Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

What I mean is, when you have to carry it in a camera bag anyway instead of just in your pocket, the size difference b/w the G12 and an micro4/3 camera suddenly is pretty negligible.

I'm not sure I'd carry the s95 in my pants pocket anyway. Either the S95 or G12 would fit pretty comfortably in a jacket pocket though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Costello Jello posted:

What I mean is, when you have to carry it in a camera bag anyway instead of just in your pocket, the size difference b/w the G12 and an micro4/3 camera suddenly is pretty negligible.

Then the difference between a micro 4/3rds and a real DSLR becomes negligible too. You have to draw the line somewhere.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm thinking of buying a new camera for my wife, and that PowerShot ELPH 510 HS they've just announced looks like it could be suitable. I'd be interested to see the quality of the LCD, though; I recently tried out my friend's new Powershot, and was horrified by how poo poo the screen was compared to my S95.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I haven't looked at one myself but it has the same resolution as the S90'5 so should be fairly good. The low end ones are way lower res.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So here's my conundrum. I need a camera for a trip taking place mid October. I want to get the s95 or it's successor. However if it's successor isn't released until September, when would it actually be available in stores?

However even if it wasn't available for purchase by the timeframe I need, would it drive the price of the s95 down even lower (and thus I should still wait for the release?)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

So here's my conundrum. I need a camera for a trip taking place mid October. I want to get the s95 or it's successor. However if it's successor isn't released until September, when would it actually be available in stores?

However even if it wasn't available for purchase by the timeframe I need, would it drive the price of the s95 down even lower (and thus I should still wait for the release?)

Canon has been pretty unreliable with getting announced products to market when they say they are going to. It was like this before the earthquake and I'm sure it's worse now. For example the new 8-15 lens was supposed to come out around January this year. It's just now hitting stores. I'm sure things are more efficient on the Point and Shoot side of things, but don't expect it to be like an Apple product where it's in stores when they say it's going to be in stores.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How much photography experience do you have? Don't buy the camera a week before the trip, it takes a while to to get a good grip on the controls and have all the quirkiness sorted out. Don't be like me, raving about the new toy Olympus XZ-1 and then making GBS threads it on it :smith: For the record charging the s95/s90 series is alot easier than the XZ-1, not stupid proprietary hybrid USB cables.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not sure I'd carry the s95 in my pants pocket anyway. Either the S95 or G12 would fit pretty comfortably in a jacket pocket though.

s95 would fit the jean back pocket but it would scratch the LCD screen, that's what replaceable screen protectors are for!

Ernie McCracken
May 13, 2010
Thinking about picking up a S95 soon. It seems the S90, even though it's two generations behind, never really dropped THAT much. S95s have been creeping slowly down to about 350 from the nearly 400 they were hanging out at for the past 6 months. Unless the S95 replacement offers better low-light performance I'd probably rather get the S95.. will prices be close to bottom around the time of the announcement of the replacement or will it still be a few more months?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know bridge cameras are not very popular around here, but I just put my Panasonic DMC-FZ50 up in SA-mart. This camera has pretty nice ergonomics and manual controls, but obviously the sensor and video are a generation or two behind the new cameras these days.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

caberham posted:

How much photography experience do you have? Don't buy the camera a week before the trip, it takes a while to to get a good grip on the controls and have all the quirkiness sorted out. Don't be like me, raving about the new toy Olympus XZ-1 and then making GBS threads it on it :smith: For the record charging the s95/s90 series is alot easier than the XZ-1, not stupid proprietary hybrid USB cables.

s95 would fit the jean back pocket but it would scratch the LCD screen, that's what replaceable screen protectors are for!

I have 0 photographic experience (well I did take a class in HS but I don't remember a thing). However, I would certainly like to learn.

We've decided to pull the trigger this week in time for a wedding this weekend. However, the wife is still not happy with a $365 price point for the S95.

Will I regret purchasing a nicer ELPH model instead? As much as I'd love to get the S95 - will I really notice the difference as a newbie?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

I have 0 photographic experience (well I did take a class in HS but I don't remember a thing). However, I would certainly like to learn.

We've decided to pull the trigger this week in time for a wedding this weekend. However, the wife is still not happy with a $365 price point for the S95.

Will I regret purchasing a nicer ELPH model instead? As much as I'd love to get the S95 - will I really notice the difference as a newbie?
As a newbie, maybe not. If you intend to grow beyond that, yes, absolutely.

I bought a bridge camera several years ago thinking that the zoom, sensor, etc were "good enough". When I realize what I can do now with my S95 (and, of course, DSLR), I feel really dumb for spending ~$400 on what was really just a glorified point & shoot.

The S95 is one of the few point & shoot cameras that can take truly good pictures - there really is a big difference. If your wife doesn't like the price point, look into used S90s - they should be a fair bit cheaper, and they're nearly as good.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

I think you will. My girlfriend abandoned her old camera and now uses my S90 exclusively. She only shoots snapshots on auto but raves about how good the camera is. It's got a larger sensor, better low light performance, and I'm assuming better metering. One example she mentions is shooting people in front of the castle at Magic Kingdom at night. Most cameras she's used will under expose the lit up castle and only properly expose the people she's shooting. This would make a photo that showed the subjects with a dim background. The S90 is smart enough (or good enough in low light) to expose the background castle properly and pop off enough flash to properly expose the people in the photo. So if she notices a big difference, I'm sure you will.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Lowness 72 posted:

Outdoors on a sunny day you probably won't notice a big difference. Indoors, or any lesser light situation, you will notice a gigantic difference.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pulled the trigger on a G12 last night. The heart wants what the heart wants...

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Well lets say we just can't come to an agreement and the S95 isn't happening. We are planning on heading down to B and H today to check out cameras.

If our absolute limit is $300, and would like to stay closer to $200, what's the recommendation? One of the Elph models? Maybe something besides a Canon?

Edit: The Nikon S8100 looks pretty good and is a little better pricewise. Any opinion on it?

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 29, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Well lets say we just can't come to an agreement and the S95 isn't happening. We are planning on heading down to B and H today to check out cameras.

If our absolute limit is $300, and would like to stay closer to $200, what's the recommendation? One of the Elph models? Maybe something besides a Canon?

Edit: The Nikon S8100 looks pretty good and is a little better pricewise. Any opinion on it?

It's hard to say as the selection of point and shoot changes almost every month (aside from the high end like the Canon S and G series). The only thing that remains constant is that when you buy a Canon P&S you generally get what you pay for. The general consensus of this thread is that you should just buy the most expensive Canon you can get. I agree with this advice.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Well, a refurbished S90 is $279. It is not $200 but fits under your hard cap of $300. It is also not new and isn't at B&H.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jsmith114 posted:

Well, a refurbished S90 is $279. It is not $200 but fits under your hard cap of $300. It is also not new and isn't at B&H.

They're also considerably cheaper used on ebay.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It's probably going to cost way more than the S95, but Fuji just announced a P&S that looks absolutely amazing on paper.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's probably going to cost way more than the S95, but Fuji just announced a P&S that looks absolutely amazing on paper.
That looks like it will be pretty sweet but it's won't fit in a jeans pocket like the s90/95 does. For me, that's the whole reason to carry a p&s.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Wow, they did an amazing job on it. The compromises aren't nearly as bad as I anticipated. It's not an x100 competitor, but it's definitely going to blow the G12 out of the water in my opinion.

The rumor I heard on pricing was 600 dollars, but that's just a rumor.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There are probably a bunch of Olympus XZ-1 owners that are wishing they had held out a little longer.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is that threading for a screw-in cable release? Awesome.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Just happened to notice that the Canon refurb site is offering the SD4000 for $175. This camera is somewhat close to the S90/S95 in that it has a lens that shoot F/2.0 wide open. It also has a backlit sensor which improves noise a bit a bit at high ISO. It is certainly missing awesome features like the control wheel and shooting RAW, but for $175 it is the best low light P&S under $200 that I am aware of. DPReview.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The X100 seemed like a cool idea but I've been hearing a lot of very bad things about it. I don't know if I trust Fuji. When you look past the hype it seems like laggy, $1200 point and shoot with a busted focusing system and poor battery life. Cost more than a DSLR set up, does less, and doesn't work as well as a $100 point and shoot.

Right now this thing looks like a less pocket-able G12. I'm not falling for any magic Fuji hype.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Haggins posted:

The X100 seemed like a cool idea but I've been hearing a lot of very bad things about it. I don't know if I trust Fuji. When you look past the hype it seems like laggy, $1200 point and shoot with a busted focusing system and poor battery life. Cost more than a DSLR set up, does less, and doesn't work as well as a $100 point and shoot.

Right now this thing looks like a less pocket-able G12. I'm not falling for any magic Fuji hype.

We were trashing that guy's "review" over on the x100 forum. He clearly doesn't "get" the camera, and is a gearpig.

I've had my x100 for over 5 months, and I haven't touched my 5D since I got it. It gives 5D image quality with the 35L, (better in some ways, zero Chromatic aberrations whereas the 35L has CA like crazy) massive viewfinder, and the focusing works just fine once you get used to the fact there is parallax from using an offset viewfinder.

I've borrowed a friend's Canon s90, and there is no contest. Not only is the image quality from the x100 lightyears beyond any pocket camera, but the manual knobs and dials are a delight.

The x10 doesn't tempt me solely because I like the X100 so much, and not really willing to give up the large sensor and DoF that comes with it. If I were in the market for a small camera with a zoom though, the x10 would definitely be at the top of my list. A useable optical viewfinder is a godsend, and the x10's looks like it's going to be way nicer than the one on the g12. The viewfinder on the X100 is certainly amazing, just as large and crystal clear as my 5D's.

Like literally the only bad reviews of the X100 are from dslr wunderplastik gear pigs with lovely portfolios. You had to look hard to find bad words on it, because every review I've ever seen from actual photographers has been glowing. The numerous prints I've made from mine are certainly all the proof I needed.

And how does it cost more than a dslr setup? Name me a single DSLR where you can get a 35mm equivalent F2 lens for 1,200 dollars that autofocuses? I'm guessing by "does less" you mean you can't change lenses? That's kind of the point, and how they get it so small.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The estimated price is 600 dollars. More than the s90 (not sure about the g12) but you get a much nicer build quality and a working OVF, not to mention 1080p video if that's your thing.

The build quality and OVF of the X100 alone has me interested in the x10. I even asked my husband if he would use a digital camera if I got him one because I want to somehow justify getting the X10 as well.

I love the lens MM markings on the barrel (of the x10), and how you turn it on by rotating the lens. Very cool design.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

And how does it cost more than a dslr setup? Name me a single DSLR where you can get a 35mm equivalent F2 lens for 1,200 dollars that autofocuses? I'm guessing by "does less" you mean you can't change lenses? That's kind of the point, and how they get it so small.

I don't know what the low end Nikons are but you could find a body for $400-$900 and pick up a 35 1.8 for $200. Same goes for Sony. Or you could get Rebel XS for under $400 and a Sigma 30 1.4 for $500. You'd save a ton of money, have a camera that can do a lot more, and have a AF system that works.

Also comparing a X100 to a S90 isn't very fair. The X100 isn't pocket camera and costs 4x more.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 2, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Haggins posted:

I don't know what the low end Nikons are but you could find a body for $400-$900 and pick up a 35 1.8 for $200. Same goes for Sony. Or you could get Rebel XS for under $400 and a Sigma 30 1.4 for $500. You'd save a ton of money, have a camera that can do a lot more, and have a AF system that works.
Those lenses are ~50mm equivalents. It's much more difficult to find a fast 24mm.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Haggins posted:

Also comparing a X100 to a S90 isn't very fair. The X100 isn't pocket camera and costs 4x more.

Both of those give you 50mm equivalents, not 35mm, and anyone considering a fixed lens camera is going to feel quite strongly about what that fixed lens is. So it looks like you can't get a 35mm f/2 on a dslr for under 1,200, which is what you suggested. (plus why are you suggesting comparing a used DSLR to a new camera? The new rebels (and the only ones with comparable sensor quality) are 550 dollars.

The AF works just fine in the X100. Remember I'm the one that actually owns one? and unlike RC, I've had it for 5 months and use it extensively.

I was quoting the person's post about the X10 (the new fuji camera with zoom lens), where they mentioned the Canon s95.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 2, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ahh, I was thinking crop factor with the Fuji too.

Now don't get me wrong, as much as I'm not very impressed with the X100 or the X10, I still like where Fuji is going. If they could make an real range finder with solid performance for under $2000, I'd be very interested.

Edit: I wasn't suggesting used, Rebel XS are under $400 new . Direct from Amazon and B&H only sell kits for around $440.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 2, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Haggins posted:

Ahh, I was thinking crop factor with the Fuji too.

Now don't get me wrong, as much as I'm not very impressed with the X100 or the X10, I still like where Fuji is going. If they could make an real range finder with solid performance for under $2000, I'd be very interested.

The thing is, the X100 has only one real con (for actual photographers, that is) and that's the fixed 35mm lens. However if that's not a con for you, it is literally the best choice there is, unless you somehow are the only person on earth not to care about size and weight. Nothing else offers the image quality, lens performance/speed, viewfinder size and clarity, and solid metal body with real dials for aperture and shutter.

It is an impressive camera, even if it's not for you. No other manufacturer was going in this direction, and they've made a very distinctive camera, with solid design and amazing performance. I liken it to the Wii or iphone/ipad. I don't want either, but I can recognize a good product and piece of engineering when I see it.

And even with a 400 dollar body, an f/2 24mm lens is expensive. Most are over 1,000 and they are large and heavy. It's better almost to think of the X100 as an amazing 35mm f/2 lens with a good camera attached, and that is what really shows why it's priced how it is. It's especially impressive that the whole camera is lighter than either Nikon or Canon's 24mm sub-f/2 lenses by themselves.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 2, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

And back to the Fuji X10, here are two cool links

http://yfrog.com/z/gzz7gyxj X100 vs X10 vs G12. Surprising it ekes out more lines per inch than the X100, but most small sensor cameras are really sharp, but the noise and dynamic range seems really impressive, half way between the G12 and the X100. Wondering what ISO that dynamic range is at though, cause the X100 just destroys the g12 above ISO 400, and at ISO 6400 it's just laughable.

http://yfrog.com/z/gzz7gyxj X10 (and X100) compared to it's peers on a table so you can see size)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
My cousin asked me about buying a camera to shoot her son at school events (on stage). If she wanted a DSLR I could help her, but she doesn't want to spend more than $200 and I know jack about point and shoots.

That seems low to me for even for a P&S, but are they any options that would work for her that in that price range?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

My cousin asked me about buying a camera to shoot her son at school events (on stage). If she wanted a DSLR I could help her, but she doesn't want to spend more than $200 and I know jack about point and shoots.

That seems low to me for even for a P&S, but are they any options that would work for her that in that price range?

A Pentax ME Super with 50mm f/1.7, a developing tank, reels and chemicals. And lots of Tri-X.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Probably the Nikon s8100. It's 200 right now, and it has a 10x zoom. Don't even try to get her P&S with a brighter lens but "only" 3-4x zoom. For whatever reason, girls who just want P&Ses are OBSESSED with zoom, to the detriment of any other features.

The s8100 actually is a good point and shoot though. She'll probably be really happy with it, because she doesn't know to expect more from a camera in a setting like a dark theatre.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
I've got a dumb question: does lowering resolution in-camera reduce noise? Manufacturers have been steadily raising megapixel counts without increasing sensor size in p&s cameras, which increases noise. Can you take matters into your own hands? If I take a 6MP shot on a 14MP camera with say, ISO 800, will I see less noise?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

ma i married a tuna posted:

If I take a 6MP shot on a 14MP camera with say, ISO 800, will I see less noise?

Probably not, unfortunately, a cheaper camera will just resize the image when it saves it to the memory card. However, there ARE cameras that do exactly what you thinking of, and will use neighboring pixels to increase either ISO performance or color range, at the expense of resolution. You just need to make sure the camera has that feature before you purchase.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Costello Jello posted:

Probably not, unfortunately, a cheaper camera will just resize the image when it saves it to the memory card.

But resizing an image will reduce noise. Of course, you are also reducing detail along with the noise.

It's sort of like how the larger the print, the more you'll notice noise. Lots of images will look fine on a 4x6 print, but not so hot at 12x18.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Ahh I was almost settled on picking up the LX5, especially with news of the 2.0 firmware update, until I saw that X10.

• Locked thread