Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Paragon8 posted:

http://www.boysbygirls.co.uk/
http://homotography.blogspot.com/ NWS!

Shooting men is getting to be really trendy in fashion.

I never got back to you but those sites have been really useful! Thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Here are the results from my first male shoot :)

IMG_6858 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_6769 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_6922 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_6938 by avoyer, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

IMG_6922 by avoyer, on Flickr

This is the only one I think should be scrapped. It's an awkward photo in general and the hand placement is rather strange. The rest are pretty good general portraits. The fourth one is a much better "open shirt" photo because it looks a lot more natural.

Is he trying to get into modelling? He should probably work on his facial expression diversity.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

RangerScum posted:

This is the only one I think should be scrapped. It's an awkward photo in general and the hand placement is rather strange. The rest are pretty good general portraits. The fourth one is a much better "open shirt" photo because it looks a lot more natural.

Is he trying to get into modelling? He should probably work on his facial expression diversity.

Great critique, thanks! I agree with the hand placement, I wasn't pleased with it but I guess I was looking for something that was more "cliché" and less artsy.

As for the facial expression, I was guiding him and it's something I have to put a lot more effort into. I feel like a one trick pony when it comes to facial expressions.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

What I like to do to get facial expressions is to describe a very detailed and convoluted hypothetical situation. I find it helps it gets the model to relax (and laugh!) and gets them in the right mindset. i.e. You've just managed to outrun and slip away from a mob hunting you and now are trying to blend in with the scenery after donning your new disguise as an innocent civilian. Give me your best "don't notice me I'm totally cool and part of this wall" look.

Edit: Oh btw, mcmadcow, love those.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
^^^Thanks!

Got 2 more last night, same 2 models as my last post. I'm pretty happy with this portrait.

Jami Up Close by McMadCow, on Flickr

The other shot has boobies in it so I won't post it since SA is anti-fun. :colbert:

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I am *adamantly* pro-fun.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

McMadCow posted:

^^^Thanks!

Got 2 more last night, same 2 models as my last post. I'm pretty happy with this portrait.

Jami Up Close by McMadCow, on Flickr

The other shot has boobies in it so I won't post it since SA is anti-fun. :colbert:

/me *click refresh on flickr non stop*

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Crosspost from SAD :)

IMG_7003 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7048 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7099 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7109 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7133 by avoyer, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

xenilk posted:

IMG_7099 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7133 by avoyer, on Flickr

I really like these.

edit: Are you still shooting friends or are these models?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 27, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

I really like these.

edit: Are you still shooting friends or are these models?

Merci! :) I'm still shooting friends, they have no modelling background which I think is fun and challenging. I'm getting better/comfortable at positioning them.

I have a good circle of friends and acquaintances which really helps as I'm always trying to get new people to take pictures of as well as different places. For example these were taken near an abandoned building (found a hole in one of the fences and that friend was courageous/crazy enough like me to join me in there and take pictures! Had a blast.

The only things I'm having a hard time with is focus/recompose especially when shooting at 1.8. Sometimes the eyes are really soft :/ but I'm slowly getting the hang of it :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

Merci! :) I'm still shooting friends, they have no modelling background which I think is fun and challenging. I'm getting better/comfortable at positioning them.

I have a good circle of friends and acquaintances which really helps as I'm always trying to get new people to take pictures of as well as different places. For example these were taken near an abandoned building (found a hole in one of the fences and that friend was courageous/crazy enough like me to join me in there and take pictures! Had a blast.

The only things I'm having a hard time with is focus/recompose especially when shooting at 1.8. Sometimes the eyes are really soft :/ but I'm slowly getting the hang of it :)

You could probably get away with shooting at 2.0 or 2.2 and get a bit more leeway with DOF but not lose out on too much bokehlicious

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

xenilk posted:

Hmmm... whereabouts was the building? I noticed that you're in Ottawa.

There's a pretty cool abandoned radio tower and gutted building off Old Prescott Road that would make for a good location.
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210097641658321925481.0004ab8286be0d0e5e84e

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

Hmmm... whereabouts was the building? I noticed that you're in Ottawa.

There's a pretty cool abandoned radio tower and gutted building off Old Prescott Road that would make for a good location.
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210097641658321925481.0004ab8286be0d0e5e84e

Hey that's really cool! Thanks :)

Pictures from that set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamnophotographer/sets/72157627436159790/

where taken in Russell (take exit 96 (Boundary road)... if you're driving from ottawa, turn right (you'll see a gas station) continue for a little bit (5mins) and it'll be on your left... huge barn + burned down house... great location but beware there are tons of bugs and they are very voracious !

The ones I just posted were taken in victoria's island (basically just off Eddy bridge there are all the domtar buildings.. you can park where you see a huge "Victoria Island" sign. I'll try to pin point where the hole in the fence was exactly using google map.

Edit: Google map for abandoned house / barn

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217507751638147993052.0004aa593dd40fffd6124&msa=0&ll=45.304007,-75.424318&spn=0.004045,0.009592

xenilk fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 28, 2011

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

xenilk posted:

Crosspost from SAD :)

These are amazing. To contribute, crossposted from wedding photo thread:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
So I met an actress at a theater event the other night I was photographing and she wants to pay me to take photos for her portfolio next week.

I feel super disingenuous accepting payment for it because I've only had a camera for 2 weeks so I'm going to shoot her for free but I have zero idea of what to do to take good portrait photos!

I'm going to have my professional portrait photographer friend let me photograph him and give me some tips, and then I'll post them here and hopefully you folks can give me some good feedback.

oh god i'm a total hack

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Gryi posted:

That first pic there is really flat grey. Did you just use the grayscale in camera? Adding contrast and blacks will go a long way to making it less blah, look at film black and white pics to get an idea. Nice smiles though!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

ashgromnies posted:

So I met an actress at a theater event the other night I was photographing and she wants to pay me to take photos for her portfolio next week.

I feel super disingenuous accepting payment for it because I've only had a camera for 2 weeks so I'm going to shoot her for free but I have zero idea of what to do to take good portrait photos!

I'm going to have my professional portrait photographer friend let me photograph him and give me some tips, and then I'll post them here and hopefully you folks can give me some good feedback.

oh god i'm a total hack

Just be confident, have a mental image of what you want and work for it. If you act lost and confused, so will your subject.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Gryi posted:

Did you miss the focus here?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

oh god i'm a total hack

Also look at a lot (A LOT) of pictures to give you ideas of poses / looks you might want to explore with her. I always have a few key poses that I want to try during the shoot which I'm confident will give a "wow" result... once you have a few of those, the rest is simply having fun with the model and trying random stuff.

A good tip would be to always go investigate the place where you plan to shoot beforehand and have a few key places ready for her.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Shot a few parties recently and here's some that I liked. Though technically imperfect, I don't think I could have done much better without killing moods and the like.

The following 4 were shot in basically inky blackness and I'm glad to have gotten any images out at all.

Vuyo Birthday (23 of 32) by sildargod, on Flickr

Vuyo Birthday (24 of 32) by sildargod, on Flickr

Vuyo Birthday (25 of 32) by sildargod, on Flickr

Vuyo Birthday (22 of 32) by sildargod, on Flickr

The next few were shot in better conditions and it shows in the noise levels and overall sharpness of the images.

greensleeves (33 of 46) by sildargod, on Flickr

greensleeves (31 of 46) by sildargod, on Flickr

greensleeves (24 of 46) by sildargod, on Flickr

greensleeves (8 of 46) by sildargod, on Flickr

Can anyone give me further advice on the black and white conversions? They still come out looking terribly grey to my eye.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Why the copyright? ;o

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I actually took this back in April but his manager called me up last week and told me I needed to find pics of the musician in the studio for Mix magazine so I went trolling through my old photos, found this one, edited and sent it out. I am pretty shocked I passed this up on my first pass of the set... I really dig this shot now. He looks exhausted.

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Was he dressed up as The Goon on purpose?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

aliencowboy posted:

Was he dressed up as The Goon on purpose?

Haha I doubt it, and he isn't quite as muscular either... but that is a funny similarity.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

xenilk posted:

Why the copyright? ;o

Oh, these float around on facebook as random folk use them for their profile pics and put them in their own photo uploads, so it's a means of getting referrals like that. I've lost at least one paid job when someone that used a photo of mine as their profile pic couldn't remember who I was when asked, so just pointed the person asking to their nearest friend with a camera.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

This is a new portrait I just printed. It's :nws: which means it's the best kind of portrait. :pervert:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/6099227380/in/photostream/ :nws:

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

McMadCow posted:

This is a new portrait I just printed. It's :nws: which means it's the best kind of portrait. :pervert:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/6099227380/in/photostream/ :nws:

These are shot with 120 right? I imagine computer screens don't touch the sheer amount of contrasty deliciousness you get from the film exposures.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Nope, that was shot with a 35mm rangefinder camera.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Oooh! my point still stands though, it must look fantastic offscreen.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Just some random shots. I need new friends so I have more people to shoot.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Santa is strapped posted:

This one is pretty cool, the rest don't really do much. They don't have any connection to a viewer who doesn't know them personally.

Here's some fun portraits. The wifu wanted new snaps quick before her new job interview.

get out business-0032_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0052_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0068_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This one is pretty cool, the rest don't really do much. They don't have any connection to a viewer who doesn't know them personally.

Here's some fun portraits. The wifu wanted new snaps quick before her new job interview.

If I might suggest, I would be interested to see future snapshots from her taken in eye level or above I think it would be much more flattering :)

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

get out business-0032_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0052_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0068_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Nice frog!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

xenilk posted:

If I might suggest, I would be interested to see future snapshots from her taken in eye level or above I think it would be much more flattering :)

Halfway through the shoot I realized that I forgot my trusty step stool. I then stood on top of a picnic table and took these

get out business-0097_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0079_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Niagalack posted:

Nice frog!

Thanks! She made them, you can get them here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433237

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I was tasked with photographing the new accountant at work, so I used my Dad as a stand-in and got a fairly decent shot of him, I think! (We work at the same place). Unfortunately, the shot of her was not so great.

Is the background too green?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^Your fathers facial expression is amazing, and looks drat genuine. High five him for me.

@McMadcow: God drat you and your always beautiful work.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

TFP model shoot last weekend.
Lack of a stylist/budget/modelwithactualclothes means that the corset didn't fit her too well, but ya use what you can get.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I don't like looking up a model's nose, but everything else about that shot is so strong that I'm willing to forgive it. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Halfway through the shoot I realized that I forgot my trusty step stool. I then stood on top of a picnic table and took these

get out business-0097_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

get out business-0079_pp by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Thanks! She made them, you can get them here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433237

Really nice sadly out of my budget atm :frogout: