Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

A goon pointed me this video, its work safe and just shows how a dad played waaaay too much Doom, i think even more than us.

I want this guy to make a music WAD where it's just him humming all of the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That dad owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

treat posted:

It's the Milky Way, not the universe, and in actuality it's hundreds of billions, not millions. :science:

I haven't played the game/sim/mind bong, but with a margin of error of around 100-200 billion stars, I have a hard time even imagining how much depth it holds.

Jesus proposing anything to goons is a loving pain, OCD is a bitch to behold.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm getting back into Doom by trying to beat Doom 1 and Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence with "hardcore mode"-esque runs. If I die, I start all over.

Holy gently caress Doom 2 is way, way harder than the original Doom :psyduck: Also, what's with nightmare mode? Do monsters just respawn infinitely?
Nightmare mode was id's semi-trolling response to "Doom is too easy" and isn't meant to be a serious difficulty setting. Enemies are more aggressive (shoot faster and more often) and they also respawn infinitely, but on the plus side ammo pickups are worth double. Pinky demons move and bite twice as fast too, meaning that you might actually take damage from them!

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

treat posted:

It's the Milky Way, not the universe, and in actuality it's hundreds of billions, not millions. :science:

It's not just the Milky Way, it procedurally generates other galaxies as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No sane person gives a poo poo, jesus.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I've been playing no rest for the living recently and I wonder why we couldnt get levels of this quality in vanilla doom 2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

H2Omelon posted:

Nightmare mode was id's semi-trolling response to "Doom is too easy" and isn't meant to be a serious difficulty setting. Enemies are more aggressive (shoot faster and more often) and they also respawn infinitely, but on the plus side ammo pickups are worth double. Pinky demons move and bite twice as fast too, meaning that you might actually take damage from them!

You know, I do pretty well on Ultra-Violence, which would normally make me question a game's difficulty, but these fuckers were playing with arrow keys. Now I do remember killing the Cyberdemon with arrow keys when I was younger but it was on a much lower difficulty setting. It actually blows my mind if people thought Doom was too easy while keyboard turning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You know, I do pretty well on Ultra-Violence, which would normally make me question a game's difficulty, but these fuckers were playing with arrow keys. Now I do remember killing the Cyberdemon with arrow keys when I was younger but it was on a much lower difficulty setting. It actually blows my mind if people thought Doom was too easy while keyboard turning.

There's a demo file on /idgames somewhere that's a multiplayer match recording between a keyboard team and a mouse&keyboard team, it's pretty wild how well the keyboard players do.

Do remember that in multiplayer mode the game has like, less angles your character can face while moving so it was a bit different than singleplayer play.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

I've been playing no rest for the living recently and I wonder why we couldnt get levels of this quality in vanilla doom 2.

Making levels for first person shooters was still kind of new when Doom 2 was being developed. No Rest for the Living is well above average for modern Doom maps anyway. It's really good.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Nothing I can do will let Skulltag or ZDoom work on my computer running OS X 10.6. The console just says this:

code:
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	[0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]	Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	[0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]	Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	[0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]	1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	[0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]	2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	[0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]	to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]
8/23/11 5:05:16 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[141]	([0x0-0x4f24f2].org.zdoom.ZDoom[13270]) Exited with exit code: 255
Skull Tag reports the same problem just swap the Zdoom references with Skulltag. I have the Doom2.wad in both the same folder as the executible, as well as in ~/Library/Application Support/ZDoom and /Library/Application Support/ZDoom

I'm out of ideas as to how to make this work.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
The recent Half-life discussion has made me want to play through the singleplayer again, but I don't really feel like playing through it vanilla. Does anyone know of any mods that make it crazier? Something along the lines of Rocket Crowbar would be cool. :)

Edit: I also just played about 10 minutes of Half-life multiplayer. It's still fun! :3:

beanbrew fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 24, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

beanbrew posted:

The recent Half-life discussion has made me want to play through the singleplayer again, but I don't really feel like playing through it vanilla. Does anyone know of any mods that make it crazier? Something along the lines of Rocket Crowbar would be cool. :)

Other than Rocket Crowbar itself, you mean?

PS07 comes to mind, and there's another that's right on the edge of my mind but can't remember.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Progress reports on Brutal Doom!

New Death! Redefining the Chaingun Cha-Cha.
New Weapon! You'll be able to liberate Mancubus arms from sufficiently-exploded owners and use them as weapons!
Updated Gore! The particle effects have been toned down for greater gameplay visibility, but you'll be able to play Gib Soccer as compensation. :gibs:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

It just gets better and better.

I reckon that the opacity of the blood-splats on the visor and cracks/bullet-holes could be dropped to about half what it currently is, though. Make it a little less distracting, perhaps. I need to find the contact details for the creator and suggest that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's a shame about the blood splats, I really enjoyed the incredibly over the top gore effects and seeing a room completely painted in red. It'd be nice if there were two seperate versions, one with the old skool gore and the toned down version, but I guess it'd be too much work.

The new minigun death style is lovely, though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Just cleared the first Quake 2 expansion (Reckoning) and it's probably slightly better in terms of level design than stock Quake 2, but if you thought the original's enemies were too bullet-spongy, holy poo poo. The last few levels have a "super gladiator" enemy that I think have more health than Makron, it takes like 200 chaingun bullets or 10 rail slugs to down one. Oh yeah and there's a level with at least 15 of them, followed by another one with probably 10.

It also has possibly the worst weapon ever, a Ghostbusters trap that will pretty much kill one weak enemy and explode (it won't kill strong enemies), but if you go within 10 feet of it then it will kill you instead.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that thing loving sucks and is useless against everything save for yourself.

How were you able to handle all of the laser rifle assholes though? I stopped playing at the moon base and haven't gone back because of that poo poo.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Railgun. Also, the vast majority of the ones located at long ranges are flagged to not move so they will stand there while your rocket or ion ripper shots sail toward them.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2011

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Does anyone know where I can find the Quake 2 expansion 'Oblivion'? I had it on a 1999 PC Gamer coverdisc which has since gone astray. All I could find online was a single screenshot.

It's a really cool campaign with AI bots who fight alongside you, new weapons including a Deatomizer and Donut of Death (fires a shockwave in all directions), and new monsters, including Deatomizer Soldiers and Gunner Spiders.

E: Nevermind, found it!

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 24, 2011

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Zero Star posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the Quake 2 expansion 'Oblivion'? I had it on a 1999 PC Gamer coverdisc which has since gone astray. All I could find online was a single screenshot.

It's a really cool campaign with AI bots who fight alongside you, new weapons including a Deatomizer and Donut of Death (fires a shockwave in all directions), and new monsters, including Deatomizer Soldiers and Gunner Spiders.

E: Nevermind, found it!

Did you grab the fixed version from here?: http://tenfourmaps.telefragged.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=498148&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200&sid=6c32d4034a4a01ac07929168815819ab

The author recommends Quake2max 0.44 to properly play this (http://tenfourmaps.telefragged.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=498148&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175).

I cant run quake2max anymore on my computer, keeps complaining about a buffer overrun detected, very weird. So are there any other quake 2 source ports that ignore the 'index overflow' error that is required to play this? Would really like to check it out. I played the first map on quake2max, and it was very cool with the AI buddies helping you, albeit they were a bit stupid.

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 25, 2011

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
So the vibe I'm getting about the quake expansions is:

scourge of Armageddon: Good
Dissolution of eternity: Bad
Ground zero: Bad
Reckoning: Passable

Is that about right? Quake 3...does this have an online community still or is it like, "the same 50 people who have been playing it since launch and will destroy you". I have Q3Team arena in my queue as well from a steam sale, but someone told me that it was completely dead. Is that about right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

New Death! Redefining the Chaingun Cha-Cha.
New Weapon! You'll be able to liberate Mancubus arms from sufficiently-exploded owners and use them as weapons!
Updated Gore! The particle effects have been toned down for greater gameplay visibility, but you'll be able to play Gib Soccer as compensation. :gibs:

This mod just keeps getting better and better. Seriously.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Tolain posted:

Quake 3...does this have an online community still or is it like, "the same 50 people who have been playing it since launch and will destroy you". I have Q3Team arena in my queue as well from a steam sale, but someone told me that it was completely dead. Is that about right?

Depends on which Quake 3 you want. Team Arena is pretty drat dead, Arena is less dead (I can find about 30 actual games on the master server that aren't Urban Terror at a quick glance), and Quake Live is still kicking pretty good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom Classic for iOS has updated. It finally adds a proper menu system for Tilt Turn, so Dominic White will no longer feel those constant migranes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tolain posted:

Ground zero: Bad

I haven't touched this one yet. Is it really worse than Reckoning?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Yodzilla posted:

I haven't touched this one yet. Is it really worse than Reckoning?

From what I remember, I thought it was a drat sight better than The Reckoning - there weren't any ridiculous bullet sponge shielded monsters at any rate.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man I remember Hexen being scary back in the day but now the game is just confusing and boring. It's just mazes and enemies like Doom except now all of the weapons are boring and the monsters really easy to kill. It's not really an RPG but it's not really a first person shooter either, it's just kinda dull.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

Man I remember Hexen being scary back in the day but now the game is just confusing and boring. It's just mazes and enemies like Doom except now all of the weapons are boring and the monsters really easy to kill. It's not really an RPG but it's not really a first person shooter either, it's just kinda dull.

Thank you.

Like Quake II, it's just one of those id classics that I start up once in a while and end up stop playing because it's so loving boring.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The second level of the game has got to be one of the most obtuse bits of level design I've ever encountered. I don't think I ever got past it back in the day and I can already feel myself getting tired of the Seven Portals. It's just nonsensical switches that do something arbitrary somewhere else over and over and over again.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

I haven't done extensive research on this, but it was an interesting thing I saw a few weeks ago and it doesn't appear to have been proven BS yet, although people are obviously skeptical of its practical applications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Their refusal to provide a detailed explanation of what makes this better than any other voxel renderer is either because they're lying or because they're protecting their trade secrets until they get official funding, depending on who you want to believe.

This is vaporware that has been going on for years, over 4 years, in fact.

They create videos like these, pretend they're releasing this engine, delete the video eventually when everyone forgets about it, start over again.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Quake 2 Ground Zero trip report: the only new weapon I've encountered is a prox mine which is kinda neat but you can only access it through the scroll wheel because it isn't bound to any number button. Also all of the guns shoot well to the right of the crosshair for whatever reason, a problem that doesn't exist in vanilla Quake 2 or The Reckoning.

Also it starts off in a mine. Again. Probably going to end up in some sort of facility. Wheeeee...

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Yodzilla posted:

The second level of the game has got to be one of the most obtuse bits of level design I've ever encountered. I don't think I ever got past it back in the day and I can already feel myself getting tired of the Seven Portals. It's just nonsensical switches that do something arbitrary somewhere else over and over and over again.
So it's basically Myst with murdering.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hexen always sucked. The very first map was really cool and atmospheric and then you get to the second map and it's a stupid hub leading out to a bunch of lovely mazes that you're going to have to spend forever stumbling through to find all of the keys or whatever you need to progress. It's the worst kind of Doom map design and it totally ruins the game. Also there's like no enemy variety and each class only has a handful of weapons so it gets really boring in addition to being an unfun slog through endless unremarkable corridors. :bravo:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yep, three weapons for each class plus a final super weapon. I got bored of it back in the day but I always knew people liked it so I figured the problem was just with me. Nope.

And I'm already about to give up on Ground Zero. It's already lovely and boring and the technical issues are just the icing on the cake. Oh and thanks for the insta-kill lava traps, that's really appreciated Rogue.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Hexen would have been great if it had borrowed Tomb Raider's 'focus the camera on newly-opened doors for a few seconds' mechanic, so you'd actually know what was going on. Then again I suppose that was a little too advanced for its time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think it would have been playable, I don't think it would have been great.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Tried out Brutal Doom finally. Oh neat, the Berserk pack has an alternate 'rip and tear' mode, I wonder what that do--

:staredog: :iia:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The problem was that switches could affect things on totally different maps without any actual indication of what or where. Frustrating.

Hexen just really disappointed me at the time. The graphics and sounds and, you know, the stabs they took at something approaching "atmosphere" in the Doom engine were really very cool but the level design just squandered all of it. I never actually tried the expansion or sequel, maybe they were better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Hexen 2 peaked at the sheepapult.

The sheepapult was in the 2nd level or so.