Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Stalizard posted:

Do any of you fine folks know how to remove packing tape from a very old, allegedly valuable copy of Monopoly? :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: found one at a thrift store and it is all in pretty good shape except for the large brown piece of tape across the front of the box. We've tried freezing it for a couple days to no avail, and she tried peeling it off with a hair dryer and that hasn't worked either.

Are there any other options? Are we doomed to a copy of Monopoly that is hell of such as torn up on the front?

To add to what Fig Newton said, if you ever come across anything even remotely collectable, you should never to to 'restore' it or otherwise mess with its condition. Erasing signatures, repairing rips, removing price tags will only end up lowering its value to collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stalizard posted:

Do any of you fine folks know how to remove packing tape from a very old, allegedly valuable copy of Monopoly? :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: found one at a thrift store and it is all in pretty good shape except for the large brown piece of tape across the front of the box. We've tried freezing it for a couple days to no avail, and she tried peeling it off with a hair dryer and that hasn't worked either.

Are there any other options? Are we doomed to a copy of Monopoly that is hell of such as torn up on the front?

You might have some luck ironing it off with steam and a cloth between iron and box, but if a tear is clearly visible under the tape, it's better to leave it as is. The line between valuable and crap is more damage.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Fig Newton posted:

Or just call them. Why do you have to pay yours on the 16th? Is that a Chase thing? Discover and Citicard give me about 3 weeks.

My payment date is the 16th of the current month, but I'm actually paying for last month's bill, so I actually do get 3-4 weeks to pay it.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'm just going to start paying on the 1st instead of the 16th. I was sort of confusing myself with the billing cycle dates and the actual bill due date. Whoops.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Please settle a grammar argument between my husband and I. I saw a stupid sign on our local church that said:

YOU THINK
I MADE THAT ABILITY
-GOD

I remarked to him that I parsed it wrong the first few times I read it, as if it said "You think I made that ability?". We then got into an argument about what punctuation was proper. I say that a semi-colon, dash or a couple periods would be correct. He says in school he was taught that "I made that ability." would be wrong, because it refers to the previous sentence. He thinks a comma would be correct. Please bitch-slap some grammar into him for me, or call me an idiot. Either would work.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Domus posted:

Please settle a grammar argument between my husband and I. I saw a stupid sign on our local church that said:

YOU THINK
I MADE THAT ABILITY
-GOD

I remarked to him that I parsed it wrong the first few times I read it, as if it said "You think I made that ability?". We then got into an argument about what punctuation was proper. I say that a semi-colon, dash or a couple periods would be correct. He says in school he was taught that "I made that ability." would be wrong, because it refers to the previous sentence. He thinks a comma would be correct. Please bitch-slap some grammar into him for me, or call me an idiot. Either would work.

He's comma-splicing, which is incorrect. A semicolon, a dash, or a period after "think" is appropriate. (An ellipsis - ... - is not, as it implies either omission or, in dialogue, a pause in an otherwise continuous clause.)

And it's perfectly legitimate to use definite pronouns to refer to nouns first introduced in previous sentences. It would only be incorrect if "I made that ability" were the first sentence.

(I'm pretty sure it's "my husband and me", too, since "between" takes the objective case. But I'm not absolutely certain about that.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 24, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Domus posted:

YOU THINK
I MADE THAT ABILITY
-GOD

It has nothing to do with whether the two thoughts are connected or whether the second one refers back to the first, and everything to do with emphasis.

This is the intention:

"You think." [full stop]
"I made that ability." [full stop]

Thus, periods.

P.S. Bonus grammar check! "Between my husband and me", not "between my husband and I".

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/betweenyouandme.html

:D

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
We both get grammar slapped. Yay!

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If you're wondering why it's "husband and me", it's because "I" is only used when you are the subject of a sentence (performing the action). In elementary school, we were taught over and over again that when you refer to [somoene] and you (first person), you always say "I", and this was thrown at us as if it were an all-encompassing rule. Besides the grammar talk, those church signs serve as a source of amusement for me, poor grammar and all.

My question: I'm wondering if my family made a mistake in installing a fairly comprehensive water softening (purifying/cleaning) system in our house when we first moved here. Of course if you didn't know anything about science and health, you'd think that cleaner water is better. But we have a little faucet in our house that uses reverse osmosis (RO) to spit out its water, which is the source of some of the purest, man-cleaned water in the world. The problem with RO water, as I now know, is that it's so devoid of anything but water that it actually strips minerals from one's body (true?). Obviously drinking mostly this water for the past 10 years hasn't killed me, but I don't think it's helped at all. It feels stupid because this part of the world has the best municipal drinking water in the world.

So it seems as if we were bullshitted into paying for this water softening system, which wasn't cheap. I will say that softer water is better for cleaning anything though, and it doesn't leave behind as much mineral deposits as straight city water.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 24, 2011

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dudebro posted:

:words:

It's purely aesthetics.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Loki777 posted:

It's purely aesthetics.
What is, "x and I"? If that's the case, no, he's totally right. It's a form of hypercorrection encouraged by poor teaching of grammar.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dudebro posted:

If you're wondering why it's "husband and me", it's because "I" is only used when you are the subject of a sentence (performing the action). In elementary school, we were taught over and over again that when you refer to [somoene] and you (first person), you always say "I", and this was thrown at us as if it were an all-encompassing rule. Besides the grammar talk, those church signs serve as a source of amusement for me, poor grammar and all.

Oh, certainly. "I" is subjective, "me" is objective. ("my" is possessive!) I just couldn't remember whether "between" took objective or subjective pronouns, and couldn't decide whether objective was correct and subjective was hypercorrection or whether subjective was correct and I just use the objective as colloquialism. The more that I think about it, though, the more I come to the conclusion that there's never a case where a "between" phrase is used in the subjective, so objective is probably best.

(On the other hand: Dear Samuel Johnson: ENGLISH IS NOT LATIN. Love, EVERYONE EVER.)

And Fig Newton, you're right about the intent of the sign, but the issue does have quite a bit to do with connectedness; I think most, if not all, sources allow (and in some cases require) two related, adjacent independent clauses to be connected with a semicolon. A dash is generally substandard but you'll find it in a lot of journalism and less-than-perfectly-formal writing.

(In fact, separating them with periods - "You think. I made that ability." - implies that both sentences are of equal weight, when in fact, given the context of the sign, I'd guess that the second sentence is intended to carry more weight.)

(And, of course, it is still funny that the second sentence can be read as a dependent clause with an implied "that". "You think I made that ability? You're gonna go blind doin' that, son.")

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 24, 2011

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fun fact: In Danish (which is my native language), and probably in English too, 'between/from/after/etc my wife and I' is becoming grammatical in the internal grammars of the speakers, and it might just be a matter of time before it's not something anyone would notice. But with all the grammar nazis, who knows?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Dudebro posted:

My question: I'm wondering if my family made a mistake in installing a fairly comprehensive water softening (purifying/cleaning) system in our house when we first moved here. Of course if you didn't know anything about science and health, you'd think that cleaner water is better. But we have a little faucet in our house that uses reverse osmosis (RO) to spit out its water, which is the source of some of the purest, man-cleaned water in the world. The problem with RO water, as I now know, is that it's so devoid of anything but water that it actually strips minerals from one's body (true?). Obviously drinking mostly this water for the past 10 years hasn't killed me, but I don't think it's helped at all. It feels stupid because this part of the world has the best municipal drinking water in the world.

So it seems as if we were bullshitted into paying for this water softening system, which wasn't cheap. I will say that softer water is better for cleaning anything though, and it doesn't leave behind as much mineral deposits as straight city water.

RO water is awesome and you did not make a mistake. RO water does not "strip minerals from the body"; you have been listening to the "it's death to drink distilled water!" Mercola wack fringe.

You do not get minerals from water, you get minerals from food. Rainwater has no minerals in it, and people have been collecting and drinking rainwater for thousands of years. Eat a varied diet, take a daily over-the-counter multivitamin that contains minerals, and you will be fine.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/vitamins-and-minerals-good-food-sources

Your body is very good at regulating for itself the amount of minerals it has on hand for its essential biochemical work. If there's sufficient intake (from food), and if you aren't drinking gallons and gallons of any kind of water, then you don't need to worry about minerals being "stripped" from your body.

I understand where the "stripped" people are coming from, though--they have got hold of the idea of "diffusion", which in chemistry says that molecules of a substance will move from a region of high concentration to a region of lower concentration. The "stripped" people take this to mean that as pure, mineral-free water moves through your body, which is rich in minerals, the minerals will diffuse out of your body's tissues into the water, which is then moved out of your body via the kidneys, and thus, they think, your body has lost minerals because you drank distilled water. However, this is not a problem if you are providing your body with sufficient minerals intake from a normal diet.

The minerals that are found in tap water are in an inorganic form which your body can't use, and they are actually the insoluble mineral salts that can give you kidney stones if you live in certain hard-water areas. Your body can't use them.

The biggest reason to keep the RO faucet is that even the best municipal water can still have things like hormones, Prozac, Atrazine, and antibiotics.

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/pharmawater_site/day1_01.html

This is because municipal water is treated only to kill bacteria so you don't get dysentery from drinking it. They don't have a way to remove the Prozac. Reverse osmosis or distilling the water, however, does remove the Prozac.

This is a good article.
http://knol.google.com/k/reverse-osmosis-water-filter-guide-truth-lies-minerals-your-health

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Besesoth posted:

(In fact, separating them with periods - "You think. I made that ability." - implies that both sentences are of equal weight, when in fact, given the context of the sign, I'd guess that the second sentence is intended to carry more weight.)
I agree with this, and I'd put periods there. To wit:

YOU THINK.
(why? because)
I MADE THAT ABILITY.

This falls under the belief that nothing, not even thinking, is possible without God.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
He answers knee-mail you know.

edit: or should it be "He answers knee-mail, you know."

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 24, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cross-posting from the Windows Software megathread:

I am looking for video player software that:

1: can pan around a video that's zoomed in to a magnification greater than my screen size.
2: can do frame-by-frame increments when viewing.
3: preferably plays m2ts files.

1 and 2 are essential. So far I've been using VirtualDub for this, but I'm limited to how large I can have the zoom level because it can't be panned around and it's eventually going to be inadequate once I begin reviewing a different set of videos.

3 is not as essential, as the videos can be converted to a useable format (it's how I import them to Vdub), but this converting process takes god drat forever and lowers the video quality and I would like to avoid it if at all possible for these reason.

Someone mentioned before that m2ts files are too resource-heavy for on-the-fly editing. That's fine, my intention isn't to edit them. I just want to view them under the above conditions. Can anyone help? I'm running out of ideas here. Is there another thread/forum where this is more suitable for posting (Dorkroom, perhaps?)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Fun fact: In Danish (which is my native language), and probably in English too, 'between/from/after/etc my wife and I' is becoming grammatical in the internal grammars of the speakers, and it might just be a matter of time before it's not something anyone would notice. But with all the grammar nazis, who knows?

This is definitely the case in English as well. Some people seem to think that "foo and me" is grammatically incorrect no matter what instead of depending on the sentence.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mak0rz posted:

Cross-posting from the Windows Software megathread:

I am looking for video player software that:

1: can pan around a video that's zoomed in to a magnification greater than my screen size.
2: can do frame-by-frame increments when viewing.
3: preferably plays m2ts files.

You can try out all of adobes products for free:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

I would imagine the video editing stuff would have that functionality.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Fig Newton posted:

RO water is awesome and you did not make a mistake. RO water does not "strip minerals from the body"; you have been listening to the "it's death to drink distilled water!" Mercola wack fringe.

You do not get minerals from water, you get minerals from food. Rainwater has no minerals in it, and people have been collecting and drinking rainwater for thousands of years. Eat a varied diet, take a daily over-the-counter multivitamin that contains minerals, and you will be fine.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/vitamins-and-minerals-good-food-sources

Your body is very good at regulating for itself the amount of minerals it has on hand for its essential biochemical work. If there's sufficient intake (from food), and if you aren't drinking gallons and gallons of any kind of water, then you don't need to worry about minerals being "stripped" from your body.

I understand where the "stripped" people are coming from, though--they have got hold of the idea of "diffusion", which in chemistry says that molecules of a substance will move from a region of high concentration to a region of lower concentration. The "stripped" people take this to mean that as pure, mineral-free water moves through your body, which is rich in minerals, the minerals will diffuse out of your body's tissues into the water, which is then moved out of your body via the kidneys, and thus, they think, your body has lost minerals because you drank distilled water. However, this is not a problem if you are providing your body with sufficient minerals intake from a normal diet.

The minerals that are found in tap water are in an inorganic form which your body can't use, and they are actually the insoluble mineral salts that can give you kidney stones if you live in certain hard-water areas. Your body can't use them.

The biggest reason to keep the RO faucet is that even the best municipal water can still have things like hormones, Prozac, Atrazine, and antibiotics.

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/pharmawater_site/day1_01.html

This is because municipal water is treated only to kill bacteria so you don't get dysentery from drinking it. They don't have a way to remove the Prozac. Reverse osmosis or distilling the water, however, does remove the Prozac.

This is a good article.
http://knol.google.com/k/reverse-osmosis-water-filter-guide-truth-lies-minerals-your-health

Thanks for that detailed response. But have you heard of the water the IBM uses to clean its microchips? It's literally the purest water in the world. If you drink it, you'll die, this is according to IBM themselves. It's only H20 though. Is that not true?

No one really knows how much of the hormones can hurt you. Other pharmaceuticals, if they're in the parts per trillion (or even billion) I don't think will amount to anything over a person's lifetime. Hormones are meant to work in tiny quantities so maybe they're bad. If you find that your water has, for example, 10 parts per trillion of Prozac, it won't do anything.

I suppose it's better to use the RO and get my nutrients through food and vitamins since scientists aren't sure of the effects of the nanotraces of hormones and other things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is deionized water, which is done by a different process.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

Thanks for that detailed response. But have you heard of the water the IBM uses to clean its microchips? It's literally the purest water in the world. If you drink it, you'll die, this is according to IBM themselves. It's only H20 though. Is that not true?
I still don't believe it, but here's an article about the purity of water required for making today's electronics: The Dangerously Clean Water Used To Make Your IPhone. "Super-clean water tastes flat, heavy, and bitter."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
According to Wikipedia and its sources, pure water can be detrimental. You say we collect rainwater, but was that collected in a pure container? Filtered? Rainwater itself isn't pure.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Golbez posted:

According to Wikipedia and its sources, pure water can be detrimental. You say we collect rainwater, but was that collected in a pure container? Filtered? Rainwater itself isn't pure.

That's because it doesn't have electrolytes. You know what does have electrolytes? Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. It's got electrolytes!

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
How do power supplies work in electronics? Are they adding enough electricity into the circuit for the component demand then blocking incoming power and letting the electric in the system remain in there unless demand increases? If that's the case, what happens when demand decreases (if I remove a hot-swappable drive for example)? Where does that excess energy go?

I feel dumb for not being able to grasp that from the physics I did at school.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the other end of the circuit from the power supply is the ground (the middle prong on an American outlet). The ground is like a pit that can swallow unlimited amounts of electricity- it literally drains out of the system and disappears. Electricity doesn't stick around in the system, it's in constant movement like water through a hose.

DrRobotHead
Jan 23, 2008
Taking a bath with the toaster has never been so relaxing.
Could anyone point me toward some good tutorials/resources for learning HTML and CSS (preferably 5 and 3 respectively)? I'm aware of w3schools, and find myself using it as a reference tool, but I don't particularly like their tutorials.

I'm mostly looking for something that will cover a lot of the basic elements and then build on that at a reasonable pace.

Thankee!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Wait, is it true that drinking just water during heavy exercise (like marathon-running) can kill you? I heard that forever ago, and I remember being told about some woman who died during a marathon because she wasn't replacing sodium along with the water.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yes, it can create a huge and fatal electrolyte imbalance. It's not likely to happen, though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

That is deionized water, which is done by a different process.

Well, the book I'm reading didn't mention deionization :colbert:

I read that part of the Wikipedia article on drinking purified water. I'm not sure what the end message is. Both sides have an argument.

The book I'm reading is featured in that FastCompany article, The Big Thirst. Everything is fascinating. I just finished the chapter on how laughably sad the city of Toowoomba in Australia is.

After reading that cheapter, I wanted to ask if the story Toowoomba and its water is well known throughout Australia? Remember that prayer for rain that happened recently in Texas? Toowoomba pulled that off over 6 years ago. Then they had a referendum to decide on whether they would allow the Australian government to pay for two-thirds of a state of the art water recycling plant that would have cost in total A$68M.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

You can try out all of adobes products for free:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

I would imagine the video editing stuff would have that functionality.

This seems promising (I haven't tried them out yet), but I need more than a trial version and I know Adobe's products are obscenely expensive to buy. I need to use this program for longer than a month or two.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Bunch of free and others here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-advanced

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

gwar3k1 posted:

How do power supplies work in electronics? Are they adding enough electricity into the circuit for the component demand then blocking incoming power and letting the electric in the system remain in there unless demand increases? If that's the case, what happens when demand decreases (if I remove a hot-swappable drive for example)? Where does that excess energy go?

I feel dumb for not being able to grasp that from the physics I did at school.

Electricity works by flowing through things. In circuits, Power = Volts * Amps. Each of your computer components has a certain amount of amperage that it will draw, often depending on how hard it is working at the time. Each of your components also expects a (fairly) exact amount of Voltage across it in order to work correctly. Adding an additional component means that your computer as a whole is drawing more amperage, so the power supply needs to provide more power so that it can keep the voltage constant.

Energy is not the same thing as power. Power is measured in Watts, and Energy is measured in Joules (1 Joule = 1 Watt for 1 Second). (It's the same type of relationship between Speed and Distance: 1 Mile = 1 MPH for 1 Hour.) Your power supply is rated for a maximum number of Watts that it can consistently provide before it is unable to keep the Voltage steady enough for your components to function properly.

If it helps, (and it probably doesn't!) you can think as your computer from the bus in Speed. It needs to go exactly 60 miles per hour or it blows up. If a fat guy (external hard drive) is air-dropped onto your bus, it means that it's going to have to burn more gas (draw more power) in order to keep going the same exact speed. If he jumps off the bus, the engine doesn't have to work as hard, and won't draw as much gas. If a bunch of REALLY fat guy get on the bus, the engine's just not going to be able to work hard enough to keep the bus going at 60 MPH, and the bus will explode (computer will crash).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How do I keep someone from moving into my apartment without permission? My roommate (whom is one of my best friends) just let his girlfriend move into without my permission. We are both on the lease, she is not. She has all sorts of issues which make not want her to be anywhere around me.

Do I have any recourse? (Michigan).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IuniusBrutus posted:

How do I keep someone from moving into my apartment without permission? My roommate (whom is one of my best friends) just let his girlfriend move into without my permission. We are both on the lease, she is not. She has all sorts of issues which make not want her to be anywhere around me.

Do I have any recourse? (Michigan).

If he won't deal with you on the issue just call your landlord and prepare for a dramabomb.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can anyone recommend a legit credit report website? Free would be awesome, but if those are all shady then I'm willing to pay.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Do you just need a one-time credit report, or a monitoring service? Because you can get a free copy once a year from any of the three credit bureaus:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com

That's the non-scam one, that doesn't sign you up for any services, that's run by the credit bureaus themselves. freecreditreport.com and all the others are scams.

Otherwise, https://www.creditkarma.com is decent, but not 100% accurate for keeping track of your score.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thanks guys.

Edit: All of those reports were blank? Like, no score, no real 'credit' info at all. Just my address, name, etc and then legal jargon telling me my rights. No information other than that. The only one with any credit info on it was Experian, which told me who had looked into my report, and that there were 0 negative reports. Does this mean I just have zero credit history? That's definitely a possibility, I'm just trying to find out if the tuition fees my parents took out and then never paid are in my name and have destroyed my credit or not. Experian did note that a collections agency has done a credit check on me.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 25, 2011

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
PayPal question! I recently tried to purchase a monitor from someone using PayPal. I sent them the money but they refunded it because my PP account wasn't verified through my bank account. Fair enough.My mistake. But I'm not seeing the refunded money in either my PP account or my bank account. I got an email from PP today verifying the money was refunded. So where is it?!

Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanks guys.

Edit: All of those reports were blank? Like, no score, no real 'credit' info at all. Just my address, name, etc and then legal jargon telling me my rights. No information other than that. The only one with any credit info on it was Experian, which told me who had looked into my report, and that there were 0 negative reports. Does this mean I just have zero credit history? That's definitely a possibility, I'm just trying to find out if the tuition fees my parents took out and then never paid are in my name and have destroyed my credit or not. Experian did note that a collections agency has done a credit check on me.

If they're not on your credit report (either good or bad) than it would stand to reason that they're not in your name. It would be unusual for your student loans to be in your parents' names rather than yours, but I guess it is possible. I mean were they federally subsidized Stafford loans, or non-subsidized? Did they just go to the neighborhood loan shark? If you've ever had a loan or credit card in your name it would be on your report.

e: You could also try asking here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2250971

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 25, 2011