Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Now, real talk, when I get this new air what's the best way to calibrate/get the most out of my battery?
Don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I was probably going to use it until the next major update came out and then sell it to upgrade.

I wouldn't then. I had the same debate when buying my 13" and figured I'd try to do the same thing. Ivy Bridge comes out at the beginning of 2012, promising a huge step up in computing power/energy use, and you can bet dollars to donuts that macs will be getting those processors as soon as they roll into production. The difference between 2012 MBAs and 2011 ones will probably be as pronounced as the one between these and last year's.

I realized:
1) I won't be putting more than 20 GB of new stuff on this drive over the course of a year.
2) If I end up keeping it a bit longer, I won't sweat hosting my media externally. It seems like you're already planning to do that, so ask yourself what sort of software you'd be filling 128 more GB of space with...and whether you'd want to be using it on a 11.6" MBA.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 24, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ivy Bridge comes out at the beginning of 2012, promising a huge step up in computing power/energy use, and you can bet dollars to donuts that macs will be getting those processors as soon as they roll into production. The difference between 2012 MBAs and 2011 ones will probably be as pronounced as the one between these and last year's.
Not really. Ivy Bridge is a tick which generally doesn't bring earth-shattering changes. See: Penryn, and Westmere. You get better energy consumption and slightly higher clocks.

Sandy Bridge was the tock that brought sweeping architectural improvements, like Conroe and Nehalem before it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I believe it's supposed to up the graphics performance, but other than that yeah, it should basically just be a little faster and more efficient. Integrated USB 3 is the other major thing I guess.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That's a year away and may or may not happen though.

I ended up going with the upgraded drive just because I didn't want to worry about any constraints or regrets.

I want to install office, final draft, Diablo 3...I don't want to have to worry about space.

Plus I figure come next year the extra hard drive space isn't going to HURT the resell value...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

That's a year away and may or may not happen though.

I ended up going with the upgraded drive just because I didn't want to worry about any constraints or regrets.

I want to install office, final draft, Diablo 3...I don't want to have to worry about space.

Plus I figure come next year the extra hard drive space isn't going to HURT the resell value...

Always a fair bet, and Diablo 3 looks like it's going to be around 30 gigs, so extra space is always fine.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

japtor posted:

I believe it's supposed to up the graphics performance, but other than that yeah, it should basically just be a little faster and more efficient. Integrated USB 3 is the other major thing I guess.

USB 3.0 comes with the 7-series chipsets. If Apple really wants to not support USB 3.0 (:wtc:) they'll just keep using 6-series chipsets as they are compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs, or ship 7-series-based machines with USB 3.0 disabled.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

USB 3.0 comes with the 7-series chipsets. If Apple really wants to not support USB 3.0 (:wtc:) they'll just keep using 6-series chipsets as they are compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs, or ship 7-series-based machines with USB 3.0 disabled.
Don't give them ideas :argh:

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone else having a serious jones waiting for the damned TB Display to come out already? I preordered weeks ago and sold my 30" already. I need screen size damnit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Before every Apple thread gets derailed, here's a dedicated discussion thread for the Steve Jobs news.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 13" i5 Air. Too bad since I've ordered through Amazon I'll have to wait a considerable amount of time to get it but only paying $955 should make it tolerable. I'm so excited to have a newer Mac that is in almost every way at least twice as good as my current Late 07' White MacBook.

Anyone know have experience using decals on their MacBooks? I'm thinking about grabbing a Bansky one but I want to be sure that it will come off clean if I grow tired of it or want to resell.

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 26, 2011

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
If I wanted to install an SSD on my wife's 2006 Blackbook would I need to find an IDE drive? Or can I use SATA? She's still on leopard as well. I assume I would have to upgrade her to Lion?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SnatchRabbit posted:

If I wanted to install an SSD on my wife's 2006 Blackbook would I need to find an IDE drive? Or can I use SATA? She's still on leopard as well. I assume I would have to upgrade her to Lion?

Pretty sure all the Intel Macs use SATA except the original Macbook Air.

You don't need to upgrade to Lion, unless you want to. You might as well spend $20 and throw 4GB of RAM in the machine, too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SnatchRabbit posted:

All MacBooks since their start use SATA. It'll only be a 1.5 Gb link, though.

If it's a MacBook 1,1 (go look in System Profiler) then it can only be upgraded to 2 GB. If it's a MacBook 2,1 (Late 2006) blaqueBook it can go to 3 GB. Putting in 4 GB will be a waste because only 3.3 GB of the 4 will be recognized by the OS due to limitations of the hardware.

MacBooks couldn't offer 4 GB of RAM until late 2007, when the Santa Rosa based logic boards came out.

Lastly, the very first MacBook1,1 can't run Lion as it had a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 25, 2011

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

SpoonsForThought posted:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 13" i5 Air. Too bad since I've ordered through Amazon I'll have to wait a considerable amount of time to get it but only paying $955 should make it tolerable.
How'd you get that price? Does the amazon card 20% off code work for out of stock items?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Lastly, the very first MacBook1,1 can't run Lion as it had a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo.
And don't try hacking it onto there because some stuff on the internet says it's possible. That only applied to the early dev previews, it's not possible with the release version.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Pretty sure all the Intel Macs use SATA except the original Macbook Air.

You don't need to upgrade to Lion, unless you want to. You might as well spend $20 and throw 4GB of RAM in the machine, too.

I had a Macbook 1,1 and it was indeed SATA 1.5Gbps.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Kilted Yaksman posted:

How'd you get that price? Does the amazon card 20% off code work for out of stock items?

Well it is a bit confusing. Amazon says they are "not in stock" but allowed the order. Earlier Amazon wasn't even an option to order from.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I've just got a new 2nd hand widescreen CRT TV with an RGBHV input.

I'm curious to know whether I'd be able to connect an iPhone 4 to the TV using these two devices:

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC552ZM/B

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/cables/scvm5r.asp

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
In theory that should work. Keep in mind you'd be limited to videos and stuff that works with external displays, i.e. no mirroring like on the iPad 2. What resolutions can the CRT display, 480p and 1080i or just an older 480i one? I have the VGA and HDMI adapters, but I've never tried it on anything other than 720/768p and 1080/1200p displays.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

japtor posted:

In theory that should work. Keep in mind you'd be limited to videos and stuff that works with external displays, i.e. no mirroring like on the iPad 2. What resolutions can the CRT display, 480p and 1080i or just an older 480i one? I have the VGA and HDMI adapters, but I've never tried it on anything other than 720/768p and 1080/1200p displays.

I have no idea what the actual resolution of the tube is but apparently it accepts:

Total scanning line___Effective scanning line___fV(Hz)

1125i_____________1080i________________50/60

720p______________720p________________50/60

625p ______________576p________________50

625i_______________576i_________________50

525p______________480p_________________60

525i_______________480i_________________60

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anyone here used ArcGIS 10 on a solely HD3000-equipped Mac? Wondering what I can expect performance-wise, since ESRI mentions a discrete card as being a requirement.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
I just got my first mac, an 2011 iMac. I would like to max out it's ram. Is there a certain set of ram from Newegg that works better, or is known to work well with it?

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Anyone here used ArcGIS 10 on a solely HD3000-equipped Mac? Wondering what I can expect performance-wise, since ESRI mentions a discrete card as being a requirement.

If I remember correctly I had a friend use it on his White MacBoook with the x3100 integrated graphics.

Based on this blog and some of the comments it seems like it should be fine:
http://spanring.eu/blog/2006/07/02/arcgis-on-mac-os-x-2/

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Profane Obituary! posted:

I just got my first mac, an 2011 iMac. I would like to max out it's ram. Is there a certain set of ram from Newegg that works better, or is known to work well with it?

I have two of these kits in my 2011 iMac and it's great. I can run like every app. Ever.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What would be the most efficient way of switching out the HD in my late 2007 Macbook without losing all my stuff? I've got some expensive software not to mention tons of music and RAW photos I don't want to lose. I've replaced the RAM in my Macbook and replacing the HD doesn't look much more complicated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thoogsby posted:

What would be the most efficient way of switching out the HD in my late 2007 Macbook without losing all my stuff? I've got some expensive software not to mention tons of music and RAW photos I don't want to lose. I've replaced the RAM in my Macbook and replacing the HD doesn't look much more complicated.

Carbon copy cloner with a USB enclosure.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Bob Morales posted:

Carbon copy cloner with a USB enclosure.

Looks good. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Looks good. Thanks!

Just remember when/if you upgrade to a newer machine (an i5 Pro for example), you can't run the OS from your old C2D Macbook so you will have to re-install.

Unless there's some hackish way of doing it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In situations like the above I just clone the drive, slap in the new one, do a full install of Snowy/Lion-Oh for that model onto the new drive, then boot up, make a dummy admin account, then use Migration Assistant to grab everything from the old account.

Pain-free (mostly) and everything usually comes over, no muss or fuss unless it's from a Tiger OS in which case I have to redo networking and printers.

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

SpoonsForThought posted:

Well it is a bit confusing. Amazon says they are "not in stock" but allowed the order. Earlier Amazon wasn't even an option to order from.
I just tried ordering, with Amazon as the seller, and I'm still getting "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase" :(

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

In situations like the above I just clone the drive, slap in the new one, do a full install of Snowy/Lion-Oh for that model onto the new drive, then boot up, make a dummy admin account, then use Migration Assistant to grab everything from the old account.

Pain-free (mostly) and everything usually comes over, no muss or fuss unless it's from a Tiger OS in which case I have to redo networking and printers.

This is very good advice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One of our dipshit graphics designers emailed the rest of the office telling us that he "Made a install disk for Lion if anyone wants to use it", a couple days after Lion came out.

:filez: We're a software company why would do such a thing?

Anyway, nobody took him up on it because why upgrade when it's just going to break poo poo. At some point today, he talks the owner into upgrading his 2010 MBA. So for the rest of the day his machine has been acting weird, can't open files, Office is acting up, he's rebooted about 50 times. I also heard something like "It's asking me to register my computer..."

Now I think he just wants to go back to Snow Leopard but I don't think he has the little USB install thing anymore, and we don't have any external DVD drives. I'll offer him mine, but of course it's at home. He's on the phone with Apple now so we'll see if they're going to mail him a new one or what happens.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 26, 2011

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Kilted Yaksman posted:

I just tried ordering, with Amazon as the seller, and I'm still getting "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase" :(

You're going to have to chat with one of their customer reps. I had to chat with 3 of them to find one who would apply it. Just be careful though, there are some reports on the MacRumors forums that if you harass too many of the reps they could ban your account.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SpoonsForThought posted:

If I remember correctly I had a friend use it on his White MacBoook with the x3100 integrated graphics.

Based on this blog and some of the comments it seems like it should be fine:
http://spanring.eu/blog/2006/07/02/arcgis-on-mac-os-x-2/
Thanks for the link/info. Know if that was ArcGIS 10 by chance he used or an older version?

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Thanks for the link/info. Know if that was ArcGIS 10 by chance he used or an older version?

Probably an older version, I've seen one place where someone has mentioned using version 9 on their Macbook Air.

On the ArcGIS website I don't see a mention of a discrete GPU, I see this:
64 MB RAM minimum, 256 MB RAM or higher recommended. NVIDIA, ATI and INTEL chipsets supported

Which are requirements the HD3000 meets.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

SpoonsForThought posted:

Just be careful though, there are some reports on the MacRumors forums that if you harass too many of the reps they could ban your account.

That won't happen unless you are a complete rear end in a top hat to them (yelling, screaming, threatening). I've bothered their reps plenty of times over the years with 0 problems.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SpoonsForThought posted:

Probably an older version, I've seen one place where someone has mentioned using version 9 on their Macbook Air.

On the ArcGIS website I don't see a mention of a discrete GPU, I see this:
64 MB RAM minimum, 256 MB RAM or higher recommended. NVIDIA, ATI and INTEL chipsets supported

Which are requirements the HD3000 meets.

Hmm, for some reason I think I misread it when I looked at it, since yeah, I thought it required more. Thanks for pointing that out, since that alleviates my concerns!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So I was thinking about buying an ipod shuffle for exercising since my ipod touch is simply too heavy to run with and my phone is even bigger. When are the new ones expected to come out? Is there another mp3 player (not apple) I should consider besides the shuffle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
This September, most likely, if they choose to update it at all. You might get an enclosure colour change?

Other brand? Meh. When you're talking a screen-less MP3 player, it doesn't really matter who you choose. The Shuffle has the advantage that it's cheap, and syncs easily with iTunes.