Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Oh gosh, hes got white little socks. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yes :) And here's another, not his brother but from the same breeder and kept together. Sorry the photo isn't great, he's one of those blurry rats. He has socks too, and black ears and a little pink nose :3: He is still a little shy.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 24, 2011

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
I am confused regarding euthanasia for rats - it's a sad topic, I know, but I'm getting mixed messages between the internet and real life.

On a lot of rat sites, and various pocket pet sites, I see that people seem to hold the following true: "Vets will euthanize rats in only 2 ways: Breaking the breastbone with a needle to the heart, or giving them gas to prevent the pain before doing that."

But, when I had my first rat, Charlotte, put to sleep (a tumor and a stroke), the Vet took her in her hand, gave her a tiny needle prick behind her left front shoulder, and then set her in the nest box we'd brought, where she gave tired little kisses to any fingers nearby before she simply passed peacefully.

There was definitely no gas, and no breastbone breakage - and she didn't suffer. What I'm curious about, is that this process seemed so simple and humane, so where are all of these euthanasia horror stories coming from? Do vets in other parts of the world have issues with rats? I just don't understand, really.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Last week I had one pts, and the vet told me they give them anesthetic then an injection to the stomach. At least I think thats what I heard. It might have been anesthetic to the stomach. I was pretty upset and don't remember well and I didn't watch. This is Australia.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
My vet gives them isoflurane gas until they drift away, then administers the injection.

The needle goes into the belly or chest area. I have never heard anything break or seen them express any pain.

The rat will sometimes push away the little cone for the gas at first but it is generally peaceful.

They are laying in my hands while this is happening so I would notice any discomfort.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Jin Wicked posted:

The rat will sometimes push away the little cone for the gas at first but it is generally peaceful.

Oh god this... :smith: This is just the most heartbreaking thing.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I've had rats PTS by the vet with the injection to the belly and it isn't that bad. But I will now always have my rat breeder do it.She isn't just a breeder, she does necropsies, works in conjunction with several vets and pathologists and has by far the most humane and peaceful method for euthanasia I've ever seen. She first gives the rats a dose of pre-anesthesia subcutaneously, most rats don't even notice it. This drug very slowly makes them fall asleep and while they do the get the "munchies." Even rats that haven't wanted to eat for weeks want to eat with this drug and she always has some ice cream around for them. This really gives owners a last good memory of their rat happy and eating ice cream off of their fingers. They get a little floppy as they fall asleep but nothing disturbing. Then once they're unconscious they get the last shot in the belly. It's quite clear at that point that they are not feeling any pain and just drift away. I found it to be a nearly pleasant experience, It was like having a few moments back with the rat Alex used to be before his body started falling apart. Skinner was never particularly fond of me and in his last few minutes he enjoyed being held, was very licky and enjoyed being scratched behind the ears.

I hope I never have to have the vet do it again. If only we could all go out eating ice cream and held by somebody who loves us.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Hmm..., Supertwo, I think that might have been the way the vet did it for my Charlotte. I don't remember a second shot, but when she fully lost consciousness I turned my face to cry, so it could have happened any time after that.

I'm really sorry for saddening up the thread. :smith:

I recently got a baby girl, fawn hooded with two little spots on her left shoulder - I named her Tater. (Real answer, because she's round, brown, and fearless, Meme answer: Coz she's precious)

She's by far the most well socialized ratlet we've had so far. She's utterly fearless (including the noise in the car on the drive home, she gave no poo poo), and has a wonderful, quirky personality. She's very particular about play time vs. cuddle time - if you're holding her, it's cuddle time, she'll react with apathy at any attempts to rile her up, and tuck up onto your neck to sleep. If she's on the couch, or in her cage, she's always up for play, bouncing around and wrestling with my hand. :3:

I'll put some pictures up once I get the camera back from my mother. :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yes pics please!
My little guy looking contrite

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

Super cute new baby

He needs a name!

May I suggest Bustopher Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustopher_Jones) for the black one and Beau Brummell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Brummell) for the velour? You have some very classy looking rats

I lived with someone who had rats for the summer, and boy are the cuties so addicting. I really want to get some of my own, but am super busy and my landlady probably won't let me. So all of you with rats need to post more pictures!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Yes pics please!
My little guy looking contrite

No such thing. :3

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

That grey rat is gorgeous.

We've been handling her tons. She's so sweet and loves to be around us. We're having name troubles too. At first I wanted to name her Mrs. Dr. Girlfriend, but that's too long. Now I'm thinking Mrs. Brisby?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Any long name can be shortened to something :) I like Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend!

Names have pretty much come down to the first thing that comes up that my daughter and I agree on. I liked the earlier suggestions, but she totally overruled me.

So I think we're calling little grey guy Wiley. I want to name the other one Spartacus (why? I don't know!) but it is pending approval.

Other little guy is still too shy to make good photos. He never stops being blurry.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 27, 2011

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Made oat pancakes for breakfast this morning... And then made the rats little quarter-sized ones too. So sorry for lack of pictures of this event :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Big Bug Hug posted:

grey

blue :eng101:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Oh yes, blue :)

People think I'm mad when I make rat sized hamburgers, pancakes, scones etc. I do it anyway.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
My boys went pea fishing this morning and it was so cute I could have died. Only one of them got the hang of it but he mastered it and started handing peas to his brothers.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
You're freaking kidding me. I've never seen a rat give away food!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Big Bug Hug posted:

You're freaking kidding me. I've never seen a rat give away food!

I definitely have. :3: Especially when there's a lot of food to go around, and they want to stash it all. I've also had bonded rats help each other out in their old age, from bringing their weaker buddies food to helping to prop them up so that they can reach the water bottle more easily. I've seen some pretty incredible displays of altruism in rats. Rats are awesome.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

We've decided to name her Pris.

She was on my chair and I was standing when I gave her this piece of bread. She grabbed it and looked kind of panicked trying to find a place to crawl onto me. I realized she wanted me to sit down so she could sit on me to eat it. Afterwards she curled up and fell asleep. :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Pris is a cutie. She eats on you cause she feels safe :3:

Superconsndar posted:

I definitely have. :3: Especially when there's a lot of food to go around, and they want to stash it all. I've also had bonded rats help each other out in their old age, from bringing their weaker buddies food to helping to prop them up so that they can reach the water bottle more easily. I've seen some pretty incredible displays of altruism in rats. Rats are awesome.
That's sweet. Maybe I haven't seen it yet because I've had no real elderly rats. The only one I've lost died after only a short illness. My rats are all sweet to each other but when it comes to food they will play tug-of-war with eachothers' bones and raid eachothers' stash.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Pris is a cutie. She eats on you cause she feels safe :3:

That's sweet. Maybe I haven't seen it yet because I've had no real elderly rats. The only one I've lost died after only a short illness. My rats are all sweet to each other but when it comes to food they will play tug-of-war with eachothers' bones and raid eachothers' stash.

If it makes you feel better my last rats were assholes that would punch each other in the face to take whatever the other one was eating. :)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
And push each other out of the way to get to the water bottle? Yeah :3:

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.

Hi rat forum, that is Orwell, and I (fifthace's girlfriend typing this because he is currently tending to the rat) have a question about him.
Last night he gave me two nasty (in comparison to the regular nibbles) bites, on my eye then my ear, both while he was just climbing around on my shoulders. He didn't seem freaked out and I didn't make sudden movements or have food or anything, so I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea why. He's been sick and had a stressful vet visit so I understand if it was just a 'I'm not very pleased with you' bite, but there was nothing leading up to it or any warning SO now I find myself flinching whenever he's near my face. How do I a) get over this sudden mild fear, b) tell when he's about to lay into my face again, c) prevent such a thing, and d) make him understand we just spent 50 dollars towards his health so he should be happy, sheesh...?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Fifthace posted:

Last night he gave me two nasty (in comparison to the regular nibbles) bites, on my eye then my ear, both while he was just climbing around on my shoulders.

Anything besides food that he could be going after, has anything changed?

I wear heavy eye makeup and earrings. I have had rats nip at my makeup or earrings.

Earrings are shiny, and I assume the makeup has a different scent than they associate with me.

If he bites or nips you, squeak loudly. He should back off immediately.

atomikdarling
Apr 29, 2007

Pouring one out for my Ohmies.
So, I got my first rats! They are both male, and practically identical. Meet Ricky and Julian!

The boys are very curious and love to approach the side of the cage when I get close, but I think we have awhile to go before I can take them out without my hands being shredded by tiny rat claws.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
My 3 year old Tink died last night. Very sudden. I gave her her treat in the evening as usual, left for 20 minutea to have a shower, and when I came back, she was dead.

I told a few people at work since I was feeling down. One person overheard and said, "What did you lose? Your cat?" and when I replied no, my rat, she sneered and said, "Eww, a rat."
I HATE when people do this. She was still my pet, I still loved her, and it's loving rude to do that in front of someone who's missing the animal that's apparently causing feelings of such uncontrollable disgust. :smith:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Jin Wicked posted:

Anything besides food that he could be going after, has anything changed?

I wear heavy eye makeup and earrings. I have had rats nip at my makeup or earrings.

Earrings are shiny, and I assume the makeup has a different scent than they associate with me.

If he bites or nips you, squeak loudly. He should back off immediately.

Somewhat related, NEVER wear a bandaid while handling rats. For some reason they WILL bite the poo poo out of anything covered by one. I think the smell is amazing to them for some reason. :iiam:

I'm sorry part of everything, 3 years is a good long life for a rat, especially a female. They tend to develop a lot of problems with the uterus and mammary tumors as they age. You gave her a fantastic healthy life.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Part of Everything posted:

I told a few people at work since I was feeling down. One person overheard and said, "What did you lose? Your cat?" and when I replied no, my rat, she sneered and said, "Eww, a rat."

No one has ever had the sack to say anything like this to me.

Sorry for your loss. gently caress them. :(

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

Part of Everything posted:

My 3 year old Tink died last night. Very sudden. I gave her her treat in the evening as usual, left for 20 minutea to have a shower, and when I came back, she was dead.

I HATE when people do this. She was still my pet, I still loved her, and it's loving rude to do that in front of someone who's missing the animal that's apparently causing feelings of such uncontrollable disgust. :smith:

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I hate when people do that. If I say "my pet died" and they ask what kind of pet, the response of rat usually gets "oh lol it's not a real pet then!!!" :fuckoff: I've managed to convert a bunch of haters to the other side but some people refuse to get the NYC sewer rat image out of their mind and think I'm disgusting for having such a creature in my house.

3 years though, wow. The oldest I've had was about 2 years 4 months. I love the name too. RIP Tink. :(

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Sorry about Tink :( 3 years is a good long life, and it doesn't sound like she was suffering at all, so that's something.

My big guys, at 2 or a bit older, are going downhill. I lost one, and one now has a tumor. Luckily the vet thinks it is slow growing, and I'm just going to let it take its course until it interferes with his quality of life. I dread the day I have to euthanise again. Its pretty much the worst decision I've had to make.

Edit
Happy pics
Big fat rats

Hangin' out in my sleeve while I type

I let the little guys hang out with the older guys while I can supervise them, and the older rats give no gently caress about the little ones, but Wiley continues to be a bit defensive and thinks every time Jack moves he's going to eat him. He still has fun running around like a maniac in there with his brother. I'm sure he'll soon realise no one's going to beat him up.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 6, 2011

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Okay so sometimes we get the ratties out on the bed and my little black hood had quite the scare when we thought we were losing her as she ended up with a lump filled with blood. But we've been feeding her up and she's putting her weight back on, so to celebrate we got them out on the bed (which is their favourite place) and then we gave them yoghurt.

My girls are beautiful and here is a youtube of them (we are goofy voices sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBiCgw46HXM

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Cute :) I could watch rat videos all day. Your voice isn't as goofy as mine gets though.

One of Wiley. I like how he holds his snacks in one hand :3:
http://youtu.be/rBadoFSmWMw

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What are your rats favorite toys, and treats?

I need to find a treat that my rats love, so I can try to teach them tricks, but when I try, they are more interested in exploring, since they are out of their cage.

Also, they dont seem interested in any of the toys I got. So i'm looking for new toys that they will find more interesting. Right now I just have those plastic balls with the bells inside that cats play with, and a large ball that looks like its made out of twigs.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Treats: puffed rice (you can give as many as you want 'cause they're tiny) and cheerios. Mine go nuts for both of these. For trust training, yoghurt on the fingers so they have to stay and lick it off.

Toys: cardboard boxes, and lots of cardboard boxes. You can go inside them and chew them too! :3: Rawhide bones to chew. rope with hanging things. Paper strips or paper towel they can rip up and carry everywhere. Peanuts in the shell (hilarious!) Paper bags. You can go inside those too, its great! Egg cartons you can move around and chew and rip up. Anything chewable thats interesting or things that appeal to the nesting or foraging urge.

Thats pretty much it for my guys, they're lazy. :) Hope this helps!

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 8, 2011

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My girl rats used to love jingle balls. We'd buy a couple packs in the cat section and give them one at a time, they loved carrying them around. A few days (hours...) later, SUCCESS they have removed the jingler!!!! So I gave them another ball. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

CompactFanny posted:

My girl rats used to love jingle balls. We'd buy a couple packs in the cat section and give them one at a time, they loved carrying them around. A few days (hours...) later, SUCCESS they have removed the jingler!!!! So I gave them another ball. :3:

My boys were the same way. They liked the hard rubber ones best. They would chew like maniacs until the hole was big enough to extract the bell, then give up on the ball until I put in a new jingly one.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for sharing. I have a hamster wheel in there, but they arent showing any interest. I'll try some cardboard boxes and paper bags. They do enjoy playing tug o war with a plastic straw.

As far as favorite food, they love Spam, and nori (seaweed paper). They kinda like yogurt drops, but i'll try people yogurt.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Careful with Nori, my rats LOVE it but its one of those foods that gets very sticky and I had one get it caught in his throat once. Rats can have a hard time getting obstructions out, and it took him about an hour, it sucked. They still get it, but I cut it up into tiny strips if I wanna give it to them cause they're pigs and wolf it down :)

My boys don't really care for jingly balls. Interesting. I think they're just overly obsessed with food.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I always find a roll of toilet paper makes for a great toy. No need to do anything with it, just pull one end loose and toss it in the cage. If you're feeling creative and you have hammocks on strings or ties, you can thread the roll through that. Good times.