Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Making sculptures out of floral foam with lego, sort of like a 3D printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1cO2XhMrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1cO2XhMrg

The only non-lego element is the drill.

I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Its a vertical mill, not a 3d printer. Mills are subtractive, a printer is additive.

Still cool as hell. I wonder if he got the mindstorm to be able to interpret standard G-Code.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Impressive that he got a lego set to do that, but painfully slow compared to regular mills tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVr89FO_FE

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

That video is time lapsed. I can't tell if he was cutting aluminum or steel, but even cutting it out of aluminum, that was at least as much mill time as the lego cutter.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is the Facebook Legoons group still active? I sent a request a while ago but never got a reply.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
People who make crazy stuff like that drill out of lego really make me realize just how much of an amateur I was with the things.
I don't have my collection anymore, I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread but I gave my whole collection (prolly about $300.00 worth, really) to some kids who loved playing with them when I was 16. I hadn't messed around with them for years... The look on their faces when they saw how much they were getting made it completely worth it.

preacher moves
Apr 29, 2011

Torael_7 posted:

My girlfriend unironically offered to float me the money for a $7500 lego collection off craigslist. The only thing that stopped me, the only thing, was that we're about to get an apartment and wouldn't even come close to having the space.

I'm not sure if I'm going to regret passing that up for months to come or not...

Trust me, you will loving regret that. My friend actually found a similar deal on craigslist a few weeks back. It was about twice that size of a collection for $10000. He actually ended up mortgaging his house to get the money but it was so loving worth it. He's built some really cool poo poo, like "Chateau de Golden Manbabies", a huge mansion that spans his entire bathroom and like half of his living room, I wish I had pics. Also some legend of zelda sprites that make some cool decorations, they're on my mantel right now. He's even managed to fix the brake pedal of his old beater somehow using the drat things. We're trying to figure out the lego robotics thing so we can get a lego bagel slicer going too (he broke his old one and can't really afford a new one right now). I'd say it was well worth it.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

preacher moves posted:

Trust me, you will loving regret that. My friend actually found a similar deal on craigslist a few weeks back. It was about twice that size of a collection for $10000. He actually ended up mortgaging his house to get the money but it was so loving worth it. He's built some really cool poo poo, like "Chateau de Golden Manbabies", a huge mansion that spans his entire bathroom and like half of his living room, I wish I had pics. Also some legend of zelda sprites that make some cool decorations, they're on my mantel right now. He's even managed to fix the brake pedal of his old beater somehow using the drat things. We're trying to figure out the lego robotics thing so we can get a lego bagel slicer going too (he broke his old one and can't really afford a new one right now). I'd say it was well worth it.

I sense great tragedy beneath the skin of this post.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

preacher moves posted:

Again, no storage space for it, even if I were to sell half of it off or something. Can't regret what I can't change. :)

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So I found a chromed 2x4 gold brick in a collection I picked up. The only thing I can find is keychains off of bricklink, but it doesn't appear to have been broken off of one.

It's definitely a lego brick so I'm not sure what to think.

E: Cancel last, I found where it came from.

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 23, 2011

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

CADPAT posted:

So I found a chromed 2x4 gold brick in a collection I picked up. The only thing I can find is keychains off of bricklink, but it doesn't appear to have been broken off of one.

It's definitely a lego brick so I'm not sure what to think.

Back in 2005, LEGO was giving away 5 gold bricks with a $50 purchase as part of their 50th anniversary celebration. The promotion was only available at official LEGO brand stores, but the bricks have circulated pretty well since then.

You can pick them up for about 40 cents each on bricklink nowadays.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to make the LEGO log pieces fit horizontally rather than vertically? I could have sworn I saw a method, but I can't find it now.

I guess these were made for fort walls, but they'd be great for a log cabin.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Anyone know how to make the LEGO log pieces fit horizontally rather than vertically? I could have sworn I saw a method, but I can't find it now.

I guess these were made for fort walls, but they'd be great for a log cabin.

5 plates = 2 studs.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Baggins posted:

5 plates = 2 studs.

Hey speaking of things like this, I remember a long time ago someone mentioning one or more flickr accounts (I think it was flickr anyway) that was basically a repository of all kinds of neat building techniques some guy used. Anyone have the link?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I think it was this one. I had it open in a tab for like 3 months but recently got rid of it because I never used it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaye-lego/3628510802/in/pool-788191@N24/

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Torael_7 posted:

Hey speaking of things like this, I remember a long time ago someone mentioning one or more flickr accounts (I think it was flickr anyway) that was basically a repository of all kinds of neat building techniques some guy used. Anyone have the link?

This is the Lego Techniques group. Lots of good stuff in here.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/788191@N24/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Haha, I like the new title. Very appropriate since I'm strapped for cash and still bought two of Buzz's Command Ship on clearance for half price at Fred Meyer/Smith's yesterday.

\/\/\/It's one of those sorta-flexible technic hoses cut to size, like this: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x467c12

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 23, 2011

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
Anyone able to identify the piece holding the wheel of the wheelbarrow in this shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bricktrix/5955430228/in/set-72157626190876621

I think I've gone through the most likely possibilities in bricklink, but no go.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
Piece 4223247

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Wheezer posted:

Piece 4223247

Thanks. That's quite a good use of it tbh.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I don't have the strenght to search this megathread, so I'll just ask you if you ever heard of Mechaton?

It's a pretty rocking little wargame that utilizes Legos to build fighty robots. Best part is that you need very few Legos to participate, as the scale is so small. Check Mechatonic for pics'n stuff.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just bought the Alien Conquest tripod, and I'm loving the eyeball piece. I wish I had more and/or they were available in cheaper sets. Might be the first piece(s) I'm going to buy seperately.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

VacuumJockey posted:

I don't have the strenght to search this megathread, so I'll just ask you if you ever heard of Mechaton?

It's a pretty rocking little wargame that utilizes Legos to build fighty robots. Best part is that you need very few Legos to participate, as the scale is so small. Check Mechatonic for pics'n stuff.

Is this the one that uses red dice, green dice, and blue dice for mech stats, or is this another game? I could've sworn I've seen a mechaton lego wargame, but it was free at the time.

Also, Brik Wars is awesome and I recommend that LEGO war game. :allears:

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib
Was on ebay last night after reading the recent posts and saw someone who just posted up a NXT 2.0 full set - theres a bidding war on one at the moment currently running at about £68 as of last night with 6 days left to go and this one was £50 on buy it now.

Purchased.

God I hope its as good as it looks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Baggins posted:

5 plates = 2 studs.

I'm having a real difficult time visualizing how that will work on a log cabin, but I will try it - thanks.

Taeke posted:

I just bought the Alien Conquest tripod, and I'm loving the eyeball piece. I wish I had more and/or they were available in cheaper sets. Might be the first piece(s) I'm going to buy seperately.

Do you mean the laser ball socket thingy?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm having a real difficult time visualizing how that will work on a log cabin, but I will try it - thanks.

Here's how I did it:

You should see how that works. 1 brick and 2 plates on the vertical to align studs. Use the 5=2 to figure out how long your wall will be and you should be golden. You can't get the studs on the end to fit into a socket unless you use techniques I don't know, so the walls will be flimsy if you don't shore them up some other way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do you mean the laser ball socket thingy?

Yeah, I'm just calling it the eyeball because that's what sprung to mind when I first saw it.

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib
mindstorm NXT just arrived with bonus projects book. £50 well spent! Now for robot fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just found these guys in a bag at home! With a couple of exceptions, the helmets are all the first type. Neat. :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They all look in such great condition, with no teeth marks! What's going on here?!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I just found these guys in a bag at home! With a couple of exceptions, the helmets are all the first type. Neat. :)

Holy poo poo.

I am all in favor of playing with toys, with kids if possible, because that is why toys exist. For the love of all that is good and sane, though, take the best example of each color, buy a mint black suit off of Bricklink, and put those awesome little dudes on a high shelf.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sexual Lorax posted:

Holy poo poo.

I am all in favor of playing with toys, with kids if possible, because that is why toys exist. For the love of all that is good and sane, though, take the best example of each color, buy a mint black suit off of Bricklink, and put those awesome little dudes on a high shelf.

Is there something particularly special or rare about these spacemen? From what I can see on Bricklink there are plenty of them around, a good deal in perfectly decent condition. I think we have a bunch in a box in the attic, might have a dig when I'm next at my Dads place.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

Is there something particularly special or rare about these spacemen? From what I can see on Bricklink there are plenty of them around, a good deal in perfectly decent condition. I think we have a bunch in a box in the attic, might have a dig when I'm next at my Dads place.

It's just that they're old, and the gold paint on the front of them is in remarkably good shape for their age.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Newest philly brikwars battle is up, god I love this game.
http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7785

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just got a Bricklink order for a 7674-1... in Sweden.

I've never shipped internationally before, where do I start?
Is the USPS the cheapest?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Apparently a list of five Lego exclusives for 2012 was accidentally released by a Dutch toy store, and Lego has spent most of today scouring various blogs and sites of the information. Not completely succeeding, though, of course.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Xenophon posted:

Apparently a list of five Lego exclusives for 2012 was accidentally released by a Dutch toy store, and Lego has spent most of today scouring various blogs and sites of the information. Not completely succeeding, though, of course.

Well go on then?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Well I didn't want Lego hassling SA's mods, but it should be fine if they don't have the set # (all of which were five digits, starting with 10, like the other exclusives):

Kingdoms Joust
Town Hall
R2-D2
Sopwith Camel
B-Wing

Sopwith Camel sounds dreamy...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Oooh, I bet Town Hall is the next modular town set.

Google Images shows us that this is a Sopwith Camel:

R2-D2 must be another large Technic set or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

dirtycajun posted:

Newest philly brikwars battle is up, god I love this game.
http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7785

I'm a huge Warhammer/Warmachine nerd and these pictures gave me a nerd boner. I've never seen pictures of what a Brikwars game looked like until now and it's just as I pictured.