Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Other good news: My job interview went quite well and I'll be scheduling a follow-up interview very soon.

I've also finished the loadouts for the Varangian (including the "Widowmaker" variant). You can expect to see that as an AU-TRO entry soon.

Magni posted:

Unless PTN uses the optional rule for surprise point blank shots.

If I was using that rule this mission, I'd have listed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So there's the whole freeborn-trueborn mixing thing going on here. How hard was it for the squad to get their positions, seeing as they don't fit the clan ubermenschen model (although it's funny that the stats are the same), and how big of a snub is it for the star commander to be here instead of somewhere important?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xmas Future posted:

Also, one advantage of jump jets is that while jumping, facing changes cost 0 mp.

Don't know if anyone's covered this, or at least recently, but here's a quick run-down of movement and modifiers:

Your movement modifiers:
Walking: +1
Running: +2
Jumping: +3

Doesn't matter how far, just what type of movement you're using.

Target movement modifiers:
0-2: nada (Don't move 0-2 if you have a choice, it hurts you, not them)
3-4: +1
5-6: +2
7-9: +3
10-16(?): +4

If the target jumped that's an additional +1. VTOLs get this as well.

So basically you want to make sure that any movement modifier you have for your own shooting is at least equal to the modifier that anyone that shoots at you will suffer. Running 4 hexes is a +2 for you but only a +1 for them, which isn't good.

The exceptions are, of course, if it puts you in a preferable arc (Esp. the rear) or puts you in a place where they can't hit you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alternate-Universe 3032 TRO Entry 3

Varangian (Dire Wolf)
Overview:

The Varangian is the largest ‘Mech seen fielded by the Clans. First encountered among the Clan Widowmaker forces in the Rasalhague Prefecture, the Varangian is capable of decimating entire lances of lighter ‘Mechs in a few salvos. A threat at all ranges, the ‘Mech’s only flaw is its relatively low speed. To date, our Blessed Order has recorded no confirmed kills of a Varangian. Engage this unit with extreme caution, but evade it entirely if at all possible.

Capabilities:
The Varangian appears to have fewer variants than some other Clan designs, likely because those variants which do exist seem to excel at all ranges. The variant we have dubbed the ‘Alpha’ is the most commonly fielded. It is extremely versatile and well-rounded for an assault machine. The linchpin of the Alpha’s firepower is a massive Ultra Autocannon 20 mounted in the left arm. This close-range firepower is augmented by a pair of ER PPCs in the right, and a cluster of medium lasers in the torso. Supplementing this firepower is a pair of Streak SRM-6s, and a single LRM-20 provides excellent long-range fire support. Finally, the Alpha mounts a flamer for anti-infantry deterrence.

The Beta variant seems to serve as a direct fire-support design. Appearing commonly only among the forces of Clan Goliath Scorpion, the Beta is capable of leveraging incredible firepower at both long and short range. Its primary armament is a cluster of four ER Large Lasers in the right arm. It also appears to mount enough heat sinks to fire these lasers with minimal heat build-up, provided it remains stationary. Closing against the Beta variant is not recommended, however, as the design packs an LB20-X Autocannon and five medium pulse lasers. Like the Alpha, a Flamer rounds out the Beta’s arsenal and serves adequately as an anti-infantry weapon.

The Gamma variant is far less common, although the Hell’s Horses seem to favor it as a fire-support platform. Mounting a pair of LRM-20s and a Gauss Rifle for long-range fire support, the Gamma has sufficient long-range firepower but likely suffers from ammunition problems. Unfortunately, its secondary armament of three Large Pulse Lasers enables the design to remain in a fight long after its ammunition has been exhausted. Once again, a single Flamer provides the ‘Mech’s only anti-infantry firepower.

The Delta variant of the Varangian is extremely unusual for a Clan design. It has appeared only once to date, among the forces of Clan Steel Viper. Equipped with jump jets for added mobility, the Delta’s entire armament consists of a quartet of Ultra Autocannon 10s. Unlike the other Varangians, this variant also mounts a single ER Small Laser—the only concession it makes to battlefield longevity. The Delta appears to have been designed with urban combat in mind. The Delta appears to have extremely limited ammunition makes it ill-suited to a drawn-out fight.

The final variant of the Varangian has been documented only once, but is worthy of special attention: this variant appears to be piloted by the overall leader of Clan Widowmaker, and may very well be a unique design. Dubbed the “Widowmaker” variant by our analysts, this ‘Mech is an extremely dangerous combatant. The primary armament appears to be a pair of ER PPCs for long-range firepower. This variant mounts a quartet of Large Pulse Lasers as a secondary armament, and appears to have enough heat dissipation to fire nearly its entire armament on the move. As with most of the other variants, the “Widowmaker” also mounts a single flamer.

Deployment:
Most common among the forces of Clan Widowmaker, the Hell’s Horses also make extensive use of the Varangian. It has also appeared among the forces of Clan Goliath Scorpion, albeit in much smaller numbers. Among the invading Clans, only the Steel Vipers appear to disdain this design; apparently preferring lighter and faster designs instead.

Equipment:
Mass: 100 tons
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Walking MP: 3
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Running MP: 5
Jump Jets: 3 (Delta variant only)
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Jumping MP: 3
Armament: 50.5 tons of Pod Space available

Heat Sinks: 15 [30] (minimum)
Armor Factor: 304

Head Structure: 3
Head Armor: 9

Center Torso Structure: 31
Center Torso Armor: 47
Center Torso (Rear) Armor: 14

Left/Right Torso Structure: 21
Left/Right Torso Armor: 32
Left/Right Torso (Rear) Armor: 10

Left/Right Leg Structure: 21
Left/Right Leg Armor: 41

Left/Right Arm Structure: 17
Left/Right Arm Armor: 34

Standard Equipment:
The Varangian appears to mount no standardized equipment, although a head-mounted Flamer appears on nearly every variant.

Alpha Weapons and Ammo:
ER PPC (x2) – Right Arm
Ultra AC/20 – Left Arm
ER Medium Laser (x3) – Right Torso
LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV – Right Torso
Streak SRM-6 (x2) – Left Torso
Flamer – Head
LRM-20 Ammo (x2) – Center Torso
Ultra AC/20 Ammo (x2) – Left Torso
Streak SRM-6 Ammo (x2) – Left Torso
Heat Sink (x3) – Right Arm
Heat Sink – Left Arm
Heat Sink – Right Torso
Heat Sink – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Right Leg
Heat Sink – Left Leg
CASE – Left Torso
CASE – Center Torso

Beta Weapons and Ammo:
ER Large Laser (x4) Right Arm
LB 20-X Autocannon – Left Arm
Medium Pulse Laser – Left Arm
Medium Pulse Laser (x2) – Right Torso
Medium Pulse Laser (x2) – Left Torso
Flamer – Head
LB 20-X AC Ammo (x2) Left Torso
Heat Sink (x3) – Right Arm
Heat Sink – Center Torso
Heat Sink (x4) – Right Torso
Heat Sink (x3) – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Right Leg
Heat Sink – Left Leg
CASE – Left Torso

Gamma Weapons and Ammo:
Large Pulse Laser (x3) – Right Arm
LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV – Left Arm
Gauss Rifle – Right Torso
LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV – Left Torso
Flamer – Head
Gauss Rifle Ammo (x2) – Right Torso
LRM-20 Ammo (x3) – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Right Arm
Heat Sink – Center Torso
Heat Sink – Right Torso
Heat Sink – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Right Leg
Heat Sink – Left Leg
CASE – Right Torso
CASE – Left Torso

Delta Weapons and Ammo:
Ultra AC/10 (x2) – Right Arm
Ultra AC/10 (x2) – Left Arm
Ultra AC/10 Ammo (x2) – Right Torso
Ultra AC/10 Ammo (x2) – Left Torso
ER Small Laser – Head
Jump Jet – Center Torso
Jump Jet – Right Torso
Jump Jet – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Right Torso
Heat Sink – Left Torso
Heat Sink – Left Leg
CASE – Right Torso
CASE – Left Torso

Widowmaker Weapons and Ammo:
ER PPC – Right Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Right Arm
ER PPC – Left Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Left Arm
Large Pulse Laser – Right Torso
Large Pulse Laser – Left Torso
Flamer – Head
Double Heat Sink (x3) – Right Arm
Double Heat Sink (x3) – Left Arm
Double Heat Sink – Center Torso
Double Heat Sink (x4) – Right Torso
Double Heat Sink (x4) – Left Torso
Double Heat Sink – Right Leg
Double Heat Sink – Left Leg

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Murder Mech

I pity whichever player finds themselves facing one of those, especially the Gamma.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I pity whichever player finds themselves facing one of those.

I probably won't ever field one, to be honest. It's kinda a "here there be monsters" design, and intentionally so.

I don't tend to field a lot of assaults in general, since I feel lights, mediums, and heavies are (and should be) more common, especially among Clan forces which tend to prize mobility over firepower.

That said, I do think the Battletech developers were afraid of making the Dire Wolf too powerful. Probably with good reason, 50.5 tons of weapons and equipment is a lot of armament to throw around. Wasting 60% of that armament on AC/2s and AC/5s always made me roll my eyes a bit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 24, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Piranha's machineguns are torso-mounted.

Well drat. I don't supposed bear hugs are a common tactic in the Clans...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Realization that the ninjas can stay invisible until they can shoot you in the back, IN YOUR REAR ARMOR LADDIES. And piranhas have the guns torso mounted. if you take a shot in the back your are gonna die.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

PoptartsNinja posted:

See that map? Want to prevent ambushes / slow down your opponents / give PTN a brain aneurysm?

Light it on fire.

All of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Time to use STEINER RULES combat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I probably won't ever field one, to be honest. It's kinda a "here there be monsters" design, and intentionally so.

Might just be me, but when I think of really nasty Clan heavies, my go-to Clan big one is the Warhawk. I think I owe more game-overs in MechWarrior 2 to Warhawks than any other mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

Well drat. I don't supposed bear hugs are a common tactic in the Clans...

There is only one proper way to pilot a Piranha.

Nevets posted:

Light it on fire.

Is precisely the reason why nobody has flamers.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 24, 2011

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Time to use STEINER RULES combat.

Well, maybe not that, seeing as we're not the Steel Vipers, but the players still don't have any in-game reason not to adhere to clan honor standards for now. I hope they don't forget that. :/

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't tend to field a lot of assaults in general, since I feel lights, mediums, and heavies are (and should be) more common, especially among Clan forces which tend to prize mobility over firepower.

That said, I do think the Battletech developers were afraid of making the Dire Wolf too powerful. Probably with good reason, 50.5 tons of weapons and equipment is a lot of armament to throw around. Wasting 60% of that armament on AC/2s and AC/5s always made me roll my eyes a bit.

One of the best scenarios that I ever played was entitled "Beowulf" in which the GM ran a single Dire Wolf against a dozen Innner Sphere light and medium mechs. We managed to take it out, but it was a near thing and we lost nine mechs in the process.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of the best scenarios that I ever played was entitled "Beowulf" in which the GM ran a single Dire Wolf against a dozen Innner Sphere light and medium mechs. We managed to take it out, but it was a near thing and we lost nine mechs in the process.

That is a scenario I'd been considering, actually.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That is a scenario I'd been considering, actually.

If it were presented, I would vote for this option without hesitation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

W.T. Fits posted:

If it were presented, I would vote for this option without hesitation.

I concur. It'd be awesome. Hey, it might even mark the return of everyone's favorite Star Colonel Grier Seidman. We already know the man likes riding big 'mechs...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

I concur. It'd be awesome. Hey, it might even mark the return of everyone's favorite Star Colonel Grier Seidman. We already know the man likes riding big 'mechs...

...or Khan Natasha Kerensky.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

...or Khan Natasha Kerensky.

I suspect you mean Kerensky also likes the big mechs, and not the far more amusing Seidman-Kerensky version of Mecha Shiva.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Gimmick Account posted:

Well, maybe not that, seeing as we're not the Steel Vipers, but the players still don't have any in-game reason not to adhere to clan honor standards for now. I hope they don't forget that. :/

Hey now, we are not all freebirths here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also I would suggest, if you move but have no targets and have heatsinks to spare, go ahead and target random empty hexes with your (especially) lasers and non-ammo weapons. It costs nothing, and there's a non-zero chance that you might shoot some invisible ninjas.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

But you gave us one mech with jump-jets :smug:

Four of you hold him up and point his feet towards the forest!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Leperflesh posted:

Also I would suggest, if you move but have no targets and have heatsinks to spare, go ahead and target random empty hexes with your (especially) lasers and non-ammo weapons. It costs nothing, and there's a non-zero chance that you might shoot some invisible ninjas.

Oh man, I knew there was some reason I had medium lasers!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

But they don't even know that there are invisible ninjas opposing them, yet!

AAARGH, metagamiiiing~

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

AAARGH, metagamiiiing~

Hey, they know someone's monkeying with their probes. "There might be Assaults over there" is a perfectly good reason to laser some trees.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

AAARGH, metagamiiiing~

Not really. There are possible hostile contacts in a heavily forested area. SOP (imo) would call for the removal of any cover for them to hide in.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

This is where PTN mentions that this world is home to a unique brand of tree that would later prove to be the inspiration for Reflective Armor. Your paltry lasers will do nothing but irritate them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's not on the special rules, it's not a part of the mission.

Laser-reflective objects would be funny, however. Especially if they deflected the laser randomly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cythereal posted:

Might just be me, but when I think of really nasty Clan heavies, my go-to Clan big one is the Warhawk. I think I owe more game-overs in MechWarrior 2 to Warhawks than any other mech.
The Warhawk is evil, but the canon Dire Wolf Widowmaker takes the nastier Warhawk C version and sticks a UAC20 onto it. PTN's version does less outright damage, but at much better range. Clan Large Pulse lasers are in the same range brackets as PPCs.

Clan PPCs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

There is only one proper way to pilot a Piranha.

I was that guy at work today. It would have been much better with a giant mech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

This is where PTN mentions that this world is home to a unique brand of tree that would later prove to be the inspiration for Reflective Armor. Your paltry lasers will do nothing but irritate them.

They're going to be trees that give off horrible corrosive gas that destroys moyemer when burned.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

wiegieman posted:

So there's the whole freeborn-trueborn mixing thing going on here. How hard was it for the squad to get their positions, seeing as they don't fit the clan ubermenschen model (although it's funny that the stats are the same), and how big of a snub is it for the star commander to be here instead of somewhere important?

How far a freeborn warrior can get depends on what Clan they're in, though unless they're Phelan Kell their odds of advancing in rank quickly falls to zero. The Steel Vipers and Smoke Jaguars don't allow any to become warriors, while in the spirit of Falcon-trolling and adhering to the bare minimum of fucks mandated by Clan tradition the Diamond Sharks Sea Foxes will post them anywhere if they prove their merit. If Clan Sea Fox is organized here like they are in the regular timeline the 42nd should be part of Beta Galaxy, which is good even though it isn't Alpha Galaxy, and beats getting posted to a garrison unit fresh out of training. Even if this world is the most rear end-end Periphery backwater imaginable, participating in the invasion of the Inner Sphere is important enough that any foothold is going to be defended with high-end forces and considered more prestigious than being stuck back in Clan space.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So which Mechwarriors are we waiting on right now? Noticed some haven't shown up to claim their spots yet.

Also, all those Varangian models look like heavily armored murder. Would not want to come across any of those, especially not the one driven by Khan Natasha Kerensky...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

So which Mechwarriors are we waiting on right now? Noticed some haven't shown up to claim their spots yet.

I sent my order in last night.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lizurcainnon posted:

I suspect you mean Kerensky also likes the big mechs, and not the far more amusing Seidman-Kerensky version of Mecha Shiva.

Kerensky in a Widomaker-variant Varangian would trash three lances of anything the IS could throw at her. 0/0 pilots in assault mechs armed with Clan large pulse lasers are a nightmare beyond reckoning.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Kerensky in a Widomaker-variant Varangian would trash three lances of anything the IS could throw at her. 0/0 pilots in assault mechs armed with Clan large pulse lasers are a nightmare beyond reckoning.

I would take a company of Phoenix Hawks any day :colbert:

A durable long ranged assault lance might pull it off also.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Two lances of Alacorns. :colbert:

That's 24 gauss rifles, just to extrapolate. And they say tanks are bad.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 25, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

or Lynxes, or Starslayers, or really any well-built IS medium. 12 on 1 is a lot more vicious than you'd think.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

or Lynxes, or Starslayers, or really any well-built IS medium. 12 on 1 is a lot more vicious than you'd think.

Unless the 1 is a Fire Moth D. Nothing is touching that monster.

VVV I should have specified that i meant PTN-verse, which is Level 1 (plus Gauss Rifle) play. With Thunders and pulse and LB/X and all sorts of other fun toys a speedy little monster isn't nearly as scary.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Unless the 1 is a Fire Moth D. Nothing is touching that monster.

Thunder LRM rounds are the key!

• Locked thread