Ugh yeah, I had sex just about a week after getting my IUD inserted - at one point he got a little too vigorous and hit my cervix, and I screamed in pain. :( Take it easy, for sure.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Buhhh, I did the sex without a condom tonight. I have poor self control D: Nothing hurt though, I just hope no bacteria got in there? I'm going to be good now. I have a total lack of cramps 2 days after having it done so it just seems so easy to proceed as usual now.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just switched oral contraceptives from seasonique (which was amazing and amazingly EXPENSIVE) back to cheapo orthotricyclin after being on the seasonique for six months. This morning was my third day of the pack and around 1pm I was puking up a raging post-lunch storm. I distinctly remember having a similar problem a year or so ago back before the initial switch. I don't want to go whining to my doctor about some nausea, but I also don't want to be puking my guts out when my fiance comes home Monday from a year long deployment.

So what can I do to avoid the nausea later? Eat a big meal, take the pill at a different time? I hate being a fertile female.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I too suffer from potential vomit attacks from birth control. What's your pill schedule? Is it possible for you to take your pill more toward the end of the night? I put my ring in at 9PM, don't eat anything after that, and I get to sleep through the nausea I get that kicks in around 3AM. OTC anti-nausea meds might help as well.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
When did you take your pill? I usually tried to take mine with food (dinner to be specific), though you don't have to.

However, if you did experience nausea while on it originally, chances are high you'll continue to experience it this time around. There are other pills out there, and it is within your right to go back to your doctor for a new pill.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I've been taking it at 10am the last few months and haven't had a problem. I think the seasonique is just a lot more mild than the cheaper brands. I'll try taking it with dinner the next few days and see if that helps.

OTC anti nausea pills sounds like a great idea if changing the time doesn't help.

Thanks guys.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh if that's suddenly cropped up then that's pretty troublesome. I misread and thought that you had just started on it and assumed 3 month trial period symptoms. If neither of those things help, definitely switch pills, nausea is absolutely not something you should have to live with. Good luck!

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh if that's suddenly cropped up then that's pretty troublesome. I misread and thought that you had just started on it and assumed 3 month trial period symptoms. If neither of those things help, definitely switch pills, nausea is absolutely not something you should have to live with. Good luck!

Well, I did just switch BACK to the orthotricyclin. I've only been back on that for a few days. I hate it, but can't afford to stay on the better pills because I'm a poor student.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mr Kapu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just switched oral contraceptives from seasonique (which was amazing and amazingly EXPENSIVE) back to cheapo orthotricyclin after being on the seasonique for six months. This morning was my third day of the pack and around 1pm I was puking up a raging post-lunch storm. I distinctly remember having a similar problem a year or so ago back before the initial switch. I don't want to go whining to my doctor about some nausea, but I also don't want to be puking my guts out when my fiance comes home Monday from a year long deployment.

So what can I do to avoid the nausea later? Eat a big meal, take the pill at a different time? I hate being a fertile female.

When I first started taking the pill and the nausea thing was at its worst, it helped me to take it later in the day. I was taking it at night and tended to get nauseous in the morning, so taking it in the late afternoon (4 or 5:00) helped me, but your experience will probably vary depending on when it usually hits.

Like Mr Kapu said, there's also the option of nausea remedies. Stuff like Dramamine, ginger ale or tea, peppermint, etc.

Meniscus
May 28, 2010
Yay, got my IUD! The insertion was probably the worst pain I ever suffered, or at least in my recent memory, but the doc was totally cool and patient with me and got it done as gently but quickly as he could. He then looked to make sure it was all in place with the dildocam, and complimented my uterus, saying it was a nice right size for an IUD, even without kids. 2 weeks of condoms, but then I should be totally covered! Thanks guys, for the information!

I must call on your collective aid once more and assuage my anxiety. This thing isn't just going to, like, fall out right? With just day to day moving around? It sounds stupid, but I'm kinda worried it'll just come out and I won't notice. (Anxiety may be compounded by the fact that the strings are way short, so I can't just check and make sure its still there at least not easily--my one real complaint about the doc--though my boyfriend will probably appreciate it.)

And what about weightlifting? Doing squats and crunches and stuff, even with high weight, as long as I use proper form, won't cause the IUD to dislodge....will it? I like lifting, it makes me feel less icky about myself.

Thanks again!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Is it normal for your period to suddenly change its pattern when on the pill?

I used to bleed four days, then it would stop for a day, and then it would start again for one more day.

This stopped, and I would just bleed for the four days and be done with it, like the pill packs implied. But the past two months, I've started my old pattern again. Last month, I figured it was due to taking it at irregular times, but this month, I've been pretty drat spot on every day. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's very irritating.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Meniscus posted:

I must call on your collective aid once more and assuage my anxiety. This thing isn't just going to, like, fall out right? With just day to day moving around? It sounds stupid, but I'm kinda worried it'll just come out and I won't notice.

If it comes out, you WILL notice - but if it hasn't done so yet, it probably won't, so don't freak out about it. When I got mine I was afraid to poop for about 3 days because I was worried it would pop right out, even though I really knew better. It wasn't until my husband asked me "can you feel it hanging out in there?" and I was like "no, don't be stupid!" that I realised it's actually pretty safe and not coming out any time soon. Now I barely even remember that I have one :D

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Meniscus posted:

Yay, got my IUD! The insertion was probably the worst pain I ever suffered, or at least in my recent memory, but the doc was totally cool and patient with me and got it done as gently but quickly as he could. He then looked to make sure it was all in place with the dildocam, and complimented my uterus, saying it was a nice right size for an IUD, even without kids. 2 weeks of condoms, but then I should be totally covered! Thanks guys, for the information!

I must call on your collective aid once more and assuage my anxiety. This thing isn't just going to, like, fall out right? With just day to day moving around? It sounds stupid, but I'm kinda worried it'll just come out and I won't notice. (Anxiety may be compounded by the fact that the strings are way short, so I can't just check and make sure its still there at least not easily--my one real complaint about the doc--though my boyfriend will probably appreciate it.)

And what about weightlifting? Doing squats and crunches and stuff, even with high weight, as long as I use proper form, won't cause the IUD to dislodge....will it? I like lifting, it makes me feel less icky about myself.

Thanks again!

I'm glad your doc was so patient! Did he explain the dildocam before he used it? That was the biggest shock of the entire experience for my first insertion. The doc wasn't quite sure he got the placement right and wanted to check, so he sent me over to another room to have the nurse do a quick ultrasound (which had no happened for my friend's insertion). I'd never had an ultrasound before and was not expecting the dildo thing.

It's not going to just fall out because of anything you have control over really. They do sometimes expel, which is most likely to happen in the first couple of months. It's not because of lifting or pooping or anything though, it just happens. You will (almost certainly) notice if it does. Some women apparently do not notice when it comes out, according to studies I've read, but it's pretty uncommon and I think may be tied to how much the woman understood about the IUD.

I'd be careful with the lifting for a few days-couple weeks post-insertion. Don't go back tomorrow and try to do your full routine. Try a lighter version to make sure you don't get lots of cramping and then work up from there. Too much exertion can kind of irritate things for some women after insertion and it sucks to overdo it and then have bad cramping. Once your body is over the insertion you'll be fine though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I started back on Microgynon after my implant failed on me. Since a few weeks after I'd been back on it, my breasts have been sore. The slight jiggle that happens whenever you walk somewhere (even when wearing a bra) is a bit uncomfortable, and generally pressing on them is as well. It's not agonising or anything, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and how long it lasted for? I saw somewhere online that it usually goes after 3 months but I'd like some anecdotal evidence if anyone has any.

Totally forgot to mention it at my last doctor's appointment and I'm moving away so won't be able to get another one for a fair while, and 'cause it isn't a massive issue I thought I'd ask the internet before worrying, I have a family history of breast cancer so I get paranoid about these things.

Ah, hormones are wonderful.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm coming up on the week to take out my NuvaRing. For a while, at my doctor's orders, I was leaving it in the full 4 weeks to stop my periods because of the endo. There was a big long drawn out thing where I switched the oral birth control that I had been taking in addition to the NuvaRing, stopped taking the one I was put on most currently and just went back to using the NuvaRing like normal.
I haven't had a normal period since before February and this NuvaRing I'm on now, I just stuck it in whenever since I had no indications of a cycle, let alone the end of one. I'm hoping to have a period when this NuvaRing is up, which will be August 3. If I don't get a period, what do I do?
I have no issues with leaving it in for the full 4 weeks again, I just wanted to kind of experiment and see if I would have a period or not. But if I take it out, don't have a period the day or second day after, should I wait until I do, or just go ahead and put it back it on the 10th?
And ugh, sorry if this is so confusing. It's hard to keep track of what I'm writing on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You'll either get a period or you won't, but the follow up is the same. Put in a new ring a week later as you would normally. :)

Also note that it's super unlikely you'll get a period the day of taking the ring out, usually its 2-3 days later, but you might start spotting at any time while it's out.

• Locked thread