Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Mr Right posted:

Are there any games similar to Armoured Core 2? I loved the whole leaderboard of robots you'd duel with all the different guns and the campaign. But much like Pokémon, it doesn't seem like there are any real alternatives for the PC. :(
If Mechwarrior is too slow, the only other one I've heard of is Heavy Gear. Except it didn't run for me, so it might be out of the question. The closest modern approximation is Front Mission Evolved, but that is a really bad game. I would have to say that the closest good game would be Section 8 Prejudice, but that doesn't have much of a multiplayer community anymore, last I checked.

There is a "mech game" called Hawken coming out eventually, but that doesn't look to be similar except in aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I used to play Exteel and it was a pretty fun "fast mech" game, despite its grindy-Korean-MMO-related shortcomings. Apparently it got shut down in late 2010 though :(

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Positronic Spleen posted:

If Mechwarrior is too slow, the only other one I've heard of is Heavy Gear. Except it didn't run for me, so it might be out of the question. The closest modern approximation is Front Mission Evolved, but that is a really bad game. I would have to say that the closest good game would be Section 8 Prejudice, but that doesn't have much of a multiplayer community anymore, last I checked.

There is a "mech game" called Hawken coming out eventually, but that doesn't look to be similar except in aesthetic.

I'm happily playing on my own and I just bought S8: Prejudice so I'll check it out, thanks.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: wrong thread.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 23, 2011

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Opus125 posted:

Man, I've had a 5770 in my rig for a year now. I'm REALLY itching for an upgrade, yet I'm not sure if I'm really after better performance or am merely seeking the thrill of buying a new gadget. :(

If you are happy with the 5770, don't bother. The GPU market has stagnated below the $200 price point for a long time.

4870 was released in mid-2008 and is ~6x faster than the 7600GT in mid-2006 yet a 5770 took 2 years just to reach price parity with a $120 mid-2009 4870 and has NO overall performance improvement over it. Even GTX 460s are hard pressed to perform 50% faster than a 4870.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
You can get a 560ti for around $220 and it's much, much faster than those cards

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Blackula69 posted:

You can get a 560ti for around $220 and it's much, much faster than those cards

You can get a 6950 for $210 and it's faster than the 560ti.

However the correct answer is to be patient and wait a few months.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2011

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I got a 560ti Twin Frozr a while back for cheaper than I could get a 6950. It's awesome. I think it's OC'd a bit right out of the package but I'm too lazy to check right now.

I recently cleaned up my case too, so with cables tucked away and 2 140mm case fans (1 in, 1 out), I can't make the thing clear 55-60C under load. Like, it's hard to even get it there. This is the summer, with no AC. It idles at like 30-35C.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kegwen posted:

Buy a mechanical keyboard. Trust me on this one.

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Alternatively: scissorswitch have really soft key presses and you can get them for less than a mechanical.

Jesus Christ that's some :spergin: but pretty interesting all the same.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
E-Sports. PC Gaming. People are watching this poo poo in bars now PC Gaming 4Eva

Keyboard: I bought a steelseries 6gv2, and it feels really 'weird'. You should try out a mechanical keyboard before you buy, as the weightiness of the keys, clickyness, tactileness, actuation point etc vary apparently.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

crestfallen posted:

I got a 560ti Twin Frozr a while back for cheaper than I could get a 6950. It's awesome. I think it's OC'd a bit right out of the package but I'm too lazy to check right now.

I recently cleaned up my case too, so with cables tucked away and 2 140mm case fans (1 in, 1 out), I can't make the thing clear 55-60C under load. Like, it's hard to even get it there. This is the summer, with no AC. It idles at like 30-35C.
See, I don't know about my case temperature, but my CPU regularly hits 55 or above when gaming, and I've seen it hit 73 C once; when idle it's at more of 38-45 C, and the GPU -- 5770 1 GB also using Twin Frozr -- currently is coasting at ~40 C.

(Unfortunately, both the cable design AND the case design are not amenable for tucking away or airflow, so the front intake fan's airflow basically blows straight under the GPU, and there's little room for it to travel upwards.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

gokuesque posted:

Keyboard: I bought a steelseries 6gv2, and it feels really 'weird'. You should try out a mechanical keyboard before you buy, as the weightiness of the keys, clickyness, tactileness, actuation point etc vary apparently.

There are only a few really common types of mechanical keyboards, which you can read more about in the Keyboards thread in SH/SC, but there are Blues (clicky & tactile), Browns (tactile, not as clicky), and Blacks (not clicky, not tactile in the same way as the others). The Steelseries 6gv2 has Blacks, which is probably why it feels weird, because they're very different from the other two & what people normally associate with mechanical keyboards. They're actually normally recommended for gaming over typing because of how they feel.

I just got a Razer Blackwidow, because it was the cheapest keyboard I could get with Blue switches, and man it feels & sounds fantastic to type on. It's pretty loud, but I love the sound, it's just like that sound you hear in movies when somebody is typing. I love the sensation, too, it just feels really nice.

But I would agree, definitely try out a mechanical keyboard before you shell out for one, because they are expensive. They're worth it though, and they'll last you forever apparently. Also, do your research on the different types of switches & know which one you're getting (and why) before you buy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hot drat, just bought a G13 today, and drat is it a nice piece of hardware. Just makes WASD and it's cluster of surrounding keys all that much nicer. And that's just with Deus Ex. I'm sure it'll be even cooler with next keyboard-heavy game that comes along.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

:c00l:
I had so much broken parts, lovely warrenty, lovely retailer and lovely poo poo poo poo shortcircuit poo poo; but no more!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why isn't newegg selling that graphics card anymore :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zedd posted:

I had so much broken parts, lovely warrenty, lovely retailer and lovely poo poo poo poo shortcircuit poo poo; but no more!

Very nice, sir! Enjoy your heightened level of gaming bliss.

You have now been upgraded to PC Master Race: 1st Class.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hot drat, just bought a G13 today, and drat is it a nice piece of hardware. Just makes WASD and it's cluster of surrounding keys all that much nicer. And that's just with Deus Ex. I'm sure it'll be even cooler with next keyboard-heavy game that comes along.

Hey G13 buddy. I ordered one a couple of days ago with next day delivery because I was excited to get it. It didn't arrive on the correct day, or the following day. After speaking to customer services it seems they delivered it to the wrong address, so somebody's going to get a nice bit of change selling it on ebay. The company were supposed to phone me back last night but of course they didn't, so today will be 'nag customer service and spend 30+ minutes and Ł3+ on the phone' day :(

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I got one a few days ago, and I'm glad I did. I'm not sure how useful the little screen would be, but the pad itself is really nice. I put some old sticky-tack on the thumbstick so I could comfortably use it to move in WoW, but other than that I love it. I'm especially happy that I got it, because while I also love my new mechanical keyboard for typing, I'm not so sure about gaming (which is a bit ironic, considering that it's a Razer product). The G13 solves that perfectly.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Arcsech posted:

I got one a few days ago, and I'm glad I did. I'm not sure how useful the little screen would be, but the pad itself is really nice. I put some old sticky-tack on the thumbstick so I could comfortably use it to move in WoW, but other than that I love it. I'm especially happy that I got it, because while I also love my new mechanical keyboard for typing, I'm not so sure about gaming (which is a bit ironic, considering that it's a Razer product). The G13 solves that perfectly.

There's a couple of mods you can do to improve the thumbstick. They involve taking apart gamepads and replacing the stick. With most (PS3, 360, generic gamepads) you'll need to sand them down a bit on the round base thing so they fit but apparently the sticks on this Logitech gamepad are an exact match but with a better head.

I've got a PS3 controller that's broken so I've cut the head of the thumbstick off, I'm gonna carve out the inside so it's hollow and stick it on with blu-tack and see how that works.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tufty posted:

There's a couple of mods you can do to improve the thumbstick. They involve taking apart gamepads and replacing the stick. With most (PS3, 360, generic gamepads) you'll need to sand them down a bit on the round base thing so they fit but apparently the sticks on this Logitech gamepad are an exact match but with a better head.

I've got a PS3 controller that's broken so I've cut the head of the thumbstick off, I'm gonna carve out the inside so it's hollow and stick it on with blu-tack and see how that works.

Yeah, I've read about some of those, but to be honest, that sounds like a lot of effort and will definitely void the wonderful Logitech warranty. I was just going to pick up some Sugru and use that for a more permanent solution than the sticky-tack.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Arcsech posted:

Yeah, I've read about some of those, but to be honest, that sounds like a lot of effort and will definitely void the wonderful Logitech warranty. I was just going to pick up some Sugru and use that for a more permanent solution than the sticky-tack.

Thanks for the link to that. I've just ordered some for myself so I can stick the end of my PS3 joystick onto my G13 a bit more permanently and securely. I also just got off the phone and sorted everything out - my G13 should be here tomorrow and I can't wait :)

Edit: These PS3 joystick caps with some sugru inside might be a good solution too. I use the concave ones on my main PS3 controller already and they feel really nice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just a note that Sugru is a massive ripoff for the amount the give you. It's nothing unique, just a room-temp curing silicone putty. You can find similar stuff at arts and crafts stores, and get about 10 times as much for the same price.

Also, they perpetuate the trend of calling every project-y thing a hack, which is retarded.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
Why the gently caress did newegg stop carrying the 6990

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

fuckyoubitch posted:

Because AMD hasn't been able to supply chips to their partners.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Whoever posted the use of MotioninJoy for "PS3 controller on PC" -- it now supports both the Move and Navigation controllers, but not the "motion tracking" functionality, you'll need something else for that. Apparently it also supports the wireless keypad, but I don't have any of my own to test out that with.

Also, it turns out that the PS3 Eye camera (the webcam turned "Move motion sensor") makes a great desktop mic, I just tried it out in Mumble's Audio Wizard. It's actually way less frustrating than my previous headset mic setups, a General Electric-branded headset with detachable boom mic whose cable was too short for me, and the Turtle Beach X31 which either powers off intermittently or drains AAA batteries ridiculously fast. If any of you actually have the PlayStation Move stuff, go give the camera double duty! :haw:

Seriously, here's the driver I'm using (freeware) and its SDK. Install the driver program before plugging in the Eye, and the microphone should automatically install alongside the "webcam," at least on Windows 7.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Chortles posted:

Also, it turns out that the PS3 Eye camera (the webcam turned "Move motion sensor") makes a great desktop mic, I just tried it out in Mumble's Audio Wizard. It's actually way less frustrating than my previous headset mic setups, a General Electric-branded headset with detachable boom mic whose cable was too short for me, and the Turtle Beach X31 which either powers off intermittently or drains AAA batteries ridiculously fast. If any of you actually have the PlayStation Move stuff, go give the camera double duty! :haw:

Seriously, here's the driver I'm using (freeware) and its SDK. Install the driver program before plugging in the Eye, and the microphone should automatically install alongside the "webcam," at least on Windows 7.
The PS3 Eye is the best cheap webcam I've ever had, it works pretty well under low-light conditions and the mic(s) on it is(are) awesome!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zedd posted:

Jesus, is that CPU cooler big enough for ya?

Very nice, though. Enjoy gaming bliss. :)

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I received my HD555 headphones yesterday and they fit and sound like a dream compared to my old $40 Altec Lansing headset. I know most people recommend a desktop mic, but does anyone have recommendations for a webcam? Is there a big quality difference between webcam mics and normal desktop mics?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

fuckyoubitch posted:

Because it's a stupid card with no real purpose

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

Because it's a stupid card with no real purpose

Sure there's a purpose. People who use 3+ monitors to take advantage of ATI eyefinity or Nvidia surround gaming modes for one.

I have a 6990 and it really handles the multi monitor gaming very well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Charles Martel posted:

Jesus, is that CPU cooler big enough for ya?

Very nice, though. Enjoy gaming bliss. :)

That's the Hyper 212+ and it's actually pretty modest as far as aftermarket CPU coolers go. You should see some of the higher end Noctua's.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

Sure there's a purpose. People who use 3+ monitors to take advantage of ATI eyefinity or Nvidia surround gaming modes for one.

I have a 6990 and it really handles the multi monitor gaming very well.

Why wouldn't you just get two 6970s?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

Why wouldn't you just get two 6970s?

I didn't want to mess with Crossfire and space was an issue.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

How is space an issue if you're spending $750 on a video card? It's more than two 6970s, which perform the same or better.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Gunslinger posted:

That's the Hyper 212+ and it's actually pretty modest as far as aftermarket CPU coolers go. You should see some of the higher end Noctua's.

That doesn't look like the Hyper 212+ I just bought...

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

That doesn't look like the Hyper 212+ I just bought...

That's because it's some Zalman cooler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dodoman posted:

That's because it's some Zalman cooler.
Zalman CNPS10X Performa

Zalman makes good fans imo. :)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Now that we're all using G13's I wanted to mention that Fraps supports the LCD so you could have your framerate displayed there instead of on screen if you want.

Also, if you're using it to play DXHR, make sure to set the backlighting to match the golden hues if the game for maximum immersion. I set both my G13 and G510 to gold to be on the safe side.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

I know the G13 uses the same software as my G15 (rev 2) but are there any Logitech mice that do too? I think the G300 will when it's released so I might have a look at some reviews and get one of those sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
The G400, which is the new MX518, uses the same software, which allows more DPI changing options than any mouse I've tried yet, if you like that kind if thing.

As I mentioned before, once I enter all the commands for a given game into the profile, I can drag and drop those commands freely on to, and between, my G13 and G400.

I feel confident in saying that this setup gives the user more configuration options than any other current solution, and is the smoothest and least obfuscated in its setup.

• Locked thread