Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
I'll be in Paris next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with my family, and we're looking for interesting, non-intensive things to do (traveling with our 2 year old). Our hotel is near the Louvre, and we're just aiming to see the sights, do a boat tour, walk around, etc... We live in France, so this is not a once in a lifetime trip. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
While on the topic of Paris, anyone have hostel recommendations that they personally thought were great there? Gonna be there for a few nights, have considered CSing but will probably hostel it. Any thoughts?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Understeer posted:

I'll be in Paris next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with my family, and we're looking for interesting, non-intensive things to do (traveling with our 2 year old). Our hotel is near the Louvre, and we're just aiming to see the sights, do a boat tour, walk around, etc... We live in France, so this is not a once in a lifetime trip. Any suggestions?

Not exactly interesting, but if the weather is nice you could relax at Paris Plages on the Quais de Seine for a little break. I never tried it (though I live here) so I don't know how well laid out it is.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
For all of you who are in Berlin between friday and sunday you should check out the "Im Rausch mit Freunden"- Festival, it's 15€ and has a rather nice line-up.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=264674473548982

The headliner is "Schluck den Druck" (swallow the pressure)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPaRxRFt70&feature=related

hankor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 17, 2011

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have friends WWOOFing in Turin, Italy. They have plans in two weeks to crisscross through the entire Greek Peninsula and Crete. They have no idea what they're doing, and are very carefree un-planners. How do I tell them no? Should I? They aren't exactly hippies and the WWOOFing has already made them pretty worn out from being apart from civilization.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm going to Europe for 16 days here in September, I was planning on trying to Checkout Berlin and Copenhagen; Originally I was going to try and spend a day or two in paris, but I'm thinking I'll skip it this trip.

Think 16 days is enough time to do 2 cities? I really want to check out the BMW motorcycle factory because I saw a show on it on HDTV and though "gently caress yes, that is loving awesome!" plus I hear Berlin is a hip place in general. Anyone done this. thoughts?

Edit: Oh, Help if I shared why I chose Copenhagen as well. Freaking awesome rainbow colored buildings and the little mermaid! Seriously though, I know nothing about the place other than I saw a picture and though "oh yeah, that looks neat!" This to me is a legitimate reason for a 10 hour plane ride.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 22, 2011

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
This might be the first time this has ever been said in this forum: You could probably fit in one more city on your trip. You should definitely go to Copenhagen, but if you end up staying for a week it's gonna be expensive. Of course, that could be no problem at all to you.

The BMW museum is in Munich, not Berlin though, so maybe spend a few days there? It's too far for a day trip from Berlin, but you wouldn't spend a week in Munich, so a few days to check out the museum and the Olympic area might be cool. Or possibly go to Amsterdam? Lovely place, even if you don't go for the :420:

I went to the BMW museum in Munich last year, and I really enjoyed it. As you would expect they have a shitload of cars, presented in a very nice way, where you can actually get close and have a look at the design and interior. Very cool. They've got bikes and plane engines too. Definitely worth spending some hours in the museum and the show room/building next to it.

In general Copenhagen and Berlin are cool places to visit. You're gonna have a great time.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Copenhagen is a really pretty city with interesting stuff to see, I really recommend it! And like Fiskenbob said in 16 days you could add one more city. I wouldn't go to Paris tho, I think this city is severely overrated and parisiens are generally a pain in rear end, in my opinion at least.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Fiskenbob posted:

Copenhagen, but if you end up staying for a week it's gonna be expensive.

Well, my budget is 300 US funbucks a day, so I'm not exactly rolling in the dough, but I think I can manage a decent time.

I heard someone say Amsterdam ... a big thing I like to do is meet people, Amsterdam is big into cafes and poo poo where I could rub elbows with the locals, right? Or I might just stay in London a while, I have to fly in and out of there anyway, but it's always struck me as "generic big city were everyone coincidentally sounds english" is there any fun to be had in jolly old?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What's this rumor/talk I keep hearing about Holland passing a law that now :420: can't be sold to foreigners in coffee shops, any truth to it?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Ziir posted:

What's this rumor/talk I keep hearing about Holland passing a law that now :420: can't be sold to foreigners in coffee shops, any truth to it?

Nobody really knows what's going to happen. Some mayors and police chiefs have already said they won't uphold it if it ever becomes a law definitively (I think it hasn't been voted on yet, at least not in the senate).

Edit: But everyone coming for the weed should do so sooner rather than later. With this conservative government I can see measures like this actually coming to reality.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EricBauman posted:

Nobody really knows what's going to happen. Some mayors and police chiefs have already said they won't uphold it if it ever becomes a law definitively (I think it hasn't been voted on yet, at least not in the senate).

Edit: But everyone coming for the weed should do so sooner rather than later. With this conservative government I can see measures like this actually coming to reality.

I've also literally heard this exact same thing every six months for the past 6-8 years that they're "just about to ban Germans and Brits from our country."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PadreScout posted:

Well, my budget is 300 US funbucks a day, so I'm not exactly rolling in the dough, but I think I can manage a decent time.

I heard someone say Amsterdam ... a big thing I like to do is meet people, Amsterdam is big into cafes and poo poo where I could rub elbows with the locals, right? Or I might just stay in London a while, I have to fly in and out of there anyway, but it's always struck me as "generic big city were everyone coincidentally sounds english" is there any fun to be had in jolly old?

You're actually closer to Groningen, which during the school year is an easy place to meet people.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Saladman posted:

I've also literally heard this exact same thing every six months for the past 6-8 years that they're "just about to ban Germans and Brits from our country."

Is admitting Germans and British on shaky legal ground in your country? Have they only been admitted since the 1990s? Are many parties seriously against admitting Germans and British in any form?
I think there's a difference. This is actual legislation in the making, right now.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EricBauman posted:

Is admitting Germans and British on shaky legal ground in your country? Have they only been admitted since the 1990s? Are many parties seriously against admitting Germans and British in any form?
I think there's a difference. This is actual legislation in the making, right now.

The anti-weed legislation is particularly directed at Germans, and (to a lesser extent) at Britons. That's why they're first trying to ban foreign weed purchases in all the border towns with Germany before banning it in Amsterdam.

E: To clarify, I've heard the "ban foreign weed purchases" legislation being on the table every six months for the last 5-6 years.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Saladman posted:

E: To clarify, I've heard the "ban foreign weed purchases" legislation being on the table every six months for the last 5-6 years.

Well thanks, cause that wasn't clear at all :)
The upcoming laws are going to be primarily designed to keep German, Belgian and French kids out who make a softdrugs run to a southern bordertown and while they're at it buy a bunch of harddrugs as well.
The thing about the political process is that things do need to come up in cycles. That doesn't make them less likely to happen. Euthanasia for example had the same process of coming into legislature, so did driving 130 instead of 120 km/h where it's possible. It's just how the process works here (in the Netherlands).
The last time "no weed for French teenagers" was around it stuck and got promoted to the point where government is designing the actual laws/rules right now. We'll have to see and wait what they'll propose, but as Eric mentioned, there is a large chance that any new law won't be upheld in Amsterdam anyway.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Saladman posted:

That's why they're first trying to ban foreign weed purchases in all the border towns with Germany before banning it in Amsterdam.

Has this been enacted?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

January 1.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

EricBauman posted:

You know as well as i do that if the current cabinet remains mayors won't have any power over the police soon. So the mayors have no choice in upholding the law since the to be formed national police will take orders directly from the ministry of security and justice.

Saladman posted:

This time we have a cabinet majority for it and concrete plans, all we are waiting for is the advice from the council of state to the goverment. Expect concrete measures to be announced late september (after the budget is presented on the third tuesday of september).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 24, 2011

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

NihilismNow posted:

You know as well as i do that if the current cabinet remains mayors won't have any power over the police soon. So the mayors have no choice in upholding the law since the to be formed national police will take orders directly from the ministry of security and justice.

This time we have a cabinet majority for it and concrete plans, all we are waiting for is the advice from the council of state to the goverment. Expect concrete measures to be announced late september (after the budget is presented on the third tuesday of september).

Also, guess who's the next vp of the Raad van State?
The current (anti-drugs) minister for the Interior.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
So... what would you guys say is your favorite city for parties/going on random youthful adventures? I've saved up a lot of money and am thinking about going to somewhere in Europe next Summer with friends (aged 20-21). We want to stay in a city for one month and then another the next month just experiencing another place/language and drinking our asses off at night. Maybe Barcelona?

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007
One month in a single city might be too much but with 2 months to spare as you said i believe you could do the Iberian Tour on a relaxed pace. Both Portugal and Spain are full of animation during Summer. The languages are also somewhat similar and there is plenty of booze on both sides of the border as well. If you have never been here, it might be worth it.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
A lot of people recommend Berlin—it's full of partying and sightseeing. Even though people here recommend going to less cities versus more, I think staying in Berlin (or anywhere really) for one month would get stale pretty fast. With a completely open two months, I'd suggest doing something like getting a two-city roundtrip ticket (say, fly into Berlin, fly out of Barcelona, or something similar just so you don't have to double back to the same city) and then bumming along and changing locations when you and your friends get bored or want to do something new.

There are budget airlines (Ryanair) where you can snag really cheap one-way flights, but I'd guess you'd have to be careful cause they'll absolutely charge you up the rear end for anything more than a small carry on. Some countries have really cheap rail as well, for example you can get anywhere in Belgium for only 6,50€ no matter if you're traveling 5 km or across the entire country. In Germany you can get something called a happy weekend ticket for something like 40€ or so, it lets you use most all non-highspeed trains and you can share the ticket with I think 5 people. I've seen mentions about last minute student prices for other trains too but I don't know anything about them and I think they differ from country to country.

I wouldn't recommend traveling by train to people going to Europe cause they just suck up so much time, but you've got two months so ymmv.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Two months in Spain could be pricey. You would have all sorts of wacky adventures with two months in the Balkans.

Where the lands of beer and vodka meet...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm going to Berlin and Halle, but my problem is that the magnetic strip on the back for my Visa is pretty much busted. Do most shops, etc use the chip or am I screwed?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm driving from belgium to croatia for outlook festival on tuesday. Because it's a long drive we like to do it in two days. Last year we made a one day stop-over in Bled, Slovenia, and had a nice time. Now I would like to stop a little earlier on.
And I was wondering if any guys here have any experience with any of the following:

München (munich)
Königssee (small lake on the way that I only know of because panhta du prince put a painting of it on the cover of one of his albums).
millstätter see (bigger lake)
Salzburg (might be a bit too "touristy" for our taste).

And wich one is recommended for a day of chilling, before heading south.
Thanks

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Two months in Spain could be pricey. You would have all sorts of wacky adventures with two months in the Balkans.

Where the lands of beer and vodka meet...

If you're not drinking rakija in the Balkans you're doing it wrong.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I had three weeks in the Balkans and there was so much I missed and it was seriously amazing. Thinking of doubling back down there in the next month or so to do more of Croatia. I just wonder how in today's day and age, with the internet, such beautiful places can still be a secret? I went swimming in the Kravice Waterfalls near Mostar and there was just a few people there. No charge to get in, no National Park guide, nothing. You can hike behind those things, through them, under them, in them. We jumped off the top of one of the waterfalls (probably an 8m jump?) a bunch of times and ate at some small restaurant there. Probably my best day so far out of 70 days backpacking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just returned from a hiking vacation in the Ukrainian Carpathian Mountains. If you are interested in an extremely cheap vacation that is still full of stuff (two weeks cost me less than 300 bucks) combined with gorgeous nature and friendly people, just try that region.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

kissekatt posted:

I'm going to Berlin and Halle, but my problem is that the magnetic strip on the back for my Visa is pretty much busted. Do most shops, etc use the chip or am I screwed?

Does that magnetic strip ever get used actually? I don't think you should worry too much unless you want to get some money from the ATM with that credit card.

I myself am travelling to London for a small week in september next week. Aside the usual museums and sights, does anyone have any other tips? I'll be staying in Shepherd's Bush in a hostel with my girlfriend there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fragrag posted:

Does that magnetic strip ever get used actually? I don't think you should worry too much unless you want to get some money from the ATM with that credit card.

Cashpoints use the chip too, the only places where the magnet thingie is used are old-rear end small shops without chip readers, no?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I'm planning a trip to Barcelona later this November. I've done my fair share of traveling (been to West Africa, SE Asia), although this will be the first time by myself.

I've lived in pretty "hood" areas of LA and SF in my life and I consider myself pretty street smart. With that said, I know I'm gonna be in a foreign country. I've gotten into photography in the last year or so and I obviously would love to take photos of my trip. Would taking a DSLR out in public be stupid? Will I immediately be swarmed by little gypsy kids? (When I got off the plane in Senegal, the first thing I remember is being swarmed by dozens of young men trying to help me with my bag.)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

mA posted:

I'm planning a trip to Barcelona later this November. I've done my fair share of traveling (been to West Africa, SE Asia), although this will be the first time by myself.

I've lived in pretty "hood" areas of LA and SF in my life and I consider myself pretty street smart. With that said, I know I'm gonna be in a foreign country. I've gotten into photography in the last year or so and I obviously would love to take photos of my trip. Would taking a DSLR out in public be stupid? Will I immediately be swarmed by little gypsy kids? (When I got off the plane in Senegal, the first thing I remember is being swarmed by dozens of young men trying to help me with my bag.)

Barcalona is nothing like that, I wandered around a fair bit and never found myself anywhere remotely intimidating. The mix of artists and tourists and locals who don't even see them anymore and just get on with poo poo reminded me a lot of SF. Las Ramblas was the only remotely sketchy area, and that's just mostly pickpockets and scam artists like the Powell/Market cable car stop. Nobody's going to rob you if you're remotely sensible (bag/wallet in front) because there will always be dozens of easier targets within 10 yards of you.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I was in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Ukraine, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Croatia for two months this summer - if anyone has any questions about those countries I'd be more than happy to answer them.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

What do you guys think of Madrid? I am visiting Spain with my sister who is visiting a bunch of places in europe, she has allocated 4 days in madrid and i've heard its not the greatest place, so wondering if that is too long.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Ras Het posted:

Cashpoints use the chip too, the only places where the magnet thingie is used are old-rear end small shops without chip readers, no?

I haven't even seen those magnet thingies anywhere apart from some grocery stores, so yeah.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Hello travel goons! My wife and I are about to take a big trip to Italy and I was hoping to get some insight into a few areas from those of you who have done it before. I have a lot of questions, hope you don't mind!

First, a quick overview of our trip: Our trip will be about 6 weeks total. We are staying and working on 2 farms in Italy - one in Tuscany, one in Sicily. We will be at each farm for 2 weeks. We have given ourselves days between the farms to travel to Florence, Rome, and Venice for a couple days each. We will also see Milano for about a day and a half (when we fly in and when we leave).

Everything is set with the farms we are staying with, but now we are trying to arrange our in-between times to make the most of it. So, some questions!

-We have one big trip, from Rome to Palermo, where we are unsure the best way to go. Our options are a flight, the ferry, or a sleeper train. The flight is cheap and relatively fast, but not particularly interesting. The ferry and train are more interesting but cost more and use more time. The sleeper train also prevents us from having to rent a room that night, though, so the cost is less onerous. Have any of you used the ferry or sleeper train to Sicily?

-Has anyone used a sleeper train at all? How was it?

-Between Florence, Rome, and Venice, if you had 8 days, how would you spend your time - which place is coolest? From what I have read of the thread, I have seen a lot of Rome love, but I thought I would check.

-Any recommendations for hotels, pensiones or hostels in Milan, Rome, or any of the other cities? My wife says we are too old to stay in the group rooms and wants a private room if we do a hostel, I am not sure how set she is on that.

-When a hotel in Italy says that breakfast is included, what does that mean for them? I know what to expect from a hotel here, not as much there.

-Any good restaurant recommendations in Milan, Rome, Florence, or Venice? We will be eating at a few fancy places I am sure, but most of the time we are going to be looking for quality cheap eats where we can get some real Italian fare.

-Rail pass questions:

-Generally, I don't get how the rail pass thing works. If I buy a Eurail Italy pass, does that cover the smaller regional trains AND the high-speed trains?

-Do I then have to pay extra for a reservation on a train? I can't tell if a Eurail pass includes the cost of reserving a spot on the train or if I then have to pay extra to get a specific train. Not sure if I am making sense here.

-If I have a Eurail pass, does that cover a sleeper car as well, or is there an additional cost? Or is there like a "base" level sleeper that is covered by Eurail and then I would pay for upgrades?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I hope I am making sense. I am incredibly excited for this, we have been planning this trip for years now. Thanks for your help!

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I thought this thread is as good as any - does anyone know when I can expect to buy tickets to this football game? I can't see it anywhere.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000263/match=2007647/index.html

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NoArmedMan posted:

I thought this thread is as good as any - does anyone know when I can expect to buy tickets to this football game? I can't see it anywhere.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000263/match=2007647/index.html

try this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Cheers, totally forgot about TRP