Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And no laws about headlights? :haw:

Welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Very likely joining the 690 army in the next couple weeks.

God help me my driving record.

PS - 625 SMC for sale in central Iowa. Will be driving to CO in the next couple of weeks so I could deliver anywhere along the I80 corridor

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

And no laws about headlights? :haw:

Welcome!

Au contraire, mon frère. Note the two round recesses on the right half of the number plate. Very slick!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PyxlWyz posted:

Au contraire, mon frère. Note the two round recesses on the right half of the number plate. Very slick!

Nice, that's a clean solution. Didn't even notice it browsing from my phone clearly.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I need some advice from sumo experts. I currently have a DRZ400S that doesn't get ridden enough. I was considering getting some street rims/tires to make it a bit more street friendly. I have an offer of $900 for a set of Excel rims/hubs, tires, EBC front rotor, and rear sprocket. I would still need to pick up a rear rotor and maybe a Vapor tach/speedo to deal with the lack of speedo gear with the aftermarket rims. With everything I would be in about $1200. Does this seem like a decent price and am I missing anything needed for an S to SM conversion?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That seems like a good price...you should be good at around 1070 though...120 for the vapor and 50 for the rotor.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What year? Would it be cheaper to just sell the bike and get an SM? It's a pain, but you might end up saving money or even spending the same amount on a newer / possibly nicer bike.

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.
The headlights are bright - currently 35w halogen but it'll take 50w and different coloured bulbs. The best thing is a new bulb I can find in a DIY shop for 35 pence..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAOh1ZzCBo

Pete fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 25, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pete posted:

The headlights are bright - currently 35w halogen but it'll take 50w and different coloured bulbs. The best thing is a new bulb I can find in a DIY shop for 35 pence..

Is that something you made/had custom made? Or is it an off-the-shelf thing?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pete posted:

are those kitchen downlighter bulbs?

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Is that something you made/had custom made? Or is it an off-the-shelf thing?

Off the shelf of a German website. They only sell black now, but I don't have the link.

echomadman posted:

are those kitchen downlighter bulbs?

Sure are!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pete posted:

Off the shelf of a German website. They only sell black now, but I don't have the link.

Black good! No link bad.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Kastivich posted:

I need some advice from sumo experts. I currently have a DRZ400S that doesn't get ridden enough. I was considering getting some street rims/tires to make it a bit more street friendly. I have an offer of $900 for a set of Excel rims/hubs, tires, EBC front rotor, and rear sprocket. I would still need to pick up a rear rotor and maybe a Vapor tach/speedo to deal with the lack of speedo gear with the aftermarket rims. With everything I would be in about $1200. Does this seem like a decent price and am I missing anything needed for an S to SM conversion?

Just get some street friendly tires for your current dirt wheels. If you find you're liking it really well but want more grip you could go to the sumo setup. To be honest though a decent set of street tires on the dirt rims should probably be enough for street riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

Just get some street friendly tires for your current dirt wheels. If you find you're liking it really well but want more grip you could go to the sumo setup. To be honest though a decent set of street tires on the dirt rims should probably be enough for street riding.

A set of D606es are "enough" for street riding, but the supermoto setup really transforms the bike a lot more than people who haven't ridden supermoto expect. Change in geometry plus the additional grip of the tires plus a massive overpowered front brake is what makes a sumo fun.

The upside to supermoto setups is you can usually sell them for about what you're in to them, so if you decide to sell the bike/whatever, then you can just pull the sumo stuff and sell it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Z3n posted:

A set of D606es are "enough" for street riding, but the supermoto setup really transforms the bike a lot more than people who haven't ridden supermoto expect. Change in geometry plus the additional grip of the tires plus a massive overpowered front brake is what makes a sumo fun.

The upside to supermoto setups is you can usually sell them for about what you're in to them, so if you decide to sell the bike/whatever, then you can just pull the sumo stuff and sell it.

This is pretty much where I landed. I made an offer this morning after I realized that it would be pretty easy to re-sell them if I don't like it. With any luck I will have it all converted next week.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
After reading this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712492

I'm seriously considering going for a 450exc / 525 exc for street hooliganism, single track and the occasional trip away.

Ive owned a DRZ400 for about 6 years now, along with a 200EXC, KTM 950s, etc. I love KTMs.
But the only thing that made me hold onto the DRZ was its reliability. It's more a workhorse, rather than a fun machine. I used to love riding it when i first got it, before owning KTMs. But as other KTM riders will know, its very hard to enjoy it now that you've tasted KTM blood.

So im thinking 2006ish 450-525exc to replace the DRZ.

thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

gently caress, I say, go for it. Let me know how it turns out. 20k on 2k mile intervals on a 525, insane. I'd totally consider a 525 for street use if I could get that kind of mileage out of it.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
What boots are you all wearing while doing supermoto stuff?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gom Jabbar posted:

Everyone knows you must supermoto wearing flip flops.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gom Jabbar posted:

If I'm loving around a pair of beat-up Gaerne motocross boots. If I'm riding hard or in the mountains Sidi Vortice.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, god. I'm not sure this bike is worth what he thinks it is (starting bid is £2,650)...

Drz on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250880767248

davies1709 posted:

It shows on the speedo that it has done 15145 miles which is not the genuine milage of the bike,the reason for this is because the original speedo/clocks become water damaged after someone decided to jet wash them. A second hand set of clocks were fitted by Mount Motorcycles (a suzuki dealership). I have the invoice clearly stating at the time of changing the clocks the milage was 3768 miles on the original set and the replacment clocks read 14199 which currently read 15145 miles so this works out to be a current milage of 4717 miles sorry for being so long winded but i feel it needed explaining.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Going to start getting the bike track ready. I'm really not looking forward to safety wiring, but I'm going to make a jig out of board and take my time with badass drill bits and the special spinny pliers.

Ugh I ought to replace those mold-colored handguards too.

I'm replaced the Distanza's cause I really wanted street tires and don't ever offroad to the point where I need them, but could I sell them maybe? I can't read tires for poo poo, but they seem to have a ton of thread left to just go in the garbage.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Are you sure your track actually requires safety wiring? The local track here says safety wiring is required on their website, but they're fine with a dab of RTV on the oil drain plug. Not that having it safety wired isn't a good thing, it's just a pain in the rear end.

For hanguards I use reinforced vinyl tubing slipped over the bar to keep it from grinding on the track. It works, and it's cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

For hanguards I use reinforced vinyl tubing slipped over the bar to keep it from grinding on the track. It works, and it's cheap.

Having seen this in person, its a pretty genius setup. Cheap, easy to replace, and saves you from burning up expensive handguard assemblies.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Zool posted:

Are you sure your track actually requires safety wiring? The local track here says safety wiring is required on their website, but they're fine with a dab of RTV on the oil drain plug. Not that having it safety wired isn't a good thing, it's just a pain in the rear end.

I meant just the plastic handguard covers I wanted to replace, cause they are turning yellow. I already tried cleaning them with peroxide.

As for the track, I went there myself during an event and talked to an official to get the straight scoop. Not only is safety wiring required on a ton of bolts (RTV is Ok for the masterlink clip only), but I need actual catch cans as water bottles and the like are no longer allowed as of April this year.

I'm worried about them giving me poo poo for my rotor button missing on the front rotor, but I'm not paying $330 to replace a good rotor with a new one.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
There is a CCM 404 coming up on eBay soon. I'd never heard of CCM before, but it sounds like a pretty awesome bike... and British as well! (except for the Japanese engine...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110736754572

DRZ engine, 7k miles. Kind of far away from me, but I reckon I could arrange a pick up.

What do people think? Particularly, how much should I bid :-)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I had the chance to ride some kick rear end bikes this past weekend.

Only one of them is a true SM, but I rode MotoMind's WR250R which was the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle ever, z3n's KTM 690SMC and MotoMind's KLR (which is more of a comfy armchair than a bike)

I must say, a WR250X will be my next bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I am really surprised you had more fun on a 250x than a 690. I know it tends to get inflated due to internet hype but drat.

Was it how light it was combined with the snappy engine?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

JP Money posted:

I am really surprised you had more fun on a 250x than a 690. I know it tends to get inflated due to internet hype but drat.

Well, the 690 kinda scared me as I had never ridden any type of motard/SM before, and hearing about it's wheelie potential I was rather light on it.

The 250 was great, the road we were riding was super tight and technical so it being like a fast bicycle was incredible. I'm 6'2" 265 so I was really ringing it's neck (with some persuasion from MotoMind) on the way up the hill but it did very well with my fat rear end on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

It's only about 20 pounds lighter than a 690.

The issue with the 690 is that it's a pretty demanding bike. I have a new perspective on the 690 after letting a bunch of people ride it this weekend and talking to them about it...the 690 needs to be thrashed, and it needs to have a rider who is comfortable riding it hard. When you've got twice as much HP, much stiffer/more aggressive suspension, much more aggressive brakes and handling, you gotta be able to push the bike to really enjoy riding it. The 250X is a lot of fun to ride, there's no intimidation, no careful throttle control, no slipping the clutch at low speed to help it behave, just pin it and go.

The difference between riding a ninja 250 vs a supersport 1000, really. One you can shamelessly abuse without a care to the consequences, the other is going to be doing all kinds of crazy poo poo if you try to abuse it.

Different strokes and all that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I figured it was just how responsive small race-oriented type motors like the 250R and X tend to be. That 20 pound weight difference doesn't convey just how different a small single is from a large one in what I've seen. Big singles just have that brutal death feel while the smaller ones tend to be more rev-happy and "light" feeling.

I totally understand the appeal of the "smaller" or more tame bike that you can thrash though. It looks like the 250x has proven itself over and over again as a competent bike - I'd be interested in checking one out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Only downside to the WR250X is that you better be happy with it how it comes out of the box as there aren't many mods out there for it yet. Good luck getting any more power out of it. But it's still a pretty awesome bike overall :)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

Only downside to the WR250X is that you better be happy with it how it comes out of the box as there aren't many mods out there for it yet. Good luck getting any more power out of it. But it's still a pretty awesome bike overall :)

I'd say the MSRP is another strong negative for it imo. It's got some competition at that price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

I'd say the MSRP is another strong negative for it imo. It's got some competition at that price.

You can find them dropping into the 3k range used, which is nice for a counterbalanced FI 6 speed single with comparable power to a DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Well, the 690 kinda scared me as I had never ridden any type of motard/SM before, and hearing about it's wheelie potential I was rather light on it.

The 250 was great, the road we were riding was super tight and technical so it being like a fast bicycle was incredible. I'm 6'2" 265 so I was really ringing it's neck (with some persuasion from MotoMind) on the way up the hill but it did very well with my fat rear end on it.

As always, its way more fun to go fast on a slower bike than slow on a faster bike

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm surprised they've dropped to that cheap already. Guess that evens things up a bit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

The difference between riding a ninja 250 vs a supersport 1000, really. One you can shamelessly abuse without a care to the consequences, the other is going to be doing all kinds of crazy poo poo if you try to abuse it.

Same thing I ran into going from the DRZ to the CRF. It's only 50cc but they are radically different bikes. The DRZ I could go WOT anytime and really ride the poo poo out of it. The CRF demands a lot more respect on all the controls.

I wouldn't say the DRZ was more fun, it was just a different way of riding it. That being said I can't wait to get the CRF on the track.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Im on the hunt for a DRZ. Ive read through this whole thread and I feel pretty prepared as far as what to look for. I figured i'd post up though in case any goons are selling one though. Im in central cali but I can drive a ways for one.

I figured i'd look for an S, most of the SM's in my area are a bit pricey. Any idea how much it will cost me to do a full conversion over to an SM? Im trying to build a list of things that I'll need to do for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Budget 1500 if you want to do inverted front forks, 1200 if you don't. That'll cover everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.
My cousin got his hands on a 2004 Yammy wr250 supermoto (currently got knobblies on) last night for £1750 + £230 for supermoto wheels. Needs some TLC but should be up on the road by the weekend.

-stock img.

Now I just need to buy a GoPro to film the hooliganism..

Pete fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 31, 2011

• Locked thread