Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Luquos posted:

In England, it's pretty common for dogs to be brought into pubs and the like.

My local (also a UK goon) has two spaniels owned by the landlord which roam around the place. I'm not a huge dog fan but so long as they're well behaved I don't really care, if they come over I just sort of wave them off until they get the hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ah, day off. How many people get called to come in to work on their day off? Or worse, like in this case, yesterday I told my coworker to give me a ring if they needed help. And when I didn't get a call in the morning, I decided to go do things. I get a phone call an hour later, and again two hours later, and then an hour ago. Part of me thinks I need to just buck up and go in; I did say I'd help if I could, but goddamnit do they have to wait until after I've started the day off to ask?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I used to get called in all the time, but with my new position I'm one of two people that can do my job, and we both know that if one of us has to call in the other on her day off, she will be pissed.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Before our company went super strict on overtime / extra hours, I use to get called in or requested to work an extra day a week every week.

Lately it's been much harder to get extra hours due to poo poo economy and former department manager stepping down and being a designated floater for 20 stores.

I'm tempted to call the hotline designated for employees to use when they need extra hours that they can pick up anywhere in the district when available. Unfortunately that's kind of weird for me to do because I'm already full time.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

HookShot posted:

Why? If I'm darting down to the corner store for some milk, I might as well give my dog a bit of exercise and tie her out the front for the 2 minutes I'm away from her.

I'd never take her to a mall or anything, but there's no reason why I can't take her with me when I go somewhere where I can leave her out the front and still keep an eye on her while I do some quick shopping.

People do this at my store all the time. Sometimes I'll get some air on my break (If I take a hour) and see a dog or two tied up, but I live in a pretty small retirement community.

On another note I work at a seasonal Publix. My Department(Grocery) goes from pulling 150k+ an average saturday night down to 50k (Last night). Here comes the hour cuts :smith:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm officially fed up with this stupid job, I'm going to start applying to "Administrative Assistant" listings in my area. I don't even care if it means I'm giving up on my shiny new degree (well, 8 months out, now it's probably kinda stale and not very shiny at all), I need out of this idiotic company ASAP.

As background, my availability for work is all day, every day, except Sundays. Last weekend was Tax Free Weekend in Texas, where I was scheduled for and worked both Friday and Saturday. When the new week's schedule came out it said, as usual, I was off Sunday. I come in to work Monday morning only to find that they had changed the week's schedule after it had already been posted for several days, and it listed me working Sunday (7am-1pm). Finding out I was supposed to work the day before, when I sat at home all day enjoying my normal day off none-the-wiser, freaked me out so I talked to one manager. She informed me that Tax-Free Weekend and Black Friday were few of several "black-out days" where literally everyone has to work, regardless of their availability. I have worked for this company for 6 years and have never heard this rule before. I have a no call/no show on my spotless record now, for no reason. Not to mention I worked until almost midnight Saturday night, and they expected me to come in at 7am after 2 days of Black Friday-lite? And it would put me at 12 days in a row without a day off?

Today royally pissed me off though. Apparently we're going to have a "visit" from one of the higher ups in the company next Tuesday, so this morning the same manager from above called a meeting for all employees in the store (the cash registers left unattended, nice.) She told us, almost word for word, "This is not a request, it is a requirement. Every single person is required to come in both this Sunday and Monday, even if your availability says you can't work on Sundays or Mondays (she looked at me). Those of you who have approved vacation days will have to reschedule them." We have two people who until recently thought they'd be out-of-state this weekend, and I had my first Saturday off since April so I made plans to drive down to visit my friends still in college the weekend before school starts. To rub it in, the manager was like "You guys aren't the only ones suffering, that will make it my 4th weekend to work in a row!" Uh, yeah, most of us have no idea when our last weekend off was, if ever.

This whole thing smells fishy because I'm pretty sure you can't require people who cannot work during their holy days, to work some of them simply because the store is expected to be busier or because some Fat Cat is visiting soon. (Most people who are unavailable on Sundays are unavailable because of their religion. I'm not, but they don't know that). Or what if it was because I work a different job on Sundays? Why do they get to ignore my established availability schedule when they signed off on it when I was hired?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

This whole thing smells fishy because I'm pretty sure you can't require people who cannot work during their holy days, to work some of them simply because the store is expected to be busier or because some Fat Cat is visiting soon. (Most people who are unavailable on Sundays are unavailable because of their religion. I'm not, but they don't know that). Or what if it was because I work a different job on Sundays? Why do they get to ignore my established availability schedule when they signed off on it when I was hired?

Because there are thousands of desperate people looking for jobs.

Edit: Not saying it's not complete bullshit, but I am saying it's how it is :smith:

slow dive
Mar 13, 2007

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.
This happened to me awhile back.

I was ringing up a rather gaunt, cagey woman (read: probably tweaking) for a bunch of stuff including a pre-paid cellphone, for around $200. It was a busy weekend, she had people behind her waiting, and she dashed out in the middle of the transaction 'to get something' with her huge pile of crap just on there. I continued to ring her intending to set the stuff aside for her since I was half-through, and fortunately she returned just in time to pay.

She kept saying she was in a hurry to go to a party and that she was late, in such a sharp and aggressive manner as to cause me a little bit of stress. Okay, whatever, it's not like she was buying party stuff, I continued to conduct the transaction as normal.

She wanted to pay with a check, and all of my bad vibes about the woman were pretty much confirmed. She again repeated she was in a hurry and so wrote her driver's license number on the top of the check. I informed her I would still need her photo ID and she tried to get away with just sort of flashing at me. No, ma'am, I'm going to actually need to see it.

She'd taped a photo of herself, black and white, over the ID. "This looks a little odd," I said carefully, having to resist the temptation to just peel the picture back completely off the ID. "I'm not sure I can accept it, let me ask my boss..."

"That's just how the new ones look!" she snapped. People were getting out of line behind her.

"Really?" I almost laughed.

I called my boss over but eventually she paid with some hundred in a big wad of cash, which I made sure to look over carefully. I did get the name off the IDs and checks, at least.

I wonder if she got away with that somewhere.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I had some guy yesterday tell me the earthquake in D.C. was God's way of saying Obama shouldn't be in office, and he was serious. I really hate having to smile and wish these people a good day.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

silversiren posted:

I had some guy yesterday tell me the earthquake in D.C. was God's way of saying Obama shouldn't be in office, and he was serious. I really hate having to smile and wish these people a good day.

These are probably the same people that say the disaster earlier this year in Japan was their punishment for Pearl Harbor. The extents people will go in the name of defending their ideal of a just-world really are unlimited.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

miscellaneous14 posted:

These are probably the same people that say the disaster earlier this year in Japan was their punishment for Pearl Harbor. The extents people will go in the name of defending their ideal of a just-world really are unlimited.

I remember we had a two minute silence on the 11th of September 2002; it was really impressive to see basically the entire shopping area effectively shut down for an act of remembrance like that... Except for one guy. One guy who kept talking throughout it, demanding he be served, that more people die in Africa every year from famine, all that sort of thing. We all ignored him. When the two minutes was up, the first thing my boss did was throw him out of the store and tell him never to come back.

I mean, I get it guy, famine IS bad, but it won't kill you to wait two minutes for your PS2 game.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

drat Bananas posted:

Not to mention I worked until almost midnight Saturday night, and they expected me to come in at 7am after 2 days of Black Friday-lite? And it would put me at 12 days in a row without a day off?

How can you have done 12 days in a row if you always have sundays off?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

marshmallard posted:

How can you have done 12 days in a row if you always have sundays off?

It would have, meaning if she'd worked that Sunday she would have worked 12 days in a row.

The General posted:

Because there are thousands of desperate people looking for jobs.

Edit: Not saying it's not complete bullshit, but I am saying it's how it is :smith:
I'm trying to get a second job and basically get laughed at when I respond "No" to "Do you have completely open availability?" I only work 23 hours, guys, surely you can manage.

Nope :smith:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 25, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

2508084 posted:

It would have, meaning if she'd worked that Sunday she would have worked 12 days in a row.

Haha, I can't believe I failed to understand this. D'oh.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
So I'm quitting my job next month, and it's a pretty awesome feeling.

But now my work days are longer and slower and more painful than ever. Uggggh counting down the days

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
How bad would it be to quit my current job after they just tripled my hours (at my begging)? I somehow managed to land an interview with a bank and I might be jumping ahead of myself, but if I do get the bank job, I'm high-tailing it out of retail.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

How bad would it be to quit my current job after they just tripled my hours (at my begging)? I somehow managed to land an interview with a bank and I might be jumping ahead of myself, but if I do get the bank job, I'm high-tailing it out of retail.

No one will ever know or care.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

silversiren posted:

gently caress 'em. If you get a better job lined up, quit and don't feel bad about it. That's my advice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silversiren posted:

Who gives a gently caress you'll be out of retail.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

silversiren posted:

After *how much* begging? As I recall, you've been asking for more hours for months now, right?

"Welp, I didn't seem to be getting anywhere here, so I went ahead and applied elsewhere. Looks like I'll have plenty of hours with the ongoing hassle or trying to pry them loose, so..."

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

silversiren posted:

Why the gently caress would you give any fucks about this, I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you on this one and if it pans out you will probably never see or hear from any of those people ever again and if some of them turn out to be actual enduring friends they will be totally 100% behind you getting the gently caress out of retail and most likely also be begging you to help them get out as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

silversiren posted:

As everyone has said, this is not a thing to worry about. No sane manager is going to begrudge you getting a job with regular hours, more money and better condiitions. If they DO get arsey about it then they weren't worth working for in the first place.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Ygolonac posted:

After *how much* begging? As I recall, you've been asking for more hours for months now, right?

"Welp, I didn't seem to be getting anywhere here, so I went ahead and applied elsewhere. Looks like I'll have plenty of hours with the ongoing hassle or trying to pry them loose, so..."

Yeah, lots of begging. It's pretty much why i'd kept applying to places, I thought i'd at least get another job completely or have a second job.
But you guys are right. I'm going to scope out the bank job and see what it'll do for me. The only thing I'm afraid of would be losing the bank job and then I'm even worse off. I could probably take a poo poo in the middle of the floor here and I wouldn't lose my job.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

silversiren posted:

Yeah, lots of begging. It's pretty much why i'd kept applying to places, I thought i'd at least get another job completely or have a second job.
But you guys are right. I'm going to scope out the bank job and see what it'll do for me. The only thing I'm afraid of would be losing the bank job and then I'm even worse off. I could probably take a poo poo in the middle of the floor here and I wouldn't lose my job.

Sounds like an appropriate serving of notice right there.

Nah, leave that the poo poo to the customers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

Gotta take a risk at some point, and upon being hired for it it isn't that risky to quit one and take the bank job. Bank jobs usually pay decently, so you should be great with just that.

When contemplating 2 weeks notice, ask yourself one question: "would they give me 2 weeks notice?" The answer 10 out of 10 times is "NO loving WAY" so honestly don't consider giving them graces that they would never give to you.

Sprint has no business sales openings in Philly, so it looks like I will be starting out at a new indirect (non-corporate) store up north next month when I move. I'll just network and grab a job whenever it opens up. The nice thing about commission is that I at least look forward to murderous holiday hours (that I better get), because the numbers that come in at Christmas are just crazy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yay a store complained about me today when I did a delivery! Never mind the store had no parking lot to park in, it being repaved. Never mind that I needed to deliver two small bags there. Never mind there was no safe place to park or leave the van. I called the store while in a fire truck parking zone and asked for someone to come out and pick up the delivery.

The manager was rather upset and wanted to know why he had to do my job for me. After some discussion he came out, walked around the barricaded lot, and took the bags. He told me in the future to go around the back to the alley and leave things there. Okay!

So a few hours later I head back with more deliveries, to the alley, where they have a locked door. I see a fellow employee see me, we meet gazes, and she carefully opens the door, and as I get out of the van, she closes it, safely inside. Leaving me locked out.

Pissed, I leave the boxes in the alley, and as I drive off, I phone the store, and the manager tells me he knows the boxes are there, he saw me deliver them.

He then emails and calls my boss to say I abandoned boxes in his back alley, was rude and lazy, how inconvienent it was that he had to leave his store to pick up an order, etc.

Yes, I shouldn't have gotten pissed at the employees for leaving me locked out, yes I should have knocked, no I shouldn't have left the boxes without someone taking them from my hands, but loving hell, it is you doing my job for ME to pick up some bags when you have no parking lot and I have nowhere to park the delivery car? Then again this isn't the first time I've had issues with this store. So I guess we'll see tomorrow if I get a writeup because of unprofessional behaviors toward coworkers.

I still want to find the employee who met my gaze and locked me out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was in a lovely retail job when I got a job as a bank teller.

I hated my manager so I just gave my barely-one-week notice to an assistant manager, and I later found out from a coworker that my manager pitched a fit because I didn't tell him myself I was quitting. So gently caress him.

Also if you get the job, I don't know if you're going to be a bank teller but if yes:

It is SO much better than normal retail. I loved it and would do it again if I ever had to stop running my business.

That said, when there are problems, they're PROBLEMS. You're dealing with peoples' money, and they obviously enough are really upset when things go wrong. Also, you'll get a lot of fraud attempts. Sometimes someone with 10 cents in their account will come into the bank and ask for it all in cash, when you're going to have to send it away to clear first, and they will pitch a complete and total fit about it. The upside to this is if you do things the way they're supposed to be done, the manager will basically always back you up because the bank doesn't want to lose the money if it ends up being fraud.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Starting a internship job monday. Its gonna feel good after working retail for 4 years at a drugstore. I actually avoided this thread for awhile as it made me sad as i had more of the same to look forward too.

It sucked having a poo poo boss. I got a 100% on a secret shopper, got congrats from the head super visor, but didn't hear a thing about it from my boss. During my last two weeks there, an other secret shopper was around at some point (I didn't a 100% that time) but this time she put up a notice on the bullitin board congradulating three other people who got a 100%, including a guy that moved away for the season a month earlier. never getting full time, getting hours cut on a whim. Once cut my hours in half for a couple months because they gave me "too much" hours during the holiday season.

If i ever have a kid, i'm going to be mixed on what to tell him when he gets his first retail job. It would be nice to tell him/her if you work hard you'll be rewarded. But it seems the common sense thing to tell them would be just show up and be a presence, and thats about it.

I'm not saying i'm was the best worker there, but i was one of the best at least. I took shifts when they called me in, as the other teen workers called in "sick" alot.Given the opportunity, i'd fill shelves, which few others did. I was never given a supervisor position, even though i trained people hired to be supervisors on the cash. Some supervisors were happy to work with me, as not only was my cashes were almost always spot on, i actually did stuff without being pestered too.

I got along great with customers, actually had at least four of them recognize me out of work and said hi to me. I live in a small town so thats not unsual to see other people about, but I left enough of impression on them that they liked me, and remembered me. though, in the end, that means nothing in the retail world. Regardless of the fact happy regulars are great for buisness.

I have more to bitch about, but i'll leave it at that now, it will be good not to have to stress over it anymore.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Always remember, your "two-week notice" is still up to the employer. In a previous (non-retail) job, I watched one guy go to give his notice, as he was hiring on in the same position with a different company. Supervisor essentially said "Two weeks my rear end, you're leaving *now*." And had him escorted out of the building. :stare:

I *highly* doubt he was going to be sabotaging poo poo, or stealing "trade secrets", or in general do anything that would necessitate that reaction. I suspect it was just that supervisor being a dick (at which he *excelled*).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ygolonac posted:

Always remember, your "two-week notice" is still up to the employer. In a previous (non-retail) job, I watched one guy go to give his notice, as he was hiring on in the same position with a different company. Supervisor essentially said "Two weeks my rear end, you're leaving *now*." And had him escorted out of the building. :stare:

I *highly* doubt he was going to be sabotaging poo poo, or stealing "trade secrets", or in general do anything that would necessitate that reaction. I suspect it was just that supervisor being a dick (at which he *excelled*).

Actually, rule of thumb back in the day at Best Buy was if anyone was in any position of power that if they put in their two weeks notice, you'd let them go that day. It usually worked out best for the employee (gave them time to get their stuff in order), and you didn't risk any chances of having that employee tank your numbers. Wasn't a vindictive thing, just a "better safe than sorry" thing.

I expected when I put in my two weeks that they'd send me home that day...but alas I had to work out the shifts. :(

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
That is why I have never once put in notice.
Hired at a new job? Tell 'em I can start the next day and quit the current job that day.

Dicks coworkers over, yeah, but most of the jobs I quit were at places where the work was bearable but the coworkers were poo poo.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Strangely enough, the last time I went into my old workplace, my supervisors were really appreciative of me giving notice in a professional manner. This being despite me having to request off two weeks in a row (I wasn't 100% sure if I'd be getting the QA job, so I just wanted to be safe) before doing so.

I guess they were used to jocks doing a whole "take this job and shove it" routine, or people just plain not showing up anymore without any notice. v:shobon:v

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

When I finally quit my retail job after having been shafted repeatedly by the company, I handed my manager my notice letter and said:

"Look, I'm not going to do anything to screw you over because none of this has been your fault, but we both know I've been exploited massively over the last six months. I will not deliberately break anything, steal anything, or be outright rude to any of the customers or other staff, but I will be doing literally the bare minimum to get by over the next four weeks. I will not be attempting to sell anything, pushing any loyalty cards, or frankly doing much more than play the Donky Konga we've got hooked up behind the counter, ostensibly to demonstrate to customers. I'm also not taking the money to the bank any more, or staying in the building a second longer than I am contractually obligated to, so you'll be cashing up from now on."

Six days later, I was given gardening leave in lieu of working my notice. Hellooooo three weeks paid holiday!

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Wait...gardening leave? The hell? Uggh I have got to find a way to get to whatever utopias you people live in. Six months...still no regular replacement for me. And I'm about to get bitched out about some crazy food cost percentage number that was literally pulled out of thin air. I have one more year to get through and I will have my new house that will make things MUCH more bearable.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yay a store complained about me today when I did a delivery! Never mind the store had no parking lot to park in, it being repaved. Never mind that I needed to deliver two small bags there. Never mind there was no safe place to park or leave the van. I called the store while in a fire truck parking zone and asked for someone to come out and pick up the delivery.

The manager was rather upset and wanted to know why he had to do my job for me. After some discussion he came out, walked around the barricaded lot, and took the bags. He told me in the future to go around the back to the alley and leave things there. Okay!

So a few hours later I head back with more deliveries, to the alley, where they have a locked door. I see a fellow employee see me, we meet gazes, and she carefully opens the door, and as I get out of the van, she closes it, safely inside. Leaving me locked out.

Pissed, I leave the boxes in the alley, and as I drive off, I phone the store, and the manager tells me he knows the boxes are there, he saw me deliver them.

He then emails and calls my boss to say I abandoned boxes in his back alley, was rude and lazy, how inconvienent it was that he had to leave his store to pick up an order, etc.

Yes, I shouldn't have gotten pissed at the employees for leaving me locked out, yes I should have knocked, no I shouldn't have left the boxes without someone taking them from my hands, but loving hell, it is you doing my job for ME to pick up some bags when you have no parking lot and I have nowhere to park the delivery car? Then again this isn't the first time I've had issues with this store. So I guess we'll see tomorrow if I get a writeup because of unprofessional behaviors toward coworkers.

I still want to find the employee who met my gaze and locked me out.

This post is 100% surreal.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Always remember, your "two-week notice" is still up to the employer.

I actually did give my two weeks, my boss wouldn't let me quit one shift short as it was a saturday night shift. Due too a weird thing with the internship i needed my ROE (record of employment), i asked for it to be ready when i was done. It two weeks of unemployment for me to get it due to how lovely they handled them. :(

One thing i'm not going to miss about retail were some of the customers. When i first started there, a customer tried to return almost a dozen huge cans of expired powdered baby formula. She waited around the store until we closed, and then brought up multiple bags with the baby formula (which were in old bags that weren't even our store). She tried to claim her boyfriend mistakenly bought all of them the wrong kind and she lost her receipt and just wanted to trade in for the right kind .

Thankfully a supervisor handled it. the woman kept saying things like "fine, i guess my baby won't eat tonight!" in a bitchy tone. the thing was we only carried two of those things at a time on the shelves (and rarely had extra) so it was impossible she got it here. so she eventually convinced it wasn't going to happen.

What a cold hearted bitch, while i admit baby formula was expensive as gently caress (each can was about $20), what she was doing was pure evil, beyond screwing over a store. If her planned worked, she would hope we would put expired powdered baby forumla she dug out of a dumpster on the shelf and sell it. possibly poisoning several babies.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Shnag posted:

What a cold hearted bitch, while i admit baby formula was expensive as gently caress (each can was about $20), what she was doing was pure evil, beyond screwing over a store. If her planned worked, she would hope we would put expired powdered baby forumla she dug out of a dumpster on the shelf and sell it. possibly poisoning several babies.

You...don't actually think they'd put that poo poo back on the shelves, do you? Sure, lots of stores cave in to bogus returns, but they'll usually just throw it away afterwards. No store owner in their right mind would make themselves vulnerable to getting sued for selling rotten food.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

miscellaneous14 posted:

You...don't actually think they'd put that poo poo back on the shelves, do you? Sure, lots of stores cave in to bogus returns, but they'll usually just throw it away afterwards. No store owner in their right mind would make themselves vulnerable to getting sued for selling rotten food.

Yeah, we can't put any food that's been returned to us back on the shelves, even if it's well within the expiration date.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

No, the thing is it wasn't immediately apparent that it was expired. It is a big can of powdered baby formula It didn't look like it was from the garbage. And we often do allow things to be traded with out receipt if it is a different variety of the same thing (bought shampoo instead of conditioner etc). So, if things went as planned for her, and we did think it was from us, we may have let her swap them out and put the cans on the shelves with out thinking about it. (the expiry date isn't easy to see nor find).

Speaking of expiry dates, is anyone else annoyed at the cryptic codes that are often on candy and chocolate like bars? For most of them they have a weird code system and you need a sheet to tell you have to figure it out. Some of them have numbers and letters like "X" representing the months. Or use the Julian calander system, so it would say it expires in "175th day of 2011", after you decoded it of course. Or maybe 6 months from the date clearly printed on it. I can't see why it would be like this besides allowing stores to sell expired candy easily.

I once decoded a bagged candy and found out it was two years expired, my boss put it into a 50% off been with other expired candy. It a medium sized bag of maynards candy, and it felt like a solid hard piece in the bag.

During my last several months, she cut man power from three people per shift to more or less one person. So rather than people on the floor, there was only one person on cash. So nothing was being done. During my last two weeks i had a chance to do what ever i wanted and i decided to be nice and outdate the pop cooler with the personal sized bottles. I found three shopping carts load of outdates. And a couple of cart loads from the food section. and that wasn't counting any of the cryptic outdates i didn't bother with. Remember this wasn't a walmart, just a good sized pharmacy. Don't buy food from a pharmacy unless its from a new display or you can read the outdate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Shnag posted:

Speaking of expiry dates, is anyone else annoyed at the cryptic codes that are often on candy and chocolate like bars? For most of them they have a weird code system and you need a sheet to tell you have to figure it out. Some of them have numbers and letters like "X" representing the months. Or use the Julian calander system, so it would say it expires in "175th day of 2011", after you decoded it of course. Or maybe 6 months from the date clearly printed on it. I can't see why it would be like this besides allowing stores to sell expired candy easily.

I've never noticed anything like this, although since "best before" dates are legally required on perishable food in the UK, the same law probably asks that those dates be readily understandable.

Since I was curious about the mystery dates, I had a quick Google and found out that the US doesn't legally require an expiry date on anything beyond formula and baby food, so I guess allows the manufacturers to get away with that sort of weird cryptic bullshit. Dodgy stuff.