Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So behind the shroud have all the reserve clans started their waves or are they just being used as garrison forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Chicken Slayer posted:

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

These characters in the Combine mechs are, according to this novel I found, currently 10 years old or so, having undertaken some sort of combat jump in the year 3056 in the original timeline.

Sorry Poptarts, this LP is over for me. Sense of immersion ruined.

K-F drive misjumps can cause time travel. Obviously they came from 3050, which is why mercenaries have a GECM-equipped machine.

quote:

EDIT: Oh, yeah, game. Ummm, at this point I would recommend taking the mechs on without rushing them. Unless I'm forgetting something, infantry usually have short range, so avoid bum rushing the mechs and getting mobbed by 3 teams of Ninjas, plus the Boss Ninja.

PTN said Vost Lance is really aggressive, but the DEST are professional operators. Assume they will try to get you guys stuck deep in forest where you will find it difficult to move, get right up next to you, and then leg/swarm you.

So, um. AVOID DIFFICULT TERRAIN. That's ambush territory.

Assuming DEST are, in fact, professional special forces operators, they'll avoid open terrain like the plague unless absolutely necessary, which means if you skirt forests you should be mostly fine.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Of course, with the map being chock full of forests... :ninja:
I expect that somebody is going to get murdered by Ninjas before this is over.

Other than that, the Panther has to die. It's got the biggest gun on the IS side (in fact, 10 damage from that PPC will cause instant internal damage on just about anything on the Clan side) and a Gunnery 2 pilot. It's also a comparatively easy target, being the slowest Mech on the field.

Magni fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 24, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So behind the shroud have all the reserve clans started their waves or are they just being used as garrison forces?

That is the question, isn't it? Or maybe it's something else entirely.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I did not realize that this DCMS force consisted of the Far Country people last night. Now I am truly torn between my hatred of the clans and anything related to bird aliens.

Can I root for the Hell's Horses to arrive, immediately declare both parties dezgra, and obliterate them from orbit?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
gently caress Comstar for shrouding things up :( But I reckon Old Man Siedman convinced Ilkhan Siedman to call in the reserves.

MJ12 posted:

So, um. AVOID DIFFICULT TERRAIN. That's ambush territory.

Assuming DEST are, in fact, professional special forces operators, they'll avoid open terrain like the plague unless absolutely necessary, which means if you skirt forests you should be mostly fine.

DEST forces are invisible until they attack so its not 100% sure that they'll stick to forests. If they can lay in wait in the open and get you with a good volley they'll loving murder you and a dead mech is worth sacrificing a platoon of infantry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

Piranha pilots! If one of you doesn't finish an enemy mech by shoving your fist into a broken piece of armor and letting loose with all those guns I will be disappointed. :black101:

The Piranha's machineguns are torso-mounted.

MJ12 posted:

A-Pods are bad

The only Battlemech weapon that can kill infantry at range 0 are not 'bad.' For any other range infantry target, the Kit Fox has small pulse lasers. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KnoxZone posted:

I did not realize that this DCMS force consisted of the Far Country people last night. Now I am truly torn between my hatred of the clans and anything related to bird aliens.

Can I root for the Hell's Horses to arrive, immediately declare both parties dezgra, and obliterate them from orbit?

Well, you can root for it, sure. I just wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only Battlemech weapon that can kill infantry at range 0 are not 'bad.' For any other range infantry target, the Kit Fox has small pulse lasers. :colbert:
Nevermind the 12 infantry death machines on each piranha.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

Nevermind the 12 infantry death machines on each piranha.

Cannot kill infantry who are standing in the same hex (range 0). Infantry, on the other hand, can kill those Piranha but good at that range.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Getting To Know Your Freebirth Enemy

code:
Mech: Panther PNT-9R
IS Level 1
Weight: 35 tons
Speed: 4/6/4
Heat Sinks: 13 Single
Armor: 104 points (6.5 tons standard)
PPC (RA)
SRM-4 (CT) (25 shots-LT)

With only a 140 Standard Engine, the Panther is abominably slow as far as light mechs are concerned. It does, however, have a lot of armor and jumpjets, to help mitigate this problem.

It also has a PPC.

These mechs are really popular for their ability to poke holes in the enemy with the PPC at a safe range, before moving in to exploit any chinks with the SRM launcher. Not a threat against a trueborn of Clan Sea Fox, but it might be capable of besting one of your dezgra second line units.

code:
Mech: Javelin JVN-10N
IS Level 1
Weight: 35 tons
Speed: 6/9/6
Heat Sinks: 10 Single
Armor: 64 points (4 tons standard)
SRM-6 (RT) (15 shots-RT)
SRM-6 (LT) (15 shots-LT)

While being a fairly mobile light mech with tremendous short ranged firepower (for barbarians), the Javelin suffers from having no ranged firepower and little protection. Let the spirit of Karen Nagasawa guide your shots, and victory shall be yours!

code:
 Mech: Phoenix Hawk PXH-2
IS Level 2
Weight: 45 tons
Armor: 136 points (8.5 tons standard)
Large Laser (RA)
Medium Laser (RA)
Medium laser (LA)
Guardian ECM (CT)

An original Star League design, this mech differs from the inferior versions seen in the barbarians touman by including an ECM Suite in the place of the machine guns. It is also more heavily armored. A solid mech that was the base for the wildly popular Phoenix Hawk IIC.

code:
Locust LCT-3V
IS Level 1
Weight: 20 tons
Speed: 8/12/0
Armor 56 points (3.5 tons standard)
2 Medium Laser (CT)
Machine Gun (LA) (100 shots-RT)
Machine Gun (RA) (100 shots-RT)

A typical barbarian scout mech. With no armor and paltry weapons, it cannot be expected to participate in a real battle between mechs. It is no Fire Moth. Either destroy it or ignore it at your discretion.

code:
Dezgra Infantry
Worthless dezgra that shall die without fail.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

the wildly popular Phoenix Hawk IIC.

:stare: :shepface: :shepicide: The ugliest mech, with the worst loadout (for an assault). Why do you hurt me so, Knox?

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cannot kill infantry who are standing in the same hex (range 0). Infantry, on the other hand, can kill those Piranha but good at that range.
I mentioned them in reference to the small pulse laser, even if they have half the range.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

:stare: :shepface: :shepicide: The ugliest mech, with the worst loadout (for an assault). Why do you hurt me so, Knox?

Do you really think it is worse than a Charger?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

KnoxZone posted:

Getting to know your Freebirth enemy

code:
 Mech: Phoenix Hawk PXH-2
IS Level 2
Weight: 45 tons
Armor: 136 points (8.5 tons standard)
Large Laser (RA)
Medium Laser (RA)
Medium laser (LA)
Guardian ECM (CT)

An original Star League design, this mech differs from the inferior versions seen in the barbarians touman by including an ECM Suite in the place of the machine guns. It is also more heavily armored. A solid mech that was the base for the wildly popular Phoenix Hawk IIC.

So, am I the only one saddened to learn that this thing isn't full of tiny missiles?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

landcollector posted:

Do you really think it is worse than a Charger?

Nothing is worse than a Charger.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Nothing is worse than a Charger.

PTN is going to give the Steel Vipers a Charger IIC. It will probably be the greatest mech ever.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Shoddy, half-assed tactical analysis dashed off before going to work:

The wooded terrain largely negates our range advantage. We can work around this by getting to higher ground. The Kit Fox and Jackrabbit should be able to plunk away for a turn or two from the SE corner in relative safety. Piranhas, I'd advise sitting tight (but not sitting still) until they get closer or those invisible ninjas show themselves. Invisible ninjas should be hosed up at the earliest possible opportunity.

Aside from the invisible ninjas, the Panther is our biggest worry. He's a crack shot and that PPC will penetrate anywhere on the Piranhas, and most anywhere on the Jenner and Jackrabbit. Luckily, he's slow and we should be able to dictate range and LOS.

Keep in mind that we are all light mechs, and any one of us could go down to a round of massed fire. Charging off alone is suicide even without the threat of invisible ninjas.

Invisible ninjas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

PTN is going to give the Steel Vipers a Charger IIC. It will probably be the greatest mech ever.

That would be Caesar Steiner pulling a wild card. Then he and Colonel Dusk, who he has convinced to defect with his sexing (this is BT, it happens a LOT) escape back to the LC because it was a trick all along.

Positronium
Jan 28, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

That is the question, isn't it? Or maybe it's something else entirely.

Calling alliance of warden clans sabotaging the invasion purely to spite the Vipers.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

drat, but I like this scenario. I've always thought the Kit Fox was one of the weaker Clan lights, due to the fact that it sacrifices so much for so much over-kill weaponry, which is usually wasted on something dumb, like an lbx-5. It looks like PTN's given it an actually sane load-out, though (possibly up-armoured? I can't say for sure without opening up MegaMek). Light mechs can get a lot of mileage out of a single-ton targeting computer.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Quick rules clarifications if you guys don't mind, sorry, these have probably been covered before. Can I move through spaces occupied by friendlies? And if running makes you harder to hit, can I expend my 14 move of running to run round and round the same three hexes, effectively ending up only one hex away from where I started?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

God, I really, really want to play as the cast of Far Country.

Also you guys are in lights so less of a big deal, but the infantry was packing Infernos.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Dolash posted:

Quick rules clarifications if you guys don't mind, sorry, these have probably been covered before. Can I move through spaces occupied by friendlies?

Yes

Dolash posted:

And if running makes you harder to hit, can I expend my 14 move of running to run round and round the same three hexes, effectively ending up only one hex away from where I started?

You can, but remember that it costs 1 movement every time you turn one direction. So you wouldn't be very evasive.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MJ12 posted:

They don't. Streak missiles are unaffected by Guardian ECM, but if targeting an enemy through a bubble of Angel ECM, they roll on the table as standard missiles.

They still, however, will not fire without lock. So don't worry about that.

Huh, I thought I remembered them interfering with streaks, or did they perhaps change that a while back?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

KnoxZone posted:

Yes

You can, but remember that it costs 1 movement every time you turn one direction. So you wouldn't be very evasive.

What's the to-hit penalty for a moving target based on? How much movement the target uses? How many spaces they move across the map? Something else?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

possibly up-armoured?

No 'possibly' about it. The standard Kit Fox has 4 tons of armor (aka: just enough to let it soak a medium laser hit). The LP version has 5.5, costs almost a million c-bills less, has a higher battle value (1311 vs 1085); and is far more capable of its intended role.

Then again, that doesn't take much: the standard Kit Fox is a scout that is goddamned terrible at its job.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Dolash posted:

What's the to-hit penalty for a moving target based on? How much movement the target uses? How many spaces they move across the map? Something else?

How many hexes the target moves. 0-2 is a +0, 3-4 is a +1, 5-6 is a +2, 7-9 is a +3, 10-17 is a +4.

On a map with this many terrain hazards, (forests, hills, etc) you will not be able to move at nearly your full speed. Still, you should be able to get the +3 on occasion.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 24, 2011

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dolash posted:

Total hexes the target moved, not MP spent. Combining backward and forward movement restarts the count, so you can't do the hokey pokey between two hexes and run up a movement modifier.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

^^^^ Unique hexes entered. You can take a step back, turn, and walk forward four and that'll count as moving 5.

LeschNyhan posted:

drat, but I like this scenario. I've always thought the Kit Fox was one of the weaker Clan lights, due to the fact that it sacrifices so much for so much over-kill weaponry, which is usually wasted on something dumb, like an lbx-5. It looks like PTN's given it an actually sane load-out, though (possibly up-armoured? I can't say for sure without opening up MegaMek). Light mechs can get a lot of mileage out of a single-ton targeting computer.

It's got an absolutely brutal loadout for a scout killer.

ER Large Laser, 2xSmall Pulse Laser, Streak SRM-6, 2x A-Pod, Active Probe, ER Small Laser, Targeting Computer.

A second Small Pulse, the Streak upgraded from a 4 to a 6, 2 A-Pods, a probe, an ER Small, and a Targeting Computer just to round things out. All in exchange for an LB-5X (8 tons with ammo)

Class 5 autocannons are just plain terrible. Class 2's are gimmick weapons, 10's a really nice (especially in Level 1 play) and 20's make people run and hide.

The only time a Class 5 is worth it is when it has the letter R in front.

Remember, the Clan ER Large hits just as hard at the PPC but with better range. Slightly worse heat but what do you care? You can sink it a lot better than he can.

Edit: I never understood why the Jenner IIC went with SRM-6s in the wings and not dual ER Mediums. Upgrade the base mediums to ER, Make the SRM-4 a streak, toss in a few more DHS, and you've got a rather brutal harasser.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 24, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Taerkar posted:

^^^^ Unique hexes entered. You can take a step back, turn, and walk forward four and that'll count as moving 5.

Wait, really?

Amending my orders!

Also, when it comes to the movement cost for turning, does it cost 1 movement per facing (so from NW to SE would cost 3) or 1 total for each turn (so from NW to SE would cost just 1)?

Edit: Dibs on 1513.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 24, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Wait, really?

Amending my orders!

Also, when it comes to the movement cost for turning, does it cost 1 movement per facing (so from NW to SE would cost 3) or 1 total for each turn (so from NW to SE would cost just 1)?

1 per hex side. So a 180 costs 3 mp.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
1MP per facing.

As for the Kit Fox, I never really considered it a scout. The canonical Prime is more of a harrasser/skirmisher with it's ground speed and long-range weapons. Basically that annoying little poo poo that keeps running around the battlefield nad taking long-range potshots. (And the A is just one brutal sniper for it's tonnage.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Still managed to pick up seven hexes of movement. Ninjas can't catch you if you run around like a chicken with his head cut off!

Also it's fun.

edit: To be clear, Mary's plan is a good one and I'll be sticking it out in the corner for now too.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 24, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Also, one advantage of jump jets is that while jumping, facing changes cost 0 mp.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Positronium posted:

Calling alliance of warden clans sabotaging the invasion purely to spite the Vipers.

My bet is alliance of warden clans encouraging the invasion while they quietly take over all the crusader clans' stuff. About the point at which the Clan Invasion starts to stall, we'll see the Warden Clans stage a coup and then declare that they're better off without the crusaders anyways - and not let them come home.

Now the crusader Clans have to carve out a home for themselves in the IS, because there's nowhere else for them to go.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My bet is alliance of warden clans encouraging the invasion while they quietly take over all the crusader clans' stuff.

Not really warden, though. Isolationist.

The Ghost Bears, Snow Ravens, and Sea Foxes are all firm Crusaders. Without the old wolves to moderate the other Clans' opinions, there are very few Isolationist Clans. Blood Spirit, Fire Mandrill, and Goliath Scorpion are about it... and the Goliath Scorpions are the only ones who have any 'Warden' sensibilities at all. The Fire Mandrills and the Blood Spirits just want to leave the Inner Sphere alone.

The isolationists just figure it'll burn itself down without Clan intervention.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not really warden, though. Isolationist.

The Ghost Bears, Snow Ravens, and Sea Foxes are all firm Crusaders. Without the old wolves to moderate the other Clans' opinions, there are very few Isolationist Clans. Blood Spirit, Fire Mandrill, and Goliath Scorpion are about it... and the Goliath Scorpions are the only ones who have any 'Warden' sensibilities at all. The Fire Mandrills and the Blood Spirits just want to leave the Inner Sphere alone.

The isolationists just figure it'll burn itself down without Clan intervention.

drat, so my plan to isolate the invading Clans so they're forced to turn to their only bondsman with IS political experience and knowledge which leads inexorable to Inner Khan Caesar Steiner won't work? Woe!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dolash posted:

Still managed to pick up seven hexes of movement. Ninjas can't catch you if you run around like a chicken with his head cut off!

Ninjas also can't catch you if you're on fire.

My recommendation is to make sure you fight all the infantry at the same time so you can take advantage of the inverse ninja law. One ninja is an unstoppable killing machine, but if they all pop out they will be easily dispatched incompetents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dolash posted:

Unless PTN uses the optional rule for surprise point blank shots. (If you run through or end your movement next to a hidden unit, they can immediately give you a full broadside that ignores your movement modifier for the to-hit rolls.)

• Locked thread