Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

commish posted:

Yeah, Amazon customer service is definitely tops, but it's pretty disconcerting that so many Kindles seem to break. I find it interesting that people base their choice of reader on how easy it is to get a replacement when their reader breaks, as if they are already resigned to the fact that it will indeed break. Hopefully the next round of Kindles will be a bit more sturdy, as I will probably pick one up in the fall.

Yeah, my first Kindle mysteriously died while it was sitting on a table overnight. I read until I went to bed, picked it up in the morning, and it died forever the first time I turned the page. I'm kind of worried about something similar happening again after it's out of warranty, since it's been almost a year now. It is a year warranty, right?

As far as damage goes, though, if you've got it in the official case (which is strong as hell, honestly) you'd have to be like the dude from Of Mice and Men to manage to break the thing, I think most of the people breaking them probably don't have the official case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there some easier way to put books into collections with the Kindle PC program besides one at a time?

It wouldn't bother me so much if the app didn't keep randomly crashing, erasing 90+% of the books I just added to various collections.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

commish posted:

Yeah, Amazon customer service is definitely tops, but it's pretty disconcerting that so many Kindles seem to break. I find it interesting that people base their choice of reader on how easy it is to get a replacement when their reader breaks, as if they are already resigned to the fact that it will indeed break. Hopefully the next round of Kindles will be a bit more sturdy, as I will probably pick one up in the fall.

I'm not abusive at all to mine, but my kindle has never had problems. That being said, for $139 WiFi only I don't think "durable" is the first thing i would think of with a Kindle.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

You guys talking about your Kindles dying for strange reasons make me worried for mine. :smith:

I'd be sad if mine ever broke, I'd like to see it last forever and ever!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any word on Amazon UK customers being able to purchase Kindle books for other Kindle users from the likes of their Wish List? I know the Yanks have had this ability for at least a few months now. But dammit, I'm not a Yank.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SlightButSteady posted:

Yeah, I first typed "than your average electronic device". A tablet is probably closer in terms of fragility, but the Kindle 3 is actually more vulnerable to damage IMO. A case is a must.

The Kindle 2 in comparison is actually quite sturdy.

I think the thing to compare to is that it's more vulnerable to damage than a regular old book, really. I.E. don't stick it in your back pocket like a paperback, don't just toss it in with a bunch of books, and so on. It's not about people treating it like other electronics, it's about people treating it like a slim paperback.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Are there any big eReaders that are either out now or coming soon that can handle different text layouts? Like let's say you had a main text on the page surrounded by commentaries on the sides and bottom. Or a main text with footnotes on the bottom.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So is it safe to use compressed air on a Kindle? Like the cans you use to clean out your keyboard and such?

Mine has some bits of fuzz and whatnot around the edges of the screen, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use on that fragile rear end thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeez, it's not that fragile.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Amazon is doing a deal of the day now for Kindle.

Today's deal is The Miraculous Journey Of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo for $1.39

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002NC733U

spixxor posted:

So is it safe to use compressed air on a Kindle? Like the cans you use to clean out your keyboard and such?

Mine has some bits of fuzz and whatnot around the edges of the screen, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use on that fragile rear end thing.

When I had mine, I would very gently use a toothpick to get the crud out of the corner and use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. That seemed to be enough.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 24, 2011

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm not abusive at all to mine, but my kindle has never had problems. That being said, for $139 WiFi only I don't think "durable" is the first thing i would think of with a Kindle.

$140 is a significant enough amount that I would expect a bit more. If it was $49.99, okay, maybe. But I wouldn't accept my Nintendo DS or my cell phone having these kinds of issues, and they were similarly priced. Still, use a case and ppl will be fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

commish posted:

$140 is a significant enough amount that I would expect a bit more. If it was $49.99, okay, maybe. But I wouldn't accept my Nintendo DS or my cell phone having these kinds of issues, and they were similarly priced. Still, use a case and ppl will be fine.

I'm quite sure if you drop heavy things on a DS or cell phone by accident you'd get cracked screens and such there too!Perhaps less the DS since eboth screens are "inside" when its shut.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

trandorian posted:

I'm quite sure if you drop heavy things on a DS or cell phone by accident you'd get cracked screens and such there too!Perhaps less the DS since eboth screens are "inside" when its shut.
Other than the fact the screen is much bigger, I'd say the kindle is no more or less prone to damage than a DS or a cell phone.

As I said, I really haven't treated mine very nicely and I've dropped it a few times on concrete among other "misuses". I think what did it in was I had it sitting on the sofa next to me and the dog managed to dent the screen with one of her claws. We're talking a 50 pound boxer, and she jumped up trying to get my attention (not allowed, but she's still a puppy).

I'm still not sure that I'll buy a case for my next one, though I will be a little more careful. I really like the size and form factor when it's out of a case.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A Fistful of Owls posted:

I love my Nook Color (especially because I got it at a 20% discount through my job) but I do envy the Amazon customer service. B&N's is wrapped up in a lot of layers of dumb bullshit and the fact that most stores aren't allowed to do returns even for people that bought extended warranties really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If you do get an in store replacement after the first 14 days, it's either a refurb (only available at certain stores!) or the manager is most definitely breaking the rules.
Just to clarify this, it should be 30 days to get a new replacement, as long as it's covered by the basic warranty (not dropped or something). That's the official policy.

I see what you're saying though, the return process has gotten more convoluted. And unfortunately, the level of customer service and knowledge from store to store can vary. I don't know if you were speaking from personal experience or what, but it sounds like you may have just gotten a less involved approach, some people may just try to shove you off onto phone support, but most should be able to take care of the majority of the replacement process for you if you bring it in. The store has an internal Nook support number they can use for stuff like that.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Doghouse posted:

Are there any big eReaders that are either out now or coming soon that can handle different text layouts? Like let's say you had a main text on the page surrounded by commentaries on the sides and bottom. Or a main text with footnotes on the bottom.

I don't think this is really possible, as one of the underlying features of ereaders is the ability to change font size on the fly, and still have it reflow properly. I think it might also be more of a format issue than anything - as far as I know, none of the standard formats used for ebooks (minus PDF) have the ability to do non-standard text display like that. The way they currently handle it is by having footnotes and whatnot at the end of the file, with in-text links to each individual note.

The only way I can think of handling this would be to implement some sort of framing feature into a format, whereby you can have a main text frame that can be resized and reflows appropriately, and then in another section (such as underneath the main frame), you can have footnotes. The format and whatever device displaying it would have to be able to adjust framing on the fly, so that if a page has no footnotes, there won't be a bunch of empty space on the bottom, and if there is a large footnote, it will be able to reduce the main frame to make room for it.

I doubt anything like this will be developed, though. There aren't really enough books with such things to justify it. Although, something I can see Amazon doing is sort of utilising their current dictionary function for footnotes, so that when selected, the footnote pops up at the bottom of the screen, and if it's too large it can be navigated to with one button.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Asclepius posted:

I don't think this is really possible...

Possible is not the word you are looking for. It is certainly possible.

Asclepius posted:

The only way I can think of handling this would be to implement some sort of framing feature into a format, whereby you can have a main text frame that can be resized and reflows appropriately, and then in another section (such as underneath the main frame), you can have footnotes. The format and whatever device displaying it would have to be able to adjust framing on the fly, so that if a page has no footnotes, there won't be a bunch of empty space on the bottom, and if there is a large footnote, it will be able to reduce the main frame to make room for it.

Not sure why having more limited font sizes would be a huge problem. I never had a problem where I opened a book and said "drat I hate this font" or "drat I wish this was bigger." Also I'm not sure what the problem would be with having certain sections of the screen dedicated to the main text, in which you could adjust text at will, and other sections of the screen dedicated to the other parts - notes, commentaries, etc.

Asclepius posted:

I doubt anything like this will be developed, though. There aren't really enough books with such things to justify it.

Yeah this could be true, I'm not really in touch with the trends in current culture to know. But what about textbooks with different sections, sidebars, etc? I could see a market for eReaders dedicated to textbooks, with bigger screens and so on.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Doghouse posted:

Possible is not the word you are looking for. It is certainly possible.

Yeah, I meant moreso currently, as I think the framing idea is a perfectly workable solution, and there are probably others for creative minds to come up with.

Doghouse posted:

Not sure why having more limited font sizes would be a huge problem. I never had a problem where I opened a book and said "drat I hate this font" or "drat I wish this was bigger."

In all the paper books I've read, I don't think I ever had that problem, either. However, one of the things I really like about ebooks is the potential for consistency. You get a font you like, one that is easy on the eyes, and you get to use it for basically every single book. For me it makes the experience much more enjoyable. It's really jarring when you end up getting a lovely Topaz formatted book, for instance. Of course, none of that would be compromised by the framing idea, and I'm sure maintaining that sort of customisation would be a priority for any other solution, as well.

To be honest, I really would like to see better implementation of this sort of thing. It wouldn't be necessary in most fiction, but I like the idea of annotated novels that give further insight to the writing process or the world and such. And I completely agree that someone needs to figure out how the hell to do e-textbooks properly.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
the real problem is that the publishers do whatever they want and there isnt any kind of real standard for ebook formatting

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

denizen posted:

the real problem is that the publishers do whatever they want and there isnt any kind of real standard for ebook formatting

Mostly they don't care and they want you to buy a hard copy anyway.

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007
Details on the new Sony PRS-T1 have been published on a dutch website.

In short: capacitive touch screen, microSD up to 32gb, customisable fonts, image of book cover in stand-by, WiFi, supports Wikipedia and Google search. The cover now is plastic reducing the weight to 168gr. Price is 165 euro.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking at buying my first Ereader, and at the moment I've got the Kindle and the Kobo in mind. The Kobo Wireless is £80 compared to £115 for the Kindle, and money is tight so that £35 does make a difference.

I don't need it to do anything too fancy, and I don't care about 3G, so is the Kobo a decent buy? For just plain old reading e-books, is there that much of a difference between the two?

I hear that Amazon has really good customer service, but as I currently live in Thailand (I will be having it delivered to a relative back in the UK who is coming to visit soon) I probably wouldn't be able to easily take advantage of that if anything were to break.

So, the Kobo? Decent or not?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bardeh posted:

I'm looking at buying my first Ereader, and at the moment I've got the Kindle and the Kobo in mind. The Kobo Wireless is £80 compared to £115 for the Kindle, and money is tight so that £35 does make a difference.

I don't need it to do anything too fancy, and I don't care about 3G, so is the Kobo a decent buy? For just plain old reading e-books, is there that much of a difference between the two?

I hear that Amazon has really good customer service, but as I currently live in Thailand (I will be having it delivered to a relative back in the UK who is coming to visit soon) I probably wouldn't be able to easily take advantage of that if anything were to break.

I know you seem pretty set on the Kobo...but you can buy a wi-fi Kindle and have it direct shipped to Thailand from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y8Q?country=TH

Although

quote:

Your international shipment is subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country. We will show you these fees upon checkout.

but if the shipping/fees are under $46.56, it would be the same thing has getting a UK one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 29, 2011

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have looked at shipping one from Amazon to Thailand, but I'm not sure how much I trust the Thai postal service. Some friends have had stuff sent no problem, others have ended up waiting weeks for packages, at least one just never came.

In terms of just reading an e-book on each device, what does the Kindle do better than the Kobo? Both have eink displays and good battery life, and on video reviews they don't look appreciably different. However, almost everyone in this thread either owns a Nook or a Kindle - is there a reason the Kobo isn't as popular?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kobo never had a big marketing push. Amazon and BN put a lot of support behind their ereaders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bardeh posted:

I have looked at shipping one from Amazon to Thailand, but I'm not sure how much I trust the Thai postal service. Some friends have had stuff sent no problem, others have ended up waiting weeks for packages, at least one just never came.

In terms of just reading an e-book on each device, what does the Kindle do better than the Kobo? Both have eink displays and good battery life, and on video reviews they don't look appreciably different. However, almost everyone in this thread either owns a Nook or a Kindle - is there a reason the Kobo isn't as popular?

Amazon will honor a warranty in Thailand, I doubt Kobo will. The Kindle has a better screen and better build quality and better book selection. You're talking about it being much cheaper than the Kindle so you'd have to be describing the older Kobo and not the touch. The control for the Kobo is also supposed to be more annoying to deal with for what it's worth.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

If you are looking at the original
Kobo don't get it. Seriously, controls alone are infuriating, and the screen and battery life are noticeably meh. I would get the kindle.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Bardeh posted:

I got my Kindle shipped to Japan when I bought it, and when I needed it replaced, they told me that because of that they would ship the replacement here for free. I assume if your Kindle is shipped to the UK then you will need to pay shipping if it needs to be replaced, but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll go for the kindle. I've been starved of good books for ages now, I can't wait!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
B&N put some more sample books on my Nook over the weekend. First time since I'd bought it a month and a half ago. I know I can login to their site to delete it from there, and that removed them. But is there a way so that it doesn't happen again in the future? I can't find a place to do that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a cross post.

Amazon's Kindle deal of the day is Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron

$1.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003JBFCFA

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Thanks for the heads up! I just finished Sophie's Choice recently (which was fantastic), and after reading up a bit more on Styron this sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Just wanted to say that if you get a refurb Kindle or possibly even a new one, your Kindle will be delivered with the 3.2.1 firmware, which is the new firmware that's on the special offers Kindle and technically doesn't have a jailbreak.

However, there is a workaround. It does work, but if you have the Kindle without special offers, you need the firmware update from here. Basically, the update he provides at that link is only for the special offer Kindle and will always fail when applied to the non-special offer one. Since the jailbreak is based on timing and will fail if your timing is off, it took me forever to figure that out.

I ended up just trying the old firmware with the new trick ... and was stunned that it actually worked. The first time no less, but I was using the perl script on that page to upload the file as fast as possible.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I just added a bunch of books to my Kindle, and the fact that they're all tagged "new" is bothering me. Any way to get those to go away without individually opening each book?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
The new tag goes away after a period of time. 24 hours? Something like that.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dick Smith Electronics, the biggest electronic outlet in Australia has just started selling Kindles at their stores. Check out the loving mark-up: http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A3455/kindle-3g-wi-fi-6-quot-e-reader

$219 for the 3g, that's about $235 US. Who the hell is going to buy this? It's an Amazon product. The first thing you see when you go to Amazon is the Kindles for sale. It's not like Australians can't buy from Amazon. I bought my Kindle there and it got to me in 4 days.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The new tag goes away after a period of time. 24 hours? Something like that.

So they did!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Save some money in the Kindle Store:

100 Kindle Books for $3.99 or less - Maybe not the greatest selection, but some of the selections look interesting.

18 books by Kurt Vonnegut for $3.99 each - Ahh, that's better.

Is it just me, or does Amazon do a piss-poor job of advertising their ebook sales on the Kindle Store main page?

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 1, 2011

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
His stuff seems to be somewhat reduced on the UK store currently too. I've never read any Kurt Vonnegut, what would be a good starter book?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

chippy posted:

His stuff seems to be somewhat reduced on the UK store currently too. I've never read any Kurt Vonnegut, what would be a good starter book?

Slaughterhouse-Five is his best work, I'd say. Vonnegut is fantastic though, and you really can't go wrong.

Here are the grades he gave his own stuff:
Player Piano: B
The Sirens of Titan: A
Mother Night: A
Cat's Cradle: A-plus
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
Breakfast of Champions: C
Slapstick: D
Jailbird: A
Palm Sunday: C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

chippy posted:

I see you've already discovered the Vonnegut thread -- it's only 5 pages, so its a quick read, and there is a lot of good advice there.

It seems that many folks recommend against starting with Slaughterhouse-Five, due to poor Billy Pilgrim becoming unstuck in time and the narrative jumping all over the place. I personally never found it terribly difficult to keep up with, and S-F is my favourite of Vonnegut's books. Cat's Cradle is another good choice to start with.

As maduin said, it's tough to go wrong, especially at just a few bucks per.